- Text Size +

 

"So, will you take the case?" Jennifer asked the surprised and outraged attorney seated across from her.

 

Melanie pursed her lips together indignantly. "Damned right I will take the case!" She grimaced slightly at the look of shock on her new client's face. "I apologize for my inappropriate outburst. This scenario pisses me off! May I ask why you didn't elect to stay with Justin's original counsel?"

 

Jennifer flushed guiltily, she looked over to Justin's best friend and champion, Daphne for support. Daphne rolled her eyes, suddenly seeing that she wasn't going to be able to hold to her agreement of complete silence in this meeting. "It's a bit awkward, Ms. Marcus."

 

"Oh for crying out loud!" Daphne sputtered. Justin's mom was so very proper at times, but she really loved her for it. "What she is finding it difficult to say is that she knows you are gay... and being so, she thought you would be more helpful to his case than the uptight suit he had the first time.

 

Melanie grinned at Daphne. She liked her. Justin Taylor had a very good friend in her. "I kind of thought so. This is a classic case of a hate crime against a member of the gay community. I will have to adjust my schedule... but I will work on this case exclusively."

 

Jennifer bit her lip thoughtfully. "It isn't a problem that Justin's case is to be heard in two days?"

 

Shaking her head, Melanie answered, "Not at all. This appears to be rather open and shut. However, I don't intend to go in there unprepared. I want to research everything to do with Justin's case. It is a bit curious how quickly Chief Stockwell is pushing this to completion."

 

"Yes, it is, being that they pursued Justin so doggedly. I have been given the impression that Jim Stockwell perceives this as a blemish on the department's reputation, and he wants it remedied quickly."

 

Melanie scoffed. "I know only too well how Stockwell operates. His motives are never altruistic." At once she had a repugnant thought. Justin Taylor was in Brian's prison. Knowing Brian as she did, she could only imagine how that was going. "Have you been in contact with Justin? What I'm asking is simply - his condition, and if he knows about his day in court on Wednesday?"

 

"I haven't been able to see him yet. He hasn't been there that long. I had just begun the process of setting up visitation when this happened. I was urged by Carl Horvath to stay away. He believed that news of Justin's imminent release could be dangerous for him." Jennifer hoped Melanie understood what she was saying - she didn't want to get into that discussion again.

 

A knowing light entered her eyes. "Yes. I remember the photos of Justin when this story broke. He is a very attractive young man." What was even more... She could imagine Brian's perception of Justin Taylor. She only hoped his ordeal hadn't been too horrific for him. "Okay. I'm going to go over Justin's case, and I will call the warden this morning. I want to know how Justin is doing. I've known Warden Kinney for years. He will tell me what I need to know."

 

"That's wonderful." Jennifer stood to her feet, reaching across the desk to shake Melanie's hand vigorously. "I can't thank you enough, Ms. Marcus. Nor can Justin."

 

Melanie smiled warmly at the obviously relieved mother. It angered her immensely when justice was miscarried... but in this case, it had been out and out harassment of an out openly gay man. She couldn't wait to be part of undoing this wrong, although knowing barring a disaster, the result of this case was a foregone conclusion. Standing to her feet, she shook hands with both Jennifer and Daphne, smiling confidently at both of them. "Please call me, Melanie. Outside of the courtroom, I don't practice such formalities. I'll be in touch after I speak with Warden Kinney. You can stop worrying now. Justin will be home very soon."

 

Watching as the two very different women left her office, Melanie went to work on Justin's case file. Her ire only continued to rise with each page she read. Justin Taylor had been railroaded with some of the most circumstantial evidence it had ever been her displeasure to read. Poor kid, she thought to herself. She could only hope he'd been faring well in prison. If there had ever been a man that didn't belong in the system it was Justin Taylor. She couldn't wait to lead the attack that led to his vindication. Melanie decided she needed more coffee before she called Brian. For some reason, she knew he would piss her off. Invariably he always did. Melanie had no reason to think today would be any different.

 


 

Brandon refused to allow himself to be intimidated. He hadn't done anything that wrong. In fact, he had made things easier for the warden by having Justin more at peace. Of course, he had broken the rules a bit by changing his shifts without prior approval... but it had been the weekend. He had been looking out for the prison. Okay, he knew that was stretching it a bit. He had been helping Justin, and that had been his bottom line. While it was true that he looked at Justin in a way that wasn't quite appropriate, he hadn't done anything about it either. Nor would he. His job wasn't worth that, most especially not for a man that he believed to be hung up on the warden - whether Justin admitted it or not.

 

Brian's gaze continued to darken. "Your silence alarms me, Brandon."

 

"I apologize, warden. I did what I thought was in the best interest of the prison... and the prisoner." Brandon hoped Brian would believe him. He did speak the truth, no matter how odd his methods had been. His only hope was that he left here with his job intact, and his present assignment unchanged until Justin was removed from his isolation.

 

"Best interest of the prison..." Brian repeated, his eyes narrowing sharply. "Please enlighten me. I am beyond curious."

 

Brandon shrugged. "It was simple really. I went home Friday night spending the evening in my normal routine. In fact, I even stopped at Babylon - and saw you there in the distance." He waited for Brian's impatient nod of agreement, before continuing - "After I went home, I started to think about work, in particular - how the night in solitary can affect a man unaccustomed to that silence and total darkness. Well, Justin Taylor is more sensitive than most... so I figured he would need to be watched over more closely."

 

"And you didn't think his scheduled guard on duty could handle that?" Brian's expression was impassive; inwardly he felt guilty. He hadn't thought of the nights in that solitary hole. Justin had probably felt lost and afraid. Fuck. He needed that distracting boy gone from his prison. Everyday events escalated that would harden Justin's resolve more firmly against him. Yet, there was nothing he could do. He wanted to confide in him... but still felt uncomfortable in doing so. Perhaps he could now, though. He would be here in the daytime hours, and Brandon was covering the nights. He did trust Brandon, although he didn't care for his take-charge actions.

 

"Warden, I think we both know how Higgins would respond if the prisoner screamed out in terror. He would bang on the door and tell him to shut the fuck up." Brandon looked at the warden head-on, not attempting to soften his words; knowing Brian as he did, he realized whether Brian liked his words or not, he would respect the truth in them.

 

Brian gnawed on his lower lip for a moment, hating the question he was about to ask, finding himself unable to resist doing so. "And how did Justin do on his first night?"

 

Brandon hid his surprise behind a nonchalant shrug. The warden cared more than he liked for Justin. That didn't surprise him. Brian Kinney in and out of these walls was perceived to be a heartless asshole, living as he wanted with no regard for those he used along the way. Brandon knew it wasn't all white and black with the warden. Brian did have a heart. He just didn't share it or reveal it to others. Somehow in a short span of time, Justin had begun cracking the ice that surrounded him. He could see it clearly... yet the warden continued to deny it. Brandon supposed he had to in his capacity of power over Justin. He had already broken rules in regard to the young prisoner. Brandon wasn't certain he could have resisted doing the same in Brian's position. "He tried to blow it all off. I think he was trying to be tough. Despite that, it was obvious he had a rough first night."

 

Brian nodded. "That's to be expected." He looked at Brandon intently for a long moment, before he came to the only decision he felt he could make. "Alright. I'll allow you to remain as you are for Taylor's remaining time in solitary. I can see where that would benefit the prisoner and this institution. I don't like how you made this happen, nor do I trust your motives... but he is undoubtedly safest with you." Brian didn't miss the light that appeared in Brandon's eyes. It was a look he didn't like at all. He would definitely be pulling up those surveillance films. At this point, Brian thought that would be the only way to get to the truth.

 

"Thank you, Sir." Brandon stood to his feet, knowing this meeting to be over. "I'll do my best for him when I'm on duty. I can promise you that."

 

His eyes analytically narrowed on Brandon following that remark. It almost held a double-edged meaning. Something was going on here... and he didn't like it at all. "Yes, I'm sure you will..." Brian absently murmured. "Before you leave, let Higgins know I would like to see Taylor in my office after he finishes his breakfast."

 

"As you wish. I just dropped it off to him before I came up to see you. I'd say he would be finished now." Brandon looked down and away from the warden's probing eyes, when he offered - "I could fetch him for you before I go."

 

"No." Brian's tone was curt and final. "I think you have provided enough caregiving to Mr. Taylor for now. You can go home now." His eyes bit into Brandon's for a long moment, his mouth opening to say more when his phone began to ring. He didn't wait to hear Brandon slipping from the room when he snapped into the receiver, "Warden Kinney."

 

"Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning..." Melanie drawled cattily. "Or didn't you get to bed last night..."

 

Brian scowled, spinning his chair around to face toward the window that overlooked the prison yard; so distracted and annoyed he didn't notice Brandon's departure, nor the fact that the door was left ajar. "I don't have time for any of your shit today, Melanie. Get to the point fast."

 

"Charming as always. I am constantly reminded why it's wise to stay on the right side of the law..."

 

"Well, I guess you could slip into my prison. You have enough balls to pass for one of these hideous cretins." Brian wasn't in the mood to play games with her. He had far too much to do - all of it revolving around Justin Taylor.

 

Melanie rolled her eyes. "I bet there's one that you don't find so hideous."

 

"Get to the fucking point. I have work to do!" Brian hissed.

 

"Fine, I don't want to talk to you either," Melanie responded drolly. "I'm calling regarding my new client... Justin Taylor. I believe you know him."

 

"Justin? What about him?"

 

Brandon had been slightly curious about who had the warden so agitated. He had intended to leave... but when he heard Justin's name, his plans quickly changed.

 

"There's no need to play coy with me, Brian. You are horrible with the entire process." She took in a deep breath before continuing, "I'm sure you will receive official documents sometime this morning... but I'll paraphrase so even you can understand." Melanie's voice was nothing but a patronizing sneer. "Justin will be appearing in court Wednesday morning at 9 a.m. I would advise you to make certain he arrives in a favorable condition."

 

"What do you think I'm going to do to him? Beat him down so he can't appear?" Brian's eyes were wild with rage. First Ben, now the revolting muncher. "He will arrive in court completely intact. Let me assure you, it will be my pleasure to have him out of my prison."

 

Melanie laughed insultingly. "Rebuffed you, did he? I like this boy already. Just make sure nothing happens to him, Brian. This case already stinks to high heaven. Don't make it any worse for him, or his mother."

 

"I am doing all I can to keep him isolated until his hearing. He is in solitary now. No one outside of me and Ben knows he is to be released." Brian scowled into the phone. "Does that satisfy your too-tight little panties?"

 

"Nice," Melanie retorted blandly. "That's all I need, then. I'll expect to see you Wednesday morning in court."

 

"My heart can hardly contain my supreme joy," Brian muttered sarcastically.

 

In the outer office, Brandon tip-toed from the warden's outer office, thankful no one had covered the post yet. His eyes were wide in shock as he slipped out and toward the nearest phone to call down to Higgins. Quickly he made the call to pass on Brian's orders, before moving toward the exit. He shook his head in disbelief. Granted, he had only heard one side of the conversation... but what he had heard had been more than clear. Justin was about to be released. That explained why he had been placed in solitary confinement. It was harsh... but effective. Brandon didn't have a doubt what would have erupted had the other inmates learned of Justin's impending release. It would have been chaos. They would have killed each other, maimed at the very least - anyone who stood in their way from having a taste of the prison's most prime piece of ass. Justin's isolation had been a tragedy avoided.

 

Brandon went home with so many thoughts jumbling up his mind. First and foremost, Justin would be free soon. Secondly, Justin obviously didn't know about it. What troubled him the most was how he would relate to him now. Could he remain impersonal and not act on all the desires Justin evoked in him? More than that even - could he resist the temptation to tell Justin the most incredible news he could ever hear? Brandon wasn't sure of anything right now, except two things in particular. Justin would soon be outside of these walls - free to make his own choices. That thought intrigued him more than anything. In addition to that, Brandon also knew his head would be on the warden's chopping block if he told Justin anything.

 

Only one question clearly remained - what would he do when he was face-to-face with Justin tonight? Brandon knew his choice could affect them all.

 


 

Brian's eyes drilled into the door that was admitting his visitor, able to acknowledge if only to himself how much he had been craving the sight of this particular prisoner. He looked at the guard impassively for a moment. "You may go, Higgins. I'll call you when Taylor is ready to return."

 

Ready to return, Justin thought. Fuck. He had assumed he'd only be in solitary for the weekend. But apparently not. He missed the words his guard spoke to the warden, his gaze totally encompassed by the commanding man before him. When the door closed behind them, Justin was quick to speak. "I'm staying in solitary? W-why?"

 

He was to his feet and around the desk in a mere instant. "Why?" he snapped, close enough to touch, yet restraining the urge to do so. It hadn't been that long since Justin had recoiled from him in disgust. Brian had carried that in the back of his mind all weekend. He wasn't planning on repeating that unpleasant experience, at least - not if he could help it. He breathed him in deep in their close proximity. Fuck, he had missed seeing him this weekend. That wide-eyed innocent look that turned to hurt so effortlessly had tormented him at night. He had passed the time by fucking and drinking as much as his body could consume. In the presence of this sensitive and beguiling blond beauty, Brian realized it hadn't been enough. He still wanted him ferociously. It was all he could do not to say or do whatever it took to have him back in his arms again. But he wouldn't do that. Brian Kinney didn't beg any man. He would have him again, and it would be on his own terms.

 

Justin looked at Brian uncertainly, realizing once again he had probably said something he shouldn't. "I- I mean, you said there was a threat toward me during the weekend. I guess I just thought..."

 

"Don't!" Brian hissed, unable to resist moving closer to the man that totally exasperated and turned him on in the same instant - each and every time they met. "I am the absolute authority here. When I make a decision it is for your own good. You will NOT question that. Got it?"

 

"Yeah. I got it," Justin whispered, immediately hating the quivering sound in the back of his throat. He hoped the warden hadn't heard it... but when he looked into his intense hazel eyes, Justin knew he had. Not only had he heard it; he was turned on by it. Justin knew he should be repelled by that knowledge; a part of him was, but the larger part of him wanted to say to hell with his principles and just throw himself into the autocratic warden's arms. He bit at his lip nervously, his eyes lowering, then raising to meet the ones that smoldered, before running languorously all over him. "Was there a reason you brought me in here, Sir?"

 

Brian suddenly found it difficult to concentrate on Justin's words. All at once, he wanted to pull him into his arms and devour that mouth that drove him entirely too wild with desire. Brian reminded himself it would only be two more days. His worry over Justin's safety would be over, and then, he could pursue him in a much different manner. He forced himself to step away from those all too tempting lips and that body that made him burn. Fuck, how he wanted to take him - here and now. Brian knew he could do it... but he wouldn't do that to Justin. Sending him back to his solitary prison after such a moment would be unbearable to the sensitive blond. His ultimate pleasure with Justin would have to wait. Brian nearly winced when he sat back down behind his desk, the abrupt motion pulling the fabric of his snug-fitting slacks against his cock that was now throbbing and desirous of only one conclusion. "I wanted to see how you did through the weekend. I realize solitary is a different world."

 

"It wasn't so bad... Well, the nights are rough, but I got through it." Justin smiled slightly when he compared his first night to the following ones when Brandon had taken over the night shift. They still hadn't been pleasant, but Brandon had made them much better. In fact, he wasn't sure if he would have gotten through them without Brandon. "Actually, after the first night, it has been more than bearable."

 

Brandon.

 

Apparently, Brandon had been going over and beyond to make Justin comfortable. Brian rolled his lips under, his unease about that situation continuing to vex him. He decided to fish a little. Couldn't hurt, and Brian figured it would save him time going through every minute of surveillance film. "Brandon seems to like you. It's not common for him. He is much like me." Brian's eyes fastened on Justin intently. He laughed in what was genuine reminiscence. "You should see him at my club, Babylon. Sometimes he tries to go for the same trick as I do; of course, if I want them, they come with me. But still... he's very good at playing the game."

 

Justin looked at the warden blankly. Why was he telling him this? He knew it probably wasn't appropriate either. In a way, it seemed as if Brian was attempting to warn him. But of what? "He's been very kind to me. In fact, he even brought me a sketchbook. I can't tell you how much that helped. When I'm drawing, I can escape to another place." Justin looked around the dull walls of the warden's office. His voice was dark and morose when he spoke, "To a better place."

 

"How wonderful." Brian's tone was cutting; his mind hadn't gotten past - He brought me a sketchbook. What the fuck was Brandon trying to pull? He knew exactly what he was trying to pull. There wasn't much he could do to stop it, except for pulling Brandon from Justin's section. As much as he wanted to separate them, Brian knew he couldn't. No matter what other more personal agenda Brandon might have toward Justin, the bottom line was very simple - Brandon could and would protect him. That was a reality he couldn't lose sight of, no matter how Brandon's motives might turn his stomach. Brian stiffened his spine, refusing to acknowledge what that meant. Brian Kinney didn't do jealous - now or ever. He wouldn't start with this blond boy piece of ass.

 

"Now that you've seen that I survived the weekend, shall I go back?" Justin asked, finding it unbearable to be the recipient of that penetrating stare any longer. He knew the warden shouldn't affect him so intensely, yet he couldn't seem to stop the responses of his body, no matter how much his mind rebelled against it.

 

Brian nodded, picking up the phone to call the guard back. He couldn't miss the despondency in Justin's eyes. Before the weekend, he had forced himself to walk away from that look, but now that the end was so near, he couldn't do it. Justin needed to know why he was acting as he had been... and he needed to know today. One thing was for sure, despite the unlikelihood of it happening, Brian didn't want Justin to hear this news from anyone else. He dropped the phone back into the cradle. "No. I have to tell you something first, Justin. You asked why I've been keeping you in solitary... Well, I'm ready to tell you now. In fact, it's time you knew everything..."

 

TBC