- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Banner: Thank you to Christie aka clride531 for the amazing banner!!

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Queer as Folk. This is done purely for entertainment. No infringement intended.

 

 

"God, I love the summer." Daphne scrunched up her nose as she looked back and forth between her friends, Justin in particular, her legs hanging over the small dock in the center of the sun-kissed water. "Only bad thing is us going to college when it's over. We won't be together anymore."

 

Michael snorted, elbowing her gently in the side. "We're growing up now. It's a fact of life."

 

"Don't forget we're not all going to college, Daph. Mom is barely paying the bills; I can't put tuition on her head too." Justin stared bleakly ahead, completely oblivious of the speedboat nearing them, his mind caught up in his life - or lack of one he had to anticipate.

 

"That's ridiculous, Justin." Ethan's voice was petulant; a part of him was jealous of Justin's prospects. Certainly not financially, but with his brains and looks - Justin would go far. "Your SAT scores assure you of acceptance into any school. What about the grants you applied for? They should more than cover you."

 

Daphne stared at Justin with an assessing look in her eyes. Out of all of them, she knew him better than anyone. "It would cover almost everything. I don't think that's the problem. Is it, Justin?"

 

Justin shrugged, his hand swatting at the bee that insistently buzzed next to his ear, his eyes meeting Daphne's for a short moment. "I need to get a job. Mom needs the help. This isn't the right time for me to go to art school."

 

"Not the right time? I don't believe you, Justin!" Michael's eyes flared in angry astonishment. "You are fucking talented! You can't give up your dream to take care of your mom. And she wouldn't even want that."

 

"As much as I hate to agree with Mikey..." Ethan grinned sheepishly. "He is right. That is too much of a sacrifice."

 

"She's sacrificed everything for years - keeping me and Molly fed, clothed, and with a roof over our heads. It hasn't been easy for her since my dad ran out on us. Now, I can give something back..." Justin's lips were pressed into a grim line, those that knew him, understood his mind was made up. He was about to demand the end of this depressing subject, when the cruising boat that he had all but ignored came closer to them, water suddenly splattering all over them, and even onto the small wooden dock. "What the fuck! Watch where you're going!" He exploded, his eyes narrowing angrily when he saw who had disturbed them.

 

Chris turned off the boat engine, his eyes glittering savagely at the boy that constantly incensed him. "Brave talk for a little faggot." He looked at his friends that clapped him encouragingly on the back, his lips twisting contemptuously, when he added, "Let's see you back that up, Taylor!"

 

Justin stared down at the malevolent boy, never understanding why Chris always singled him out. Michael and Ethan were both firmly out of the closet, as was he, but he never saw him pick on either of them. It made no sense to him. Strength-wise, he was the stronger of the three of them. That being so - why did he continue to push things with him? "Any time you say, Chris. As long as it's just me and you."

 

"You're fucking sick, Taylor!" Chris' best friend, accused. "I told you he just wanted your dick, Chris. Let's get the fuck out of here!"

 

Michael chortled from behind him. Ethan looked aghast, while Daphne remained the sensible one and looked on in concern. Justin refused to back down; although it was his preference to handle this fight on a more fair playing field. "Yeah, better run, Chris. One touch from me, and you might turn queer." Justin's eyes slid over Chris in his most assessing manner. "That is - unless you already are..."

 

Ethan raised his nose high in the air. "Justin doesn't have to prove anything to you, Hobbs. You are beneath him..."

 

"Shut your mouth, faggot. Everyone knows you want his dick up your ass. Hell, it probably already has been." His eyes flickered in disinterest over Ethan Gold, his contempt focused on Justin Taylor. "Name a place, Taylor. I'll be there - alone."

 

"Don't do it, Jus." Daphne pleaded. "It's a trap. You know he won't play fair with you."

 

Chris leered at Daphne from his boat, his eyebrow shooting up, when he offered, "How about you come with us, Daphne? We can show you a real good time... one that you won't find with these queers."

 

"Go to hell!" she hissed. "I wouldn't go anywhere with any of you!"

 

Shrugging in complete indifference, Chris returned, "Fine with me. Your pussy is probably tainted from being around these freaks."

 

Justin's eyes flared angrily. He wasn't violent - ever, but Chris was pushing his every button. This had to end. He knew he was probably just walking into Chris' well-laid trap, but he couldn't allow him to keep insulting his friends to this degree. "Tonight, at the beach. Nine o'clock. We'll end this."

 

Chris started up his boat, a cruel, and smug smile on his face. "Yeah, you're right about that, Taylor. We will end this - tonight."

 

All eyes watched as Chris' boat moved away, each of them filled with trepidation and the unrelenting fear that life was about to irrevocably change. However, at this moment, none of them could know just how much.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: And there's our beginning. No, you haven't entered the Twilight Zone. I really am writing a same-age story for Justin and Michael. And they are really good friends.