- Text Size +

 

Brian stepped out of the bathroom, his eyes were immediately drawn to the sight of Daphne hugging Justin goodbye. She glanced at him only briefly, disapproval clearly in her eyes before she exited the dorm room they shared. His eyes pulled to the luggage, and boxes perched close to the door. He shook his head in sudden acceptance. Justin was really leaving Pittsburgh University, and more importantly - Justin was leaving him. Clearing his throat, Brian needlessly observed, "So... you're really leaving..."

 

Justin closed the door behind Daphne, the goodbye with his oldest friend far more emotional than he had ever expected. Not looking at the boy that affected him on so many levels, Justin sat down on his bed, his eyes staring at his belongings that would soon be making the return trip home. "Yep. That's the plan."

 

Hesitantly, Brian took a few steps forward. He didn't want to crowd Justin, and yet, he didn't want what was obviously their goodbye to be filled with such tension as they had been living the past week. There wasn't a doubt that he didn't want a goodbye at all, but it seemed that was what Justin intended to happen. He couldn't stop it now. "Listen, Justin... Can we talk for a minute?"

 

Shrugging, Justin glanced up at Brian. He didn't need to look to see that his roommate had moved closer, and was no longer leaning against the bathroom door. He always knew when Brian was near. That awareness of his proximity was often an annoyance to him; still, one that was irrefutable. When Brian was close, he just instinctively felt him. He wondered if he would miss that in his life. "I thought we said it all, but I guess I'm stuck here until my mom gets here."

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian asked, "Just your mom? Your dad isn't coming too?"

 

A hint of sadness entered Justin's eyes, this time, one of another sort altogether. "Dad is too busy with work. At least, that's what my mom told me on the phone. I'm sure I'll be seeing him tonight, though."

 

"I'm sure you will." Unable to maintain the distance, Brian moved closer. Without asking, he sat down next to his soon-to-be ex-roommate, hoping he wasn't crowding his space too much. But if this was to be the end, he wanted to clear the air completely. "Give it time, Justin. I have a feeling that's all your dad needs. He didn't seem to flip out like some fathers do. You could just be one of the lucky ones when it all comes together."

 

Justin snorted derisively. "One of the lucky ones..." He shook his head sadly. "I sure don't feel very lucky."

 

"I wish you would stay and work this out, Justin. It feels too much like you're running away. How can you know if we could be more than friends if you won't stick around to find out?" Brian couldn't believe he was speaking those revealing words. In his own way, he was admitting that Justin meant a bit more to him than the other people in his life. He didn't do that with anyone.

 

"Don't do this, Brian. I don't need this now." Justin was barely holding it together as it was... he didn't need Brian filling his head with doubts or regrets. He had plenty of those on his own. "This isn't just about what happened between us... or, I guess I should say - what nearly happened. It's not about Brandon, either. Pitt was never the right fit for me. This was more of my father's dream. I want something completely different."

 

"Art school..." Brian mused. "I've heard you talking to Daphne about it, and I've seen some of your drawings. You will be fucking amazing someday. Fuck. You already are..."

 

Justin flushed. He hadn't been aware of Brian even noticing his art. Knowing that he had and that he thought him talented, had his heart pounding in his chest. "Thanks..." Justin mumbled almost shyly. "My parents got me into PIFA. It's really what I wanted all along. Now seems the time to make that change."

 

"I get that sometimes parents can push you into things you don't want. I guess it's good that you won't be. What time are you leaving?"

 

"My mom should be here in about an hour." Justin forced himself to remain still on the bed, and not obviously move away from Brian's nearness. As much as he felt uncomfortable by Brian being close... he exhilarated in the feeling too. He was going to miss Brian... in fact, so much more than he wanted to admit. However, this was how it needed to be. At least for now...

 

Brian found himself asking the question he didn't want to ask, but for some reason, he had to ask it. "Did you say goodbye to Brandon?"

 

"Briefly," Justin answered. "I didn't want to prolong it, nor give him any reason for hope." Justin's mouth was tight-lipped when he spoke, "There is none at all. My relationship with him was a mistake, and too much happened - as you know very well. I simply ended it by telling him that maybe someday we could be friends."

 

"I hope he didn't give you a rough time about it. I know how he's been lately..." Brian had mixed feelings about his brother. He wasn't sure if they could ever come back from Brandon's betrayal; right now, he wasn't certain he wanted to even try. However, in time, he hoped they could - although he knew things would probably never be the same again.

 

"He wasn't too bad... especially when thinking of how he's been recently. Obviously, he was disappointed; I just hope he doesn't cling to hopes that we can go back." Justin knew that time wouldn't change that for him. If he did get involved with another man, and he knew that could happen, at least it wouldn't be Brian's brother. He was realistic enough to admit that Brian would always be compared to every other man he ever met. He wished it wasn't that way, but he had given up on denying what his mind and heart knew to be true. Perhaps time could write them a different ending. He really didn't want this to be it.

 

Brian didn't want to waste what little time they had left talking about Brandon. He had to know where they stood with each other... He wasn't certain why he felt so compelled to learn that answer - it was just one of those things that would have driven him crazy if he hadn't known. "You have my number, right?"

 

Justin laughed, more in an attempt to keep things light between them. "In more ways than one..."

 

"Cute..." he muttered. "So, is it okay if I call you sometime? I- I mean, if you want this to be a permanent end, well, I'll respect that. But..."

 

His head turned sharply to look at Brian. He was amazed by what he heard in his voice. Not only was there hesitancy, but there was also a hint of vulnerability as well. At this point in time, Justin realized maintaining contact with the boy that essentially owned his heart was not in his best interest, but could he refuse what Brian so obviously wanted? Knowing that he didn't want to lose complete touch with him, Justin answered in the only way his heart would allow him to. "Well, we're friends, right? I see no reason we can't keep in touch."

 

Brian turned his head to look at Justin, he did nothing to hide the want from his eyes. Yeah, they were friends, but it was so much more. Perhaps someday he would be able to label it more appropriately. "No reason at all," Brian repeated, his eyes fastening hungrily on the full lips that he knew only too well how perfect they felt and tasted beneath his own. He wanted Justin so fucking much; however, right now, all he wanted was that kiss. There wasn't a doubt it would lead him into wanting much more. He was realistic if nothing else. A kiss always led him into wanting more when a hot guy was involved. With Justin, it reached an entirely new level. Re-opening this door probably wasn't best for anyone.

 

"I'm going to miss you, Brian." Justin couldn't stop from confessing. There wasn't a doubt of the validity of his words. He just wasn't sure it was wise to speak them. The gleam in Brian's eyes warned him of his desire for him. It was fully returned. Justin knew he couldn't give in to those feelings, though. Doing that would make his leaving here... and more importantly, Brian himself, all the more devastating. That wasn't something he thought he could endure.

 

"I've gotten used to having your little freshman ass around too." Brian smiled at the young blond, so much in his mind that he wanted to say, yet for the first time, uncertain of exactly how to convey his thoughts. "This doesn't have to be goodbye, Justin." Brian looked down and away from the probing, inquisitive beautiful blue eyes. "I don't think either of us wants that."

 

Regardless of the answer, Justin had to ask the question - he knew he would go insane if he didn't. "Exactly what do you want?"

 

Brian's head snapped up; his eyes were smoldering as they looked at the hot blond - a man that was far more to him than a sweet piece of ass... if he was to be completely honest with himself. "I've never disguised what I want. Even when you were dating my brother, and I was trying to keep my distance, what I really wanted was still out there to clearly see."

 

"Right. You wanted to fuck me. I wish I could be one of those guys that could be in your bed and cast aside the next day. I- I just can't be that man." Justin bit at his lower lip that was suddenly trembling. "I just care too much."

 

His eyes sweeping over Justin's expressive, and hauntingly beautiful face, Brian whispered raggedly, "I can't imagine a time that I won't want to fuck you. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I could kick you out of my bed as I do all the others. There's something different about you. There always has been..."

 

Justin closed his eyes for a short moment. Brian's words moved him more than he could say. Despite Brian's typical behavior, at least to this point, one thing was clear - Brian did care. If only Brian could ever care about him enough to make him the only one. He could live with Brian needing to keep his sexuality private from the world. What he couldn't handle was being with Brian and accepting his constant tricking. Each occurrence would break his heart even more. He only hoped that distance would lessen how much Brian's lifestyle affected him. "Maybe someday," Justin whispered. About to say more, he just about jumped from his bed when he heard the knocking at the door. It was time to leave. "Just a minute," he called out. There wasn't a doubt in his mind it was his mom.

 

She called through the door. "Take your time, Justin. I need to go to the Dean's office and sign some forms. Come on down when you're ready."

 

Standing to his feet, Justin glanced around the room, looking for anything he could have missed. More than that - trying to distance himself from Brian before he launched himself straight into his arms. "I guess it's that time."

 

Brian swallowed, intentionally clearing his throat to keep it from cracking when he spoke. "It seems so."

 

"I'll still come to your home games." Justin smiled at him, unaware of how they shined as he looked at the older boy. "I wouldn't miss them for anything."

 

"Maybe we can hang out afterward... or something." Brian knew he didn't need to elaborate on precisely what he hoped they could do after his game. It wasn't something he was going to push - at least, not right now. What mattered most was that Justin wasn't shutting him completely out of his life. Perhaps it was something that could be built on in time.

 

"Anything is possible." Justin emitted a weak laugh. "Just think of our beginning. Who would have ever thought we could become friends?"

 

Brian nodded, slowly he stood and made his way over to where Justin stood. "This isn't a question I usually ask a man, but the circumstances are different." When Justin met his gaze with a questioning look, Brian continued, "May I kiss you goodbye?"

 

Justin could think of so many reasons why he should refuse... but at the moment, his desire to say yes far overwhelmed that of common sense. "I- I don't suppose it could hurt."

 

Uncertain if he agreed with that or not, Brian moved in closer. A kiss might make their separation more difficult... but right now, all that mattered was tasting those lips again. Tomorrow, and all the days after, will take care of itself. In this moment, all he cared about was the present. Not giving the blond a chance to change his mind, Brian reached out and cupped his hand behind Justin's neck, pulling him closer he gently lowered his lips onto the beautiful ones that were always so beseeching to him. Justin's lips were like no other. They were full, soft, sweet... and infinitely pliable. He could spend hours learning them, before fully devouring them, although he knew now wasn't that time. He would have to be content with the kiss they shared now.

 

Sliding his arms around Brian's waist, Justin began moving them down Brian's back, his mouth instantly opening in response to the thrust of Brian's tongue. It was the single most beautiful kiss he had ever enjoyed. Initially, it had started as a tender, searching caress. Quickly, it evolved into one of deep passion. A desire that neither man could fulfill now, yet one that would linger in their memories... only making them want more each time they looked back on it. Justin didn't want to let go of Brian; even though he knew it was for the best... at least for now.

 

Pulling back, Brian looked into the star-eyed gaze of the beautiful blond. He swept his thumb over Justin's lips, knowing he would never forget this glowing look on Justin's face. No matter how much time passed - he would always remember this moment. All at once, Brian felt more hope than he had ever felt before. They needed this time apart - Justin did especially. It would work out. His voice slightly rough, Brian told him, "Our story isn't over, Justin Taylor. It's only time. We just need some of that time to pass." Brian kissed Justin once more, deeper, and with a desire that he knew wouldn't be satisfied for some time. He knew it would someday... at least he hoped it would. For now, they just had to live this part of their lives.

 

Justin wrapped his arms tightly around Brian's waist, his head moving to rest on his chest when their lips finally separated. It's only time, Brian had said. Yes, that was true, he thought. Only time. All things were possible in time. For now, he had a beautiful friendship, one that held the possibility of much more someday.

 

Right now, that would be enough.

 

TBC