- Text Size +

 

Debbie sat across from Carl in the small booth, her eyes sharpened in concern. "Carl? Honey? Why the long face?"

 

"I'm just dead tired, babe. The chief is on me about results... and I'm not coming up with any answers." Carl snorted derisively to himself. "At least, not ones I can prove."

 

"I'm sure that asshole Hobbs has something to do with that..." Debbie hissed venomously.

 

Carl shrugged uncertainly, although aware that could be part of Stockwell's approach. "It's possible, but at this point, I think he just wants Justin found, and this case wrapped up."

 

"Justin has been gone longer than I thought he could ever hide." Debbie frowned thoughtfully. "What's it been now? A week?"

 

Nodding, Carl answered, "Today is the eighth day. I never thought he could do it, either. He just didn't have the means to pull that off."

 

Debbie smiled. "Sunshine is a smart boy. I'm sure he's found some sort of help, but he's resourceful as well."

 

"Well... going into hiding as he has, makes him appear more guilty. As it is, enough evidence supports that claim."

 

"Carl! You know as well as I do that Justin didn't do this. This so-called evidence is purely circumstantial... and all from the mouth of a homophobic prick." Debbie pursed her lips, as her eyes shot daggers at the man she cared deeply about - one that she couldn't imagine believed Justin to be guilty, whether that opinion was politically correct, or not.

 

Carl sighed, before taking a long swallow of coffee, wishing more than anything he could tell her what she wanted to hear, but intent on following this through by the book, knowing that was the best way he could help Justin survive this ordeal. "What I think doesn't matter. I have to operate with the facts that are given to me. As of now, Justin Taylor is our number one suspect. Of course, between the two of us - I hope that changes soon."

 

"I'm sure it will." When the bell jingled above the door, Debbie turned to look, a satisfied look on her face when she watched Michael walking in with Ethan, both boys attentive on the other. "Ahh. It's moments like these that make me realize everything always works out. I knew they belonged together... and now, it's all coming together for them."

 

Looking up, Carl nodded in understanding. "Indeed it is. Although, do your son a favor and don't rub his nose in it. I doubt he's ready for any form of 'I told you so', no matter how lovingly conveyed."

 

Debbie stood from the booth, her sights on greeting her son. "Hmph..." she snorted. "As if I would ever do that!"

 

Shaking his head, Carl watched as Debbie moved towards Michael and Ethan, instantly wondering how long it would take for her to say something that offended Michael's sensibilities. In his experience, it never took long with this outspoken redhead. Despite her brashness, and tendency of interfering, he loved her to pieces. He wouldn't change her for anything in the world.

 


 

Justin stretched in his bed, a smile of contentment on his face. Opening his eyes, he looked around the room, suddenly realizing it wasn't his room at all. The past few days had gone by so quickly. They had been the happiest of his life. It was as if a beast had been unleashed in Brian. The older, and utterly beautiful brunet had been at him - morning, noon, and night. When he hadn't been, it had just been due to eating, getting cleaned up... and then, the subsequent rounds commencing. He wasn't complaining at all.

 

"Brian?" he called out, as he slid from the bed, slipping into some shorts and a clean t-shirt. He knocked on the bathroom door, slightly surprised to find it empty. Brian hadn't left his side for the past few days. He wondered where he could have gone all of a sudden. Brushing his hair, and then his teeth, Justin exited the bathroom, and moved toward the stairs... one goal in mind. Finding Brian. He almost felt pathetic. They had known each other for such a short time, and already, Brian dominated his every thought. He should be focused on the nightmare that had caused his flight, and he had been... at least until he had met Brian Kinney. From that moment on, everything else had ceased to exist. Perhaps now that he had indulged in his passion for Brian, he could regain his focus. No matter how idyllic life seemed to be for him at Brian's isolated beach house, one truth remained - he was wanted by the law, and they wouldn't stop until they captured him.

 

Making his way downstairs, he stepped into the kitchen, a smile on his face as he watched Emmett bustling about. "Good morning, Emmett."

 

Clearly not hearing Justin's entrance, Emmett shrieked, and barely managed to maintain his grasp on the dishes he was putting in the cupboard. Turning around, he placed his hand on his chest, his breathing becoming accelerated. "I didn't hear you come in. You scared the hell out of me!"

 

Frowning, finding his reaction to be a bit extreme, Justin murmured, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that." Biting at his lip uncertainly, Justin found himself asking, "Can I help you with anything?"

 

Emmett regained his breath, cackling in delight. "Certainly not. After all, you are a guest. I'm just cleaning up a bit while the house is quiet. I find the morning is best for getting things done."

 

Quiet as in Brian wasn't home? Now, that would be odd. He hadn't left since his arrival. "Uhhh, where's Brian?"

 

"Ohhh... he had to go out. In fact, he took the car, so I know it has to be some distance away. Locally, he always walks everywhere."

 

"I see." Justin sighed, hating how much he missed him already, yet knowing the distance could be a good thing. He really needed to get his head together and figure out how to clear his name. "Any idea when he'll be home?"

 

Shaking his head, Emmett turned back to his work, an amused expression on his face. Someone had it bad, and the best part was in knowing Brian as he did, he knew the feeling was fully reciprocated. "Not for sure... however, he did say he'd be back in time for dinner, and to make sure you stay inside the house."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "I'm not a baby. I realize I can't go running around outside in the daytime - whether I'd like to or not."

 

"I don't think Brian sees you as a baby." Tilting his head to the side, he considered Justin closely. "Although, in age and experience you are that. That's not the point, though. I've known Brian for a long time, Justin. Whatever he's doing today has something to do with your problems. I'd swear to it. That being said, Brian cares about you - a lot. With him in your corner, this will be over before you know it."

 

"I hope so," Justin whispered, his eyes lifting to meet Emmett's concerned, yet warm gaze. "You care about him a lot yourself. I may be young, but that's clear to see."

 

Drying his hands on the dish towel hanging nearby, Emmett turned and leaned his back against the cupboards. "I can't deny that; I wouldn't even want to. We've been through a lot over the years. Brian isn't this emotionless asshole he attempts to project to the world." Smirking knowingly, Emmett continued, "I think you've already realized that for yourself."

 

Blushing, all Justin could do was nod in his complete agreement. "Uhhh, I think I'll get a shower, and use the laptop Brian let me borrow. I'll talk to you later."

 

"Okay, baby." Emmett grinned, not a doubt in his mind he had embarrassed the innocent young man. In afterthought, he called out, "Can I fix you something to eat?"

 

"No. I'll be back down later. I'm not really hungry right now." Justin frowned as he thought about that. His not being hungry wasn't normal at all. He decided it was the stress that followed him, and not for any other reason. He worried about what Brian could be doing on his behalf, and without a doubt, he worried about being found. All in all, he figured he had much to stress out about. A loss of appetite was the least of his worries.

 


 

Brian strode down the brightly lit hallway, his steps never faltering as voices called out for him to stop. He wasn't about to stop until he reached his destination. It amazed him that he had progressed this far; however, he had always been very persuasive with those of sub-standard intellect. It was sad to find that to be the case in this sort of establishment. He decided that Justin was much better off being gone from this unsavory town.

 

"Sir!" the voice screeched from behind him. "You can't go in there. Only authorized visitors and personnel are permitted!"

 

Brian didn't pause to respond. He could hear the footsteps rushing from behind. A few more steps would have him inside. Once that happened, the pursuit would end. The man on the other side of the door would be afraid to threaten him... and that was exactly what he wanted. Pushing the door open, uncaring if the chief was alone or not, Brian smiled maliciously at Jim Stockwell's look of outraged fury... even more satisfied as the color drained completely from his face in recognition.

 

"Kinney! What's the meaning of this? I could have you arrested!!" Stockwell spat out, instantly coming to his feet, his eyes bulging wildly, flecks of anger glittering in them as he glared at his incompetent staff. "How did he get past security, Patrice?"

 

"We tried to stop him, Chief Stockwell. I'm not sure how he got past security to get this far, but I'll have him removed immediately..." she assured, turning to call out to the approaching officers.

 

Brian snickered as he watched the events unfolding. "I don't think you want that, Jim." In total boredom, he flicked an imaginary speck of dirt from his sleeve. "In fact, I'm sure your baby brother wouldn't want that to happen..."

 

Grasping the edge of his desk, forcing himself not to lunge across it and pound the smugness from the offensive Brian Kinney's expression, he looked to his secretary, knowing he had no choice but to comply with Kinney's demands. "It's fine, Patrice. I know this man. He isn't dangerous."

 

Eyeing the brash newcomer warily, Patrice answered, "If you say so, Sir. Call me if you need anything."

 

Brian rolled his eyes as he watched her making her retreat, finding himself even more pleased with himself at having found the time to research Justin's roots a bit more closely. Initially, he hadn't made the connection; however, once the lust that had been dulling his brain finally allowed him to function again, he had immediately realized that Justin was from Stockwell's town. That in itself had raised all sorts of alarms in him... and a recollection of the past. There was no way in hell he would allow Stockwell to persecute Justin on the grounds of his sexual orientation. That message would be firmly established - here and now.

 

"What the fuck do you want, Kinney?" Stockwell barked, instinctively knowing nothing good would come from this meeting - at least, not for him.

 

"Alone at last..." Brian drawled mockingly. Moving to close the door behind the secretary that had quite purposely left it open, Brian twisted the knife a bit deeper. "Tell me, Jim... how is your dear, baby brother these days? I haven't seen him since the night you walked in on me plowing his tight little virgin ass..."

 

TBC