- Text Size +

 

Jim Stockwell felt his hand quivering as the rage consumed him. How he hated this man. Why had he shown up now? Brian Kinney was a memory he had long ago propelled to the back of his mind. Gone, but not quite forgotten. He was a grim reminder that he couldn't always be the one in control. What he had once viewed as the perfect life and family had been sullied by his brother's depraved relationship with Kinney. He had forced an end to that alliance; however, in the end, he hated them both. Something else that he blamed on Brian Kinney. For now, though, he just wanted him gone. "You disgust me, Kinney. If you are here to rehash the past - I will throw you out on your ass!"

 

Brian crossed his arms in front of him, his pose the definition of boredom. He wasn't the least bit intimidated, what was even better - the corrupt Chief Stockwell knew that. There was no way he intended for Stockwell's bigotry to factor into Justin's case. Despite the evidence they had - all of which he concluded to be highly circumstantial and false - he would gain Stockwell's cooperation. He wouldn't be leaving here until he was assured of that. "Jimmy, I'm surprised by your rudeness." Brian's voice dripped with sarcasm. "It's been years. Isn't it time to put the past where it belongs?"

 

Forcing himself to maintain a safe distance from this man he abhorred, Stockwell continued to glare at Brian, keeping his breath even and regulated the most challenging part of all. "That's easy for you to say! My family was destroyed when you seduced my younger brother into your revolting lifestyle. Now, I have no brother - all thanks to you. Put it in the past. Right. I don't see that happening."

 

Lowering his frame into the seat across from the chief's desk, Brian shrugged in blatant disinterest at Stockwell's bitter retort, in his mind, thinking this meeting was going exactly as he'd expected. "Poor disillusioned Jimmy. It must have been painful watching me sticking it to your little brother. Let me assure you of one thing, though. Not much seducing was involved; he was the same as others before him." Brian paused for effect, knowing it would only further enrage Stockwell. He was fine with that. Keeping him off balance was to his advantage. "I saw him; I wanted him. Therefore, I took him."

 

"You disgust me!" Stockwell hissed. "You ruined my brother's life. I had him in therapy for months... trying to cure him."

 

"Cure him?" Brian sneered. "It's not a fucking illness. Of course, homophobic pricks like you never understand. It's a way of life."

 

"So you say..." he growled, rage toward this man that he held personally responsible, continuing to boil to the surface. "It no longer matters. All that does is that my brother is far gone from here... and away from your poison."

 

Brian smiled condescendingly, at this moment, ready to move beyond this subject. "Well then, it's a good thing I taught him a few things." At Jim Stockwell's gasp of indignation, Brian moved ahead to the real purpose of his visit. "I didn't come here to reminisce about the past with you. I am much more interested in current events."

 

Staring back at Kinney in suspicion, Jim found himself asking, "Exactly what does that mean?"

 

Nonchalantly, Brian answered, "I've been following your local news. I must confess that I find this case against the runaway teen more than a little disturbing." His bland tone transformed into one filled with ice. "Especially in this close-minded town..."

 

"I'm not at liberty to discuss any current cases with you, Kinney." His eyes narrowed sharply on the man that he sensed was highly interested in a case that should have nothing to do with him. "What's your interest in the Taylor kid? I'll remind you that a warrant is out for his arrest. If you know anything - you are obligated to turn that information into the authorities."

 

Affixing a blank expression on his face, knowing his blasé attitude provoked Stockwell more than anything else, he continued on, hopeful that the irrational chief would reveal far more than he intended. "My interests are extremely broad; you should know that, Jim. And regarding your laws, I couldn't give a fuck about them. Perhaps I would respect them more, if not maintained by such corrupt individuals."

 

"My department is NOT corrupt! Get the fuck out of my office, Kinney. You don't belong here!" Feeling the veins popping in the side of his head, he knew he needed to end this pointless meeting soon. Kinney provoked him with too much ease. He needed to compose himself before he said or did too much.

 

Brian smiled benignly. "Okay, I'll amend that statement. Perhaps your department - as a whole - isn't corrupt. However, that ends once the top of the ranks is reached." In an instant, the playful and provoking banter came to an end, Brian became all about making his point. "I'll make myself clear, chief..." he ominously sneered. "Play fair with this kid, or I will reveal everything I know about the dirty little family secret you wish to conceal."

 

Abruptly standing to his feet, Stockwell moved around his desk, his rage now boiling to the surface. "Are you threatening me, Kinney? ME!? I strongly suggest you back down now!"

 

A mocking laugh followed. As much as he would love to brawl with the unscrupulous Chief of Police, he also knew that wasn't the tactic that best served Justin. And helping that hot, and utterly special little blond was all that mattered to him. Standing to his feet, he moved into Stockwell's personal space, eyeballing him coldly, unwilling to relent regardless of the consequences. "I don't back down, Stockwell. You should know that! I have said all I need to say about this matter - the rest is up to you."

 

Ignoring the sudden tapping at his door, Stockwell demanded, "What is your connection to Justin Taylor? Are you harboring him?"

 

"None of your fucking business." His eyes narrowed into tiny, barely visible slits. "Do right by this kid, or everything you want to keep hidden will become public knowledge. Now, as I don't give a fuck about my reputation, I think you know I speak the truth."

 

The knock came again, this time louder. Fuck! Where was Patrice? "Just a damned minute!" He moved to the door, his hand pulling at it harshly, then turned his back to it, as he yelled at Brian. "If the kid is guilty, I will be coming at him with everything I've got. Now... get the fuck out!"

 

Brian's eyes were full of fire as he watched Stockwell retreating. He knew the reaction well. Stockwell knew Justin was innocent; he was merely stalling for time. His gaze focused more on the newcomer, while in the back of his mind he questioned his decision in coming here. He had shaken Stockwell, and given him much more to think about; however, he had revealed his interest in Justin. It wouldn't take long for Stockwell to have his beach house surrounded - even if under another jurisdiction. He had to get Justin out of there now.

 

"Chief..." Carl began urgently. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but there's been a break in the case. I need to speak to you now..."

 

Uncaring of the impropriety of addressing this matter in the presence of a civilian, Stockwell turned and snapped at Carl, "The only thing I want to hear is that you have Justin Taylor in custody!"

 

Brian's lips pressed together at the savagery, and virtual hatred pouring from Stockwell. Justin was innocent. It should be apparent to everyone, even a homophobic asshole like Jim Stockwell. He remained silent, hoping to get as much information as he could... before Stockwell remembered himself and completed the act of throwing him out.

 

"Not exactly, Sir. We've called off the search." Carl looked nervously behind the chief, knowing he shouldn't be speaking of this openly. "Uhhh, can we speak privately, Sir? These are very sensitive matters."

 

Stockwell waved his hand, uncaring of how he now broke even more procedures. If it was new evidence that led to Justin Taylor's vindication, he would rather have Kinney off of his back, and out of his life - again. "Just spit it out, Carl."

 

Shaking his head in disbelief, yet knowing he had to follow Stockwell's directive, Carl told him, "The Hobbs boy has changed his statement. He has implicated his father in the crime."

 

"What!?" he exploded. "That's impossible! Chris Hobbs would never assault anyone - most especially his own son."

 

Brian gasped from behind them. Was he hearing what he thought he was? Fuck. It could all be over... just like that?

 

"I've asked for an APB on Chris Hobbs, Sr." Knowing in his gut that they were finally on the right track, Carl told the rest of what he'd discovered. "I think Hobbs had some warning. He isn't at his office or his residence. I think he's on the run now too. And with the money he has, he won't be easy to find."

 

With that statement, Brian's silence ended. "I'm warning you now, Stockwell - if that madman finds his way to Justin... I will come back here and kill you myself!" His eyes flickered over the both of them as he pushed his way through them. He turned once he crossed the threshold. "For once - do your fucking job!"

 

Carl swallowed awkwardly as the stranger passed through. "Chief, do you want me to detain that man? He just threatened you..."

 

"No. Let him go. However, we are going to end this case today - before any further scandal infects my town..." He moved back to his desk, his hand reaching for his cell phone. Sifting through his contacts, he wasn't the least bit surprised when the call went directly to voicemail. "Chris, it's Jim here. I got a fresh lead on the Taylor kid today. He's just a few hours away further south at those secluded beach houses. I'm calling it in now. They should have him back here soon."

 

"S-Sir..." Carl sputtered, unable to believe what Stockwell was doing. Hell! What if Hobbs managed to get to Justin first? Or... was that Stockwell's plan? "The kid is cleared. The warrant has been canceled."

 

"We know that, but Chris doesn't. This is the only chance of luring him out and ending this quickly."

 

Carl thought about it, and couldn't find anything good about the plan. "Chief, wouldn't Hobbs have left his cell phone behind? He can be traced through it."

 

"If he was thinking clearly - yes. However, remember this - Chris Hobbs isn't a career criminal. If he did this - it was a crime of passion. Given a chance - he will want to get his hands on the kid he blames for it."

 

"So... you're setting Justin Taylor up without any kind of warning." Carl shook his head, as he thought of his own repercussions. Debbie was going to fucking kill him. And if she didn't, he had the feeling the man that had left here so incensed just might finish the job.

 

TBC