- Text Size +

 

Lindsay approached Brandon from the side, a frown marring her brow at the intense look of despair on his face. She laid a hand on his arm, speaking softly to him, "Brandon? Are you okay?"

 

"I'm fine," he muttered. "Except... I think I've made the biggest mistake of my life. I'll lose everything..."

 

Eyes widening in alarm, ashamedly she admitted - if only to herself - her worry wasn't for Brandon, but for some reason his brother. A nervous laugh escaping, Lindsay spoke, "It can't be that bad, Brandon."

 

"You have no idea!" he snarled, his footsteps moving back and forth in the spacious park inside the university. "I went too far this time; I couldn't help myself. I had to stop him somehow, but it was wrong. I knew that at the time, and still I persisted. What the fuck is wrong with me!?"

 

"Brandon, honey, you need to calm down. It can't be that bad. Let's sit down on the bench and talk about it." Lindsay's eyes closed briefly at Brandon's statement. I had to stop him somehow. It didn't take much thought to realize what that meant... and who he referred to. Grasping his hand, she pulled him toward the bench, more than a bit surprised when he followed without any resistance. "Tell me what happened."

 

His eyes staring blindly ahead, Brandon began to babble - "I had a fight with Justin; I figured we'd just cool off for a while, then set things right. But no. The conquering hero has to interfere." Brandon's eyes glittered in renewed rage. His mood was all over the place. First, he would be filled with remorse, then he would see Justin with Brian and the rage would swell within him anew. It was driving him crazy. More to the point - they were driving him crazy.

 

So... Brian and Justin were together. Lindsay forced herself not to smile. She knew it was devastating for Brandon, but she couldn't help but think that it was for the best if it all came out now. If any further time passed for this obvious attachment to deepen, she doubted any of them would easily recover. In Brandon's case, she wasn't sure they hadn't already reached that point. "I assume you're referring to Brian."

 

Brandon sneered. "Who the fuck else? Brian has the whole fucking world at his feet, and he has to go after the only man that I've ever cared about. How am I supposed to feel!?"

 

Taking in a deep breath, realizing this was very serious, Lindsay glanced around, thankful that the late hour made it so very few students were passing by; there wasn't a doubt that she wanted to keep this conversation quiet. She had a feeling it would become even more revealing than it was already. "I think you know how much Brian loves you. Sometimes things happen; I'm not saying that something has - I'm just saying that Brian would never intentionally hurt you."

 

Snorting, Brandon rebelliously added, "Ever the supporter. I hope you know that Brian will never look at you as more than a friend. At the end of the day, Brian cares about one person... and that's Brian." Brandon knew there were many reasons why he now spoke out so vehemently about his brother. It wasn't only his jealousy driving him; in fact, that wasn't even what tormented him the most. The most troubling factor was in knowing that his actions tonight might not only cost him Justin, but what remained between him and Brian as well.

 

"If you're trying to divert my attention from what is happening between you and Brian, well, you can forget that. It's not going to happen. My relationship has always been purely friendship with your brother; you know that. Now, tell me what you did that has you so distressed. Maybe we can find a solution..."

 

"A solution?" Brandon scoffed. "Can you turn back time? That's about the only thing that will change what I've done."

 

"Brandon... it can't be that bad. Whatever it is, just talk to Brian. The two of you can work through it."

 

"Work through it," Brandon murmured dejectedly. "I think it will be difficult to work through the fact that I just 'outed' my brother to the worst person possible."

 

Lindsay gasped in shock, and total dismay. "O-Outed? What exactly do you mean?"

 

Staring her straight in the eye, Brandon told her, "I was pissed when I watched Justin leaving with him; I knew exactly where he was taking him. Tonight is one for celebration for Brian. Not only does he score the greatest victory of his college career, but he takes the prize he's been denying himself as well. When Chris Hobbs approached me and asked for Brian's whereabouts - I told him."

 

Instantly, Lindsay stood to her feet, her eyes stabbing angrily into Brandon's seemingly conflicted ones. "You did what? Do you realize the consequences of your actions, Brandon? You need to fix it now!"

 

"I can't fix it. Hobbs is probably already at Babylon... or at the very least, Liberty Avenue. There's no time to stop this." Brandon dragged a weary hand through his hair, his eyes looking away from the censure in Lindsay's gaze. "I know I fucked up; I just lost it."

 

"Yeah, you fucked up... and in a big way! However, as long as Chris hasn't spotted Brian at Babylon, there's time to fix this. You need to remember one thing above everything else - Brian is still your brother. Your actions will not only cost you this man you profess to love, but your brother as well. If his football career is ended by your actions - he will never forgive you. Never!" Lindsay hissed. She began to shake as fear and rage overwhelmed her. "Call Brian now. If you don't do it, then I will. It would be better if the call came from you. It might be the only thing to save your relationship."

 

Brandon shook his head. "It won't be enough. Brian will never forgive me, and Justin, fuck... he'll hate me for sure now."

 

"He will forgive you a lot quicker if you're honest and give him the chance to decide if he wants to be exposed or not. As far as Justin goes, only time will tell. But if you truly love him, you will want him to be happy. Do what's right, and let Justin decide." Lindsay watched the struggle playing out on Brandon's face for long moments, before he pulled his phone from his pocket to make the call. She smiled at him encouragingly. "I know it won't be easy, but it's the right thing to do."

 

His hand trembling, as he pressed the buttons that would direct dial to his brother, Brandon realized this could be the end for him. Not only could he lose the man he loved, but his brother as well. At this moment, he was more than aware of the destructiveness of jealousy. It was what had brought him to this point. Whether his call was received in time or not, he wasn't sure either of these relationships could be salvaged. If that became his reality, he really wasn't sure how he would cope.

 


 

Chris shuddered as he stepped onto the infamous Liberty Avenue. Why the fuck was he here? Brandon was probably setting him up for the humiliation of the most demented kind. There was no way Brian Kinney could possibly be queer. He was the star quarterback - a man that was clearly destined for greatness in a professional career. Brian couldn't have that kind of talent and be a worthless fag. It was unthinkable!

 

He winced as bodies brushed against him as he traversed the busy streets. That it was so widely populated astounded him most of all. There were actually that many queers in Pittsburgh? That instantly gave him pause for thought. Did that mean he was surrounded by queer classmates? Teammates even? Could Brian be one of them?

 

His face reddened in anger as he walked down the crowded streets, his eyes full of hostility at the men that openly ogled him and tried to address him. Mindful that he was out of his element here, not to mention vastly outnumbered, Chris held his tongue and brushed past them all without a word spoken. The last thing he needed was to be party to an incident on Liberty Avenue. His father would disown him, and he would become a total outcast. There wasn't a doubt that he needed to proceed with caution here. However, he would find his answer.

 

Chris scanned every business entrance, and parking lot in search of the club named ‘Babylon'. If either Brian or his car was visible, he would find them. Genuinely, he hoped for Brandon's words to be lies. As much as it might benefit him with more quality playing time, as well as for his own professional career, the bottom line was that he had always admired Brian. He was the symbol of excellence that most young athletes dreamed they could be. Brian had it all, and if it turned out it was based on a lie, one that revolved around the repulsive lifestyle associated with the gay community, Chris knew he would feel betrayed, and ready to wreak total havoc on all that Brian cared about.

 

Yes, if Brian was indeed queer, he would make certain he lost everything. First, his promising career, and then, everything else that mattered. His teeth grinding together in anger, Chris spat out, "For your sake Mr. All-American, you had better not be at Babylon. If you are - I will destroy you."

 


 

Justin looked at the lights of Babylon, a small degree of disappointment afflicting him at his first sight of the club. He wasn't sure what he'd been expecting, but this wasn't quite it. "Uhhh. So this is Babylon?"

 

Smiling Brian answered, "It looks better on the inside. Trust me, Justin, you'll enjoy it." Brian quirked a brow at his hesitant passenger, unable to miss how Justin's apprehension had grown as they neared Liberty Avenue. How he proceeded depended on one thing - was Justin hesitant because of his fallout with Brandon, or could it mean he wasn't ready for this step yet? Either case was a problem, but pushing the blond freshman into a setting not only foreign but uncomfortable to him was the last thing he wanted to do. "Are you ready to go in?"

 

"Can we sit here for a couple of minutes?" Justin beseeched the gorgeous brunet, his eyes pleading with him for some time and understanding. When Brian appeared slightly annoyed, Justin apologetically told him, "I'm sorry, Brian. This is your night of celebration. I shouldn't have come along."

 

Brian started up his car, his hand moving to put it in gear. "Sorry is bullshit. Forget about it. Babylon isn't going anywhere. I asked you to come because I thought you would enjoy it; I still think that." He smiled briefly at his passenger, before he drove away from the beckoning club, and away from Liberty Avenue. "If you don't want to go, I'm fine with that."

 

"Thank you, Brian. I know it wasn't what you wanted tonight, but I'd really just like to hang out with you. If that's okay..."

 

Tossing him a lopsided grin as he maneuvered through traffic, Brian told him, "It's fine. We're friends, right?"

 

Nodding emphatically, Justin agreed, "Yes, I think we are."

 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Brian asked, a scowl creasing his brow when his cell phone began to vibrate in his pocket. He didn't pull it out to see who was calling. "I know Brandon threw you a curve. I've been on his ass constantly to come clean; I'm glad he finally did."

 

Justin turned to look at Brian, his head shaking in confusion. "Curve? We had a fight. And no, I don't want to talk about him."

 

Brian glanced briefly at Justin, before turning guiltily away. Fuck, he hated this! He wasn't a liar or deceiver of any kind. Brandon needed to tell him the truth. Justin deserved that. "Okay," Brian replied nonchalantly.

 

"Anyway, come clean about what?" Justin asked, a part of him thinking he should let the matter rest... but another unable to follow that advice.

 

"It doesn't matter, and it's Brandon's story to tell," Brian swore when his phone began to vibrate again. "Hang on," he told Justin, before he pulled the car off the road and into the parking lot of a 7-Eleven station. He pulled his phone out and glared at the missed calls. "Brandon keeps calling. I'm going to call him back real quick. Then, we can either go back to campus or wherever you want to go."

 

Justin nodded, his lip twisting bitterly. "He's probably asking you where I am."

 

Brian punched in the number, instantly expecting annoyance to follow. Here of late, every encounter with Brandon ended up with them fighting. He had no reason to expect this to go any differently. "What is it, Brandon?" he grumbled, when his call was answered.

 

"I have something to tell you, Brian. I just hope it's not too late..."

 

"Get to the point." He looked at a clearly uncomfortable Justin, before he mouthed to him an unspoken, ‘be right back', more to put Justin at ease than anything else. Stepping from the car, Brian snapped, "Okay, you have my undivided attention. Let's hear it."

 

Brian walked away from the car, his demeanor swiftly transforming from irritated to incensed as he listened to his brother's speedy confession. "You did what??"

 

"I- I'm sorry, Bri. I lost it when I saw you drive away with Justin. I was already hurting from our fight, and then, I saw him leaving with you. I guess I just wanted to hurt you as much as I felt the two of you were about to hurt me. Tell me that I reached you in time. You're not at Babylon, are you?"

 

"No, we're not. I do apologize if that unsettles your plans!" Brian hissed. "I can't believe my own brother would betray me like this! You know more than anyone how much football means to me. Realistically, I know I have to come out at some point... but not like this. It will be at a time of my own choosing!"

 

A lump settling in his throat, the full magnitude of his actions hitting him much more forcefully, Brandon answered, "I know that. I'm sorry, Brian. I swear I'll make amends somehow. I'll tell Hobbs I had a fight with Justin. Hell, that's even the truth."

 

His eyes filling with bitter contempt, and the need for a combination of revenge and justice overwhelming him, Brian spat out, "I don't give a fuck what else you tell Chris Hobbs. However, I will tell you this - I think a secret for a secret is a fair exchange." His eyes glanced back to see Justin still sitting in the car, his voice cutting when he added, "It's time Justin knows of your deception. In fact, it's past time. Once that's out in the open, Justin can make a more informed decision..."

 

"No! You can't do that, Brian..."

 

"Oh, but I can, dear brother. I will tell Justin of your reprehensible lies... and then, if he is so inclined, I am going to do what I should have done the first night." Brian forced the bitter taste of Brandon's betrayal from his mouth, before he twisted the knife further. "I'm going to fuck the shit out of him. You are dead to me now, Brandon... as you will be to him too. Now, have a wonderful evening." A mocking laugh followed. "I know I will."

 

TBC