- Text Size +

 

Three Weeks Later

 

Brian opened the door to his room, his eyes spitting fire when he saw who stood on the other side. His brother had a hell of a lot of nerve... and he wasn't in the mood to deal with any of his many issues. "What the fuck do you want, Brandon?"

 

"Can I come in?" he asked with a bit of hesitation, his eyes uncertain on his brother. It was most likely far too soon for any sort of making up attempt. But Brian was his brother; he had to at least try.

 

"I think we've said all that needs to be said; I'd prefer things not get any worse than they already are." Brian stood in the doorway, unmoving from his blocking of any entrance inside.

 

Brandon nodded, knowing he didn't deserve any consideration... he had just hoped that Brian would give him another chance. Realistically, he realized it was probably much too soon. "Bri, I never meant to hurt you. As soon as I said what I did to Hobbs, I wanted to take it back. It was wrong... and stupid. And most of all, it could have been devastating for you. Believe it or not, I'm proud of all you've accomplished - I don't want your ride to fame to end."

 

Brian snorted. "You could have fooled me." He opened the door just wide enough to let Brandon pass through. He wasn't certain this was in his best interest, but he would hear him out. Despite the deep betrayal he still felt, they were brothers. Shutting the door on him forever was something he didn't really want to do. "You've got five minutes to convince me why I should listen to a damned word you have to say."

 

Nodding, Brandon stepped inside, his eyes sweeping around the room, forcing himself not to look too intently at the empty side of the room that had formerly been Justin's. At this point, he wasn't sure it being empty was a good thing. That emptiness was only a reminder of what was now missing. "Thank you, Brian. It's probably more than I deserve."

 

"Probably?" Brian cut in, his voice was curt and uncompromising. He didn't intend to deviate from his position... that was, not until he was given a good reason for it. "So, what do you want?"

 

Shrugging, Brandon told him, "Just to clear the air. Hell, I don't know what to call it. I- I just don't want things to stay the way they have been between us."

 

Brian looked long and hard at his brother, as he did, the pain of his betrayal boiled angrily to the surface. "I'm not sure we can go back, Brandon. I have always loved you... but what you did could have had irreversible effects. I could have lost everything... and you did it because of jealousy. You could have destroyed your own brother's dreams just so you could maintain some sort of sick power over Justin. It's fucked up. Totally fucked up!"

 

Shifting on his feet anxiously, Brandon lowered his eyes from the intense sadness in Brian's eyes. He couldn't bear to look at him now. "I know it was, Brian." His voice cracked, when he pleaded, "You've got to believe me when I tell you that it wasn't planned out. It was an impulse thing. I was twisted in jealousy when I saw you drive off with Justin; I was still keeping secrets from him, and I knew he was attracted to you. Hobbs came upon me and it just all happened before I could stop it."

 

"Before you could stop it..." Brian parroted. "How about this? You could have walked away and not said a fucking word to Hobbs!"

 

Brandon's face reddened in anger. He got that he deserved it... but still, he didn't find himself to be the only one at fault. Brian hadn't ever given him a real chance with Justin. He had always been there, flirting with him, while insisting that he was giving him a clear field. He never had been, because whether Brian wanted to admit it or not - he had wanted Justin too. In fact, perhaps more than he'd wanted any other man. Until Brian accepted that, he would never understand the stumbling blocks thrown in his way. "Brian, I know all of that. Can you try for one minute to put yourself in my place? How do you think I felt knowing that the guy I started dating, not to mention, the man I cared about more than any other man, was living with you - the man that nails every hot guy he meets. I felt I was fighting a losing battle; in the end, I guess I was just trying to even the score."

 

"I know exactly what you were doing! You thought Justin was with me, so you figured you'd take from me what mattered more to me than anything. If not for Lindsay - you would have never come forward!" Brian exploded. Fuck! Why had he let him in here to rehash this ugly mess? There was no hope for the two of them. The damage was irreparable. Brandon possessed no genuine remorse. He was only sorry he had lost the prize his actions had hoped to win. At least for now, there was nothing for them. In the future, he hoped they could both look back on this unfortunate experience differently, but for now, it was still the ultimate betrayal. It was time to sever the ties. "Go home, Brandon. We have nothing more to discuss."

 

"Nothing to discuss? How can you say that, Brian? We're brothers. How can you just push all of that aside!?" Brandon looked at his half-brother incredulously, unable to believe that he refused to either forgive him or understand. He had been so sure his pleas would work. But if anything, Brian was even more cold to him. He had to wonder if more was going on.

 

Brian walked to the door in sure, determined steps. He flung it open, his eyes stabbing accusingly into his brother's astounded eyes. "Very easily. We're not ready for this talk, Brandon. I'm not sure we'll ever be there again... however, now isn't the time. The hurt is still too deep."

 

Nodding, Brandon moved to the door. Unable to stop himself, yet realizing it was the worst thing he could ask, he cast a questioning look at his brother, before asking, "Have you talked to him?"

 

A coldness of another nature came over him at the unbelievable question. He never seemed to learn. The last thing he wanted to discuss with Brandon was Justin. That always ended in a blow-out fight. In this case, even more so. If not for all of his jealous mistakes, Justin might still be here now. He hated that he wasn't. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, he missed the sweet blond. Perhaps it was time to reach out and make a phone call. It was ironic that Brandon's question would spur on that decision; however, maybe it was time. "That's none of your business."

 

"I shouldn't have asked." Brandon didn't need to be told that his question had been grossly out of place. "I have accepted that I lost any chance I had with Justin, but all is not lost for you, Brian. Justin really liked you... a lot. He is far too hot to be alone for long." A knowing look entered his eyes at the tensing Brian couldn't quite hide from his statement. "It's definitely something to keep in mind."

 

Brian scowled at Brandon's retreating back, hating that he couldn't dispel visions of Justin in another man's arms. Brandon was right. A beautiful and caring young man like Justin wouldn't be alone for long... not to mention one that was hotter than hell. Although he knew he had no right to begrudge Justin that special happiness that could only be found in another man's arms, Brian knew he hoped he hadn't. Even though he knew he couldn't offer the blond what he obviously needed, he still wanted him more than any other man. He hoped that someday they could make a compromise and explore this passion that seemed to bind them together; however, the last thing he wanted to do was hurt Justin.

 

As he stepped over to his bed, Brian stretched out on it, his cell phone feeling heavy in his pocket. Should he make that call, he wondered? That communication could open up doors he wasn't ready to open yet. Closing his eyes, Brian could see the warmth of Justin's smile, and taste the softness and perfection of his kiss. Resisting temptation when it came to hot men had never come easy for him. In Justin's case, it was even more difficult. As he looked at the clock, Brian realized he should be home for the day. Every day, it became more difficult not to contact him. Brian began to wonder if this was the day he succumbed to that temptation.

 

What worried him the most was that Justin might have moved on, and wouldn't want to hear from him. If that turned out to be the case, he wasn't sure how he would respond. All he knew was that would be a most unsettling reality... and one that he hoped would not be his.

 


 

"Justin? Could you come in here for a minute?" Craig asked from his study, a frown marring his brow at Justin's distracted expression. "Is everything okay, son?"

 

Shaking his head, Justin walked toward his father, his brow furrowed in confusion as he approached. This was the first time his father had sought him out since his return. He couldn't help wondering, as well as worrying about what this could mean. "Uhhh, I'm fine, Dad."

 

"Come on in and have a seat. I think it's time we caught up." Craig motioned Justin inside, closing the door once Justin was completely inside. He returned to his seat behind his desk, watching as Justin hesitantly took the one across from him. "How are you adjusting at art school? Is it all that you wanted?"

 

All that he'd wanted, Justin thought to himself. That was a good question. It was his dream. All that was missing was seeing Brian on a daily basis. He wondered how long it would take until he stopped missing his former roommate so much. Feeling as he did about Brian, Justin figured it wouldn't be very soon at all. "It's more than I could have hoped for, Dad. Thank you for letting it happen."

 

"Pitt was obviously my dream for you. It was wrong of me to push you into it. Your mother warned me of that - over and over again, but it appears I can have a stubborn streak at times." Craig grinned good-naturedly; his eyes warm on his son... There was so much he wanted to say to him; it was his hope that he would be able to speak freely about all of it.

 

"At times?" Justin instantly felt at ease to tease his father; a sigh of relief escaping that this was the manner of the Craig Taylor of old. Perhaps everything would be okay now. There was only one way to put that to the test. "Before I got here, I wasn't even sure you wanted me to come home. When Mom showed up alone to pick me up, I worried even more."

 

Craig nodded, a guilty look on his face. "I'm sorry you felt that way, Justin. No matter what, I never wanted you to feel unwanted. It took me some time to come to terms with what you told me back at your dorm room. I know I handled it all wrong... right then, I just didn't know how else to act."

 

Justin bit at his bottom lip uncertainly. "And how do you feel now?"

 

Standing up, and moving around his desk, Craig leaned against it, his eyes filled with a mixture of remorse and love in his eyes. "I was so wrong, Justin. I know my reaction hurt you... and that's not what I meant to do. When you came to us with your news, me running away was the last thing you needed." Craig's voice thickened, when he finished - "I- I'm so sorry for that, son."

 

A tremulous swallow slid past Justin's throat. "It's okay, Dad. It was a shock. I know that."

 

"It was a shock, but more than that, I guess I was just angry that all of my hopes and dreams for you were over. When you left Pitt, I think I realized even more that I had been building every aspect of your life around my own dreams - never once considering that we didn't have the same ones." Craig smiled at Justin reassuringly, his eyes displaying all the sincerity he felt. "I just want you to live a full, and happy life... and hopefully, a successful one as well. Whatever makes you happy is what I want for you."

 

Justin jumped to his feet, tears streaming down his face as he reached out to clasp his father in a tight embrace. "Thank you, Dad. Y-you have no idea what this means to me. I thought that you h-hated me. Knowing that you still love me despite everything, means the world to me."

 

Craig patted Justin affectionately on the back. His voice was rough, when he told him, "Of course I still love you, Justin. The fact that you doubted that fills me with sadness." He pulled back to look intently into Justin's eyes; the determination to do better swelling within him. "I intend to do better in the future. I want to know everything about your life, no matter what it might be. No matter my views on some things, or choices you make, you are still my son... and I love you very much. I don't want you to ever forget that..."

 

A beaming smile came over Justin's face; he felt as if a load had been lifted from both his shoulders and his heart. "I won't forget, Dad. I'm so glad we had this talk; I can't even tell you how much."

 

Nodding, Craig moved to his place behind the desk, grimly accepting that he needed to return to his work. "I am too, Justin." Craig looked down at his desk, a slight frown piercing his brow at the envelope laying on it. Justin had received it in the mail yesterday, but he had forgotten to give it to him. Picking it up, he extended it to Justin, his voice slightly curious when he spoke, "This came for you. I forgot to give it to you last night."

 

Justin nodded; he looked at the plain, white envelope, his own curiosity rising when he noticed the return address was absent. He opened it, a bright smile on his face when two tickets for Saturday's game fell into his hand, and a small note came out with it. His eyes scanned it quickly... there wasn't a doubt he would re-read this note over and over again. Hey Twat. Here are two tickets for Saturday's game. It's the final home game of the season, and I figured you might like to watch me in all my glory. I hope you can be there. Brian.

 

"Is everything okay?"

 

"It's more than okay. Brian sent me two tickets to the game on Saturday. Very good tickets too..." Justin showed them to his father, not surprised when he whistled his agreement at seeing they were seats on the 50-yard line. Looking at his father expectantly, Justin asked, "Uhhh, there are two tickets here. Would you like to come with me?"

 

"I'd really enjoy that, Justin." Craig smiled at Justin warmly, unable to help from observing how much the gesture from Brian, who he knew to be the star quarterback on the Panthers team, and Justin's former roommate, seemed to be for his son. "It appears that you have a very good friend in Brian."

 

Justin's heart leaped in his chest, his smile widening even more. "Yeah, he is. In fact, he's my best friend."

 

TBC