- Text Size +

 

Brian's eyes were cold as Ben stepped across the threshold of his office. His most trusted employee, and friend, had much to answer for. He only hoped the answers were ones he would find acceptable... and forgivable. "Have a seat, Benjamin."

 

Ben proceeded forward, respectfully bowing to the waist before taking a seat in one of the chairs across from the Sultan's desk. "Good morning, Sire. I just received your summons. Is something amiss?"

 

"Is something amiss?" he ripped into his seemingly unsuspecting employee. "Are you fucking kidding me!?"

 

His eyes widened in alarm, and he was instantly filled with dread. Ben stammered, "S-Sire, I don't have a clue what seems to be troublesome to you. P-please tell me what is happening... and I will do everything I can to remedy the situation."

 

"I'm missing something here, Ben." Brian narrowed his eyes on Ben thoughtfully. "It's not like you to act with such subterfuge. I don't like to believe such is possible. Perhaps you don't understand the gravity of the choice you have made."

 

"Sultan, would you please tell me why you are upset with me?" Ben's eyes were wide, and he hoped they were filled with the confusion he felt. He had never been on the receiving end of the Sultan's wrath. Quickly, he found he didn't care for it at all. "I just woke up to be told of your urgent summons... nothing else was said."

 

Brian took in a deep breath, releasing it just as quickly. It was only due to his respect for the man that he now interrogated that prevented him from lunging across his desk and attacking him with the fury that now burned inside of him. "Fine, I'll do that..." he spat out. "Perhaps you slept so soundly knowing that your precious lover was safe from my brand of punishment that you failed to remember your duty to me!"

 

"M-Michael?" he stammered. "I don't understand, Sire. He's in prison awaiting his final punishment. I'm not aware of anything other than that."

 

He looked at Ben for a long, silent moment, at last shaking his head as his own confusion overcame him. Could it be a simple miscommunication? The prison guard had been clear on the events of last night. Now, he wondered if a mistake could have been made. "I called the prison this morning. I was informed that Michael attempted to use his hypnosis skills to escape the prison." Frowning as the shock became more than transparent on Ben's face, Brian continued, "I was also told that one of the guards informed you last night. Are you telling me that they did not... and that one of my guards has deceived me!?"

 

Ben stood to his feet, his eyes imploring as his hand moved about in furious agitation. "That's exactly what I'm saying, Your Highness. I can't believe you would think otherwise!" Looking intensely into his master's eyes, Ben brokenly whispered, "I came to you immediately when I discovered Michael's plot. My loyalty to you has always been absolute. I would never betray you. Ever!"

 

At once, Brian felt assailed by guilt. He hadn't really believed Ben had consciously betrayed him... he had thought it more to be a fleeting mistake. "I know this, Ben. You have always been my most trusted ally - that hasn't changed. I was merely concerned you had made a bad choice... one that could have catastrophic results."

 

Frowning, as all of the Sultan's words began to make more sense, Ben said, "Sire, if they told you I was informed - which I was not - wouldn't that mean that the guard could have been manipulated by Michael? We should be making our way there now..."

 

"Relax. I have already dispatched a group of our house guards to assess the situation - men that are immune to any hypnosis attempts. I'm expecting word from them very soon."

 

Nodding in understanding, Ben rushed to ask, "What would you like me to do in the meantime?"

 

"Until we are certain that Michael is still under control, I want you to remain close to both Gus and Justin. I believe them to be Michael's most logical targets." Brian found himself more than a slight bit regretful of his initial manner with Ben. He had come across as accusatory. In his head, he had known an explanation for Ben's supposed actions would be found. For once, he had responded emotionally. That was a weakness... and one he didn't like at all.

 

"What about Lindsay's departure?" Ben asked, realizing if Michael had been intent on escape... that would have been his method of accomplishing it.

 

"I have informed her that she will be taking a later flight. In addition, I have instructed the airport that no planes can depart until we know Michael is still in custody. I would have already traveled to the prison myself, but I want to be close in case Michael somehow has escaped. I can't shake the feeling that he would return here to finish what he started." Brian found himself almost hoping that would be the case. Destroying Michael would bring him immense pleasure... and how he had already decided to handle him would not only be fitting, but final as well. Also, he wouldn't be breaking his promise to Ben. Although, he doubted Ben would approve of how his justice would be administered.

 

Swallowing deeply, Ben asked a question, fearing of what the answer would be. "Have you changed your mind about not taking his life?"

 

That was a valid question... and one Brian wasn't certain he could answer - at least, not to the satisfaction of his sensitive employee and friend. "I'll be completely honest with you, Ben - as I always am. Right now, I can't answer that. Much of that depends on how this continues to play out."

 

"I understand, Sire. And I respect that decision. With Michael's actions of last night in mind, you are well within your rights to change your mind. In fact, I know if not for your regard for me, you might have made that decision initially."

 

Brian slightly grimaced. Ruler or not, he didn't like the fact that one of the men closest to him perceived him as so cold, and uncaring of human life - even a cretin like Michael Novotny. "I get that I am extremely hot-blooded... however, I hope you really don't see me as such a monster that has no regard for human life..."

 

Ben smiled in response. Monster - never. Strict disciplinarian - undoubtedly so. "Not at all. I just know that Michael has perpetrated great crimes against you. That can't be easy to overlook."

 

"It isn't..." Brian snapped. His body tensed when the phone on his desk began to ring. He cursed his hand that slightly shook as he picked it up to answer, for some reason knowing he wouldn't like the news he was about to receive.

 

Watching with as much tension filling his gut with anxiety, Ben noticed Brian's face becoming almost pale, and his eyes moving away to stare off in the opposite direction. For a split second, he thought he had read pity in Brian's eyes, only to have him look away. What's happening now? And how would that further affect them?

 

"Are you absolutely certain? There is no possible chance an error has been made?" Brian asked in an ominously low voice, more than aware that Ben was absorbing every word spoken.

 

"No, Your Highness. I am looking at the scene as we speak." A deep breath followed. "What would you have me do now?"

 

"I'll be there within the hour. Have the body prepared for the morgue..." Brian's eyes flickered with emotion as he watched the color draining totally from Ben's face, realizing an explanation needed to be given... and uncertain how to best deliver this most unexpected news.

 

Ben shook his head in disbelief as the Sultan ended the call, tears shimmering in his eyes. "I can't believe it. Please tell me that I misunderstood. Has Michael gone so far as killing someone?"

 

"Not exactly, my dear friend." Brian's voice cracked as he spoke the words... as much as he hated Michael, his heart was breaking at what he was now forced to reveal. "It appears that Michael was far more deranged than any of us realized. Upon arriving at the prison, my guards found Michael dead. Apparently, he hung himself."

 

TBC