- Text Size +

 

Justin stared broodingly ahead. He knew he should be reading or drawing... anything to take advantage of what remained of the daylight hours. In the lower part of the prison, in what he thought of as the darkest of tombs, the light diminished much more quickly than the upper levels. The lighting was already dimming; Justin could only assume that the night was steadily creeping to meet him. He tried to keep in the front of his mind that his time here was near an end. When nighttime approached - the dark and eerie silence in particular - it was hard to remember anything outside of the horror of feeling trapped. Over and over he had been repeating to himself - two more nights, just two more nights...

 

When the key turned in his door, Justin tensed and didn't turn to look. He knew it was probably his guard... but he never knew when the warden would decide to stop by. After the insinuations he had made earlier today, Justin wouldn't be surprised to see him again tonight. The warden had told him they probably wouldn't see each other again while he was still in the prison, but Justin didn't find himself trusting too much of what Warden Kinney had to offer. After all, hadn't he been keeping from him the most important thing of all? In Justin's mind, it didn't get much larger than having the knowledge of his upcoming release and keeping that information from him. Justin didn't care what reasons he had offered; Brian could have found a way to safely let him know. But no. Even in this, Brian wanted to play games. Well, whether Warden Kinney understood it or not - the games were long over. No matter what Brian's intentions might be... Justin never intended to let that man near him again.

 

Brandon looked his most favorite... and undoubtedly hottest prisoner with a confused look on his face. He had dreaded coming to him today after what he had overheard this morning. His loyalty to the prison was genuine, although he wasn't so certain it still was to Warden Kinney. On the outside world, they definitely clashed, but within these walls, he typically respected the warden's decisions and honored his directives in accordance with that. He had left uncertain if he could keep this secret from Justin. It was without a doubt not something one heard every day. When he'd arrived for his shift late this afternoon, the guard on duty had told him Justin had a long conference with the warden this morning. That made him wonder if Brian had told him about his upcoming release. He hoped the warden had told him; Brandon found he didn't want to be in the position of doing the right thing by the prison... betraying that secret would bring Justin peace of mind. He found the latter mattered a great deal to him - much more than it should.

 

Justin's head turned when he realized his visitor was in no hurry to identify himself. He allowed himself to smile briefly when he realized it was Brandon. Thank God, he thought. The last thing he wanted or needed was another ‘chat' with the warden today. "I guess it must be time for the night shift."

 

"I guess it must be..." Brandon mused. "Would you like to get out and stretch some before everything gets locked down?"

 

Confusion became etched onto Justin's face. "Stretch? I've already had my hour out in the yard. I was under the impression that's all I got."

 

Brandon shrugged. "The yard's empty. Warden has everyone on lockdown."

 

"Everyone? Was there a problem?" Justin asked curiously. For some reason, he thought this could have something to do with him... if that ended up being the case, he wasn't sure how he would feel about that.

 

"It happened earlier in the day. I really don't know much yet." Brandon didn't have a doubt in his mind that it revolved around Justin's impending release. The warden was being extra cautious in the event word got out. It was all unnecessary in his opinion. Justin was in solitary confinement. The prisoners wouldn't be able to get to him. The only possibility would be in the event of a corrupt guard. That wasn't impossible, but looking at the roster for the next few days, he couldn't see that as an issue. Of course... guards did talk amongst themselves. Regardless of that, the prison would run smoothly and Justin would be protected. That was all that really mattered.

 

"I guess it doesn't really matter." Justin looked at Brandon inquisitively for a long moment. "Won't you get in trouble for taking me outside twice in one day?"

 

Brandon smirked. "I wasn't on duty the first time. I guess I missed the report that showed when you were out..."

 

Justin shook his head. "Alright. I won't turn down the chance to get out of this box." He arched a brow at Brandon, before he said, "I hope you know what you're doing. I'd hate to see your ass take too much heat from the warden."

 

He clicked his tongue in response. "It's good of you to be so concerned over my ass, Taylor. But I'm very adept at keeping it safe and sound."

 

"Yeah. I see that..." Justin deliberately glanced down at Brandon's ass, quickly deciding that part of his guard's package was proportioned very nicely. He lifted his eyes to meet Brandon's suddenly hot gaze, momentary surprise assailing him when he observed the look in his eyes. It had nothing to do with professionalism... and much more to do with personal interest. Justin wasn't sure if he should verbalize that realization. Quickly he decided to ignore it. Making Brandon uncomfortable was the last thing he wanted to do. Justin knew at another time; in particular - a time before he'd met Brian Kinney, he would have been very intrigued by Brandon. In so many ways, Brian had shaded his view on a great many things. He only hoped that time would set that right again.

 


 

Brian looked up with a glare at the woman - if one wanted to refer to her as that - as she burst into his office unheeded. "It's customary to be announced," Brian drawled caustically.

 

"I've been cooling my heels out here for thirty-five minutes, Warden..." Melanie sneered. "As it is past your working hours, I didn't see the need to wait further."

 

"It's a Monday. I have a great deal that acquires my attention after the weekend." Brian tossed the last of his papers into his briefcase, locking it with a snapping click, his eyes staring at her almost balefully.

 

Melanie rolled her eyes. "If you would have worked me in earlier today - this could have been avoided."

 

"You called me this morning to inquire about your new client. I gave you my time then, albeit grudgingly so. I didn't have the time to waste. Then, you call back demanding an appointment... well, I informed my staff to squeeze you in later in the day." Brian raised his fingers to pinch the bridge of his nose. Anyone that knew him well, realized he was trying to manage his patience. He wasn't doing very well in that. "Well, here we are. Now... what the fuck do you want?"

 

"Nice etiquette there, warden. It's no wonder you make so many enemies here." Melanie's voice was cutting, and devoid of all pleasantries.

 

"To be more precise, counselor, they hate me because they fear me." Brian gave her a blank stare, knowing exactly why she was here, but for some reason, enjoying playing cat-and-mouse with her. As much as he abhorred her presence, he enjoyed her agitation even more. "So, what can I do for you?"

 

Melanie's jaw dropped down. "What can I do for you? Are you for real?" When Brian continued to look back at her with an empty stare, she snapped, "I want to see my fucking client!"

 

"Such language, Ms. Marcus. I do hope you are the right choice for young Justin. Hmmm. I really do." Brian smirked at her lack of composure. Toying with her little lesbian head was just so much fun.

 

"Cut the bullshit, Brian. I want to see Justin..."

 

Brian made a pointed look at the clock on the wall, his brow arching sharply. "Look at the time. I guess I should have worked you in earlier in the day, after all."

 

"Oh for crying out loud, Brian. I drove all the way up here to brief Justin. He appears in court in less than two days. I don't want to see him abused by the system any more than he already has been!"

 

"Calm yourself down, Melanie. Justin's case should be open and shut... unless there's something I haven't been told." Brian's voice was curt, with a question underneath the sharp edges. If Ben was fucking with him on this, there would be hell to pay. For several reasons, he wanted Justin Taylor out of his prison. That not happening wasn't a reality he wanted to see.

 

Melanie responded with her most bland ‘lawyer' tone. "There is no such thing as open-and-shut. I don't want to take any chances. Justin has been victimized enough. I want to see him, Brian. I have that right."

 

Brian sighed. It didn't appear as if he would be leaving anytime soon. "Fine. I'm obviously not going to get rid of you until you see him."

 

"Thank you, warden," Melanie smirked. "I thought you'd see it my way."

 

Rolling his eyes, Brian picked up the phone to call Justin's guard. He gritted his teeth when he realized it would be Brandon now. The phone in the unit rang and rang with no answer. "Where the fuck is he?" Brian grumbled beneath his breath.

 

"Problems, Brian?" Melanie questioned, both concern and accusation in her voice.

 

"I'm not sure. It's not mealtime, nor is it time for scheduled rounds. He should be at his desk..." Brian scowled as he instantly realized where Brandon would be. He knew it could be something as simple as the restroom, but he didn't think so. Brandon seemed to have been spending a great deal of time with Justin... the bulk of it in making the hot little blond comfortable. Brian put the phone down, reaching for the radio to call Brandon. He'd damned well better not be where he thought he was... yet, his instincts told him that was exactly where he would find him. "Brandon," he growled. "Pick up - now!"

 

Melanie bit her lip forcing herself not to smile. She knew Brandon very well. In fact, she actually liked him. If she were straight, she would find him both interesting and attractive. She couldn't help wondering if Justin felt that way too. "Poor little Justin," she purred. "Caught between the two Alpha males. It looks like I got involved just at the right time..."

 

Brian clipped out his instructions to Brandon, his eyes shooting daggers at Melanie until he ended the conversation. "Shut the fuck up... that is, if you want me to take you to your client."

 

Take her to him? Oh, this was good. Brian wasn't doing anything by standard procedure. It was far too amusing watching Brian jumping through hoops. "By all means, Brian. I will cooperate completely. All I want is to see Justin."

 

"Come with me." Brian stepped to his door, opening it with such violence that the guard standing on the other side jumped in response. As he escorted Melanie from the outer office, and down the hallway to the stairwell that would take them to the lower level, Brian clipped out, "It appears that Brandon decided to give Justin an extra session in the yard. I'm taking you to him there."

 

"Well, isn't that so sweet of Brandon..." Melanie cooed. This just got better and better. "I'm sure you must feel such a sense of relief knowing that Brandon is guarding Justin so attentively."

 

Brian gritted his teeth, forcing himself not to emit a sarcastic retort. The barracuda always analyzed him a little too well. Right now, it was more annoying than usual. He needed to take her to Justin, and distance himself from the situation quickly. The last thing he needed was for her to observe just how much he lusted for her new client... a condition that he had the feeling to be present in Brandon too. That didn't matter, he told himself. Brandon wouldn't have him. Justin would be free soon... then, their games would change. It was a change he couldn't wait to pursue.

 


 

"He's coming out here..." Justin said, scrunching up his nose in irritation. "I don't want to see him again today."

 

"I'm afraid I can't shield you from that. He's the boss." Brandon eyed his young prisoner with sympathy and much more admiration than was wise. "He's bringing your attorney to visit you. This isn't the normal process, but he seemed to think it needed to be done."

 

Something that made sense - finally. "Right. I guess there are things to discuss before my court date. I'm surprised that an uptight old man would come to the prison."

 

"Court date?" Brandon asked nonchalantly. Justin did know about his upcoming release. He was glad about that. The peace of mind had to be a comfort for the sensitive young man. "I thought the warden said your ‘new' attorney needed to speak with you."

 

"Ah, okay. Mom must have found me a new one. I'm glad about that." Justin looked at Brandon thoughtfully, realizing this entire discussion had to be confusing. He had promised not to speak of his quick approaching court date, but Brandon was different. He trusted him... and what was just as important - he really wanted him to know. "I, uhhh, came across some strange news this morning."

 

Brandon held up a forestalling hand. He knew precisely where this was going. He would spare Justin the agony of any admissions they didn't have time to discuss. "I know about your soon-to-be court date. I just found out today as I was leaving. I overheard some of Warden Kinney's conversation."

 

"I see..." Justin mumbled. He looked at Brandon uncertainly. "Would you have told me...?"

 

"To be honest, Justin... I don't know. I wanted to, and I can't be positive I wouldn't have. But doing so would have meant my job." Brandon looked at the stunned look on Justin's face. "Don't mistake me for being a good Samaritan. That's anything but the case... but I have gotten to know you a bit, and observed the inner struggle you've been going through. Having information that could relieve you of that torment would have been hard to keep to myself for an indefinite period of time."

 

"Thank you for your honesty. I just wish he had cared more about my peace of mind," Justin muttered bitterly. His back tensed as he heard the steel door opening... two sets of footsteps easily discerned in the distance.

 

Uncaring of the warden's watchful eyes on him, Brandon patted Justin reassuringly on the arm, keeping his gaze firmly on his prisoner. In a low whisper, Brandon advised, "Just don't fight him, Justin. It's well past his quitting time. He'll go home soon if he isn't given a reason to stay."

 

"I'll see you later... right?" Justin asked, making certain to keep his voice low.

 

"Of course. I have some duties, but I'll sit with you tonight if you like."

 

Justin nodded. "I would like that very much."

 

"Well well, Mr. Taylor. Decide you needed some ‘extra' time out in the sun?" Brian queried drolly.

 

"N-no. That's not it at all, Warden..." Justin stammered.

 

Brandon cleared his throat, knowing his words would not only get him in trouble... but delay the warden longer. Neither was something he wanted. "Sir... it wasn't like that. I suggested to Mr. Taylor that he could have another brief visit outside. Everyone was in lockdown, and all were secured for the evening. I didn't see the harm."

 

Melanie smirked from behind Brian. This was so good, she thought. Justin was definitely an enticement to both men. She felt sorry for him. There wasn't a doubt that this could end badly. As she got her first real look at Justin Taylor, Melanie quickly determined his pictures in the newspaper hadn't done him justice. She could only imagine the havoc this young man had caused for Brian in the prison. In that respect, she was certain Brian would be glad to see him gone. She stepped forward, not intending to wait for Brian to make the introductions. It was obvious his mind was directed elsewhere. Holding out her hand to Justin, she smiled at him warmly before she announced, "Hello, Justin. I am Melanie Marcus. Your mother retained me to act in your defense for your upcoming hearing. Is it okay if I call you Justin?"

 

Nodding vigorously, Justin agreed. "Yes, of course, Ms. Marcus. I'm very grateful you took my case on such short notice."

 

"Please call me Melanie. And no, I want to thank you. It's not every day I get the chance to right such a terrible wrong. It's my honor to be a part of your vindication."

 

Brian rolled his eyes, ready to be done with Melanie quickly. His eyes drilled into Brandon as he spoke, "I wish to speak with you before I leave, Brandon." He looked back at Melanie, his gaze hotly touching on Justin only briefly. "I trust that you won't need too much time, counselor. My prisoner should be in his cell - secured for the night."

 

Melanie bit her tongue to still all the harsh retorts that were poised on the edge of her tongue. She knew why Brian was being so difficult, and it amused her... but it wasn't worth her professional reputation to be seen going off on the authority figure of the prison. "I just need to cover a few things with my client." Melanie motioned to a bench not far away. "Could we have a seat, Justin?"

 

Justin nodded, and followed Melanie's lead; he kept his head averted from the two opposing men, knowing without a doubt both of them were watching him walk away. Two more days he kept telling himself. He could do this. He had to do it. As he sat down on the bench, Justin couldn't resist glancing in Brian's direction. That familiar mocking expression was on his face, yet behind it all, he could see simmering anger. What was he angry about? As he watched Brian walking with Brandon toward the door, he almost wished he could hear what was being said. He shook his head and turned his attention to Melanie. Brandon could take care of himself. He didn't doubt that for a minute. It was time that he looked out for himself and his own future. Justin was determined to start doing that today.

 

TBC