- Text Size +

 

Several Hours Later...

 

"Sleeping!? Are you kidding me?" Daphne looked at Jennifer Taylor in what was nothing short of incredulous disbelief. Justin was in a coma for nearly two years... and he needs to sleep? Now?

 

For the first time in two years, Jennifer actually laughed. At least, a laugh that was genuine and not forced. "I'm sure it's just a short nap. His sleep rhythm is normal, the doctor just told us so. I'm sure working his way back into the world is a strain on his body - a body that has had no sustenance other than a feeding tube."

 

Daphne grunted. "I can see that. And if there was ever someone who likes to eat - it would be Justin. He'll want a steak dinner with all the trimmings when he gets out of here."

 

"He can have anything he wants," Craig Taylor stated as he came up behind his wife, warmly placing an arm around her waist.

 

Looking up at her husband inquiringly, Jennifer asked, "Is he still sleeping?"

 

Craig smiled. "Yes, and dreaming. He keeps saying the same name over and over."

 

Brandon looked up from his nearby position, hope flaring in his eyes. "I can go sit with him. He shouldn't wake up alone."

 

Daphne looked at Brandon in distaste. "I'm sure it wasn't your name Justin was speaking..."

 

"How would you know?" he snapped. "Were you in there??"

 

"Enough!" Craig hissed, being careful not to let his voice carry over to the nurses' station. "We won't go through this again. If the two of you can't be civil to each other and remember we're here for Justin and for no other reason, then neither of you should be here."

 

Jennifer looked between Daphne and Brandon curiously. "I'm missing something, but that doesn't matter right now. Craig is right. Justin needs tranquility after his long ordeal. He can't hear the two of you fighting."

 

"I won't say another word, Mrs. Taylor." She cast another pointed look in Brandon's direction. "Justin will say enough for all of us when he really speaks to us."

 

Brandon glared at Daphne for a few moments longer, before turning to face Justin's father, not liking the assessing look he was leveling on him. More to change the subject than anything else, he asked a question that he felt he already knew the answer to. "So, who was he asking for?"

 

All eyes were on Craig when he spoke the name... uncertainty in his voice as he did so. "Brian. He keeps calling for Brian."

 

His face draining of all color, Brandon spat out, "Well, fortunately for Justin, you made the right decision about what was best for him."

 

Craig's eyes narrowed on Brandon, suspicion and doubt only increasing. "I'm not so sure about that anymore. In fact, I'm hoping Justin will be able to clear that up when he wakes up."

 

Jennifer Taylor smiled, her eyes meeting Daphne's only briefly. Thank God, she thought to herself. She had never agreed with her husband's decision to keep Brian away from Justin. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that Brian cared deeply for their son; however, at the time, she was so desolate she had gone with whatever Craig wanted. The hopelessness of Justin not awakening had become her entire reality. Justin needed Brian now. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that Justin would make a full recovery if he had his hero back in his life. At the time, she hadn't realized how much Justin adored Brian Kinney; this information had come to her after she had finally raised the nerve to go into Justin's room, all with the intentions of restoring it to order, only to find drawings, notes, even pictures telling her one thing clearly - Justin loved Brian. "Maybe we should call Brian."

 

All eyes turned to her in shock, Brandon's, in particular, bulged in angry despair. "Call him! What the hell for!" he exploded, only to lower his voice when several nurses gave him a reprimanding glare. "That won't help him. Justin obviously cares about Brian - that's never been the issue. What has been the issue, is Brian's lack of interest in what is best for Justin. You need to do what you've been doing - my brother can't go near him and inflict his poison on him further!"

 

"Poison? Isn't that a bit inverted there... dear brother?" Brian advanced forward, hatred and disappointment evoking a painful ache in his chest. There wasn't a doubt that any chance of a relationship with his brother was now gone. Brandon's continued betrayals had written that ending. "I do hate to air your dirty laundry in front of all of these good people; however, they need to know you like I do - in fact, like Justin does..."

 

Jennifer looked between the two brothers, knowing in her heart they had sided with the wrong brother. For some reason, Brandon had deceived them... there wasn't a doubt in her mind. Why - she wasn't sure. But his goal had been to keep Brian from Justin, and at a most vulnerable time, Craig had been gullible and had fallen into a trap. Thankfully, Brian was here now. She hoped that would set everything right. "Okay. I'm just going to go check if Justin's awake yet." She looked toward Daphne, a welcoming smile on her face. "Would you like to come with me?"

 

Bobbing her head enthusiastically, not only to get away from an apparent confrontation, but the desire to see Justin awake again, she emphatically declared, "Yes! Would I ever!!"

 

Craig stepped in between the two brothers that simultaneously gave the appearance of wanting to rip the other's throat out. "I get there is a problem between the two of you; however, this is not the place to air it. This is about Justin... and what's best for him."

 

A muscle ticked in Brian's jaw, his eyes accusingly stabbing into Justin's father. "We've long been at a disagreement as to what is best for Justin..."

 

Brandon snorted from behind them. "Clearly, it's not you..."

 

A knowing look entered Brian's eyes, an expression of disgust suddenly transforming his face. "I know what you're trying to do. It's not going to work - at least, not this time." He cast a wary look at Craig Taylor, before he took a step back, "You don't need to worry, Mr. Taylor. I'm not going to start a fight with my brother. That's what he wants. He's desperate for me to do anything that will delay me in seeing Justin. And understand me well - both of you - I am NOT leaving here until I do exactly that."

 

"Nice little speech, brother. But your status here hasn't changed." Oblivious to how Justin's father had turned to watch Brandon's expression, the jealousy and hatred clearly visible in his every action, Brandon continued on, "You aren't welcome here, Brian. Go back to your life. I'm all that Justin needs!"

 

Craig shook his head, unable to believe what a fool he had been. It all stared him in the face now, whether he had full confirmation or not. "I think you got that all wrong, Brandon. It's time for you to leave... not Brian."

 

Brandon's jaw dropped down, his eyes wide as he stared at the man he thought he had so flawlessly duped. "I've told you all about my brother, and his so-called concern for Justin. He's just a player. Justin means nothing to him. If Justin can't make the right decision for himself - as his father - you need to make it for him!"

 

Brian felt an ache in his chest unlike any other. It had really come to this. His own brother despised him; there wasn't a doubt, Brandon's game was merely to crush him. As he watched the anger turn into pity in Craig Taylor's eyes, he was thankful that Brandon's charade seemed to be over. "I don't know what has gone wrong between the two of you as brothers, nor do I really care. All I care about now is Justin getting better. Brian is the man he calls out for in his sleep. I've never heard him call your name. That tells me all I need to know."

 

"Get the fuck out, Brandon!" Brian hissed underneath his breath. "There's nothing here for you. In fact, there never has been!"

 

Brandon looked at the two of them contemptuously. He should have known it would all fall apart. It always did; at least, once Brian got involved. He always won. Always! He was sick of it. "Fine, Brian. You win." He looked to Craig, his voice almost hollow when he spoke, "I'll leave without any incident. Someday, you'll be sorry. When my brother has taken everything Justin has to give - he will dump him and leave him only with a broken heart. Remember that you did this to him."

 

His hands clenched into fists at his sides and he was barely able to restrain himself. When Brian spoke, his voice was a mere rasp, "I told you these words once, but then, I had hoped there would be a chance to go back. We've gone past that now. You are dead to me, Brandon. I don't want to see you, hear from you, or even think about you from this day forward. Make sure that I don't... or I swear you won't like the consequences..."

 

Craig looked between the two brothers, unable to believe he'd made such a bad decision. "I'd suggest you leave, Brandon. I won't have Justin upset, and we know if you are bickering so intensely with Brian - that is what will happen. If Justin asks for you, I will pass the message on."

 

Brandon moved away from the two men, his eyes scathing on each of them. "Don't bother, and I'm sure he won't. He has his flawed hero back now. What more could he possibly want!?"

 

They stood silent as Brandon made his way down the corridor, and out the exit doors, each of them reflective on how Brandon's behavior most affected them. Brian tensed when he felt what he soon realized to be a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Brian, I'm sorry. I made a horrible mistake. I feel like the biggest fool..."

 

Shaking his head, Brian smiled at Justin's father reassuringly. "It appears that my brother has become a cunning master of deception. He was determined that you see things his way."

 

"I shouldn't have, though. You were here for Justin - as much as your schedule allowed; I could see the despair in your eyes at the end of every visit... and yet, I still fell for Brandon's lies."

 

"It's in the past now, Mr. Taylor. Let's just move toward bringing Justin all the way back. That's what we both want." Brian rolled his lips under, his eyes staring yearningly in the direction of Justin's room. "When he wakes up again, I'd like to spend some time alone with him. If that's okay with you..."

 

Craig smiled. "Of course. And please drop the formality. Call me Craig."

 

Brian shifted almost nervously on his feet, his eyes glued to the door that beckoned him. "Thank you, Craig. I've waited for this for so long."

 

"I have a feeling you both have. Don't you worry, though. As soon as he wakes up, I'll pave the way clear for your visit. I'm sure Jennifer will understand." Craig shook his head as he watched Brian's entire demeanor relax, the attentive look in his eyes as he watched Justin's door almost protectively. His brother called him a player. No, he didn't think so. He had the feeling Justin was going to wake up and find the man of his dreams ready to commit to him exclusively. Despite his own personal views of that in the past - he couldn't approve more now.

 

TBC