- Text Size +

 

Debbie placed two plates holding burgers and fries in front of the two boys that both displayed looks of total despair. "Listen... I know you're both worried about Justin; I am too. But you still need to eat."

 

Ethan looked at the food, the rumbling in his stomach provoking him to pop a couple of fries into his mouth. "What about Justin? Who knows if he's eating... or even safe..."

 

"Don't even think like that!" Debbie reprimanded. "Sunshine is a fighter. He's gonna get through this!"

 

Michael cast a soulful look in his mother's direction. "You can't know that, Ma. The odds are stacked against him."

 

"All I know is that Justin is innocent of these charges. Carl will get the truth out of that cowardly SOB! You can count on that!" Debbie was filled with righteous indignation. She didn't know what had happened between Justin and Chris... but she did know one thing; Justin was both gentle and loving. He would never have attacked Chris in such a manner - no matter what the provocation. She eyed the two boys compassionately, yet her standard look of severity in her eyes. "Eat your lunch. The two of you can agonize afterward."

 

"Thanks, Ma." Michael took a bite of his burger, knowing there would be no arguing with her... at least, there would be no winning an argument with her. "Eat up, Ethan. She won't leave us alone until we do."

 

Ethan smiled at the two of them, shaking his head in bemusement. He followed suit and took a bite of his own sandwich, thoughtful as he did so. "You are so lucky, Michael. Your mom not only loves you... but supports your choices too. Not many of us get that."

 

"Yeah, I guess that's true." Michael finished his sandwich in silence, his thoughts continuing to be with Justin... worry creasing his brow as he wondered how Justin had spent the night - and what he might be facing now. He turned to face Ethan, concern etched on both of their faces. "I- I hope he's okay."

 

"I know I'm a pessimist much of the time. That's just me, but not really in regard to Justin." He smiled as he thought of his dear friend. "Justin is different. He's got a strength that I don't understand, but I do know this - he will find his way."

 

"God, I hope so..." Michael whispered, his eyes connecting with Ethan's, almost as if trying to reassure himself that Ethan meant what he was saying. After several moments, with Ethan uncertainly clearing his throat, Michael realized he might have stared just a bit too long. He chuckled nervously, deciding the time had never been better to ask a question - one he had no way of knowing the answer. "Uhhh, Ethan... I was wondering if you wanted to hang out later? I'm due at the Q soon... but tonight I have free."

 

Debbie smiled at the other end of the counter. In all honesty, she hadn't heard a word from the customer that had just taken a seat. Her entire attention had been diverted by Michael's awkward attempt at asking Ethan out. It was about damned time, she thought. She had always worried about him carrying a torch for Justin. As much as she loved Justin, she had always known he wasn't right for Michael. However, Ethan was a different matter. They were both sensitive in their own way. In her opinion, they were the perfect fit. If anything good came from Justin's absence... maybe this was it. While the three of them ran around together, Michael wouldn't have had the nerve to ask Ethan out. She placed the coffee pot on the counter as she looked in Ethan's direction for his response.

 

"You mean the two of us... and Daphne?" Ethan asked, his eyes as wide as saucers. Michael couldn't be asking what his heart had long been hoping for. It wasn't possible. And he didn't deserve it. Ever since he'd developed what he viewed as a one-sided crush, his manner with Michael had been curt; in fact, it had been cruel at times. Justin had often asked about it, but he evaded the subject.

 

Staring at the two boys with a mother's watchful eye, Debbie silently spoke to herself, "Come on, Sweetheart. Give the boy the answer he needs."

 

"Actually... no." Bravely, Michael continued on, "I was hoping just the two of us. Unless, you don't want to do that."

 

"No! I- I mean, yes!" Ethan chuckled nervously, unable to believe what he was hearing, or of his own uncommon less than articulate response. "What I meant to say was - I would like that very much, Michael."

 

At that, Debbie couldn't keep her distance any longer. A proud, and excited smile curved her mouth until she burst out into laughter. "It's about fucking time. The two of you constantly bickering was about to drive me out of my mind."

 

"Ma!" Michael groaned, his face instantly becoming reddened. "Can I handle my own personal life?"

 

Debbie looked back and forth between them, unable to miss the excitement in both of their eyes. Despite their anxiety over Justin, this might turn out to be a good day after all. "Yeah, Sweetie. Finally... and I mean FINALLY, it looks like you can."

 

Ethan flushed, despite the years of exposure to Debbie Novotny's often brash outspokenness, he still wasn't used to it. "Uhhh, I need to go. I'll catch up with you later." His face was still red when he said goodbye to Debbie. "See you later, Debbie. And thanks for lunch."

 

"My pleasure, Darling." Debbie watched as Ethan rushed from the diner, her eyes warm on her son, before she enveloped him in a fierce hug. "I'm so happy for you, Baby."

 

Michael sighed. It was on the tip of his tongue to tell her to give it a rest as he always did when he felt she pushed too much, but he wasn't going to this time. For once, he found himself in complete agreement. He was happy for him too.

 


 

Justin sighed as he looked out the window, restless and just wanting to do something. Even stepping out onto the porch was tempting, although he knew Brian wouldn't view it the same. Daytime wasn't safe for him. His picture plastered across the morning paper more than attested to that. Justin knew that his impatience really wasn't about being trapped in this house. On all counts, it was the nicest place he had ever been. Of course, with his life, that wasn't saying a lot. Regardless of that fact, though, Brian had a beautiful beachfront home. Being here wasn't any sort of punishment.

 

Looking over his shoulder, he grimaced at the time showing on the wall clock. That was the true source of his impatience. He wanted it to be nighttime; specifically, he wanted it to be ten o'clock. He wasn't sure what had gotten into him - pushing Brian as he had. It really wasn't like him to be so blatant... at least not in regard to sex. This would be his first time. And he couldn't wait to experience each moment of it. Previously, he hadn't felt rushed to fully explore his sexuality. He had figured it would happen with the right man, and hopefully - at the right time. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that man was Brian.

 

"I must say... I will miss you in that robe," Brian purred, sinuously sliding up behind him, and sliding his arms around his waist. "Although, I might focus on other matters better once Emmett returns with proper clothing for you."

 

Justin laughed... it was nervous and filled with excitement. "It will be nice to get dressed again. Even though the softness of your robe isn't so bad, either. The fact that it's yours, makes me enjoy it all the more."

 

Brian groaned. The boy had such a way with words... especially being one so young. He had him in a state of constant awareness... his dick always primed and ready to seek out its tempting target. Unless Justin changed his mind - which he fervently hoped he did not - he would be exploring that sweet body tonight. It was a discovery he wanted more than any other - ever. At the moment, it was more of a question of lasting that long. Brian placed his chin on Justin's shoulder, his eyes staring out the window with the suddenly trembling younger man. Very good, he thought to himself. The boy was just as aware of him as he was of him. Tonight, they would each be scorched by the flames; he couldn't wait for the day to pass, and the long night to start.

 

His legs trembled as he felt Brian's hands rubbing circles on his stomach through the robe. More than anything, he wanted to loosen the tie and let it fall to the floor. He didn't think he could wait until tonight. In what was a barely audible whimper, Justin pleaded, "Brian, why do we have to wait? I want you so much."

 

"The wait only builds the hunger." Brian opened his mouth over Justin's neck, his lips sucking and biting the tender, succulent skin. "I want you out of your mind for me. This will be a night to remember. I don't want it to be either rushed or interrupted." Brian's tongue slid down Justin's neck, his mind telling him to back off now... yet, his body wanting something completely different. "I can't wait to be inside you..."

 

Justin's cock quickened at the need in Brian's voice. "I- I can't stand it. I want you right now."

 

In the next moment, Brian heard the front door opening and closing. His tongue took one last swipe along Justin's skin, before he pulled back completely. "It seems that Emmett is back... and not a moment too soon." Brian knew he couldn't have held off much longer. Approaching Justin now had been a temptation he couldn't resist. As agonizing his actions would make the rest of the day, he also knew the anticipation would be heightened.

 

His eyes remained on Justin as he moved further away, mindful that he needed that separation. If not, his hands would be full of the hot little blond boy - here and now. "Get some rest, Justin." For the first time, he allowed Justin to see the full extent of his lust, as his eyes slid hungrily over him... his breathing suddenly labored, and his eyes smoldering. "It's going to be a long night..." he rasped, his voice thickened as desire clawed at him.

 

Justin's breath caught in his throat. The only response he made was a slight nod. He couldn't speak... in fact, he could barely breathe. Never had he expected such a raw display of yearning on Brian's face. This beautiful man truly wanted him that intensely. It was his intention that Brian never regretted his choice. A long night indeed, Justin mused to himself. Yeah. He wouldn't have it any other way.

 


 

Carl stared curiously at Chris Hobbs, Sr. - in his mind feeling something to be off. The elder Hobbs certainly wasn't helping that impression with his strange behavior; however, he vowed he would have his answers. They were standing just outside of the ICU, moments away from being admitted inside. It had been about twenty minutes since they were informed that Chris was waking up. As soon as the doctor finished checking him over, they were going to be allowed inside for a brief visit. Carl hoped some answers would be forthcoming at that time.

 

"What are you staring at?" Chris demanded, uncomfortable at how this cop continued to eye him with what seemed like suspicion... outrage swelling in him at his audacity.

 

"I guess it's just the cop in me, Mr. Hobbs. I study behavior... and yours today has me baffled." Carl knew he was walking a fine line here. Chris Hobbs was Chief Stockwell's best friend and an upstanding member of the community. He wasn't sure why - but he didn't trust him. His actions today only solidified that. "I just don't get why you left the hospital earlier... with your son still unresponsive at that time. What could have been more important than his condition?"

 

Chris' eyes narrowed in anger. "Who the hell do you think you are? I am not the criminal here!"

 

Carl was about to respond, when the ICU door swung open, and Chris' nurse stepped through the opening to greet them. "Can we see him now?"

 

"Yes, detective. The doctor said five minutes - no more. If he shows signs of distress... the visit will end." The nurse motioned them forward, her expression as stern as her voice indicated. "He's awake for now, but heavily medicated."

 

Chris' face paled as he followed behind the nurse and the aggravating detective. "Has he said anything?"

 

Shaking her head, the nurse answered, "Not a word."

 

The two men stepped inside the room. Carl took the lead, with Chris' father directly behind him. Carl watched as the boy turned his head to look at him, uncertain if recognition was made. He noticed the boy looking past him, at his father, and the young man's eyes widened as he made the connection. "Hello, Chris..." Carl spoke kindly. "I'd like to ask you a few questions about your attack..."

 

His eyes continued to bypass Carl to stab angrily into his father's. Weakly, Chris croaked, "G-get out..."

 

TBC