- Text Size +

 

Two weeks later, Brian realized that Justin's relationship with his half-brother was about to reach a new level. It was Saturday morning, and Brian had returned to his room in order to make his own preparations for his game this afternoon. The sight that had greeted his eyes was Justin slightly bent over the bed, hurriedly placing items into a duffel bag. There wasn't a doubt it made for a beautiful sight - that perfectly shaped ass pulling against the tight denim. Momentarily, Brian found himself envying that rough material, before reminding himself that Brian Kinney didn't envy anything - or anyone. Not to mention, this piece of blond boy ass was off-limits.

 

"Hey, Brian." Justin only looked up briefly to greet his roommate that had been away far more than he'd been present the past couple of weeks. "I guess you're about to get ready for your game."

 

"Yep. Just about." Brian strode over to his closet, focusing just enough to retrieve the clothes he wanted to wear, determined not to let Justin affect him in any way whatsoever. Unable to resist baiting him, Brian tauntingly spoke, "Don't tell me... Mommy can't survive another day without you..."

 

"Cute... but no. Mom seems to be coming to terms with my new life." Justin went into the bathroom, stuffing all the necessary toiletries inside his bag, returning to find Brian watching him with a mocking look on his face, and yet, when looking into the hazel eyes, Justin almost thought he discerned sadness within them. "Actually, I'm spending the weekend with Brandon at his place in town."

 

Brian nodded. He hadn't doubted it for a moment. The two of them had been virtually inseparable since Brandon told Justin about his illness. His concern regarding their relationship had greatly lessened. In the beginning, he had been afraid Justin would hurt his brother when he found out the truth. Dealing with the unpredictability of such an illness wasn't for everyone, and certainly not ideal for a young freshman just starting out his college life. He gave Justin credit for that. Clearly, Justin was standing by Brandon; whether it was out of pity or genuine emotion, he wasn't sure about. However, all that mattered to him was that Brandon appeared happier than he had ever been. Despite how attracted he was to Justin, Brandon's happiness was what mattered the most.

 

"I see." Brian didn't intend to give away any kind of emotion; the fact that he felt any at all, pissed him off. "So... you're finally going to give up that ass."

 

"Who's to say I haven't already?" Justin snapped in aggravation. Damn. Brian could be so maddening. The fact that Brandon was his brother was still so unbelievable to him at times. "Anyway... it's none of your business."

 

Brian arched a knowing brow. "Perhaps not... However, we both know that your hot little ass hasn't been plowed yet. I'm sure that's a lacking my more than capable brother will fulfill tonight. Don't forget what I told you - much like me, my brother isn't a bottom."

 

"You know, has it ever occurred to you that I could be staying with Brandon this weekend out of friendship... and not because of a sexual encounter?" Justin shook his head at Brian's answering snort. "No, of course, you haven't. Brandon has been the perfect gentleman with me." Justin's gaze slid over Brian. "Another thing the two of you obviously don't have in common."

 

Shrugging, Brian blandly replied, "Brandon was given more heart than me. It seems life has changed him from the player he used to be. That's fine, though, if it's what makes him happy."

 

"You don't fool me, Brian." Justin stared at Brian shrewdly. "It doesn't matter how many caustic comments you make, I know how much you care about Brandon. And that being the case, you have much more heart than you want to admit."

 

"He's my brother. Of course, I care about him!" Brian's gaze iced over, every self-preservation instinct kicking in. "It doesn't mean I give a damn about anyone else!"

 

Justin pocketed his wallet and keys, before slinging his bag over his shoulder. He turned to look back at his glowering roommate before passing through the door. "Good luck today against Virginia Tech."

 

"Thanks." Brian walked away before he said more, although he wasn't sure what more would entail... he only knew there was much more he wanted to say. He silently watched as Justin left without another word, confusion etching lines onto his face. What was it about Justin that provoked him so intensely? He was happy that his brother found what he was looking for... but if he were to be honest, he would be more content if Brandon had found that happiness with another man - and not his roommate. Brian figured that familiarity would fizzle out his attraction to Justin in time, along with Justin's continuing progressing relationship with Brandon. He only wished it would happen now. The pointless bickering that he couldn't seem to resist provoking between them was largely contingent on his attraction to Justin. If nothing else, he was honest with himself. For all of their sakes, Brian knew that needed to stop.

 


 

Busying himself with his before-game preparations, Brian frowned when the knock came at his door. Everyone knew not to bother him before a game. Brian opened the door to see Chris staring at him expectantly. "Am I late or something?"

 

"No. I just thought we could go over it together. I called you several times last night. Didn't your roommate tell you?" Chris asked in irritation.

 

"I guess it slipped his mind..." Brian didn't elaborate on the many things that were probably pre-dominant in Justin's mind. Relaying a phone message from Chris Hobbs wouldn't be high on his list of priorities. Brian adjusted his tie, his brow arching as he caught Chris watching him from behind, an almost inquisitive look on his face. "What did you want?"

 

Chris shrugged indifferently. "Nothing important. I just thought we could hang out. Go pick up some chicks."

 

Chicks? Brian held back the shudder. Did straight men even refer to it as 'chicks' still? He wasn't even sure. In either event, it wasn't something he sought to do. He turned to look at Chris, finally satisfied with his own perfected appearance. "I thought you were saving yourself for Lindsay. That isn't going well?"

 

"No. I gave up on that. She wants to be friends." Chris' lips twisted into a semi-snarl. "That's not what I'm looking for..."

 

"Right." Brian didn't fill Chris in on what he didn't know, or what wasn't his story to tell. Lindsay rarely hooked up with men. Occasionally, yes, but that wasn't where her preferences resided. "Yeah well, sorry I missed your call." In truth, he was anything but that. Chris Hobbs wouldn't fit in with his choice of clubbing. He could only imagine Chris' reaction were he to ever step inside Babylon. That was almost tempting to put to the test. Although he knew he couldn't, because it would result in his own secret being revealed, it was still an entertaining thought.

 

"I guess the little faggot was too busy looking for dick to suck to pass on my messages." Chris snickered at the end of his statement, obviously thinking he had said something remarkably funny.

 

Brian moved closer to his teammate, his eyes quickly filling with shards of ice, as he spat out, "Excuse me?"

 

"What?" Chris asked dumbfounded. "You had to know your roommate was queer. Hell, he probably jacks off in the shower thinking about you as his roommate."

 

"Is that so?" Brian drawled deliberately. "You say that as if you think I'm someone to inspire such lust. Tell me, Chris, do you think I'm that hot?"

 

Chris flushed, before he began to sputter indignantly. "O-of course not! I'm not a fucking faggot! I-I'm just saying to your roommate, you probably are..."

 

"Are you sure that's all it is, Chris?" Brian moved closer, his eyes sweeping over him in contempt.

 

"Of course it is! What the fuck is your problem, Brian? You act as if you like the freak." Chris looked at Brian accusingly. "Do you like him?"

 

Brian shrugged, his bag now over his shoulder as he walked to the door. "He's alright."

 

"Alright?" Chris squawked. "He's a freshman... and more than that - he's a disgusting faggot. I hear he's been seen around campus with another guy - clearly, one as sick as him."

 

In an instant Brian lost the tenuous grip he held on his control. He dropped his bag to the floor, before yanking Chris forward by grasping his tightly cinched tie. Pulling him closer, Brian's eyes venomously moved over him, his nostrils flaring in and out in anger. "I'm going to tell you this once, Chris. Forget about my roommate. He's got nothing to do with you."

 

"Shit, Brian! Lighten up! I'm just fucking around." Chris swatted Brian's hands away from his pressed suit, glaring resentfully at the teammate he had always idolized. What the fuck was wrong with him? He just didn't get it. "Damn! What's the big deal? Since when do you give a fuck about anyone?"

 

"I don't care about Taylor." Brian's denial was adamant, at least to his own ears; Brian wasn't certain he believed his words for a single moment. "Here's my problem, Chris, and I don't want to discuss it again. Two issues, in fact. One, the man that Justin is seeing happens to be my brother... and two, your archaic view toward queers sickens me."

 

Chris flushed in embarrassment. It was the look of having been caught red-handed and wanting to do anything to talk your way out of the punishment. "Fuck, Brian. I'm sorry. I didn't realize. I- I mean, I knew your brother was queer... but I had no idea he was seeing your roommate. Don't worry, though, bud. I won't say a word to anyone."

 

Walking through the door, waiting for Chris to follow before closing it, Brian shrugged his shoulders indifferently. "Brandon doesn't give a damn who knows about him and Justin. Now... can you just concentrate on getting ready for this game, and forget about personal shit that isn't any of your business?"

 

Nodding, Chris was quick to answer, "Already forgotten. Let's go kick some ass."

 

As they walked, Brian watched Chris with more than a bit of skepticism. Small-minded bigots really pissed him off. How he wished he could come out to all of the Chris Hobbs' of the world. Someday, he promised himself. When the time was right and it wouldn't jeopardize his aspirations, the hiding would be over. Brian wanted Chris to be the first to know. It was almost ironic how much Chris idolized him. If only he could tell him the truth now. Chris Hobbs would be horrified. As they moved toward the stadium, Brian methodically thought of all the ways his secret could be revealed... all at a time and place of his choosing. Waiting would be the hardest part of all.

 


 

Justin swallowed nervously as Brandon closed the apartment door behind them. He cleared his throat, before speaking, "It was a good game. I was on the edge of my seat."

 

"Yeah." Brandon was quick to agree. "I was worried there at the end, but Brian pulled off an impressive final two-minute drill."

 

"He did. I have to give him that." The game had been a defensive struggle from start to finish. It was a miracle Brian succeeded at that end of the game drive that gave them the victory. "Brian has much to be proud of today."

 

Brandon nodded, his eyes knowing of Justin's obvious anxiety. "Listen, Justin... this doesn't have to be awkward, or anything that you don't want. We can just hang out for the weekend. Nothing has to happen."

 

Justin flushed, instantly realizing how apparent he had been. "No... it's not that, Brandon. I'm just a little nervous. B-but, I want to be with you. I really do."

 

Locking the door behind him, Brandon removed his jacket, his eyes heavy and yearning on the younger man. He began to walk toward Justin. His voice was husky when he spoke, "Justin, I don't intend to either deny or attempt to disguise how much I want you. We both know that I do." He stopped when he was within touching distance, his hand reaching out to cup the back of Justin's neck. "However, I want you to want me just as much. Can you look at me and tell me you do? If you can, well, nothing will keep me off you."

 

He didn't have to think about it; Justin knew he wanted this. "I want you, Brandon. I've been thinking of nothing else this past week. If you think we're moving too fast, well, I understand, but I don't want to wait. I want to enjoy every moment with you that I can."

 

"Then what are we waiting for?" Brandon's eyes began to smolder as they moved over the perfect contours of Justin's face. He was so damned beautiful. Brandon knew he would never tire of looking at him - not for one moment - until he took his last breath. He stepped back, his hand reaching out for Justin's. "Take my hand, Justin. Let's go to bed."

 

Brandon felt a slight moment of guilt at the subterfuge that had pushed them to this point, but he couldn't think about that now. He could fix that later. He loved Justin, and he knew Justin was falling for him too. Right now, all that mattered was that they were together. Nothing or no one would come in between them now.

 

TBC

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Subterfuge? So what do you think that's about?