- Text Size +

 

Brian glared at the door soon after the impatient knocking had begun. He knew his unwanted morning visitor couldn't see his displeasure... but they would feel it soon enough. Already his day hadn't started off as planned. He had been awakened by Ben at 8 a.m. instructing him that Justin's court appearance had been changed. Thankfully, it hadn't been delayed to another day; he wasn't certain he could stand that ordeal much longer. As it was, it had become increasingly difficult to keep Justin sequestered in solitary confinement. He knew it was best and what was safe for not only Justin, and the other inmates... but he didn't enjoy punishing Justin when he clearly hadn't done anything to warrant it.

 

As he finished straightening his tie in the long mirror next to his bed, Brian scowled as the incessant tapping continued. His feet tapped across the hardwood floor as he pulled open the door to angrily greet his guest. His eyes rolled as he focused on who had both the nerve and bad timing to delay him this morning. "What the fuck do you want? Shouldn't you be preparing for your big day in court?"

 

Melanie pushed Brian aside as she stormed into the loft; she set her briefcase down on the coffee table before turning to glower at him accusingly. "I appreciate the communication that I didn't receive this morning regarding Justin's delayed... and much-altered hearing."

 

Brian snorted. "I guess my office missed the change of legal counsel." He smiled at her falsely, before his mouth turned back into a scowl. "Forgive me if I am not overcome with anxiety over your inconvenience."

 

"I don't give a damn about that, Brian. I want to know why the last-minute changes! Everything is cut and dry in Justin's case. I swear if any of you are trying to pull something to keep Justin in prison... you will have the fight of your lives!" Melanie's eyes glittered in rage, inwardly seething that Justin continued to be victimized.

 

"Calm down!" Brian snapped. "This attitude won't do your client any good when you are in front of a good judge. I don't know why the venue has changed. It might be a good thing. Justin is a bit timid at times. Privacy might work to his advantage."

 

"Aren't you listening to me? He doesn't need any special treatment! His case was won the minute Chris Hobbs returned from the dead." Melanie eyed Brian in suspicion. "I can't believe you don't know anything."

 

Brian shrugged indifferently. "What do I know about the court process; I just deal with them after the court passes judgment."

 

"You know something, Brian. Spit it out! I don't have time to fuck around with you this morning!!!"

 

He gave Melanie a scathing and completely disinterested glance. "I generally prefer to swallow... and sadly, you're not my type."

 

"God! You're such an asshole! Just tell me what I need to know, Brian. I had assumed we both wanted the same thing - Justin walking free today!" Melanie was beyond exasperated. As always, Brian wanted to play his mind games. She had no clue what he did or did not know... but if he did know something, she needed to be aware of it before walking into the judge's chambers.

 

"Fine. I'll tell you what Ben relayed to me. He is my major liaison between the prison and the Pittsburgh PD." Brian took in a deep breath, uncertain of how he felt about this either. "Apparently Chief Stockwell went to the top of the ladder. I am assuming he urged the Governor that this could be a media circus; now as much as he wants the positive PR in an election year, he fears riots from the gay community as well."

 

"That's exactly what the bigoted sonofabitch should have!" Melanie grumbled.

 

"Now now, counselor... your bias is showing," Brian smirked at her, tongue-in-cheek, not admitting he felt exactly the same.

 

Melanie pursed her lips, before she spat out, "This entire case stinks to high heaven, Brian. I know it hasn't escaped your notice either."

 

"I'm not saying I haven't wondered about the irregularities. However, the justice system works most of the time. It's all we've got. Thankfully, we have a day like today where a wrong gets righted." Brian gave Melanie a rare smile. "That has to feel good."

 

"It does; I just don't like this closed hearing in the judge's chambers. This is not how these hearings are conducted... and it just speaks of corroboration..."

 

Brian sighed, his eyes looking at the time. "Listen, Melanie... we need to go. It could just be a simple case of Stockwell not wanting to get victimized in the press. Granted, this will still be a front-page story... but an open courtroom could be a three-ring circus. Between you and me, do I think Justin Taylor was railroaded for that crime because he was queer, and under Stockwell's jurisdiction - hell yes, I do. It goes without saying. But proving it is another matter entirely."

 

"Sadly, I'm afraid I have to agree with you." Melanie sighed, realizing Brian hadn't been anything more than a sounding board... but perhaps that was what she'd needed most. Today's most pressing matter of business was seeing that Justin was released. Fixing the further injustices in the world would just have to wait for another day.

 


 

Justin could barely feel his legs beneath him as he walked into the judge's chambers. He frowned as he looked around. This wasn't what he had expected... and it was far less informal than his last time in court. When he stepped inside, he found his attorney and Brian laughing at something the previously somber judge had just said. He glanced to the back of the room where his mom and Daphne sat in chairs obviously brought in for the meeting. He made eye contact with them briefly, only a momentary smile quirking his lips done with the purpose of reassuring them that he was fine. He wasn't sure of that at the moment, though. Was he fine? Right now, he found himself very uncertain of that.

 

Brian moved away from the desk, his eyes intent on Justin. Fuck, how did this boy always look so damned good in prison-issue? That was the last thought that should be coming to his mind right now, but somehow it was unavoidable. More than that - he couldn't wait to see him in civilian clothes. Tight jeans with the effect of being sprayed on came instantly to mind. He could visualize touching his cock through his pants in them, playing with him until he was pleading for the same release he knew they both craved. Then, finally, pulling those tight jeans from his body... at long last, worshiping that body that so obsessed him. He shook himself from his thoughts. Now wasn't the time. It was disarming that he was overwhelmed with such thoughts - here and now. This kid had been a danger to him from day one. It was good that he would soon be out of his prison. Brian knew he couldn't take much more.

 

The judge frowned as he observed the warden's stiff, and unmoving posture. "Is there a problem, Warden Kinney?"

 

"Problem?" Brian's eyes swept up and down the blond that wouldn't meet his gaze. "No, Your Honor. None at all." He glanced at the guards that stood on each side of his prisoner. "You can wait outside. I'll call if we need you."

 

Justin felt as if his heart was about to pound directly out of his chest as he felt all eyes on him. He didn't know how he was supposed to act. Melanie hadn't really briefed him on that. There had been so little time to cover all the details. Decorum hadn't been at the top of the list... now he wasn't sure it shouldn't have been. He kept his eyes downcast, waiting to be told what to do next. Screwing this up now was the last thing he wanted to do.

 

"Mr. Taylor, have a seat." The judge motioned him to sit directly across from his desk. Judge Tremont watched as the young man he had sent to prison timidly took the offered seat, regret clearly showing in his own eyes. "I believe we know why we are all here today."

 

Swallowing as he looked up at the judge, Justin barely noticed Brian and Melanie taking seats on either side of him. This was not the setting he had expected at all. It was unnerving being so up close and personal with the man that still controlled his future. He only hoped this time the judge took a much different line with him.

 

"I switched this to an informal hearing for various reasons, all of which I don't see the need to discuss today... but I will say that I don't want these proceedings to become a media event, and that is quite obviously what could happen." He folded his hands over the file on his desk. "The evidence, in this case, is absolute, and all counts irrefutable. Furthermore, Mr. Taylor, it has also been relayed to me that you have been an exemplary prisoner, both by Warden Kinney and Dr. Brucker."

 

Justin stared at the judge with a wide-eyed gaze, uncertain if he should be responding to him. When the judge appeared to be preparing to continue his speech, Justin decided silence might be the appropriate response.

 

"It is the decision of this court, Mr. Taylor, that you have been the victim of a grievous error..."

 

Melanie rolled her eyes, forcing herself to remain silent. Grievous error? That's how they wanted to classify it? She wanted to curse at the justice system she had taken vows to uphold. The record was moments away from being set right... but that didn't give Justin reparation for what she was certain he had endured. However, she had a plan for that too.

 

Jennifer clutched at Daphne's arm from the back of the room. Her heart was pounding in her chest; in fact, it had been from the moment she'd first learned of the return of Chris Hobbs. This entire time she had feared something would go wrong, never accepting that Justin would truly be freed. As she listened to the words the austere judge spoke, for the first time she truly began to believe her son would soon be a free man.

 

"I'm not going to prolong this for you, Mr. Taylor; it is in the opinion of this court that you have been inconvenienced long enough. As I have just stated, the evidence supporting your innocence is substantial. Your paperwork is being processed now. Once it is completed, you are free and vindicated. Your conviction will be overturned."

 

Justin gasped, smiling as he heard the murmurs of joy from behind him; if he was to look, he'd expect his mom to be hugging Daphne tightly. "I- I thank you, Your Honor."

 

Melanie's eyes narrowed on the self-satisfied judge. Oh no, he wouldn't get off that easy. "Your Honor, with all due respect - in light of all my client has suffered, a full vindication isn't good enough."

 

Brian groaned. Why couldn't the damned woman keep her fucking mouth shut? Justin was free to walk... and she had to bicker over trivial details - ones he was fairly certain she wouldn't get.

 

Judge Tremont's face became red in sudden distemper. "What are you suggesting, counselor?"

 

"A public acknowledgment... and financial restitution for the time Mr. Taylor has lost from being gainfully employed." Melanie's eyes were cold as she stared the judge down that she felt to be every bit as bigoted as Chief Jim Stockwell. They were working together to pull the strings here. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that they wanted this matter swept under the rug. She'd be damned if she allowed that to happen.

 

"Ms. Marcus, I do understand the burden Mr. Taylor's incarceration has most likely placed on him. I am not ignorant of economic matters. We all have to deal with finances on a daily basis. Considering that, I will award Mr. Taylor a settlement of two thousand dollars. I cannot in good conscience grant more in consideration of the amount of time he has been imprisoned." Judge Tremont looked back and forth between Justin and his attorney, his stiff posture and expression stating this would be the best they would receive.

 

Melanie inclined her head in agreement. "That's acceptable, Your Honor. I'm sure that will help Justin get back on his feet again. And the public announcement?"

 

"His conviction will be completely overturned without any prejudice, and it will be a matter of public record." His voice was curt when he added, "That is all I am prepared to offer."

 

Justin cleared his throat nervously. "Your Honor? I am fine with your decision..."

 

Brian looked over at Justin, smiling in approval at him. The boy did utilize common sense at times. He understood what Melanie was trying to do, and he actually applauded her for it - although, he would never admit that to her - now or ever. It was time to let that go, and allow Justin to live his life. That was clearly all he wanted. He didn't see Justin as a vengeful young man. In this case, he had every right to be... but he didn't see Justin pursuing that. In actuality, that made Justin more healthy and stable than most men that were released from prison; in fact, he was more mentally sound than most men he had known in any part of his life.

 

"Very well, then." Judge Tremont affixed his gaze completely on Justin. "It is the decision of this court that your previous conviction is now overturned. You will be escorted to the clerk to sign some papers... and then, you are free to go."

 

"Thank you, Your Honor." Tears were brimming in his eyes... quickly he found himself barely able to see through them. "Could I have a moment with my mom before I sign them? I promise to be brief."

 

Nodding, the judge stood to his feet. "I actually have another case to review. I'll let you use my office for a few minutes." He looked at Brian inquiringly. "Would you see that Mr. Taylor makes it to the clerk's office?"

 

"It would be my pleasure, Your Honor." In fact, that fit in with his plans nicely. After the processing was complete, Brian knew he would have more than a few words to share with the beautiful blond. He couldn't wait to get started.

 

Justin stood from the chair, barely able to believe what had just happened. He was now a free man. Not ten years later, or even five years... but now. He could scarcely take it all in. He turned and moved toward his mom with legs that felt like they were filled with lead. When he saw the tears flowing equally between both women, Justin stretched his arms out wide. It only took an instant for them each to move into them. He slightly grimaced as Daphne launched at him like a freight train; Justin laughed, he wouldn't have expected anything else from his boisterous best friend. His mom moved into his arms with infinite grace and ease... even in this intensely emotional moment, she stayed true to form. He held them tightly as they each grasped onto him and sobbed into his neck. Once again the world had been set right.

 

Melanie tugged on Brian's arm, a knowing glint in her eyes. "C'mon, Warden. Let's give them a moment."

 

Brian smiled and nodded. "Yeah. All around, a very good day."

 

"It is." Melanie pulled Brian out into the hallway, quick to reaffirm, "These are the days that make everything worth it. I might not get many of them... but this one makes all the difference in the world."

 

TBC