- Text Size +

 

Stockwell stared at the space Melanie Marcus had just vacated. She had clearly learned what little Hobbs knew... but not enough to pin anything to him. He found himself thinking back to every moment he'd spent with Craig Taylor, trying to decipher if any mistakes had been made. He didn't think there had been. He was always painstakingly cautious. But had Taylor made a mistake; some minor little slip that could cost him everything?

 

He wasn't particularly concerned about Melanie. She would never suspect him... and she wasn't the root of the problem. The true problem resided where it always had - the worthless little faggot, Justin Taylor. He had released him quickly, only partially to save face. The public could see it as him trying to salvage the department's reputation... but it had been more about keeping that little blond-headed freak silent. Apparently, vindication hadn't been enough for him.

 

His eyes were filled with hate as he stared at the empty chair across from his desk. He couldn't trust anyone. Craig Taylor had been a prime example of that. But one solution screamed at him, the one that he knew he should have implemented the moment of Justin's release. Once he rid himself of Justin Taylor, all the suspicion would move from him. He had just worked through red tape in order to speed up Justin's release. No one would ever think he could be involved in his murder.

 

Murder was exactly what it would be. Justin Taylor needed to die. Only then, could he put this behind him, once and for all.

 


 

Melanie arrived at the prison, her eyes were wide, taking in everything and everyone that passed her way. She was amazed that she had made the long drive to the prison without any mishaps. She lied through her teeth in order to gain entrance to the warden's office. Right now, red tape was the last thing she had time to follow. The arrogant asshole had better not refuse her now. Too much was at stake. Melanie couldn't help but think it could be far worse than any of them could imagine. She stormed down the corridor that led to his office, holding up her pass to anyone that stepped in her path to slow her down; eyes firmly trained on the end of the hallway that would hopefully give her the assistance she so desperately needed.

 

Without speaking a word to the guard watching Brian's office, Melanie burst through the door without knocking, not doubting how unpleasantly she would be received. "I'm sorry, Brian. I need to talk to you now!"

 

"Warden, she barged right past my desk. I couldn't stop her..." the hapless guard protested, his arms flailing dramatically at his sides.

 

Rolling his eyes, Brian motioned him away, barking out, "Leave us... and close the door behind you. More importantly - try and keep everyone else out!"

 

Melanie approached the desk, only now noticing that Brian wasn't alone. "I'm sorry, Ben. I really need to talk to Brian."

 

"Warden Kinney to you counselor..." Brian sneered, quickly taking a seat behind his desk.

 

Ben stood to his feet, his eyes darting back and forth between them anxiously. "I'll just be in my office, Brian. We can go over these reports later."

 

"If it's okay, I'd like it if you stayed, Ben. Your input would be invaluable." Melanie gave Ben her most beseeching look, having no doubt that he could be helpful... and right now, help was very much in need.

 

Looking to Brian for approval, Ben returned to his seat following Brian's affirmative nod. The tension that surrounded Melanie was almost eerie. Not only could he see it, but he could feel it as well. Something was very wrong, and for some reason, she believed they could help. Knowing her recent representation of Justin, he hoped it didn't involve him. Waiting until she took the only empty seat across from Brian's desk, Ben asked her, "It's not Justin, is it?"

 

Brian's attention immediately held onto Ben's words. That thought hadn't escaped him, either. Melanie was clearly distressed... and it stood to reason that it had something to do with Justin Taylor. He hoped it didn't... but his gut told him that it did. "What's going on?" Brian bit out, ceasing his standard caustic comments with Melanie that generally dominated in their relationship.

 

"To answer your question, Ben, yes, it does have something to do with Justin. However, a bit indirectly..."

 

"Get to the fucking point!" Brian exploded, quickly earning him a look of censure from both Ben and Melanie. "I don't have all damn day. In case you have forgotten - I am running a prison here!"

 

Melanie knew that failing to rise to Brian's outburst in her standard caustic wit would show the autocratic warden just how important this matter could be. In fact, she was certain that lives were still in danger, primarily the one that had just escaped his wrongful imprisonment. "I paid a visit to Chris Hobbs this morning. It wasn't quite as informative as I would have liked... but I still gathered useful information."

 

"Chris Hobbs!" Ben's eyes were wide with shock and confusion. "This is highly unethical, Melanie. And I must say, not like you. Why on earth would you do that?"

 

Brian smirked, knowing exactly why. Melanie Marcus, whether he liked her or not most of the time, was a tenacious little bulldog. He did admire that at times. If this visit helped achieve Justin's safety, he was all for it... but if it proved to be detrimental, then he and Melanie would have problems. Brian wasn't the least bit interested in Melanie's normally lofty ethics. All he cared about was results, in particular, how they pertained to Justin. Nothing else really mattered. "What did you learn?"

 

"None of this has ever added up. I couldn't let it go." When Ben and Brian looked impatiently at her, she explained, "Chris Hobbs' body had been pronounced dead before Justin's incarceration. Then he came up missing until he arrived to clear Justin. There was no way he could have perfected that on his own. He had to have help... and influential help at that. Surely you can see that?"

 

Grudgingly, Ben inclined his head. As much as he didn't approve of crossing the line in this manner, Melanie had a very good point. "Yes, I agree. Chris Hobbs couldn't have done this on his own."

 

"This isn't exactly a news flash, counselor," Brian spoke dryly. "I hope you have something more..."

 

"Yes, I do. Thanks so much for your confidence, warden," she replied drolly. "Hobbs revealed that Craig Taylor had been the mastermind. As we all know, Craig Taylor is now dead. In fact, murdered. Hobbs states that he doesn't know who else was involved, but that someone obviously was. Craig Taylor didn't have the money to consistently pay Hobbs off... nor have the power to change medical or police records."

 

Ben gasped, his jaw dropping down in complete disbelief. "Justin's father? It's absolutely incomprehensible! What kind of father sets his son up like that? Even though Justin wasn't close to his father... the psychological implications of this are immense!"

 

Brian gritted his teeth in fury. How he would love to get his hands on the deceased Mr. Taylor. One thing was for certain, if he could, his career would undoubtedly be over. There would be no understanding or forgiveness for that man. How could he have done this to his own flesh and blood? And a man such as Justin? And yet, that wasn't the worst of it. It was more than apparent that Craig Taylor's murderer was still out there... and obviously had a grudge against Justin as well. That meant Justin was in danger.

 

Melanie nodded. "That's why I wanted you to stay, Ben. I'm concerned about how Justin will respond to this. If I have the story right, Justin had only just found out about his father's death while in prison... the truth surrounding that death could be devastating."

 

"Justin is stronger than you realize, Mel. He will work through this and be even stronger." Brian's voice was filled with pride as he spoke, unbeknownst to him, completely interpreted by the two of them. "However... Justin is clearly not safe. Discovering who murdered his father is a top priority. Are there any leads from the police on that?"

 

An indelicate grunt followed. "No. And I don't see them breaking their backs to solve it. They clearly are intent on filing it away as a robbery. I think we all know that isn't the case." Melanie bit at her bottom lip, a shiver suddenly assailing her as she remembered her meeting with Chief Stockwell. "I had a run-in with Chief Stockwell after my meeting with Hobbs. It was less than pleasant."

 

Brian snorted. "They always are."

 

"He informed me that I wasn't an acceptable visitor for Mr. Hobbs and that I had better not return. The entire meeting made me uneasy. I felt like I was being interrogated, and watched every single moment. For a while, I wasn't even certain he would let me leave." Melanie clearly remembered the anger in Chief Stockwell. As many times as she had dealt with him in the courtroom, this had been different. He had shaken her... and that wasn't done easily.

 

"It could simply be a matter of Stockwell fearing his police department appearing as laughing stocks again... or it could be more." Brian tapped at his chin thoughtfully. "I have a very well-connected friend that can obtain cell phone records and virtually anything I need. I will give him a call."

 

"Thank you, Brian. Perhaps I should fill Carl in about this. Maybe he can find something out..."

 

Brian shook his head, vehemently answering, "No! As much as I trust Carl Horvath, I don't like entrusting Justin's life to local law enforcement. Look what happened to him before... and let's not forget - whoever killed Craig Taylor and plotted this out is very well connected."

 

Ben reached over and patted Melanie's hand reassuringly. "Brian's right, Melanie. I don't think anyone can be trusted now. This information should stay inside this room."

 

"I'll have Craig Taylor's phone records quickly... and once I do, it might lead us directly to our killer." He looked at them impatiently, silently willing them to leave. "I'll be in touch as soon as I hear something."

 

Knowing this wasn't something that she had ever done often, Melanie thanked Brian again. "Thanks. I'll be at home the rest of the day. I'm worried about this, Brian. Really worried. Someone out there obviously had it in for Justin; what's to happen now that he's free?"

 

Brian nodded, another thought, prodding at his mind. Justin wasn't safe in that little apartment with his roommate. How could they possibly combat a vicious attack? That raised another problem... and one that held only one viable solution. Right now, risking his career was the least of his concerns. "I'll make sure Justin stays safe." His eyes darkened in determined anger, when he spoke, "That I promise!"

 

Ben's eyes widened at Brian's almost prophetic statement, a slow smile materializing on his lips. Brian had finally let go of that part of himself that blocked love from his life. These moments in his office might have been unsettling in one way, but they produced hope in another. Brian loved Justin. He would see to his safety. Ben watched as Melanie departed, his eyes assessing on Brian. Now wasn't the time for 'I told you so', now was the time to hear his plan. For some reason, Ben wasn't certain he would like it. "So... what's the plan, Brian? I know you have one regarding Justin's protection."

 

"Leave it, Ben. I don't want to drag you into it." Brian flipped through his address book, searching for the number that he hoped would name Craig Taylor's co-conspirator. "My friend is a federal agent. It's best for him if I speak with him privately..."

 

Standing to his feet, Ben nodded, quickly moving to the door. "Okay. I'll stop back later. Be careful, Brian. I have a very bad feeling about this."

 

"I do too, Ben." Brian waited for his call to be answered; the other part of his plan was already forming. As much as he hoped his friend could assist in that part as well; if not, he would take matters into his own hands. Justin would not be staying in that unsecured apartment. If he had to take him to a safe place and jeopardize his own job in the process - he would do it.

 

Justin was worth it. He was worth it all. When this was over, and Justin was safe once more, Brian would make sure that Justin understood that.

 

TBC