- Text Size +

 

"Have a seat," Brian growled, his hand gesturing to the chair across from his desk. "Has the barracuda gone?"

 

Brandon smirked. "Yes, Ms. Marcus is gone."

 

"And Taylor, he's back in his cell..." Brian demanded, both of them knowing he could discover this information by a glance at surveillance film.

 

"Yes, Sir. He's probably reading until his lights are out."

 

Brian's eyes drilled into the guard he had once trusted above all others. Suddenly he found that wasn't so much the case. Until now, he had performed his duties flawlessly... but now he was breaking one rule after another. Brian knew for the well-being and harmony of the prison, that had to stop here and now. "I'm sure you know why I called you in here."

 

Nodding, Brandon answered, "I realize I broke the rules by giving Taylor extra time in the yard... but under the circumstances, I didn't see the harm. I also thought it would be good for the kid's morale."

 

"Circumstances?" Brian's voice was ominously cold. If the little fucker had told Brandon about his release... he would kick his tight little ass.

 

"I know about his impending release, warden." As he watched the warden's already cold eyes turn even more lifeless, Brandon continued, "Justin didn't say anything to me... well, not until I told him I already knew. He actually seemed relieved that I knew. I think it helps him to have someone he can talk to."

 

A mocking smile curved Brian's lips. "Suddenly you have become so altruistic, Brandon. It's remarkable really." He arched his brow in a challenge, knowing he would see the depth of Brandon's regard for Justin with his next words. "It amazes me how professional ethics can be thrown to the wind at the mere sight of a blond boy ass."

 

"Are you speaking from experience, Sir?" Brandon couldn't still his tongue. He found Brian's words not only degrading to Justin... but to his every interaction with Justin as well. It wasn't like that. He couldn't deny that he would love to fuck Justin Taylor... but right now that wasn't what the boy needed. If he could see that... Why couldn't the warden?

 

"Would you like to rephrase that?" Brian snapped, quickly finding this meeting taking a very bad turn.

 

Brandon inwardly grimaced. He had gone too far, and they both knew it. He had failed the warden's little test, and now he would probably be punished for it. He couldn't even begin to imagine what that punishment might be... but he knew it wouldn't be pleasant. "I shouldn't have said that, warden. My apologies if I offended you." Brandon wasn't about to take back his accusation, they both knew the truth. Brian had been hot for Justin from the moment he arrived. The warden had broken many rules in his quest to scratch that particular itch with Justin. He wasn't sure how far Brian had gotten with Justin, but his instincts told him that Brian was far from finished with Justin Taylor - at least in his own mind. Justin, on the other hand, looked at that in an entirely different light.

 

"I don't get offended. My skin is far more resilient than that. However, I don't tolerate disrespect from my guards." Brian administered a pointed look toward Brandon. "I trust we won't be having this discussion again."

 

"Of course not, Sir." Brandon found himself able to agree to that for two reasons - one, he didn't have much choice with the warden in his ‘dictatorial' mode, and two, Justin would be gone soon - making it much less of an issue.

 

"Now, how about you tell me how you came into the knowledge of Justin's release? I don't need to tell you how detrimental news of that would be to the tranquility of the prison, and to Justin as well." More and more, Brian stood by his decision to place Justin in solitary confinement. This had been his greatest fear come to life. As much as he didn't think Brandon would blab this news about the prison, one concern still abounded - if he knew, who else did as well?

 

Brandon sighed; somehow he had known his eavesdropping would come to light. He had realized at the time this could come back to haunt him. It had been his hope it wouldn't be this soon. "It was only this morning when I was leaving your office. I was barely out the door when you took a phone call. I only heard your side of the conversation - parts of it actually, but it was very clear. You weren't really speaking in a very calm or quiet voice. The tone of your voice alarmed me enough to begin listening."

 

"I see," Brian answered coldly. "The tone of my voice made it permissible for you to stand outside of my office door and listen to my private conversation!? I'm not going to get into your questionable ethics in that." Brian wearily ran a hand through his hair. He needed to get the fuck out of here. Babylon would definitely be on his list of ‘things to do' tonight. A fresh and clear perspective was what he needed. He acquired that best after a fuck or getting his dick sucked. Brian knew he needed that tonight... most likely both, and more than once. "Who else knows about this?"

 

"I haven't told anyone, warden. I wouldn't do that." Brandon lifted his head and stared at the skeptical warden with an unflinching gaze of his own. He wasn't afraid of him, and it was time he made that more than known. Brandon knew that the warden held a degree of power over him, but he also knew Brian to be a practical and reasonable man. He wouldn't fire him merely based on his interest in Justin. The warden needed him... and he wasn't afraid to remind him of exactly that. "I take my responsibilities very seriously, Sir."

 

His eyes met and held Brandon's for several moments. It was almost as if battle lines had been drawn; an invisible line that no man intended to back down from. Brian knew he wasn't going to accomplish anything with this meeting. "Yes, I see that. Especially regarding Justin Taylor."

 

Brandon wasn't about to deny it. He knew he'd be a fool to try. The warden wouldn't fall for it, and he saw no reason to deny it. He liked Justin... in fact, he liked him a lot. It wasn't his intention to cross the line while Justin was still in the prison, much unlike the actions of his sanctimonious boss... but once Justin was released, then everything could change. He would leave that up to Justin to decide. "I won't deny that. Justin is different."

 

"Get back to work. I think we understand each other much better now." Brian realized nothing had been done about Brandon's breaking of prison rules once again, but he wasn't going to push that. What Brandon had done had been in Justin's best interest. Despite how repellent he might find Brandon's interest in Justin, Brian knew that Justin was struggling in that small cell. He was glad that Justin had been given a reprieve from it. Yes, he thought they understood each other very well. They both wanted Justin... and he was determined to be the winner of that war. Brian knew in time Justin would understand why he had made the decisions he had; once he accomplished that, Justin would be back in his arms - exactly where he belonged.

 

Standing to his feet, Brandon nodded, knowing the less he said now the better. "Yes, Sir. Have a good evening."

 

Brian's eyes narrowed on Brandon as he watched him move to the door. A cunning smile twisted his lips. He didn't have a lot of time to use his power within the prison to make things work his way regarding Justin, but he did still control a few things. Brandon's work schedule came to mind. His decision would go a long way in agitating Brandon... and that was something he very much wanted to do right now. "By the way, Brandon. Tomorrow night is your last night shift. As of Wednesday morning, you are back on your normal shift."

 

Brandon's back tensed as his hand closed over the door handle. Manipulative sonofabitch. He wasn't deluded for a single minute. The warden was making this decision so he couldn't appear at Justin's hearing on Wednesday morning. Fucking asshole. He had intended to be there, solely to act as a moral support... but the warden's control-freak tendencies wouldn't allow for that. As he turned to look at the smug look on Brian's face, Brandon gave him a mocking one of his own. Oh yes, the battle lines were truly drawn now. Where he might have previously backed down, the condescending manner the warden now presented changed his mind. "Very well, Sir."

 

Brian wasn't nearly finished tormenting Brandon yet. "If you think of calling in sick for your shift on Wednesday, your consequences will be extremely dire." He moved his eyes away from Brandon's glowering expression; Brian continued loading his briefcase, his satisfaction increasing as he felt the angry glare silently attacking him. "Don't worry, though. I'm going to be in court on Wednesday. In fact, I probably won't come into the prison at all that day. I will make certain Mr. Taylor is well looked after - before, during, and most especially after his hearing."

 

This could be his job, and at the moment he didn't give a damn. Brian was abusing his power, and on all counts, being a fucking asshole. "Don't worry, warden... I will adhere to both my limitations and responsibilities. I don't intend to take advantage of my own position." Brandon watched as Brian's expression turned from smug to borderline irate. "And regarding after the hearing... I do believe that will be for Justin to decide. You will no longer have any authority over him."

 

"Get the fuck out of my office." Brian forced an impassive look upon his face; the last thing he wanted was to show Brandon he was affected at all adversely in this battle - one that he always excelled in winning. "Also, I'll be staying later tomorrow evening. I want to make sure everything is running smoothly on Justin's last night. You can be very certain I will be watching not only you... but Justin very closely."

 

Brandon was determined to have the last word; Brian's attitude was pissing him off beyond belief. "Very well, Sir." Before he stepped out, he gave the warden a tight smile, ice clearly defined in his eyes. "I'll be sure to inform Justin as well. I'm sure he'll be so thrilled to know of your comforting presence."

 

TBC