- Text Size +

 

"Sergeant Horvath, you wanted to see me?" Jennifer Taylor peeked her head into the obviously busy police sergeant's office, her eyes taking in the scattered pieces of paper and files across his desk.

 

Carl nodded, brusquely motioning her forward. "Yes, please. Have a seat, Mrs. Taylor. I apologize for calling you down here at what must be such a difficult time."

 

"It's not a problem, Sergeant. And please call me, Jennifer." Sitting across from his desk, she looked at the sergeant anxiously. She could clearly remember when the police had been investigating Chris Hobbs' death. Everyone had been so accusatory, but not Sergeant Horvath. He had always given the impression that he believed in Justin. But the evidence had been overwhelming and a trial conducted in a community that resented gays hadn't gone well for Justin. That was in the past now. All any of them could do was wait for this ridiculous sentence to be over and hope for a miracle. She wasn't one that subscribed to such a positive outlook. Life hadn't given her much reason.

 

"Jennifer, I have come into some information." Carl sighed deeply. As much as he was thrilled that justice would soon be served in the case of Justin Taylor, he hated that it had been so miscarried in the first place. "It's my suggestion, off the record, that you get your attorney working on it right away."

 

"My attorney? Is this to do with Craig's death? I assure you that I have had no contact with him for some time. His current girlfriend could assist you more." Jennifer bristled slightly. Was the sergeant accusing her of some kind of involvement in Craig's death? It was the most preposterous of ideas. They had been divorced for several years now. She couldn't tolerate her ex-husband... but she had no reason to kill him.

 

Carl held up a hand, shaking his head emphatically back and forth. "Not at all. It has just been released that your ex-husband has been murdered, but it appears as if it was a robbery. The reason I have called you is about Justin."

 

"Justin? What does my son have to do with this?" Jennifer demanded, her irritation quickly rising.

 

"I didn't call you in regard to your ex-husband's death. New evidence has surfaced that could exonerate your son..."

 

Jennifer's eyes became wide with disbelief. "Exonerate? How is this possible? Justin was convicted."

 

"I shouldn't even be advising you of this before the official DNA results return, but Chief Stockwell is convinced of what we'll find... as am I." He took in a deep breath, knowing how irate this woman would be when she realized her son had been so falsely accused. He didn't blame her for one minute. "We have a man in custody claiming to be Chris Hobbs. If the results corroborate this, proceedings will be instigated to have your son vindicated."

 

"I can settle this now!" Jennifer angrily stood to her feet. "Place this man in a lineup. I could identify that sonofabitch anywhere!"

 

Carl took in a deep breath, exhaling just as quickly. "Mrs. Taylor, please remain calm. We are doing all that we can to expedite matters. The chief is overseeing this personally. He doesn't want any mistakes. It's in Justin's best interest that everything is handled through proper channels. If all goes well, he could be out within a week."

 

"A week?" Jennifer asked, her jaw dropping down in surprise. "Since when does a case get on the court docket so quickly?"

 

"The chief wants to resolve this quickly... but without violating any procedures." Carl looked at her pointedly. "I'm sure you want the same, ma'am..."

 

Jennifer nodded forcefully. "Yes, of course. I don't want any mistakes either. I will contact Justin's attorney immediately... and Justin at the prison."

 

"Mrs. Taylor, with all due respect, I think you should stay away from the prison. Justin's been doing fine so far, this doesn't need to get inside those walls." Carl didn't want to get vulgar with a woman that was obviously very much a lady... but he knew her idea was a very bad one, at least for Justin.

 

"I don't understand, Sergeant. Justin has a right to know what's going on. It would give him peace of mind..."

 

Carl realized he would need to be blunt. If it made her see reason, a bit of awkwardness would be acceptable by him. "I can't tell you what has been going on in that prison, but I do know one thing, Mrs. Taylor - Justin is a young man, some could even say boyish. The men that he is incarcerated with probably look at him in a certain way, if you catch my meaning. Now, he hasn't been in there that long yet, so they are probably just sniffing around him a bit... but if word gets out that someone like him is about to be released, let me just say this - he's going to have some big problems."

 

Jennifer flushed in embarrassment. "I hadn't thought of that. Okay. I'll do it your way. I don't want Justin to suffer any more than he has already."

 

Carl held back a grimace following her accusatory glare. He clearly could understand her point of view. The system had fucked up. How it had happened remained a mystery, but that didn't matter to Justin Taylor's mother. All she knew right now was that her son was serving a crime in a prison filled with hardened criminals... a crime that he hadn't even committed. It doesn't get more cut and dry than that. "I'll be in touch if I hear anything else... but my best ballpark guess is a week. We'll have the official DNA test back in a few days. What we have done here in the lab isn't as intensive as that will be."

 

"I understand. Thank you, Sergeant Horvath." Jennifer looked at him in kindness for a moment. "I do remember when you were investigating this case. You were kind to my son. I haven't forgotten that."

 

"Off the record, I never believed Justin was guilty... but my hands were tied." Carl's eyes were filled with regret and hope at the same time. "Just hold on a short while longer. I have a feeling you'll have him back soon."

 

Jennifer smiled tremulously. "That's the best news I've had in a long time. A week is such a short amount of time... but I have a feeling it will feel like the longest of my life."

 

Carl nodded in total agreement. The chief would probably frown on him giving this information to Justin's mother before the official DNA tests returned, but he felt it was the right thing to do. The system had fucked up that boy's life... and in his mind, the sooner they began the process of it being righted, the better.

 


 

"Would you mind repeating that, Sir?" Justin asked, his eyes looking at the warden in utter disbelief.

 

"I have been informed that your father has been killed. Apparently, he was murdered." Brian watched him closely, looking for any sort of response... astounded that all he found was a blank stare.

 

Justin snorted. "Apparently, he pissed off someone else."

 

"That's your response?" Brian asked him. "I can set you up with Dr. Bruckner if you would like to speak to him professionally."

 

"I'm fine. Thank you, Warden. I wasn't very close to my father." Justin remained impersonal to the warden, strangely confused that he had a guard in the room with them. He never had a guard with them. There was more going on than the death of his father. Justin remained motionless as he waited to hear what was next.

 

Brian arched his brow. "That appears obvious." Justin was taking the news far better than he could have ever hoped or expected. Nothing ever went according to plan regarding this young man. He couldn't even hazard a guess how this next part would go, but for him, it would be the most difficult part.

 

"Was there something else you wanted to discuss with me, Sir?" Justin's eyes flickered back between the warden and his guard, his eyes not missing the secretive look that passed between them.

 

"Yes. I'm afraid there is." Brian paced back and forth in front of his desk, tapping the side of his face thoughtfully... realizing much was at stake in what would happen next. Only he and Ben knew that Justin would be released soon. He didn't trust that information among any of his staff, not even his most trusted guard. This had to be played out to perfection. It wasn't only essential for the smooth running of the prison, but for Justin's own safety as well. "I'm afraid I will need to make some changes in your cell accommodations. Effective immediately."

 

Brandon looked toward the warden inquiringly, frowning when Brian's gaze remained fixated on Justin. New accommodations, he thought? That would explain why he was in this meeting. Warden Kinney never had an audience when he had a meeting with this particular inmate. That had been a constant since his arrival. Something was going on here. Whatever it was, he had the feeling it didn't bode well for the young prisoner.

 

"You're moving me? But why, Sir? I haven't been having any problems with Michael..." Justin began his ramble, immediately stopping his speech when that cold look entered the warden's eyes. That look that he hadn't been on the receiving end of recently, and one he had hoped never to see again... all to find his hopes dashed here and now.

 

"Silence! I have warned you about questioning my decisions, Taylor. As much as I sympathize with the fact that you just lost your father... whether estranged or not, I cannot allow you to continue to place this prison at risk!" Brian's eyes narrowed when he saw Justin opening his mouth to speak, quickly realizing his fear wasn't enough to keep him silent today. "You will not speak until I'm finished." Brian looked at him sharply. "Nod if you understand!"

 

Forcing himself not to shed tears at the harshness of the warden's tone, the same man that had only hours ago been on the verge of becoming his lover, Justin nodded with a jerk, his eyes downcast as he tried to regain a sense of both understanding and control. This treatment hurt him more than he wanted to acknowledge. He hadn't done anything to incite it. And to make matters worse, it all came on the heels of the warden telling him of his father's death. It didn't matter how Justin was projecting his feelings regarding that news. Brian's handling of him now was nothing short of cruel. He felt like such a fool.

 

"I'll make this short and simple, and have you headed to your new home." Brian lifted his eyes briefly to meet Brandon's, giving him a silencing glare as he spoke. "Circumstances have made it so I will be out of the prison for the next few days. I am the only reason that the attacks against you have remained under control. I can only do so much. With my absence it will only escalate... and I can't allow that to happen."

 

Justin looked up at that moment, uncertain of where he was leading. Was the warden placing him in lockdown? When Warden Kinney looked away from him, a flicker of regret briefly flickering in his eyes, Justin realized this was about to get much worse.

 

"My primary responsibility is to see to the safety of each prisoner, and that the prison runs in an orderly, controlled manner. Rumors have reached my ears that a major attack on you will be enlisted over the weekend. My solution will rectify that immediately." Brian looked at Justin with a face carved from stone, unyielding and filled with determination. "For the immediate future, the temptation that you represent to these men will be resolved in the only way that will be effective in this environment."

 

Brandon swallowed, knowing exactly what this meant. He wasn't certain why he hadn't learned of such a threat... but that it existed, didn't really surprise him. Justin Taylor was far from the ordinary inmate. He was an enticement many would risk the ease of their daily lives in here to acquire. It had already happened on numerous occasions. Brandon knew that had probably only been the beginning. He had been dreading the weekends since Justin had arrived. The incidents would increase without the warden's presence. As much as he knew Brian was doing what was best for the prison, and for the well-being of this particular inmate, he doubted Justin would see it that way. The warden's pursuit of Justin would definitely be at a standstill now.

 

Justin remained silent knowing he wasn't going to like what followed. A heavy silence prevailed in the room following the warden's slightly ominous statement. He wasn't about to fall into that trap and ask any questions. They've been down this road many times now. His head was swimming with everything that he had been hit with during such a short span of time. He didn't need any further displays of the warden's wrath. At least not right now.

 

"My solution is radical, and one that isn't subject for debate." Brian's nostrils flared as he looked down at Justin. This was the point at which the boy would truly recoil from him. He had no other choice. Justin couldn't know of his impending release... at least not yet. When the time for his day in court drew closer, he would look at that again. He couldn't risk Justin letting it slip to the wrong guard, or even to anyone and having it overheard. He had to play this close to the vest. Only he and Ben would know. For Justin's safety, it had to be this way. Brian faced his most appealing, yet most dangerous prisoner in many ways with a cold uncompromising stare.

 

"Mr. Taylor, you are being placed in solitary confinement for the course of the weekend. I will determine when I return if it is to be extended." Brian didn't look away from the shock and hurt he clearly read on Justin's face. This was another aspect that still hadn't improved. Justin was entirely too damned sensitive. He gave away much with his open expressions. That was another reason he had to make this decision. The boy was just too fucking vulnerable... on every possible level.

 

Justin didn't speak a word. Everything he had to say was clearly displayed by the hurt and disappointment in his eyes. He cursed the tears that fell, at this moment hating more than anything that this uncaring man continued to see his weaknesses. Solitary confinement. It had come down to this. What had begun as a beautiful start to the afternoon earlier, had ended in a chaotic nightmare. One that he knew would endure and only intensify until his isolation was ended.

 

Brian forced himself to look away from the new look he saw in Justin's eyes. The hurt turned to anger, ending in contempt. Ben had warned him, and he knew it to be true then. Justin wouldn't forgive him easily. Brian only hoped in time he would understand... but that day would be a long time away. Strangely, he met compassion in Brandon's eyes. Despite the fact that Brandon didn't know the true reason behind his actions, he was loyal and supported him. When this was over, he would need to see that he was rewarded. During Justin's entire stay here, Brandon had been an asset in many ways. If not for him, Justin's reality could be much different.

 

Not sparing Justin another glance, Brian assertively told Brandon, "Take him now. Your assignment will be changed as well. From here on out, I want you down in solitary."

 

Brandon's eyes widened. This was serious. "Yes, Warden." He looked toward a defeated Justin slumped in his chair. "Let's go, Taylor."

 

Justin stood from his seat, knowing he had no choice but to obey. His eyes shot daggers of hurt and anger at the impassive warden. In one telling glance, Justin told him he would never touch him again unless it was done by force. Despite the actions the warden was taking now, Justin knew he would never cross that line. It was over for them. And right at this moment, he couldn't be more glad.

 

Brian watched as Justin was led away, knowing he could attempt to smooth things over... yet fearing the risks of such a reckless action. A week wasn't such a long time, he told himself. Granted, it would be interminable for Justin in solitary confinement... but the bottom line - Justin would walk out of here in one piece, and not the victim of vicious and violent acts. When they were on the outside, he would make him understand. Until then, Justin would be safe. That was the only thing that mattered now.

 

TBC