- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Banner: Thank you to Marny for another exquisite banner!

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Queer as Folk. This is done for entertainment purposes only!

 

Brian stood in front of the bathroom mirror, adjusting his tie for what was probably the tenth time - an adjustment that hadn't been necessary any of the previous times. He knew what was going on, although the warden in him was loathed to admit to any weakness. Today was a day he had been dreading for months. His feelings for Justin, his former prisoner, had made him weak. At home, away from that part of his life, it was fine. However, during the day, in his position as the strict Warden Kinney, that mode of behavior was unacceptable.

 

Justin Taylor had changed his life. He had never expected that change to affect his work life, especially after Justin was released from his prison. If anything, it had only gotten worse. He found himself wondering what his hot little blond was doing, if he was doing it safely... and if some low-life ex-con would seek his lover out to get some form of twisted revenge on him. It was an unending cycle for him - day in and day out.

 

Realistically, he knew there were two ways out of the situation. Neither of them held any appeal. One, he could retire from his position as warden at Greensburg. Or else he could end his public commitment to Justin. He wasn't about to do either. He loved his job and knew that he was damned good and effective at it. And Justin, well, that was impossible. The little fucker had ingrained himself too deeply into both his head and his heart. There was no way he could ever let him go.

 

Today was just a bad day, with all of the possible scenarios featuring in his mind. One of Justin's prison admirers would be released today. It had only been six months since Justin's release. In prison life that was a long time. Perhaps Justin wouldn't be the first thing on Ethan Gold's mind as he once again was a free man. Ethan wasn't the easiest of men to read. He hadn't been able to fully determine what path he would take next. He did know that he didn't believe Ethan's declaration of rehabilitation was truly genuine. It didn't seem that long ago when Ethan and Kip had worked together to trap Justin in the prison library. Rape had been their agenda. It was almost unfathomable to him that Ethan changed so quickly.

 

"You look hot as always, warden," Justin remarked from behind him, his arms wrapping around the waist of the man he loved. He frowned when he met Brian's gaze in the mirror, something in his eyes slightly alarming to him. "Brian? What is it? You look overly worried."

 

"Not worried really." Brian turned and wrapped his own arms around his beautiful blond roommate, his arms pulling him in closer. "You know how I hate releasing parasites back into society... even ones that convince the committee of their rehabilitation."

 

Justin frowned at the tension that clearly defined his typically confident and controlling lover. "You think Ethan tricked them? That he's still a menace to society?"

 

"Society is often unworkable for released prisoners. In fact, statistics heavily favor them returning in a short amount of time. If nothing else, I am realistic about the system and how it affects others." Brian's tone was bland, determined not to display his unease when he had nothing to support his concern. Brian further distracted his hot little blond by smashing his lips onto Justin's... a proven method of silencing his always overly curious partner.

 

Moaning, Justin returned Brian's kiss with equal fervor... not the least bit deceived by Brian's disarming tactics. He had lived with Brian for the past six months. He had gotten to know him very well. Brian was worried, and he was certain the fear was directed at the possibility of Ethan Gold coming after him, and perhaps finishing what had been started in the prison library. Justin didn't think so, though. Even at the time, he had felt that Kip had been the true instigator of that meeting. By no means did he think Ethan was harmless, but he didn't think he would come after him. At least, he hoped not.

 

Moving his hands up and down Brian's back, Justin whimpered into the heat of Brian's devouring mouth. "Do you really have to leave now?"

 

Brian growled, his hands clenching and unclenching on Justin's hips. "Yes. I have to be there early. I shouldn't be late tonight, though."

 

"Sounds wonderful. I'll cook dinner." Justin became pensive for a moment. "Then... Babylon tonight?"

 

"Sure, why not? It's Friday, the beginning of my vacation... and I'm sure I'll want to indulge my senses after my day at the prison."

 

Justin pouted, although he knew he had nothing to fear with Brian's former club boy lifestyle. "I'm hoping you plan on spending most of your time indulging with me, warden."

 

"Always, Mr. Taylor." Brian swatted Justin playfully on the ass, before slipping from the bathroom and in the direction of his desk that held his jacket, briefcase, and keys. "Later..." Brian called out before slipping through the door, leaving his adoring lover with an affectionate smile on his lips, each of them yearning for the end of the day... and a much-needed start to their vacation.

 

Vacation, Justin thought to himself. He still didn't know where they were going. All he knew was that Brian told him they would be leaving on Saturday... and to pack for a much warmer climate. That certainly didn't tell him much. In the end, though, it didn't really matter. All that did matter was that they were getting away somewhere together. He couldn't wait to spend the next two weeks isolated with the man he loved.

 


 

Ethan Gold smiled as he lay on his cell bunk. The end was finally in sight. It had taken six months of model behavior... but it was worth it now. The chairman of the parole committee had reviewed his case, listened to his statement, and thankfully decided he was rehabilitated. At the time of his hearing nearly two weeks ago, he hadn't been sure of his success. All due to the meddling Warden Kinney. The warden didn't testify on his behalf. That, of course, hadn't been of any great surprise. Warden Kinney still seemed obsessed with his former prisoner - Justin Taylor. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that the two of them were still together.

 

Justin. Beautiful, and unfortunately... untouchable. He and Kip had tried to score with the novice blond... but that all changed when the warden took notice. Kip had been angry and swearing about the warden overstepping his boundaries for weeks. He had just shrugged it away to the man in power knowing how to take advantage of a situation. In the warden's shoes - he would have done the exact same thing.

 

He was about to collect his personal belongings and leave the prison six months ahead of schedule. He allowed his elation to now consume him. Freedom led to various opportunities for him on the outside. He couldn't wait to explore each of them. One in particular. Renewing old acquaintances.

 

When Kip stepped into their shared cell, he barely extended him a glance, his complete attention focused on the clock, and the fact that mere minutes remained until he would be escorted to the prison gates. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that it would be Brandon escorting him... or even the warden himself. The controlling warden would want him to leave with a lasting impression. Sitting on the edge of his bunk, he surreptitiously glanced at Kip, more than aware that something was on his conniving mind. "Let's hear it. I won't be here much longer..."

 

"Hear what?" Kip sneered. "Why do you always think I'm up to something?"

 

"Gee, I don't know... maybe because I've lived with you for a while now," Ethan responded, his chin lifting as he spoke.

 

Kip narrowed his eyes on the suddenly docile Ethan. "You've sure changed your attitude since your big meeting with the parole board. It's like you are truly a rehabilitated man." His eyes became smaller, almost becoming a squint. "However, we know better... don't we Curly Top?"

 

Standing to his feet, his eyes sweeping the room, he made sure he had all of his meager belongings, before turning to face his glowering cellmate. "I don't know what you mean, Kip." His eyes cold, with his face an unreadable mask, Ethan told him, "Obviously the parole committee believed me to be. They don't parole everyone... do they?"

 

Kip clenched his fists at his sides. "Is that a dig on me being denied?"

 

"Just stating the facts, Kipster."

 

"It doesn't matter; I've only got six months left." His eyes drilled into Ethan's darker ones. "I'll be seeing you when I get out... unless, you fuck up and end up back in here."

 

Ethan gave Kip a look of total disinterest. "I see no reason for us to hook up on the outside. We've spent enough time together in here." Looking around the cell in distaste, his lip twisted when he spat out, "I have no intention in returning."

 

A grunt sounded from the other side of the cell. They looked to see Brandon looking in with a bored, yet somehow watchful expression. "That's what they all say, Gold. However, that's not how it usually goes."

 

Ethan kept his standard blank expression on his face, his eyes fully focused on the warden's number one guard, not wanting to create any incidents at this point. "Is it time for me to go, Sir?"

 

"Sir?" Brandon parroted. "My my, you are definitely off to a brand new start."

 

Kip snidely smirked from his own bunk. He wasn't falling for it, not for one single minute. He knew what Ethan wanted; in fact, what they both wanted. Neither of them would get it without a great deal of subterfuge and manipulation. Ethan might be prepared to let things go... but he wasn't. His time was coming. When it did, he knew exactly what direction he'd be heading.

 

Nodding his head contritely, Ethan offered, "I feel it's in my best interest to move forward, and put this experience behind me. Not forgotten... but a lesson learned."

 

Dubiously, Brandon replied, "Commendable, Gold. Highly commendable..."

 

"A crock of shit is what I call it..." Kip boldly proclaimed. He cast a conspiratorial wink in Ethan's direction, knowing it wouldn't take much to elevate Brandon's suspicious nature. In turn, going directly back to the warden's office... which was the best way he knew to pass the time. "It's been fun, Curly. Best of luck on the outside... and don't forget to look up our favorite blond." Kip chortled at Ethan's gasp of discomfort, and the glare that stabbed into him from Brandon's green eyes.

 

"Can we just go?" Ethan asked nervously, his departure not going nearly as well as he'd hoped.

 

Brandon eyed the two men warily, suspicion warring with common sense. Gold had been the model prisoner for the past six months, although that could have been due to his parole hearing coming up. Was he truly rehabilitated, or would he be looking to cause trouble once he left here as a free man? Ordinarily, he wouldn't give a damn. However, Kip's reference to the blond hadn't gone unnoticed. All of them knew exactly what blond it was in reference to. The warden would be livid.

 

Kip was much different than Ethan. He was a self-centered asshole that lived in the moment... never beyond that. He had always been good at making men do what he wanted. And he used that skill far too often. Had he manipulated Ethan into doing something to Justin when he was on the outside? That was certainly a worry... and something he was sure the warden would speculate about today, and when the day came for Kip's release. That day would be more disturbing than this one. Kip would always be a smart-mouthed SOB that didn't give a damn about anyone other than what amused him at the time. In addition, he could also be dangerous. In the prison he had stayed under reasonable control; however, on the outside, if he was either enraged or impassioned, he wasn't sure of what the malevolent man would do.

 

This had been a day he had been dreading, and he knew Warden Kinney felt the same. One if not both of these men would eventually seek Justin out. What happened if they did? There wasn't much they could do until contact had been made. In fact, they would be helpless until a crime was committed. His gut told him there would be one... sooner or later. For his part, he would be keeping his eyes and ears close on all that Kip did in the meantime. Brian would watch over Justin on the outside. He only hoped it would be enough.

 

There wasn't a doubt in his mind that one day his fears would become a reality. It was simply a question of it being Ethan, Kip, or Chris Hobbs. Kip would be out in six months, and there wasn't anything they could do to circumvent that. Hobbs would be incarcerated a while longer. In his mind, though, it wouldn't be long enough. As long as Justin was so easily found, living with the warden that each of these men despised, Justin would be a target. To his regret, there wasn't a damned thing he could do about it. For now, all he could do was watch and wait. He didn't doubt that Warden Kinney would be doing exactly the same thing.

 

TBC