- Text Size +

 

Ben approached the bar, a frown furrowing his brow. There wasn't a doubt that Brian was here. For one, he'd caught a glimpse of his car outside... and another, where else would Brian be on the weekend - most particularly in light of the turmoil he felt regarding Justin Taylor. Brian's blank and intimidating stares didn't affect him. He had been on the receiving end of many this past week. Granted, they alarmed him at times; especially in moments when he knew he was overstepping his boundaries... but sometimes he just had to put himself in the middle. He was quickly coming to realize one thing - being in the middle between Warden Kinney - friend or not - and Justin, wasn't a coveted position.

 

He nodded to the bartender, his eyes continuing to scan the bar. "A beer, please."

 

Ted was seated close by, his ears picking up at the tension in Ben's voice. He moved a couple of seats closer. "Everything okay, Ben?"

 

"Hey, Ted." Ben smiled at Ted, before pushing his money toward the bartender that had already returned with his beer. "Thanks, Rick." He looked around the bar again, his eyes settling once more on Ted. "I'm fine. It's just been a long week."

 

"I don't doubt it. Not only do you have to be at the prison, but you have that wonderful and patient man we both call boss to deal with..." Ted muttered derisively.

 

Ben laughed. "I take it, he's been fun tonight?"

 

"I haven't really talked to him... and I got the impression that was how he wanted it." Ted didn't add that Brian was in one of those moods. He didn't expect to see much of him tonight.

 

"Let me guess - he's in the backroom." Ben didn't even form it as a question. He didn't have a doubt as to Brian's location. That was the therapy of Brian's choice. It didn't matter that Justin was the one he really wanted; Brian would block that all out and find his release in another source... attempting to maintain to himself that one was as good as the other. Ben wasn't fooled for one minute. The kid had gotten to Brian. It was unthinkable really how much this soon-to-be vindicated man had affected the most aloof man he'd ever known. He doubted Brian even realized how much he was into Justin. It was his hope that it ended well for all of them, but right now the chances didn't look so good.

 

Ted snorted. "Now I see why you earn the big bucks for psychoanalysis."

 

"I see his mood has rubbed off on you too..." Ben looked at Ted shrewdly. "Anything you'd like to talk about?"

 

"Nah. I'm good. Blake has to work all weekend... and of course, I have it off."

 

Ben nodded. "The imperfections of life." He glanced to the dimly lit hallway that led to the backroom. "How long has he been back there?"

 

"I've lost track of the time. I'd say since he got here... well over an hour ago - if not more." Ted ordered another beer, his eyes ignoring all the other hot bodies present; in his reality only wanting to see one walk through the door, yet knowing that wouldn't be happening tonight.

 

"He should be out soon then. He'll be feeling the need to hunt for some fresh meat." Ben settled in at the bar, knowing he had no other choice than to wait. He wanted to talk to Brian. Yet... he wasn't certain he wanted to tell him what he had learned by chance tonight, but a part of him felt like he must. He remembered the last time he came here to talk about Justin. Brian had been less than receptive.

 

Ted looked at Ben with an astounded expression. "Dr. Bruckner, did you just refer to the hot men of our sex as fresh meat? Brian must be rubbing off on you. And I daresay, he'd be so proud."

 

"Hardly. I was just referring to them in Brian's terms." His eyes pulled to see Brian in the distance; leisurely weaving his way through the various bodies of men that clamored for his attention. Brian seemed to see none of them, his eyes focused on the bar. He inclined his head as Brian moved closer, quickly noting the look of irritation in Brian's eyes. Just as he'd suspected. Brian wasn't in the mood for talking tonight. Perhaps trying to approach him tonight hadn't been the best of ideas.

 

Brian leaned against the bar, looking back long enough to order a beer, his eyes centering on the men dancing under the hot, bright lights. Once his beer was placed on the bar, Brian turned to take a long drink, before greeting his two friends and employees in the most sarcastic manner possible. "Well well, if it isn't the good Dr. Bruckner wasting away another weekend pining for his lost lover." He looked toward Ted. "Then we have the loyal Theodore... nothing better to do on a Saturday night than hang around his place of business."

 

"For your information, Brian, I am in a relationship. Blake happens to be working this weekend." When Brian gave him that blank, uncaring stare, Ted stood to his feet and finished his drink in one long swallow. "Have fun with him, Ben. I don't have to take his shit on the weekend."

 

Ben nodded, watching him leave, wishing he could tell Ted that this was far less about Brian's disrespect of his life, and more of his own pain management... but that would raise far too many questions. He shook his head in disappointment at Brian. How he wished Brian would just accept his humanity like everyone else. If he wanted Justin in his life when this was over, that was something he would be forced to do. Getting Justin back wouldn't be easy... not now. In fact, Brian would be lucky if someone else didn't latch onto Justin first. Looking at the glower on Brian's face, he wished he could shake off the bad things he felt to come.

 

"No insightful rebuttals?" Brian didn't even look at Ben as he spoke, his tone harsh, his eyes scanning the room for something worthwhile to take home with him.

 

"I don't see the point. You are in denial and attack mode. Nobody can win against that. The best we can do is let you ride it out... and hope in the process you don't alienate everyone who cares about you." Ben looked at him kindly; despite his irritation, finding himself more worried about Brian than he wanted to admit.

 

Brian turned to give his friend a cold, mocking gaze. "Denial? I think you have me confused with one of your many fucked up patients."

 

"I don't think so, Brian. Until you can accept your feelings, even ones that are only beginning to develop, you can't effectively deal with them. Once you do that and you need to talk, I'll be there for you." Ben knew Brian would rebuff and probably scorn his offer. Brian wasn't ready for that yet. But he had to try.

 

A bitter laugh followed as Brian slowly emptied the bottle of beer he held in his hand. "I'll keep that in mind, Dr. Freud." He leaned in closer, his words a low whisper. "I wouldn't be sitting by the phone... if I were you."

 

"Don't worry, I won't." Ben finished his beer in silence, turning to face Brian after he'd placed the bottle on the bar. "I know it's the weekend... but could we talk? I have some information..."

 

Brian swore under his breath. "Listen, Ben, as you just said - it's the fucking weekend. I have other things to do tonight."

 

"Right. Such as fucking every available man in sight just so you can forget the one you are currently unable to fuck!" Ben spat his words out in a sudden burst of lost temper; quickly realizing he hadn't been discreet enough when silence suddenly enveloped them.

 

Nostrils flaring, Brian hissed, "You go too far, Dr. Bruckner. My office - NOW."

 

Ben grimaced as he followed behind Brian. He had engaged and thoroughly provoked the lion this time. Even though he had wanted a private talk with Brian; he wasn't so sure it wouldn't be starting off on the right foot. Grimly he realized he needed to stop taking work home with him. The release of Justin Taylor couldn't come soon enough for him. Until then, it would be like walking on eggshells around Brian, most especially at the prison. Thankfully, it wouldn't be long now.

 

Brian stared at Ben, open hostility in his eyes. He took a seat behind his desk, while he gestured for Ben to do the same. "I'm not sure why I'm offering you a seat. I doubt you will be here long."

 

"Firing me during off-duty hours without the benefit of a full explanation?" Ben returned almost mockingly.

 

"You are entirely too smug, Benjamin... and not irreplaceable." Brian's eyes continued to cut into him. "It seems you forget that - often."

 

"Is it smug knowing that you won't fire me without hearing me out first? For the most part, you are very professional, Brian." Ben cast a knowing look on his boss, aware that he could be crossing yet another line. "In fact, I've only known you to severely violate it once - indirectly the reason why I am here."

 

Brian pretended not to understand. He could see no reason why Ben shouldn't be as irritated as he was himself right now. "You are here because I broke prison rules?"

 

"No," he snapped impatiently. "You know that's not what I meant. Obviously, I don't approve of how you pursued Justin when you hold such a position of power over him. It's not good for his psyche. Since he is about to be released, I doubt it will have a permanent impact... but if he had stayed in the system long term - it could have, and you know that too." He sighed deeply, determined not to allow Brian to throw him off balance or topic this time. "I am here regarding Justin and his impending release."

 

"What more is there to say? It's the weekend. As far as I know, the court doesn't convene on Sunday... and I doubt as early as Monday with them awaiting official DNA results." Brian was becoming weary of this entire subject. A part of him wished Justin's day in court would be as soon as Monday. Having him out of his prison would be best for everyone concerned, Justin included. Yet, he also knew that Justin's release removed the power he held over him. He couldn't deny that a part of him would miss that.

 

Ben nodded his agreement. "You are correct. However, Chief Stockwell has some influential friends. A court slot will be opened the moment the paperwork arrives."

 

"Stockwell," Brian sneered. "This is more than laughable. The gay community is the scum of the earth to that man, and yet, he pushes so hard to have a gay man released so quickly."

 

"It is extraordinary. I am assuming he's trying to save face since his department made such a joke of the Taylor investigation. It gives the impression that he had been persecuting a member of the gay community. That may have been exactly what Stockwell had been doing at the time... but now that the evidence is present, he's a smart man to vindicate Justin so swiftly."

 

"Good point." Brian almost shuddered thinking of how this would look in the public eye. "The homophobic Chief Stockwell will be regaled as a hero, when he is anything but that. It's really quite sickening."

 

Ben couldn't agree more with that assessment. "It's a shame that Justin is his tool. However, back to my point. It will be soon, Brian. I had dinner with Debbie and Carl tonight. Stockwell is to have the DNA results on his desk Monday morning. Carl thought Justin could be in court as early as Wednesday. He didn't even rule out Tuesday. Stockwell wants a quick closure... and I don't have to tell you - mass media coverage."

 

"It will be a fucking circus," Brian hissed under his breath. He began to curse repeatedly. "Most likely the judge will want to question me in regard to his behavior in prison, even if it won't have any bearing on his conviction being overturned."

 

"Yes. I expect we'll both be called." Ben bit his lip uncertainly for a moment. "I hate to ask this... but I have to. You won't say anything that will jeopardize Justin's chances for a quick release?"

 

Incredulous fury blazed in Brian's eyes. "I'm not going to dignify that with a response. I am going to take into consideration that this entire situation has been distressing for all of us... and not fire you on the spot! Now, you have disrupted my evening long enough. Get the fuck out of my office!"

 

Ben stood to his feet. He had realized as soon as the words came from his mouth that he had gone too far. Whether it be true or not, and deep down he knew it wasn't, he was out of line to speak of it. He moved to the door with his head down uncertain of how he would make amends to Brian. Ben only knew that now wasn't that time. He opened the door, looking back to see Brian staring away from the door, clearly intending not to reveal the hurt in his eyes that Brian never wanted the world to see. "I'm sorry, Brian. I really am."

 

Brian didn't turn his head until he heard the door firmly close. Another reason why Justin Taylor needed to get out of his prison quickly. Ben had never questioned his professionalism, and if he were to be honest with himself - he deserved this. He had been nothing but inappropriate with Justin from day one. Everyone knew that. He couldn't help himself. There was just something about Justin that was irresistible to him. Brian knew that wouldn't change when Justin was free. In fact, Brian thought he might be even more determined to have him then. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he would have him - and on his terms.

 

As he thought back on his entire, although short-lived knowledge of the beautiful blond prisoner; Brian realized his behavior thus far had bordered on obsessiveness. He couldn't change that. Everything he did he did with passionate intensity. The pursuit of his pleasures even more so. However, Justin was different from most pursuits. That particular blond made him burn with the most undeniable cravings. Others he could walk away from and forget. He began to worry that wasn't possible with Justin. In fact, he was almost sure of it.

 

TBC