- Text Size +

 

Justin's eyes were wide open as he stared listlessly at the walls and bars that surrounded him. A part of him was almost relieved that it was now over. At least the aspect of being oblivious to his fate. There had never been any doubt that he was going to prison. The state had stacked the evidence against him. It still amazed him that so much circumstantial evidence could be acquired in such a short amount of time. It almost seemed as if someone had meticulously placed it, piece by piece, knowing precisely when and how it would be discovered. Justin shook his head, trying to place that in the back of his mind. That kind of thinking wouldn't do him any good now. The verdict and sentencing were now over. Short of a miracle or an appeal - neither of which he found to be likely, his life was inked out in stone for the next five to ten years. Now, it was a matter of finding the will and means to survive.

 

It had been all quiet in the corridor that led to the portion of the jail that housed the prisoners that were headed for Greensburg in the morning. He didn't know if it was a show of respect or just how things were done... Regardless of the reason, Justin found himself pleased about it. The last thing he wanted tonight was to hear whispers and mumbles taunting him. He heard enough of those rattling around in his own head. It was enough to accept that he was now a convicted felon. His life had now completely changed... and in the most derogatory of ways. When he got out... if he got out alive, what would he do with his life? Justin had heard enough stories of how difficult it was to adapt to civilian life after prison. He only hoped he had the opportunity to find out.

 

The lights had been turned out over an hour ago. As much as Justin tried to get his mind and body to shut down to get what he knew to be much-needed rest, he just couldn't. He was as wide awake as a child that laid in bed wishing for Christmas morning to arrive. His anxiousness was on the same level, yet it carried a vastly different sort of emotion. Justin trembled in the bunk as the realization continued to assail him. He was on his way to prison. No more waiting in the county jail. He was moving on to the big leagues now. In about ten hours, he would be placed in the transportation van with two other prisoners, on his way to prison. Fuck, how would he cope there? He wasn't naïve. He knew what those men would see when they looked at him. His youth, vulnerability, his obvious inexperience to this life. How could he survive amongst those men?

 

Justin knew he only had a couple of choices... one of them next to impossible to realize. The best-case scenario would be an appeal being accepted and granted. He knew that wasn't likely to happen. The state had done its job well. Despite it all being circumstantial, they had connected him to the crime. Eyewitness accounts had verified his presence at Chris' apartment mere minutes before his death. They had carried on a boisterous and frenzied discussion. Voices had been raised far louder than was reasonable. When Chris had struck him, Justin knew it was time to leave. The fever in Chris' eyes was a fearsome sight to him. Even though his back had been turned to Chris on the night of the bashing, in the aftermath, he remembered the fear only too well. He had to get out of there before Chris lost his composure again.

 

He shouldn't have even been there. Chris would never look him in the eye and apologize for his actions. Never show genuine regret. Fucking Pink Posse. They had ruined his life. Fuck. If only he could go back. All the ideals Cody expressed, ones that looked and sounded good... but ones that only brought grief and suffering. All he had wanted was for Chris to face up to his actions and accept why he had given in to his rage. Cody had convinced him a confrontation would be the only way to move on... the only way the nightmare of that night could leave him. Justin shook his head in bitter regret. How he'd fucked up. Now his life was ruined and the real killer was still at large. A killer that would most likely never be found.

 

Justin knew he couldn't go into tomorrow dwelling on the injustice that had brought him to this disastrous end. He had to find a way to coexist with the true criminals. Make a life for himself in his new home. He knew his only real hope rested within his second option. He needed to make friends. Some sort of support group that would be there for him. Protection was key in such an environment. Standing alone would not keep him safe. Justin wasn't certain anything would be for the long term... but he was a fighter. Somehow he would get through this... and when it was over, he would look back knowing that he had survived the greatest challenge he had ever faced... or would ever face. It all began tomorrow. He might appear to be weaker than the other prisoners, and undoubtedly he probably was... but that didn't matter. All that mattered was playing the game. Appearing to be more than what he was... fitting into the mold. Justin vowed he would find a way to blend into his environment.

 

He would both face and survive every obstacle that came his way. No matter what he had to do, who he had to befriend - he would make it.

 


 

Brian didn't even open his eyes as he hit the offending alarm the next morning. He knew what time it was without looking. Six fucking a.m. Of all nights for him to take home three tricks... last night had been the worst timing. If today turned out to be as long of a day as he thought it could be, the continued release of his dick had probably been a good thing. Brian settled back and waited for the snooze to do its job, soon to realize he would be fully awakened in another fashion.

 

"Fuck, man. How early do you need to get up?" the nameless trick grumbled from beside him.

 

His eyes snapped open in an instant. Brian gave the trick an icy look. "What the fuck are you still doing here? I was clear on that last night. I don't do sleepovers."

 

"I didn't think you'd mind since the other two left. What's the big deal? It was late." Nameless trick had the nerve to look affronted by his host's attitude.

 

Brian rolled his eyes, slipping out of the bed and padding naked to the bathroom. He looked over his shoulder, uncaring of the appreciative glance he was receiving. "I'm taking a shower. You need to be gone before I'm back out."

 

The trick scowled at Brian's retreating form. "Damn. Why do all the hottest guys have to be the biggest assholes?"

 

Brian's head peeked through the door. "Don't even think about stealing anything, either. I'll come after you and shoot you."

 

"As if you have anything I want." The trick slid out of bed and into his jeans in a quick, irritated manner. After slipping into his shoes and jacket, he shouted at the bathroom door, uncertain of whether Brian would hear him or not. "Fuck you, Kinney!"

 

Brian smiled as the trick slammed from the loft. No matter that the water had been running, he hadn't been under the shower spray just yet. He had heard him loud and clear. He shrugged as he stepped toward the shower door, feeling no guilt for his treatment of the man. His reputation was renowned. Any man that came home with him knew the score. If they wanted clingy or a repeat performance, they would do better finding a fucking lesbian. That wasn't him, nor would it ever be. Brian didn't think a man existed to warrant more than one look. Once he had them, the mystery and lust dissipated. He couldn't imagine that ever changing.

 

That was the funny thing about life. Some things were always destined to change. Hours later a cycle would begin that would quickly alter those perceptions.

 


 

Brian coldly eyed the prisoner that was seated across from his desk, the guard standing by the door ready to dispel any act of aggression. "Tell me, Briggs. Why the fuck are you in my office again?"

 

Silence prevailed. The prisoner that had only served one year of a six-year sentence not even deigning to look at him. That was generally typical in these meetings. Some would suck up to the warden, thinking it would lessen their punishment. Often that was not the case. Each infraction was different. More often than not, Brian felt compelled to make an example out of the offender. Not doing so would make his leadership weak and provoke even more chaos. That was something that would not be tolerated in his prison. This prisoner was one of the silent lots. He would take his punishment without voicing one word in his defense. Brian shrugged indifferently. So be it.

 

"Guard?" Brian snapped, his tone symbolic of how he was quickly feeling this day to be shaping up.

 

The guard rushed forward, maintaining a respectful pace back from both the warden and the prisoner. "Yes, Warden?"

 

"Place Briggs in the hole for twenty-four hours." Brian's eyes flickered away from his guard, to look at the prisoner that continued to show no emotion. We'll see about that, Brian decided. He was tired of this man going rogue and disrupting the balance he had worked so hard to achieve. "He's to be kept in restraints." Brian smiled icily when he noticed a flicker of response in the man's eyes. "In the meantime, I will take under consideration placing you within a different security level."

 

Brian had the prisoner's complete attention now. The man's eyes widened, displaying a flash of fear and more feeling than Brian had ever viewed in him during the past year of his incarceration. Arching a brow, Brian murmured, "Got your attention, didn't I? Use the next twenty-four hours to think about your situation... and if you wish to improve it. As far as I'm concerned, it's immaterial... however, you might not appreciate the change." Brian's gaze returned to the guard standing in a tense, yet alert pose. "Take him away, Brackett. We're done here."

 

"Yes, Sir." The guard grasped the prisoner's arm, firmly nudging him toward the door. Once through the door, Brackett took the message the warden's secretary wanted to be passed on. Turning to glance back, he told him, "Warden, the van transporting the new prisoners has arrived. They are being processed now."

 

Nodding, Brian answered, "Right on schedule. Thank you, Brackett."

 

Brian shut down his computer; security or not, he never left anything to chance, pausing only to pick up the files he held for the three new prisoners. He locked the door, before proceeding down to the holding and processing area. In the seven years that he'd held this position, Brian had become a good judge of character. He was always on site when each prisoner was being processed in... seeing much as he watched from his secluded vantage point behind the one-way glass. Of course, the prisoners knew what the glass signified, but they never knew for certain who was on the other side. Brian gauged much from their earliest moments. They were generally unguarded, and for him - easily assessed.

 

He closed the door behind him, nodding to Ben in greeting, not the least bit surprised he was already present. Ben was not only a good friend, but the prison psychologist. He would evaluate each new inmate and give his recommendation to Brian regarding the state of mind of each prisoner, as well as the most appropriate placement for each prisoner. That aspect was what kept the prison operating smoothly. Security levels were all that kept a prison from complete chaos. Dorms, single cells, and cells that accommodated two prisoners, all had to be assigned without error. Placing the more violent prisoners in a dorm-style environment inevitably provoked incidents that were very difficult to combat without casualty. A few had slipped into that level over the years. The recovery was always extensive.

 

"Good morning, Ben." He glanced briefly through the mirror, barely glancing at the men as he looked at the files in his hands. "I made an initial placement assignment for the men until your evaluations are complete. That can be changed if you recommend otherwise."

 

"Very good, Sir." Ben was new to his position at Greensburg, but he'd been friends with Brian for many years. They had actually had a one-night encounter years ago, back in their college days. It was fun, intense... but it was mutually accepted it was over, come morning. He'd never looked back. He was certain Brian felt the same. In the prison, Ben always addressed Brian with the respect his position was due. Their personal relationship was always kept separate. "I looked at the placements you made... and well, I don't mean to step out of bounds, but I think you should reconsider the one."

 

Brian looked up sharply, unaccustomed to having his decisions questioned. In particular, not from Ben. "Our cell space is limited. I placed two of them in dorms, and the one that concerned me the most, in the highest security of a single cell."

 

"I agree with that one completely." Ben looked down at the paperwork. "That one would be Jim Bales. Convicted on multiple counts of assault. He's one to watch."

 

"Agreed." Brian continued to look at the files, briefly glancing ahead to see the body cavity search being conducted, the back of the guards conducting the procedure slightly obstructing his view. "The second prisoner, William Rappaport seems a low-security risk. He's convicted for theft, a first-time offender. We can watch him, but for now, I think the dorm will be suitable."

 

Ben nodded, his gaze pulling to the young blond at the end of the line. He glanced at Brian uncertainly for a moment, knowing he had to draw particular attention to the young man... yet, unsure if he wanted to do so with Brian. "Uhhh. My concern is regarding the last prisoner. Definitely one of our youngest... and well, on the first impression - one that will stand out."

 

"Stand out?" Brian frowned as he looked up at Ben, his head turning to look more intently into the enclosed room... his own eyes widening in understanding as he got his first look at the new arrival, number three. Fuck, how did that sweet little baby face get pulled into a life of crime? Brian moved closer to the glass, his eyes taking in every discernible detail. The guard was now stepping up to examine the blond's mouth, the boy's eyes staring straight ahead, apparently attempting to block out the degrading examination. Brian watched in rapt fascination as the exam was completed, his eyes narrowing when that mouth closed. Now there was a mouth that was designed to give a man pleasure. The thought was unbidden... and it was instant. He didn't know how long he'd been staring at that perfectly shaped face, when he heard Ben clearing his throat indelicately behind him.

 

"Sir? I think you see what I mean. That young man could cause quite a stir in the dorms..."

 

Brian smiled, his eyes moving down the compact, but oh-so masculine body encased in prison-issue orange. Brian's cock began to twitch. You're too right, Ben. That young man is already causing quite a stir. A temptation I'd be wise to avoid. Brian whistled under his breath as the prisoners were led out of the room, onto the next step of their processing. "Yes," Brian answered, his voice heavy. Brian looked down at the file only when the boy had left the room and his sight, his gaze refreshing his name in his mind. A name he had a feeling he would remember for a long time to come. "Justin Taylor," Brian spoke the name almost experimentally, as if trying the name out on his tongue. A prelude to all he'd like to try out on that young man.

 

Ben knew Brian so well. This was bad... really bad. "I'm speaking to you as your friend now, Brian. For God's sake be careful."

 

Brian laughed, clapping Ben lightly on the back. "Benjamin Bruckner, you worry too much. I'm fine." He sobered almost instantly. "Back to his placement. For now, switch him to a cell."

 

"Single or with a cellmate?"

 

"We can't tie up one of our few remaining single cells for a man who - on the surface - doesn't appear to be any sort of a threat. Place him with a cellmate, but choose wisely. I'll leave that up to you." Brian straightened his tie and moved toward the door. "Now, I'm going to introduce myself to the new prisoners and lay out the rules." Brian kept on walking out the door, telling himself he was only doing his job... when deep down he knew it to be much more. He wanted a closer look at Justin Taylor. He hoped that upon a closer inspection, the blond wouldn't be as appealing.

 

As he stepped into the holding room and came face to face with those intense blue eyes, Brian knew his life at Greensburg State Correctional Institution had suddenly morphed into change. How that change was carried out would remain to be seen.

 

TBC