- Text Size +

 

Justin took a step backward as he looked apprehensively at the formerly menacing warden. He had to be mistaken by the look on his face. It wasn't one he had ever found on this arrogant and commanding man's face. It wasn't a forbidding look, however, it was uncommon. Justin had learned in here to file things away in his mind as they appeared to normally function - this look of remorse on Warden Kinney's face didn't fit the mold he had created of him at all. "I- I don't understand, Warden."

 

"No, of course, you don't." Brian surprised himself with his patience and understanding. What had this boy done to him? He didn't have the slightest idea. The only thing he did know was that he had to tell Justin; he could only hope he wasn't doing this too soon. Morbidly he told himself, he didn't have many options. Melanie, the barracuda, was now on the case, that meant one thing. Despite her not requesting him earlier - she would be here today. Brian didn't have a single doubt. She would want to assure herself of Justin's safety with her own eyes... and she would want to speak to her client. In these special circumstances, it would be unethical of him to refuse. He didn't intend on refusing that request. Brian had to amend that thought to himself. Melanie didn't request... she demanded. He shuddered at the thought of having to deal with her. Despite how he felt about her personally, Brian knew she was ideally suited to handle Justin's case. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Justin would have a quick resolution. He pointed to the chair across from his desk. "Have a seat, Justin."

 

Hesitantly, Justin took the offered seat across from the warden's desk. He knew enough by now the potential backlash to follow should he resist the warden's invitation. There wasn't a doubt of Warden Kinney's commanding authority. No matter what the substance of the meeting - the warden's control was absolute. He didn't say a word as he looked at the warden. Justin didn't know what to say until he knew where this was all leading. He had a feeling he wouldn't have to wait for long.

 

Brian studied Justin intently, in his mind trying to determine exactly how to approach this subject. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Justin would freak out; Brian only hoped once the good news of this revelation sunk in - the meltdown would be short-lived. "I think we both know there was more going on regarding your placement in solitary than I initially let on."

 

Initially let on? Oh, this was going to be good, Justin thought. "I did try to get answers regarding your decision, Sir. However, you weren't very forthcoming..."

 

A brief smile crossed Brian's lips. "I don't respond well to having either my decisions or my authority questioned. I think you've been here long enough to derive that."

 

Justin nodded. "Yes, I have."

 

Brian returned to his seat behind his desk, his eyes ever watchful on his favorite inmate; one that would be gone from his domain soon. Only a small part of him was saddened by that. As much as he would miss Justin's presence in the prison, Brian also acknowledged that this sensitive blond obviously didn't belong here. Getting to know him in the outside world intrigued him more than he cared to admit. "When I said I placed you in solitary for your own protection, that was the truth; however, when I told you it was because there were threats against you, well that was not."

 

"I- I don't understand. If there were no threats... then why was I in such an elevated state of danger?" Justin was aghast at the warden's words. It didn't make sense; he only hoped it would very soon.

 

"Let me state this simple for you. I think you'll quickly understand." Brian pierced Justin with an unflinching gaze, his eyes drilling into the blond that returned his hard stare without once blinking. "When it becomes common knowledge within these walls that the most prime piece of meat is about to become permanently unavailable to them, well let's just say - bad things can happen. I took extreme measures to assure that didn't happen."

 

"Extreme measures?" Justin asked. "I don't understand this at all, Sir."

 

Brian sighed, his fingers reaching up to pinch the bridge of his nose... a sign that signaled both fatigue and impatience. "It's very simple, Justin. Your circumstances are about to change. On Wednesday, you will be taken from here to appear in court. You won't be returning."

 

"L-leaving here? Do you mean as in going to another prison? B-but why?" Tears flickered in Justin's eyes, his inability to mask them irritating him all the more.

 

Brian's nostrils flared as he stared at the overly dramatic and sensitive blond beauty. Fuck, how Justin's vulnerable side affected him. The predator in him could barely restrain the almost obsessive desire to utilize any power he possessed to complete the process of fully claiming this blond by any means necessary. The hunter in him knew how easy it would be to completely capture his most desirous of prey. A week ago, he would have taken advantage of the opportunity now afforded him. It was amazing how much had changed in his world in such a short span of time; a change that he wasn't so sure to be welcomed. He was accustomed to his way of life; Brian hadn't been looking to change it... or his outlook. This boy had changed everything. Now, he had to find a way to balance those changes. Forcing himself to remain seated behind the desk, and not lunge around it and directly for the object of his desire, Brian clipped out, "You won't be going to another prison. You'll be going home."

 

"H-home?" Justin's voice cracked as he spoke. "I don't get it, warden."

 

"The man that you were convicted of killing is alive and well. He is in police custody now. That evidence will be presented in court." Brian watched as shock slowly turned into awareness on Justin's expressive face. "There isn't a doubt that you'll be free on Wednesday. That is why I have gone to such extremes to protect you during the interim."

 

Justin couldn't believe what he was hearing. Chris Hobbs was alive? He couldn't fathom what this all meant for his future. Justin watched the warden attentively, looking for any sign of uncertainty in the words he spoke. He couldn't find any. If Brian had this information and believed it to be true, whether it made sense or not... Justin knew he believed it too. He ran a trembling hand through his hair. "I- I can't believe it. I mean, it's a miracle... a dream I never thought to live."

 

"I'm sure it is." Brian smiled at him briefly, before affixing a stern expression on his face. "I will caution you... this has to be a secret. You have two more nights to get through before your day in court. Word of your impending release cannot reach the other inmates."

 

Nodding, Justin answered, "I won't speak of it, Sir." He gave the austere warden a beseeching look. "Does that mean I can return to my cell block now?"

 

"No, Justin. You will remain in solitary until the morning of your appearance in court. That is for your protection... and something that's non-negotiable." Brian could see the spark of anger that flickered in and out of Justin's eyes. The boy wasn't done with fighting him; for both of their sakes, he hoped Justin backed down quickly. If he had to lay his hands on him in any capacity, Brian wasn't sure of his restraint. Brian's eyes visibly ate the pouty full lip of the blond that sat across from him, his most urgent desire being to break those tempting lips open beneath his own; reasserting once more his complete mastery over the younger man. "My advice is that you don't push me, Justin. Most especially - not now."

 

Justin stood to his feet, his eyes stabbing into the warden accusingly. "Maybe I don't care about your wishes, Sir! By your word, I am about to be released. I doubt they will hold me in Federal prison for disrespecting you." Justin didn't back down from the anger that instantly kindled in Brian's eyes. In his eyes, things couldn't get any worse than solitary confinement. It didn't matter that he was soon to be released; all that mattered was that Brian was continuing to play the heavy-handed dictator with him. His isolation wasn't necessary. He knew how to keep his mouth shut. The warden was intent on controlling him and would continue to do so until he no longer held him within these walls. The hurt this man had inflicted on him only seemed to be increasing. Justin didn't see any possibility of that lessening.

 

His hands tightened on the armrests of his chair, forcing himself not to approach his rebellious prisoner. "Again, Mr. Taylor, I advise you to proceed with caution. You still have two more days in my domain."

 

"Threats?" Justin mused completely without humor. "I just don't see why solitary is so important. I can keep quiet. You say very few know about my impending release. Where's the harm in letting me finish out these last days in my cell?"

 

"I have been cautious for several days now keeping this a secret. I am not about to let you dictate what my decisions should be. You are so unbelievably naïve you don't realize the repercussions that would result should the news of the prisoner's most favorite eye candy being removed from the meat market." Brian's nostrils flared as he spoke. "My decision remains the same. It won't be changing no matter what scenarios spout out of your little blond head."

 

"Hold on there. You've known about this for how long?" Justin felt himself beginning to tremble in rage, suddenly realizing how long the warden had been keeping this from him. The betrayal only continued to intensify in him. He couldn't fathom why the warden hadn't been honest with him. There had been no reason for it. Even if he had placed him in solitary, he should have told him the reason why. Instead, he had allowed him to feel like a piece of unwanted trash tossed aside. No matter what Brian's motivation had been, Justin felt the cold and vicious sting of betrayal. He didn't think he would ever forgive the warden for this. Not ever.

 

Brian's eyes became even colder. This was the question he'd been expecting. The one that he knew sensitive Justin would have the largest problem in handling. "I've known since the day I placed you in solitary..."

 

Justin's lower lip trembled. "Did you know when we were together here in your office? You know, when we were, umm..."

 

"About to fuck?" Brian boldly interrupted. Brian tried to keep that visual from his mind. Keeping his hands off Justin had been difficult enough... but talking about it made it even more so. "I found out when I was called away from you. I think you remember me sending you into my bathroom to get dressed."

 

"I remember," Justin returned almost hollowly. "I can't believe you would keep this from me. You had to know how much it would relieve my mind." Justin raised eyes brimming with tears. "Instead you made me sit in that black hole with no hope."

 

Brian's jaw twitched as he fought the urge to make excuses for his actions. Fuck that, he thought to himself. He was the warden here... the absolute in authority. He wasn't about to allow this blond boy piece of ass - delectable as it might be - to be the cause for him to rethink decisions that had to be made. "Well, it appears that you've gotten through your ordeal just fine." Every time Brian thought of Brandon comforting Justin, a previously unknown feeling clawed at his gut - an emotion that angered him. Brian Kinney didn't do jealous. He needed this boy out of his prison. His concentration was for shit. Nothing was normal anymore. It would all right itself again once Justin was gone. Brian knew that wasn't quite true, either. He knew it would only make things more manageable for him at the prison - on the outside, he was far from finished with this boy.

 

Justin eyed the warden knowingly. He wasn't sure how he knew, but somehow this was about Brandon. Brian didn't like it. Well, that was just too damned fucking bad. "I assume you mean Brandon. He's been very considerate of what I need. If not for him, this would have been much worse."

 

"I don't want to talk about Brandon!" Brian snapped. "I think it's best if you return to your cell now... and remember to keep your mouth shut. Your ordeal here is almost over."

 

Justin nodded. "Yeah, almost over." His eyes slid over Brian in bitter disappointment. "I can't wait to put this entire experience behind me." His eyes stabbed angrily into Brian's. "All of it."

 

Brian cursed under his breath. Fuck this. He'd be damned if he would allow this far too audacious blond to have the last word. He'd done what needed to be done merely to protect his little ass. In an instant, Brian was out from behind the desk, his footsteps taking him swiftly to Justin. He knew this was a mistake on every level, but the lust and anger was raging out of control. There was no way Justin would return to his solitary cell with any doubts of how things were... and how they would continue to be on the outside. He advanced until a wide-eyed Justin was backed against the door; Brian's lips twisted into a smile that was meant to be anything but comforting. "You lie to yourself, Justin. You loved every minute of my hands on you... and you'll love it again."

 

"No," Justin whispered weakly. "I'm never going down that road with you again. We're finished..."

 

Justin's lips were far too tempting. The fact that they spoke words that he knew to be false, urged him on even more. Brian's voice dropped to a guttural pitch, the predator in him innately sensing both the fear and desire in his prey. He reached out to run his finger along Justin's full and delicious lips. "Continue to delude yourself if you must... but we both know this is far from done. I won't come after you in here, Justin. I'll leave you in peace until your release... but hear me well - when you are on the outside, our games will change. I will hunt you." Brian slowly stepped back, removing himself from temptation. If he kissed him now, he wouldn't be able to stop.

 

Speechless, Justin watched as Brian moved to his desk to pick up his phone. He listened as Brian made the order to have him returned to his cell. He didn't know what to do or say, all he knew was that his heart was pounding erratically in his chest. He hated the warden. He knew he did. How could he feel anything but contempt for him? Granted, he was the hottest man on two legs he'd ever known... but that didn't change what was on the inside. They might be combustible physically, but that was where it ended. The two of them were not good for each other. Justin intended to stay far away from him on the outside. They moved in very different circles. He couldn't imagine that being difficult to manage.

 

Brian's eyes were heated and filled with unsuppressed longing as he looked at the shocked and confused blond. "I don't expect to see you until your appearance in court... but remember what I said, Justin. This isn't over. In fact, when you are released - it will only be the beginning."

 

TBC