- Text Size +

 

Justin looked at the Sultan in astonishment, his mouth dropping open in the process. Brian sounded almost pleading... if he didn't know the man better, he'd even say desperate. But that wasn't the controlling man he had come to know. He had to have heard wrong. In fact, the more he thought about it, he wondered if the words had been a figment of his imagination. That was the only thing that made sense. "Uhhh, could you repeat that? You lost me..."

 

Brian scowled as he intently studied his beautiful slave's face. No matter what happened here today, the primitive that made up much of the man he was today, would always view Justin as his. He couldn't imagine a time it wouldn't be so. As he looked at the seemingly perplexed blond, he wondered if he was having a rare moment of denseness... or if he was working at pushing him to reveal more of his own personal feelings - something that was agonizingly difficult for him to do. "I thought my statement to be both blunt and clear. What about it didn't you understand?"

 

His eyes flaring, Justin snapped, "Not a very nice way to go about this, Your esteemed Highness. I heard what you said. I just have a hard time believing it."

 

Mentally groaning, he could see his outspoken little blond was going to make this an ordeal he had hoped it wouldn't turn out to be. He was only starting to understand and accept his feelings for Justin, speaking of them so openly and freely fell far out of his comfort zone. Extending his hand outward, he asked for Justin's capitulation. In doing that, he instantly realized he continued to change his long-practiced behavior patterns. "Sit with me... please."

 

Justin arched a brow, his lips curving into a teasing smirk. "Please? Wow, I am impressed."

 

Resisting the urge to drag the adorable boy to his bed, and indulge in the immense pleasure he knew awaited him, Brian grasped Justin's hand, slowly walking him in the direction of the sofas. Releasing Justin's hand, he watched as Justin took a seat, aware of eyes following him that was filled with a glimmer of distrust. A look that he hoped to see for the last time very soon. "First of all, I want to thank you for looking after my son while I was away. It meant more to me than I can ever explain."

 

His throat becoming dry at the raw emotion he heard in the Sultan's voice, all Justin could do was nod, unable to look away. This was the man he found impossible to resist... it was a side of him so rarely seen - at least by him. There was a slight inflection of vulnerability in his tone. It was at complete odds with the Sultan's normal autocratic speech patterns. And there wasn't a doubt - it totally melted his heart. He responded in a low whisper, "It was nothing. You weren't gone for that long... and your son is charming. He's so intuitive for one so young."

 

A loving and completely doting smile spread across Brian's face. As he thought of his son, he didn't notice the transfixed look in Justin's expression. "He is amazing. I'm glad the two of you got on so well. I don't expose him to many people. Primarily, for his protection... but also, for his happiness as well. I don't want him getting attached to people, then having them disappear from his life."

 

Justin winced as he realized he could be one of those people disappearing after a short acquaintance. It was a good thing he hadn't met Gus sooner. At this point, an attachment hadn't been forged. "I guess it's good I'm leaving before that can happen."

 

"I guess there's nothing quite like cutting to the chase..." Brian mused aloud, only slightly irritated by Justin's jab - whether intentional or not. At this point, it didn't matter if Justin was merely trying to agitate him. What did matter was changing Justin's departure plans. In fact, that mattered more than anything.

 

"Well... if this is to be our last night together, I doubt you want to waste time with meaningless chatter..."

 

Brian's more primitive nature took over as a low growl escaped. "Meaningless chatter? I do not engage in matters that are a waste of my time. I would have thought you knew that by now..."

 

"Sorry..." Justin returned, immediately realizing that hadn't been the right thing to say to this man. He was more on edge about leaving than he wanted to admit. At least, more than he wanted to divulge to Brian - here and now. "I guess that was a poor choice of words."

 

"Extremely..." Brian knew he was failing at keeping the ice from his tone. He wasn't accustomed to being challenged at every turn... and by a man that he viewed as his own, made it even less pleasing. Despite feeling that Justin was his - and would always be so, he also realized that wasn't what the independent American needed to hear. He wouldn't ever lie to him about his thoughts or intentions; however, he could see the advantages in toning down his more primitive urges. Seeing Justin's back tensing in response, Brian hurriedly told him, "Calm yourself. I didn't say that to agitate you further. If you recall, I told you when I returned that I wanted to talk about your departure... and how I wanted to change your mind about that."

 

Justin released a deep breath he hadn't known himself to be holding. They were back on track now. He didn't think he had been purposely diverting Brian from this particular topic, but now he wasn't so sure. He was nervous about the outcome of this discussion. In particular, he dreaded it ending with them at odds, and with his departure firmly decided. A small degree of hope existed for them to reach an agreement still remained. He couldn't help being apprehensive about that being taken away. "I-I'm listening..."

 

Brian chuckled. "You sound like you're facing the firing squad. I would hope the thought of staying here with me isn't something so terribly daunting." His eyes quickly narrowed, yet sharpened on the blond's hesitancy, hoping that he could sway Justin to see things his way. "I think you know how much I want you here with me."

 

A slight flush tinted Justin's cheeks. "Yeah, that has never been in doubt; however, I think we both know that won't last. I doubt it ever does with you... after all, you do have a harem."

 

"Well... I am a Sultan. It is commonly expected that I would have a harem. Even if it isn't a requirement, it is accepted as normal within my station." Brian watched Justin's face, focused on his blond's every response. The time for playful banter had ended. It was time to get down to business. As far as he was concerned, convincing Justin to stay was his most desired acquisition ever. "Again..." Brian uttered almost heavily. "I want you to stay."

 

Justin's eyes flickered shut, before he opened them again just as quickly. He couldn't allow the need in Brian's voice to sway him. A firm stand was the only way to get himself on a plane home tomorrow - wherever that may be. Brian would never be able to give him what he both wanted and needed on an emotional level. He couldn't continue waiting for the impossible. In doing that, he would only break his heart further. The time to leave was now. "I know that, Brian, and part of me wants that too. B-but... I can't live under these conditions. I-it just doesn't work for me."

 

Brian gritted his teeth, enforcing calm upon himself, when every primal instinct urged him to crush the succulent lips beneath his own, and once more - claim every inch of the beautiful man that completely obsessed him. "I gather you are speaking of the harem. Okay... I can change your status. It might appear a bit unorthodox, but it can be done."

 

Shaking his head in confusion, Justin hurriedly asked, "What exactly are you saying?"

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian looked at Justin with the deepest intensity, and he hoped a sincerity that he had ever leveled on another man. His success here meant everything... and right now, his instincts told him he was losing the battle. He didn't like that feeling at all - particularly in this case. "I'm saying that I will formally release you as a slave. You could have your own suite of rooms, and essentially come and go as you please."

 

Justin stood up from his seat on the sofa, at once pacing back and forth. This was what he had wanted all along... and yet, something was still missing. He believed Brian would do as he promised, but it didn't resolve their issues, at least, not completely. "That's a nice offer, Brian. I can even say it's both tempting and surprising. However, it doesn't make everything okay."

 

His face instantly flushing in rage, Brian stood and stepped over to his rebellious blond. He raked a hand through his hair, his eyes glittering before he exploded, "I don't get you, Justin. What the fuck do you want from me!? I am agreeing to release you as my slave - let me tell you that is a sacrifice for me, but it apparently still isn't enough for you."

 

"I'm not ignorant of how you live your life. I know this offer you make goes against who you are... and that you would do that to keep me here does mean something. However..."

 

"It isn't enough..." Brian bit out, anger continuing to swell in him as he realized this was quickly spiraling out of control. He was losing Justin... he could feel it. In fact, he wouldn't be surprised if he had lost him already, and he didn't know how to change that.

 

"Perhaps it would be enough for another man... but sadly, not for me. I need more. I want exclusivity, and I certainly don't want to be going through the motions each day - wondering if I will be the one you want that night. I think more of myself than that." Justin turned to face the man that he knew to be filled with angry disappointment, uncaring that his heart openly displayed in his eyes. "I want to be the only one... and I know you can't give me that."

 

It was Brian's turn to look surprised. He hadn't known what to expect from Justin's response, but that wasn't it. "The only one..." he repeated, his head shaking as he spoke the strange words. "You ask too much of me, Justin... at least, you ask for it too soon. Giving up the harem is a complete change of lifestyle for me. I'm not saying it isn't something I would never do, but to have you demand it of me in order for you to remain is immensely displeasing to me."

 

"I guess it's goodbye then." Justin looked away, forcing himself not to shed tears at what now appeared to be his definite departure. As much as he wanted to stay, he couldn't do so under these circumstances. To do so would break his heart even more. As it was, he wasn't even certain his heart could withstand this last night in Brian's arms.

 

"It appears so..." Striding to the door, knowing he had lost this battle, he knew he had to separate himself from Justin for a while before the primitive in him took matters to the extreme. Understanding Justin as he now did, he realized that would be the worst thing he could do now. "I'm going to spend a few hours with my son... and then, we'll spend the rest of the night together. Until then, you can move freely about the grounds. Should you still wish to leave tomorrow, my plane will fly you out in the morning."

 

"Thank you, Brian." Justin's voice slightly cracked when he answered, his eyes barely taking in Brian's back tensing in response. "This isn't what I want. It's just what I have to do."

 

Not saying another word, not trusting himself to say the right ones, he simply nodded and slipped through the door. He didn't look at the guard when he issued the order, "Justin is free to explore the grounds, and return when he's finished." As he walked away, he forced his mind to focus on enjoying the next few hours with his son, and to the evening ahead. He feared the morning, and Justin's departure would arrive all too soon. Unless a miracle occurred on this night, it was a reality he would be forced to face... and one that filled his mind, and heart with dread.

 

TBC