- Text Size +

 

 

Justin's head hung low as he was led into the courtroom, his ears instantly picking up on all the whispering that was the only real audible sound. He couldn't look behind the defense table to see the pain and torment in his mother's eyes. Justin knew without looking, that Daphne would be at her side, offering as much comfort as she could; having no doubt that his father would be absent from the sentencing that would send his only son away for years... if not forever. In his mind, he could hear his father apologizing to Chris Hobbs' father for the death that had been the supposed direct result of Justin's altercation with Chris. However, it was a crime that he hadn't committed. When he had left Chris that morning - he had been very much alive. But that didn't seem to matter now. He was moments away from being sentenced. Justin knew the punishment would be harsh, and that his innocence would never be proven. Judge Tremont had made it known from day one - no leniency would be applied in Justin's case. The fact that Justin had no criminal history meant little to nothing to him. As much as the thought of prison frightened him, he just wanted to end his mother's suffering. Closing this chapter of his life was the only way to move toward that.

 

Everyone stood to their feet as the judge appeared in the courtroom, all eyes on the man empowered to enact what the judicial system equated to justice. Judge Julian Tremont pounded his gavel, before advising the courtroom to be seated. He looked at Justin with a cold, unflinching stare. "Mr. Taylor, do you have anything to say to the court before your sentencing commences?"

 

He had much to say... although none of which would help him now. Clearing his throat nervously, he lifted his gaze apprehensively to the judge. "No, Your Honor."

 

"Very well." Judge Tremont frowned, his disapproval showing. "Despite you not having a previous criminal record, I don't intend to be relaxed on your punishment. The state impressed upon the court the need for harsh punishment, as well as the pain and suffering inflicted upon your victim, and that of his family."

 

Justin listened without speaking a word, inwardly wanting to shout out for all to hear - ‘I didn't kill Chris. When I left him, he was very much still alive...' He remained silent and respectful to the judge, realizing if their positions were reversed, he would believe the worst as well.

 

"You are sentenced to serve ten years at Greensburg State Correctional Institution, with a possibility of parole after five years served. This is not even the harshest punishment the court could impose." Judge Tremont looked at Justin sternly, his eyes continuing to pierce him intently. "Your legal counsel is free to seek an appeal; however, you leave for Greensburg at eight a.m. tomorrow morning."

 

Jennifer Taylor gasped, her hand squeezing Daphne's tightly... tears of disbelief filling her eyes. Both women's lips began to quiver, Jennifer whispering aloud without thinking. "No. He can't. Justin is innocent..."

 

"Shhhh. We have to be quiet, if for nothing else, then for Justin's sake..." Daphne warned, flinching under the cold stare being administered by the uncaring judge.

 

"Silence!" Judge Tremont thundered. His cold, analytical eyes returned to probe Justin's face that had lost all color. "Do you have any questions, Mr. Taylor?"

 

Justin swallowed deeply, forcing himself to be strong and not collapse. "No questions, Your Honor."

 

"Good." The judge looked toward the guard, nodding his head meaningfully. "Court is adjourned. Guard, take the prisoner back into custody."

 

As he was escorted from the courtroom, Justin glanced over briefly to see Daphne and his mother in each other's arms... broken sobs causing their bodies to shudder. He couldn't even mouth to them that it would be okay. At this point, that seemed far removed from the truth. He was on his way to prison. A minimum of five years, with a maximum of ten years. Justin wasn't naïve. He knew the sort of men he would now be forced to coexist with, just as he knew he wouldn't fit in with such a group. Justin knew he would be lucky to survive.

 


 

Brian strolled into Babylon earlier than usual, his eyes surveying the hot men that had just started to arrive, his demeanor giving the impression he owned the place. It would be a valid assessment. He did own the club. Brian had never cared about how it reflected on his ‘day' job. In his mind, the two worlds were entirely separate. After a long day of keeping the prison running smoothly, he needed to lose himself not only in the tricks he picked up... but another world entirely. Owning Babylon was what Brian thought kept him sane in his mad, mad world.

 

Approaching the bar, he nodded to his bartender. "Hey, Steve."

 

"Good evening, Brian. Get you a Beam?" he asked courteously, both of them knowing that was how Brian would start his evening.

 

"Yeah. Thanks." Brian's eyes moved down the bar, a frown piercing his brow when he noticed Ted and Emmett walking toward him. He didn't often arrive this early. Brian wondered if that meant they always did. He decided it didn't really matter. Money was money. In actuality, Ted had probably been minding the books when Emmett arrived and pulled him away.

 

Ted took a sip of his beer, looking at Brian with a knowing glint in his eye. "You're early tonight, boss man. Rough day at the prison?"

 

"Aren't they all?" Brian responded drolly, placing his back against the bar as he looked for the first of what he knew would be many tricks tonight. "I have an early start tomorrow to what could end up being a very long day."

 

Emmett swished his Cosmo around, clicking his tongue, before he taunted, "The new recruits must be arriving."

 

"Recruits, Honeycutt?" Brian returned derisively. "I'm not running a country club, or enlisting for the armed forces... it's a fucking prison."

 

"Easy there, Tiger." Emmett leaned closer to Ted as if to whisper secretly, although his voice was more than loud enough to carry. "Seems like someone didn't get his dick sucked enough yet."

 

Brian pierced him sharply with blank eyes. "There's no such thing as enough. I guess you wouldn't know about that though, would you? You have to settle for what mediocre cock comes your way."

 

Emmett took a big swallow of his drink, his eyes biting into Brian, as always standing his ground with the arrogant warden/club owner. "As long as I come, it's all good, Darling."

 

Ted nearly choked on his drink, his eyes darting back and forth between them. Thankfully, Brian ignored him, obviously intent on finding his first mark. Ted knew the moment Brian had secured his target by that predatory look that came into his eyes. It was a look that he knew well. One that signified Brian would be on the move soon. "So, are you leaving early tonight, Brian?"

 

Brian nodded, never taking his eyes from the trio of men that danced together, deciding he would be leaving very soon... but definitely not alone. He finished the last of his Beam, placing his glass on the bar, his eyes moving up and down his unsuspecting prey... more than ready for the games to begin. "Yes, I have three new prisoners arriving in the morning."

 

Emmett snorted. "You have fun with that, Mr. Big Bad Warden." He winked, before he added, "Try not to overuse the hose..."

 

Brian's eyes pulled from his prey long enough to narrow on Emmett in disbelief. "Unlike you, I don't have to resort to such measures to get laid."

 

Ted groaned, knowing this wasn't heading in a good direction. "Okay, I'm out, boys. I have some numbers to crunch in the office. I'll leave you a report on your desk, Brian."

 

"Okay, Ted. I might not see it for a couple of days. We'll see how it goes. I could be at the prison late tomorrow."

 

Emmett looked at Brian seriously for a long moment, completely ignoring Ted's response to Brian before he walked away. "Are you trying to tell me that you never fuck a prisoner? There has to be some that are Brian Kinney worthy."

 

"Perhaps there are, but I can generally restrain myself," Brian spoke with absolute truth. He took his job seriously and performed it well. Of course, he had fucked prisoners in the past. But it wasn't a daily occurrence, and he stuck to his ‘one-fuck only' policy at the prison as well. Never had there been a man at work or anywhere else that tempted him to explore beyond a single night. Brian didn't think there ever would be. That was not who he was... and definitely not how he intended to live his life.

 

A cunning look followed. "You know what I think, Mr. Warden? I think one day you'll get someone at that prison that doesn't fall into a neat little category in your rulebook. A man that you will be desperate to have."

 

Brian pushed away from the bar. He gave Emmett a scathing glance, before he answered, "I am never desperate, Honeycutt. If such a man arrived, then I would have him. End of story."

 

Emmett shook his head as he watched Brian saunter toward the men that had captured his attention. He almost hoped Brian met such a man - one that he craved obsessively, but one that fell out of his reach. Emmett knew that wasn't very likely. One, Brian didn't care about any man that much... and two, as Brian had said - he would have him if he wanted him that badly. Still, it was an amusing thought to entertain him; unbeknownst to him a reality that would soon exist.

 

TBC