- Text Size +

 

Daphne stood over Justin's normally still body, her eyes narrowing into a frown as she watched the slight twitching on his face. She looked at Brandon who always seemed to be hovering nearby, her eyes alive with sudden hope. "Brandon - look. He's moving. Maybe we should call the doctor..."

 

Brandon looked away from the football game playing on the television, masking his contempt at another celebrated victory at his brother's far too capable hands. Fuck, how he hated Brian sometimes. He was a complete success; all that he lacked was the man that he knew Brian loved by his side. It wouldn't happen; he had sworn that to himself a long time ago. Effortlessly, Brian took everything he wanted - he would stop that reprehensible history from repeating.

 

His only hope was that Justin didn't wake up with a full memory of past events. He had spoken at great length with the doctors; he knew it was possible. However, he had listened to them attentively. The odds were heavy that Justin would regain what was lost before the accident. If that was the case, he really had his work cut out for him. He wished he had more information on precisely how much their relationship had deepened - before Justin was savagely attacked. There was only supposition - and too much of it. Until he could answer that question, nothing else mattered. His only advantage was that he had been here with Justin throughout; in Justin's mind, it would appear that Brian had abandoned him in his most desperate hour. He would play on that to the fullest. The thought that he would still be second best in Justin's eyes, filled him with revulsion, but he would take that for now. In time, Justin would love him again. He knew Justin had once - or, at least, been close to falling for him. Once Justin fully accepted the futility in waiting for his brother - the All-American fucking hero - then he would move in and take what always should have been his.

 

That was without a doubt, Justin, unequivocally belonging completely and exclusively to him...

 

Daphne's eyes widened even further when the start of a smile came to Justin's lips. "Oh my God! Did you see that? He's smiling. He must be dreaming! I bet it's about something that really makes him happy..."

 

Brandon began to grind his teeth together. Dreaming. Despite how he had been the one to be here for him nearly every day, Justin clearly still sought out his undeserving brother in his dreams. He needed to find a way to destroy those dreams - once and for all. Now, he wanted Justin to awaken for another reason. He would destroy Brian in Justin's eyes. It was the only way. He wouldn't lose Justin, not after everything he'd gone through to keep him. More important than that - Brian would not win.

 

"It's nothing, Daphne... merely a reflex action," Brandon looked away from Justin's hint of a smile, and back at the television that displayed a shot of Brian on the sideline, watching attentively as the defense tried to stop the Colts from sustaining a winning drive. He smiled maliciously as he watched them moving down the field; for the first time in this game, the defense came up totally inadequate. This was what he wanted to see. A Jets loss knocked them out of playoff contention. Brian wouldn't be the all-conquering hero then.

 

"I really don't get you, Brandon. I thought you cared about him - wanted what's best for him." Daphne eyed him sharply, her suspicions about him continuing to grow. She'd never liked how Brandon had ingratiated himself with Justin's father, and how Brian seemed to be the outcast. It made no sense. Justin loved Brian - not Brandon. If only Brian could be here. She watched Justin's smile beginning to fade away, transforming into sadness. He was hearing them... she just knew it. She would contact the doctor whether Brandon approved or not. Justin needed to wake up. Not only did she miss him terribly, but his life had been on hold far too long. It was time that changed.

 

Brandon snickered. The Jets lost the game in the final seconds with a successful field goal attempt by the Colts. Poor Brian. His season was now over. He was no longer the hero. That would pass on to some other more deserving player that continued in the postseason. "Awww. The Jets lost. How sad..."

 

Daphne gasped. "It sounds like you're happy about that. What the hell is your problem, Brandon? And why would you gloat about that in front of Justin? You know how Justin feels about Brian!"

 

"That's enough!" Brandon hissed, uncaring of how his voice raised. It was always about fucking Brian! He couldn't seem to escape it. Even now, as he devoted his life to bringing Justin back - still, she had to push his brother down his throat. "I don't give a damn about Brian's success on the fucking football field. This is about Justin, and what's best for him!"

 

Standing to her feet, Daphne gave Brandon a withering glance. "Yes. That's why I'm going to speak to the doctor - now! I want what's best for Justin, and we both know that isn't you."

 

"Don't you even think about bringing Brian here..." Brandon's eyes were filled with immediate rage. "He isn't wanted here, not now or ever."

 

Daphne's eyes swept over Brandon, shrewdly she made the only observation that made sense. "I get what you're doing, but if Justin wakes up, it's all for nothing. He'll dump you just like he did before. He wanted Brian then; being asleep for all this time won't change that. Once again - you lose."

 

"Is there a problem here?" Craig came into the room, his eyes darting back and forth between Brandon and Daphne. "I could hear you both as I came down the hallway."

 

"Mr. Taylor, I'm so glad you're here..." Daphne exclaimed in excitement. "I think you should contact the doctor - Justin is showing signs of responding."

 

Instantly, Craig forgot the strange things he had overheard, his motion propelling him quickly to his son's bedside. "Why didn't you call me?" He looked at Brandon accusingly, his eyes returning to watch Justin's every slight movement.

 

"I think it's a false alarm, Mr. Taylor. We've had a few of those; I didn't want to get your hopes up again..." Brandon hedged, this time uncertain if that was truly the case.

 

"He doesn't want him to wake up. Brandon's entire charade will be over then!" Daphne snapped back, flushing slightly at the censure that appeared on Craig Taylor's face.

 

"That's not true!" Brandon's eyes briefly touched on Justin, suddenly realizing Daphne's words were accurate. Justin was showing signs of a response - a sign he hadn't shown before today. That it came on the heels of Brian's loss was almost poetic... and utterly maddening. Even now, gripped in his unconscious state, Brian still reached out to him. It was all fucking pointless; he was about to give up. If Justin came back with full memory, it would be over regardless. Should that happen, he would make sure he placed as many doubts in Justin's mind regarding Brian as he could possibly manage. The fact that Brian had been forced to stay away, he figured that wouldn't be too difficult.

 

Craig looked suspiciously at Brandon. Every moment of doubt came crashing down on him as he intercepted Daphne's malevolent stare. Daphne had always been a true friend to Justin; she was from a wonderful family, and he had never been given cause to doubt her. He had doubted Brandon from the beginning, but with such vehement words spoken about his own brother, he had to believe him. And with Justin's best interest taken into consideration, he had to protect him above all else. Right now, he began to wonder, though - had he been protecting his son from the wrong man? "I don't know what is going on between the two of you, but keep in mind - you are here for my son's benefit. If you have a problem with each other - it needs to be resolved outside of this room." He looked back and forth between them. "Are we clear on that?"

 

"Of course, Mr. Taylor. I shouldn't have spoken up in Justin's room. I only want Justin back." She continued to glare at Brandon. "Anything that makes that happen is what I want to do..."

 

"Brandon?" Craig asked, his voice emphasizing that he was demanding compliance.

 

Before Brandon could answer, a sound was heard from the bed, each of them rushed to greet it, eyes and mouths dropping open at the moans that emitted from the comatose blond on the bed... or who had previously appeared to be. Brandon held back the longest, fear flickering in his eyes. He began to stammer his words, "Uhhh, maybe I should call the nurse, the doctor, something..." Brandon watched as Justin's eyelids gave the appearance of throbbing, the tissue obviously wanting to open. He caught Craig's eyes only briefly, thankful when Justin's father motioned him away to alert the medical staff. Brandon didn't need to be told twice. He needed to think, most of all, he needed out of this room to do that.

 

Craig moved in closer, his hand grasping Justin's in his own, gently he squeezed it, uncaring of the tears that began to stream down his face. "Justin... son? Can you hear me? God, please tell me that you can and that you're coming back to us."

 

Daphne smiled tremulously as Justin's eyelids continued to flicker, still unable to fully make them open; she looked at the anxious, and expectant look on Craig Taylor's face - it was an awe-inspiring sight. She had never seen Justin's father so open like this. It was amazing. He loved Justin so much; never was it more apparent than now. She frowned when Craig gasped, her eyes pulling to where Craig looked down at their joined hands. In an instant, she knew what it had meant. Justin was working hard at responding. He was coming back to them at long last.

 

Blue eyes were slowly revealed, a mouth that tried to form words, but still was unable to fully function. "T-thirsty..." Justin croaked, confusion filling in his eyes as he took in his father's tear-stained face. "W-water... p-please."

 

Giggling in what was the most profound joy she had ever experienced, Daphne clapped her hands in delight. "Water... he wants water."

 

"Can you get some for him, Daphne? Please?" Craig requested, knowing in this instant he didn't want to release his son's hand, nor reach for the call light. Nothing would take him from Justin's side right now. He had his son back, at least in one form, he didn't want him out of sight for one single moment.

 

"Of course - I'll be right back." Daphne rushed to the door, turning to look back to ask, "Uhm, should I call anyone?"

 

Craig turned from the sight of Justin's painful swallowing through what had to be an extremely dry throat, before he answered, "Get the water, then if you don't mind, you can call my wife." Before she walked through the door, he whispered a shaky, "Thank you."

 

"My pleasure, Mr. Taylor. Definitely my pleasure." Daphne stepped out into the hallway, summoning the first nurse she could find. She smiled as the nurse rushed to Justin's aid, soon after, she saw another nurse, with who she assumed to be Justin's doctor immediately behind her. She looked around, surprised that Brandon wasn't rushing in behind them, ready to take Justin's hand and urge him in his direction. The look of fear in Brandon's eyes hadn't been lost on her; Brandon had used this to make inroads with Justin - or at least he had attempted it. She was certain Justin wouldn't fall for any more of his tricks. Brandon wasn't the brother Justin loved.

 

Stepping outside, Daphne powered on her phone, quickly making the call to Justin's mother. They didn't speak for long; Jennifer's focus was very clear - getting to Justin in the quickest time possible. Biting at her bottom lip, she viewed the list of contacts on her cell phone. She had Brian's number; it was odd how she had forgotten about that. Once when she was visiting Justin, she had discovered his cell phone, unable to resist she looked at the recent calls. There had been one from Brian. Instinctively, she had put the number in her own phone. After speaking with Justin's parents, she had respected their wishes and not called Brian, although she had never felt right about that decision. Now, things were different. So much more so.

 

Moments later, Daphne spoke into the phone. She hoped she was right about Brian feeling as strongly for Justin as she knew her friend felt for him. "Hi, Brian. I hope this isn't a bad time, but I had to call you. I- I uhhh, have news about Justin."

 

Brian had answered the phone in irritation. First, fresh after losing the game that would have placed the Jets into the playoffs; then having it be a caller that he couldn't identify. One he still couldn't place. "Who is this?" he demanded.

 

"Oh, right. Sorry. This is Daphne Chanders; I'm Justin's friend. We met various times at Pitt."

 

"Yes, of course." Brian frowned, his hands pausing as he packed his suitcase, all in preparation for his return trip home. "Has something happened?" Brian could barely conceive of the words, let alone speak of them. "I-is he worse?"

 

Daphne smiled; she had made the right decision. Brian Kinney was as gone over Justin as her friend had always been for him. Finally, things could be set right. "He's waking up, Brian. I don't know your plans or anything like that, but could you possibly come to see him? I know his father asked you not to - but I think things are different now."

 

Brian's heart pounded in his chest. It was a dream, an impossible one that he feared would never come true. Rolling his lips under, Brian asked, "Has he asked for me?"

 

"He hasn't spoken much yet. He asked for water, and I just summoned a nurse to get it for him." She frowned as she thought of Brandon's smug behavior before today and his constant attention to Justin. "Everything happened today when your game was on; I think he started to hear it; of course, I was talking about you to him too. Let me tell you, Brandon didn't like that at all..."

 

"Hold on just a minute. Did you say, Brandon?" Brian's eyes became suddenly wild - jealousy and rage smoldered in him.

 

"Yes. I don't know much about that; I only know he shuts his mouth when I come to visit. I get the feeling that isn't the case when he's alone with him. Who knows what he's been filling Justin's head with while unconscious." Daphne paused for a moment, uncertain how much she should say. "I know he's your brother; I just don't trust him. I think you should come here... that is - if you want to see him."

 

Brian wanted that - more than anything. Now, he had to wonder if Justin wanted that too. It wasn't clear to him how much effect words could have on the unconscious mind, but he knew that Brandon probably had tried to use that time to his advantage. This was the moment he'd been waiting for... and Brandon wasn't going to stop that from happening. It was time Brandon found out that his deceptive behavior wouldn't gain him the ultimate prize.

 

"I'll catch the next flight out, but please keep this between us." Brian smiled as he thought of looking into those beautiful blue eyes again. Fuck how he had missed them. "I want my arrival to be a surprise." Brian ended the call, resuming his packing with much more enthusiasm. Oh yes, he wanted it to be a surprise - not only for Justin, but for his dear brother as well.

 

TBC