- Text Size +

 

Brian's eyes had been pulled to the phone in his office more times than he wanted to count in the past hour. When he wasn't looking at it, he was checking his cell phone to make sure that his call wasn't somehow redirected there. Fuck! What was taking so long for his former college buddy to return his call? It didn't take this long to search cell phone records, even if the person in question was deceased; at least, not when one possessed the technology of a special agent. The length of time that had passed only served to alarm Brian more. As much as he wanted to be optimistic, and believe this nightmare was over for Justin, his gut told him differently. An enemy existed in Justin's world, someone who had gone to great lengths to incarcerate him. There was no reason to believe that this 'nameless' person had suddenly developed a change of heart. As wonderful as that would be, Brian knew that wasn't how the real world worked.

 

Forcing himself to keep on task this past hour had been next to impossible. He wanted to leave the prison and check on Justin's well-being. He knew he couldn't do that just yet. As of now, he had nothing solid to base his accusations on. If he went to Justin imploring him to succumb to special protection, or the plan he was still methodically working out in his mind, Justin would rebuff every word he had to say. Right now he couldn't really blame him. To Justin, he would sound like a madman bent on controlling him again... just as he had seemed to be here in prison. Once again, he feared he would be placed in the role of protector, and again, he doubted that Justin would be on board with his more extreme methods.

 

His bottom line was very simple, though. Keeping Justin safe was all that mattered. He would go to any lengths to make that happen. When the phone finally rang, Brian swallowed, before picking up the phone. His palm slightly shook when he made contact with the object. Fuck. What was wrong with him? He had felt an eerie shiver coming over him the moment the phone rang. What that meant he didn't know. All he did know was that he had to answer it... and that he was more frightened than he had ever been.

 

Jaw tensing in resolution, and anger at his uncommon vulnerability, he clipped into the phone, "Warden Kinney."

 

"Brian. Calvin here." A deep, and seemingly anxious breath fell from his throat. "I thought this would be quick... but the more I found - the deeper I looked." His tone was apprehensive, and almost curt when he asked, "Are you able to speak freely?"

 

"Yes, Calvin. I'm alone in my office." Brian released a deep breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. "I don't like the sound of this, old buddy. You found something."

 

"Indeed I did, my friend. The last thing any man in law enforcement ever wants to find..." he snapped bitterly. "You've got some big-time problems there in Pittsburgh, Brian."

 

That didn't surprise him, but all he really cared about was how that pertained to Justin. "What can you tell me?"

 

"I shouldn't be telling you anything. I've already got my people on this... and I'll be heading to Pittsburgh within the hour."

 

"Okay. How about we start with this - how much danger is Justin Taylor in?" Brian already knew the answer, he just needed validation; there wasn't a doubt he was about to receive it.

 

A muffled curse followed. "Your friend is in great danger, Brian. I need your word that this is between you and me; not even the kid can know of this until we get a wrap on it."

 

More secrets to keep from Justin. Fucking great, Brian thought derisively to himself. He would never get the boy back at this rate. "I don't like keeping secrets from him, Calvin. However, if it saves his life, I will do whatever needs to be done."

 

"If my hunch serves me right... it won't take long." He paused to rifle through the papers scattered on his desk, his jaw clenching as everything continued to fall into place. How he hated police corruption. It was, in his opinion, the most vicious form of abuse from authority to the public they were sworn to protect. Bringing this bigoted man down would be one of his greatest pleasures and accomplishments.

 

"What should I do while waiting for your arrival?" Brian didn't take orders often, but he trusted Calvin; he knew his professionalism well. Calvin would resolve it. In addition, he hoped that Calvin's answer would fill in some of the missing pieces of the puzzle.

 

"I'm going to fax you the details, but I'm placing Mr. Taylor in a safe house. Read the document, and destroy it immediately. I don't want anyone else knowing about this, Brian." Calvin inhaled and exhaled deeply, his brow furrowed in deep thought. "Chief Stockwell was Craig Taylor's co-conspirator, in fact, most likely, the brains and money behind the operation. Taylor fucked up in his phone records... and in his financial records. I don't have everything I need to indict Stockwell - yet - but if I have a day or two - I will have everything I need. Hell! He's even got the coroner involved in this. As I said - there are big problems in Pittsburgh!"

 

Brian's teeth clenched in fury. Sneering, Brian spat out, "Stockwell. I knew he wasn't being altruistic in his diligent handling of Justin's wrongful incarceration. He was trying to save his ass from any suspicion... not to mention, being the hero in the gay community. I'd like to take the sonofabitch out myself!"

 

Calvin sighed; a smile curving his lips. "As good as that might feel, buddy, I'm afraid you'll have to leave that to me. And you are far too valuable as the warden of a formerly unruly prison to lose. The state of Pennsylvania needs you exactly where you are now."

 

His eyes rolling, Brian caustically replied, "Nice little pep talk there, Calvin... but let's be clear - if Stockwell gets near Justin, and I have an opportunity, I won't be waiting for the Feds to arrive and save the fucking day!"

 

"I know you won't, Brian. I'll be there soon. I just need you to maintain Justin in the meantime. I don't really care what means you need to utilize to gain his cooperation. If he isn't secured by the time of my arrival - he will be placed there by force. I can't have an open target for Stockwell... and more innocent civilians possibly slaughtered."

 

Brian began to swear proficiently. "There's no need for threats; I will do what needs to be done. Just fax me the location... and I will have Justin there within the hour!" Brian's hand ripped the document from the fax machine as soon as it printed; instantly he committed it to memory before shredding it into minuscule pieces. Justin might fight him - again - but he would be protected. And Stockwell, professional ethics would be damned - if he had a chance to lay his hands on him - he would kill him with his own bare hands!

 


 

Justin had just returned from lunch with his mom, when a harsh tapping came to his apartment door. Frowning at who it could be, and why the urgency in the heaving pounding, Justin rushed to the door, his eyes widening in surprise at his unexpected daytime visitor. "Warden Kinney... and in the middle of a workday. To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?"

 

"Not a good time for flippant, Justin." Brian pushed his way inside, refusing to show the relief he felt that Justin was presently okay. "Don't you ever answer your fucking cell phone? You know, that is the primary function of the device!? When someone calls - you fucking answer!"

 

"For your information, warden, I just had my cell phone turned back on..." Justin shook his head incredulously, unable to believe he was responding to Brian's irrational outburst. "Anyways... that isn't any of your business. Now, could you tell me what you want... and then, kindly leave?"

 

Brian moved to the window, his eyes looking down onto the street, quickly scanning for any problems. Glancing back at Justin's glowering expression, he answered, "Don't worry, Justin. I won't be here for long. However, I won't be leaving alone. You are coming with me."

 

"Coming with you? Are you out of your fucking mind, Brian?" Justin's jaw dropped down in astonishment. "I think I was more than clear the night we were together how things stand between us. I don't see where any of that has changed!"

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian's voice was barely audible - "You're wrong, Justin. A lot has changed... but I don't have the time to debate that now. We need to go. Now... pack a bag and let's go; I'll get the rest for you later."

 

"Pack a bag?" Justin moved closer, his eyes widening when he observed the concern on Brian's face - a look that oddly, Brian was doing nothing to disguise. "Brian? What's going on?"

 

"We don't have time to talk. I will tell you later..." Brian's nostrils flared, as he looked at Justin almost wildly. Now wasn't the time for delays. They needed to get moving. Right now the odds were in their favor; Stockwell didn't know they were on to him. Once he did, all hell would break loose. Justin needed to be safeguarded before that time.

 

"No!" Justin vehemently argued. "You will tell me now!"

 

Brian ran a hand through his hair, realizing he needed to choose the words that would have them on their way in the quickest amount of time. "Everything is starting to come together regarding your set-up regarding Chris Hobbs. We believe that the man responsible plans on hiding it all by killing you. I need to take you to a safe place - now."

 

"Kill me?" Justin swallowed tremulously. "And you say - we? Who is this ‘we'?"

 

"A friend of mine is a federal agent. He has uncovered a great deal of evidence. Some won't be easy for you to accept... but if you come away with me to safety, I will tell you everything. All that matters is that we leave here now." Brian knew that Calvin wouldn't approve of him disclosing everything until he had his plan firmly in place, but he had decided on the way here that he wouldn't go down that road again. Justin meant everything to him... and he wasn't going to manipulate him further. That had been a disaster the last time. "Please, Justin. Come with me. I'm afraid the Feds won't ask your permission."

 

Regardless of the danger he obviously faced, Justin smiled. Progress, at last. "I- I can't believe it..." Justin whispered. He should be quivering in fear of the unknown, and the threat that seemed to be rising against him, but what stuck in his mind the most was that Brian was being open, and asking for his cooperation. "You're actually asking me, and not forcing things. I don't know what to say about that. Quite honestly, I never expected it."

 

Brian rolled his eyes. "Forget the bag. We just need to go. I won't risk your life - not for anything!"

 

Justin firmly held his ground, a knowing glint in his eyes. "Admit it, Warden. You care about me."

 

Watching as Justin began to pocket his cell phone, Brian told him, "No! Leave the phone here. It's traceable. You can call your roommate from a safe line when we're gone."

 

Holding his ground, Justin stared patiently at Brian. "I'm not going anywhere until you admit it. I am more than prepared to wait here all day."

 

"Fine..." Brian grumbled. "I don't have time to haggle with you. Yes, I fucking care about you. Now, can we go?"

 

Justin wasn't oblivious to the fear and anxiety in Brian's eyes; that was the only thing that caused him to acquiesce and not push for something more. "Yes, we can go. However, I want to know everything... and I mean everything."

 

Brian grasped Justin's arm as he led him to the door. He kissed him soundly on the cheek, before he quickened his steps, thankful that Justin willingly kept up with him. "I'll tell you everything, Justin." When he felt Justin's arm quiver beneath his hand, he mistakenly thought it to be from fear. Turning to look at him, Brian's eyes searched Justin's deeply. "I'll never let anything happen to you, Justin. I promise you that. I will always keep you safe."

 

Feeling his heart thundering in his chest, Justin walked with Brian to his car, instantly believing Brian's words as the absolute truth. They had come so far, and yet, there was much left unsaid. One thing was for certain, though. Brian had given him a choice today, at least, as much as had been in his power. In that, they had gained much ground.

 

Despite the danger he now faced, another light was glowing brightly. Justin now had a greater hope regarding his future with Brian. Any danger he now faced was a small price to pay in exchange for that precious gift. Brian had genuine feelings for him. He meant something to him. In his mind, nothing could be sweeter than that.

 

TBC