- Text Size +

 

Brandon idly popped a couple of fries into his mouth as he looked at the beautiful blond seated across from him; his eyes wandered away from him briefly to take in their surroundings. "I would have taken us somewhere nicer than McDonald's." He winked teasingly at his lunch companion. "After all, it is our first date."

 

Justin just about choked on his own fries, his eyes widening at the implication of Brandon's words. Oh my God, he thought to himself, was Brandon - the man he'd just met, not to mention, Brian's half-brother, actually viewing this as an actual date? "Uhhh, d-date?"

 

A soft laugh fell freely from Brandon's throat. They had barely talked yet, but still, he found himself completely charmed. He wanted to know much more about Brian's freshman roommate. To his surprise, he wanted to know it all. "Relax, Justin. I was only teasing." His smirk fell away almost instantly to display a more serious expression. "Of course, I'd be more than willing to take you on a real date - if that's something you'd want too."

 

"Hmmm." Justin dipped his chicken nuggets into the sweet-n-sour sauce, before taking a large bite, his eyes on Brandon's intent expression the entire time. "I'll bear that in mind. We'll have to see how our lunch goes first..."

 

"Ahhh," Brandon whispered theatrically, as if playing up to his watchful and amused audience. "The pressure is on now, Brandon. Better watch out. The boy is putting you through the ropes." He pursed his lips, as he continued to say, "Sink or swim baby."

 

Justin burst out laughing. One thing was clear - Brandon was very different from his half-brother. They each might be hot in their own right... but that seemed to be where the similarity ended. "You know what, Brandon? I like you."

 

"I'm very glad to hear that." Brandon placed a hand over his heart, effecting a pose of a broken-hearted man, should the case be different. Brandon leaned across the table, before he whispered in conspiratorial fashion - "How about I go visit the Dean of Students, and request you be switched with my roommate?"

 

"As tempting as that may be... and trust me when I say it is; I am settled in now, so, I think I should stay." Justin knew such a transfer wouldn't be easy or commonplace, nor was he certain he wanted to do that.

 

Brandon effected a fake pout. "You don't want to live with me... I'm crushed, Justin. Completely, and beyond consoling."

 

Justin finished off his lunch, and took a long drink, before he responded, "I really doubt that. In fact, if you're anything like Brian, I'm sure you'll be fixing that tonight."

 

"I love my brother, and I understand him... but no, Justin, we aren't that much alike."

 

Easily detecting the affection in Brandon's voice, Justin was quick to surmise, "The two of you are close, then."

 

Brandon shrugged. "I like to think so... but one never knows with Brian."

 

"Now that I can believe." Justin finished the last of his drink, before placing his empty cup on the tray, an understanding look in his eyes. "I'm sure he's a great brother, but to the rest of the world, well, let's say he's a bit... umm, difficult."

 

Laughter erupted from Brandon, a smile quickly brightening his face. "I'd say you've gotten to know my baby brother quickly."

 

"Baby brother? He's a junior... so, I'm assuming you're a senior?" Justin asked, finding this new dynamic of Brian having a brother extremely interesting.

 

"That's right." Brandon's eyes became flirtatious, his hand reaching across the table to cover Justin's suggestively. He winked lewdly, before he told him, "A good reason for us to take advantage of our limited-time together..."

 

Justin rolled his eyes; he stood to his feet and pushed back his chair to throw out his trash and replace the tray. He smiled at Brandon who was at his side doing the same. "In some respects, you are just like your brother."

 

Brandon mentally groaned. That meant one thing alone. Justin knew Brian was gay. That was surprising in itself. Brian was very careful who knew about his sexual orientation. He had so much to lose; Brian hadn't found that someone who would make him risk his dreams. Knowing the talent Brian possessed on the football field, he wasn't sure he blamed him. As they walked the short distance to his car, Brandon couldn't help but wonder how Justin found out about Brian. Had he just known... or had something happened between them already? "So... I guess you got to know Brian very well, and so quickly..."

 

"Uhhh yeah, a bit too well." Justin flushed when he remembered his instant view of Brian in action.

 

"How disappointing," Brandon murmured as he placed the car in drive. "There goes my chances..."

 

Justin grunted. "You're kidding, right?"

 

"Are you telling me that Brian didn't try anything?" Brandon glanced at Justin dubiously, as he turned the corner that would lead them directly back onto campus.

 

"Well no, I'm not telling you that, but it's not going to happen. Brian knows that too." When Brandon cast a skeptical look his way, Justin further explained, "I can't play his games, Brandon. Maybe it works for him, but I can't be with him one night, then the next, be treated like I'm either invisible or unimportant. I'm just not built that way."

 

A few minutes later, Brandon parked his car, he half-turned in his seat to look at Justin. He could see the beautiful blond meant exactly what he said. "I can't believe it..." Brandon whispered in what was clearly shock. "My brother has actually been rejected..."

 

Justin laughed. "You say it like it's never happened."

 

"You laugh... but as far as I know - it hasn't." Brandon shook his head as he stepped from the car, unable to believe what Justin was telling him, and yet, there was nothing hesitant in Justin's voice. He had turned Brian down. The only thing he had to determine was how Brian took that. "So, uhhh, did he get mad?"

 

"Who knows with him?" Justin responded as they walked toward his dorm. "I told him I thought it best we stick to being friends. I'd like to be his friend... most especially since we're roommates."

 

Brandon's head arched back as laughter erupted. "Brian was trying to score, and you asked him to be friends. That had to have been something!"

 

Justin remembered it well. "It was awkward at first... but I think he handled it."

 

"Don't tell me. I bet I can guess." Brandon led him up the stairs; he made certain they weren't within hearing distance of any of the other guys moving about. "He probably went out to find a trick... making sure to tell you what he'd be doing."

 

"More or less..." Justin didn't look at Brandon. He didn't want him to know how that had hurt him... how much he knew Brian's meaningless encounters would continue to hurt him. The more he thought about it, the more he felt he had to let go of any romantic thoughts of Brian Kinney. They wanted completely opposite things out of a relationship, that was, if you could call what Brian did being in a relationship. He smiled stiffly at Brandon when they reached the landing to his room. "That's just not for me."

 

Brandon nodded. He could see much in those beautiful blue eyes. Justin did want Brian, but he wasn't going to act on it. He respected the blond even more. That made his decision very clear. He needed to talk to Brian before he pursued anything with Justin. Knowing Brian as he did, he knew he wouldn't try to stop him over someone he'd just met, but he wouldn't compete for Justin with his brother. Justin deserved better than those sorts of games... and his relationship with Brian was solid. He wouldn't tamper with that.

 

Once they reached the door, Justin smiled at Brandon warmly and with a questioning light in his eyes. "Uhhh, thank you for lunch, Brandon. It was nice having someone to talk to. Did you want to come in?"

 

"Yeah. I'd like to talk to Brian... if he's around." Brandon followed Justin inside the room, his eyes immediately finding Brian reclining on his bed, playbook in hand. He moved closer as Justin closed the door, and went to his side of the room. "Hard at it again, baby brother?"

 

Brian smiled, flipping the book shut; Brandon was one of the few interruptions he didn't scowl at. "Hey, Brandon." His eyes slid to his hot, blond roommate that was attempting to make himself as unobtrusive as possible, an eyebrow arching curiously. "I see you met my roommate."

 

"Yes. He answered the door when you were in the shower." Brandon met Brian's blank stare. "Do you think we could take a walk or something, Brian? I'd like to talk to you."

 

"Is everything alright?" Brian sat, and stood quickly, his footsteps moving closer to his half-brother, concern clearly displayed on his face.

 

Brandon scowled at Brian's reaction. "I'm fine..." he snapped. "I just need to talk to you."

 

Justin looked over at them in slight surprise. He hadn't heard Brandon's voice carry any sort of sharpness since they'd met... he was clearly perturbed now. "Hey, you don't need to go out. I wanted to take a walk around the grounds a bit. I still need to pick up some books and supplies... so you can have all the privacy you need."

 

"Thanks..." Brian answered, his eyes never leaving his brother's tense face.

 

Brandon relaxed, seeing that Brian wasn't going to say more than he wanted to be spoken. He smiled and winked at Justin. "Yeah, thank you, Gorgeous. This won't take very long."

 

Justin flushed at the open admiration in Brandon's eyes, his footsteps quickly carrying him to the door. "See you later."

 

"Later..." they both replied, both sets of eyes watching the blond boy's retreat, appreciation for the sight equal in each man.

 

"So, what's up?" Brian asked, his eyes narrowed on his brother, his knowing gaze taking in every expression on Brandon's face. "Nothing is wrong - seriously?"

 

Brandon took a deep breath. Damn. Why did Brian always have to worry so much? "I'm fine, Brian. Never felt better..."

 

"Okay. What's on your mind?"

 

"Uhhh, it's Justin." Brandon watched Brian's face closely for a response; it was of no surprise to him when he got that familiar blank stare.

 

"What about him?" Brian grumbled, retreating to sit on his bed... relieved that everything was fine with his brother. Although he wasn't sure he liked the direction this conversation was going.

 

Brandon moved to sit next to him, his words tumbling out freely - "I wanted to ask him out, and well - I want to make sure you would be okay with that."

 

"Why the fuck wouldn't I be? I just met the little twat. He doesn't mean anything to me..." Brian shrugged off the annoyance that hit him the minute the words came from Brandon's mouth. They had never fought over a trick. He wasn't about to start now. True, he had seen Justin first... but it was obvious Justin wasn't on board with the way he lived his life. He didn't intend to change his ‘safe' philosophy for anyone - not even the hottest piece of blond boy ass he had ever seen.

 

"That's a bit harsh, Bri. He doesn't deserve that," Brandon answered defensively. A dreamy expression came over his face. "He's hot and unbelievably sensitive. I'd really like to get to know him better."

 

Brian snorted. "You got all that from one meeting?"

 

Brandon nodded. "Some things a man just knows. So, you mean it, then - if I ask Justin out, you truly won't mind?"

 

He stood up from the bed, his feet taking him over to the closet to put on a shirt. Suddenly, he felt the need to keep himself busy and moving. "No, I don't mind." He smiled at his brother tightly, before he told him, "Go for it. Fuck the shit out of him."

 

"We'll have to see about that. For now, I'd just like to get to know him." Brandon eyed his brother sharply for a minute. "I want you to promise me something, Brian."

 

Brian looked at him, he knew exactly what he was about to say. "Have I ever told anyone, Brandon? That's your business to share with whoever."

 

"Thank you, Brian." He moved to the door, an excited glint in his eyes. "I'm going to see if I can find Justin. If I'm lucky, I might have plans tonight."

 

"Lucky?" Brian scoffed. "We're brothers. You can score any man you want."

 

Brandon smiled. "Well, only if you don't beat me to the punch. I guess this time you didn't."

 

Brian wasn't going to lie and say he hadn't wanted to fuck Justin. That wouldn't be happening now; at least, not as long as Brandon was interested in him. In more ordinary circumstances, Brian might have engaged in some sibling rivalry and competitive spirit. However, his circumstances were far from ordinary. Brian wouldn't fight his brother for Justin. Brandon deserved to be happy. Life hadn't been kind to his brother. Recently, things had been going better for him; Brian only hoped that continued. "I guess not," Brian agreed.

 

"Talk to you later, bro. Good luck with the playbook." Brandon slipped from the room, his steps taking him down the stairs and off in the direction of where he hoped to find Justin. He had mixed feelings about his talk with Brian. There was an underlying tone in his brother. Brian had said all the right words, but had he really meant them? He really hoped so. Justin was special. He hoped to find out exactly how much so.

 

TBC