- Text Size +

 

Brian glanced at the morning sun beginning to peek through the semi-transparent covering on the balcony windows, a reminder that duty would soon call. Today was the day of Michael's execution. He needed to meet with Ben before leaving for the prison, and then, he would be off to oversee the destruction of what he would always view as unadulterated evil. Technically, he wasn't required to be in attendance, but with what had happened in the past, he found not being there a matter of negligence. He wasn't taking any chances. He wanted to be there in the case that Michael survived the deadly injection. Nothing would surprise him in the case of Michael Novotny. Should that unlikely event happen, a second injection would be administered, one of a higher dosage. In this case, Brian would not decree the prisoner be freed should he survive. The execution would continue until Michael was officially pronounced dead.

 

He found it slightly ironic that Michael would die by lethal injection. It was only poetic justice since he had chosen to torture and corrupt others through the use of drugs. When he thought of what Michael had planned for Justin, and how close he had come to succeeding, he wanted to choke the actual life out of the repulsive snake. But no, he would do this diplomatically. His hands would not be sullied by Michael Novotny... and now Michael would be out of their lives forever.

 

Brian groaned as he watched the slow awakening stretch of the beautiful blond in his bed... the man he had just proposed to mere hours ago. He couldn't wait to legally unite them, binding them together for the rest of their days. As much as he wanted to linger in bed, he knew he must attend to his duty. With a sigh of infinite regret, Brian swung his legs over the side of the bed, a shower, and his official state of dress would be on his immediate agenda.

 

Justin's eyes flickered open at the sudden and unexpected movement, a pout immediately forming on his lips... a mouth that has given his Sultan an indescribable amount of pleasure deep into the night. "Do you have to leave so early?"

 

"Yes, Justin. Today I must." Brian's voice was terser than he intended, but thankfully Justin was well accustomed to certain obligations of his position bringing out this more caustic side of the Sultan. "I need to be in full royal dress... and I need to meet with Benjamin."

 

"Ben..." Justin repeated sadly. "Despite moving on, this will be a bad day for him. Is there anything I can do, Brian? Anything at all?"

 

Brian smiled affectionately at the only man that could change his resolve, and soften his most hardened heart. "Only be here when I return. I hate that our reunion is being cut so short by these unpleasant events. However, it will be over quickly." Moving around to the other side of the bed, knowing he didn't have the option of lingering, Brian lightly trailed his hand along Justin's cheek, a smile of sweet remembrance curving his lips. "We have so many plans to make, and a formal announcement to make. My people will need to become accustomed to your new status; I want to set that in place soon."

 

Justin cast a beaming smile in Brian's direction. "I can't believe it. We're really getting married." A sudden frown marred Justin's face. "You didn't ask because you thought it was the only way to make me happy? You really want to marry me?"

 

"I want that more than anything..." Brian answered earnestly, his eyes lighting up as love glimmered in them. Bending down, Brian tenderly attached his lips to Justin's, moving them slowly over them, sipping at his lips as if fashioned of the most unique and delicious nectars. He pulled back almost as quickly, knowing he couldn't start something now. In his role as Sultan, there would be many times when business took priority over his home life. This was certainly one of those times.

 

With a happy sigh, Justin answered, feeling he was lost in an improbable dream. "I know you have to go. I'll be here when you get back. Always... and forever."

 

"I'll hold you to that promise..." Brian answered, smiling one last time before heading in the direction of the bathroom to shower and dress for what he knew would be a long morning. This day would begin with darkness, but he hoped that it would end with the promise of a much brighter tomorrow.

 


 

Brian looked up from the tedious task of signing legal documents when Ben was announced before entering his private office. He watched him cautiously, hoping to discern his temperament, remembering their last encounter only too well. "Have a seat, Benjamin. I'll need to leave soon, but I wanted to speak with you first."

 

"Of course, Sire." Ben bowed and took a seat, lines of tension marking his face, but his heart being less troubled today. "I was planning on spending the morning with Gus. Brandon suggested it. That is, if that is agreeable?"

 

Smiling, Brian nodded his complete agreement. "Of course, Ben. That's more than agreeable. My son loves both of you... and you will never find me rejecting an offer that only increases my son's security."

 

"Wonderful." Ben cleared his throat nervously, before asking, "So... the execution commences on your arrival?"

 

"Yes. It is one hour from now; I will leave shortly to make sure everything is prepared, and I will have one last meeting with Michael." He visibly shuddered at the thought. "It is expected."

 

"Have you determined how he will be put to death?" Ben wasn't certain he wanted to know, but a part of him had to have the answer. Even though he realized Brian's contempt for Michael was justified, he couldn't help hoping for a humane death. No matter how badly Michael had lived his life, Ben still valued human life. Knowing that his former lover would soon be put to death wasn't easy for him.

 

Brian nodded. "I have informed the prison and the doctor overseeing the procedure that death would be utilizing lethal injection." Brian didn't go on about the irony of using drugs, after how much Michael had misused them... but Ben was very intuitive. He was certain it would occur to him, at least, at some point. "It is a very quick end, Benjamin, and it is pain-free."

 

"Yes, Your Highness. It is more humane than I could have expected." Tears formed in his eyes. "Thank you."

 

"No thanks are necessary, Benjamin. You have suffered as much as anyone." Brian took a deep breath, forcing himself to handle this discussion with tact and not in his typical autocratic fashion. "I am not seeking to inflict torture on Michael; I want to resolve this as peacefully as possible - then we all can move forward. However, his crimes are too severe for anything less than a death sentence... and you know that. He is a constant danger to society everywhere, and I cannot allow that."

 

"I understand, Sire. I don't seek to change your mind. Six months ago, yes I would have... but too much has happened since then. Michael had the chance to make better choices and start fresh. Instead, he remained mired in jealousy and hate. There is no remorse in him." Tears slid down Ben's face. "Knowing that, I also accept there is no hope for him. The simple truth is clear... ending his life is saving anyone he would interact with in the future."

 

Brian inclined his head, in complete agreement. Opening his top desk drawer, Brian removed a file, before pushing it across the desk to Ben. "Open it."

 

Frowning, uncertain of what the Sultan would want him to review at this precise time, Ben slowly opened the folder, confusion clearly defined on his face as he asked a question. "Sire? Why are you showing me these travel brochures? And a credit card?"

 

"When was the last time you took a vacation? And I don't mean when you've accompanied me on my travels. That doesn't count..." Brian quirked a brow when he stopped Ben from answering exactly how he knew he would. He waved a hand when Ben started to speak. "We both know the answer. I want you to take a break from your duties here for the next two weeks. Hell, take a month if you need to."

 

"A month? That's preposterous!" Ben exclaimed. "I have responsibilities, not only in Al Duran, but to you and Gus. I am needed here."

 

"Yes, of course, you are... but in the coming months, I will need you even more. And you need to get away for a while." Brian took a deep breath. "I didn't want to tell you like this, or even right now, but heightened security will be needed in the future."

 

Ben sat up straighter in his chair, his eyes intent and exceedingly more alert. "Why is that, Sire? Has something happened?"

 

"Oh nothing other than the fact that your Sultan became engaged, and his future husband, the only Damat my country has ever known, will need his own private security, and all the protocol that follows along with such a position." Brian smiled as Ben's jaw dropped, the shock more than apparent on his always expressive face.

 

"You're not serious? Married? You... and Justin?" Words kept tumbling from Ben's mouth. "It's not possible. It can't be! It's not you..."

 

Brian laughed. "I guess I deserve such a sense of shocked disbelief. But yes, the impossible has happened, Benjamin. I am getting married. Obviously, it won't be immediately. I plan to hold off on the formal announcement until you have returned from your vacation, and proper security measures are in place. It goes without saying, I am a very influential ruler; I will not have Justin's safety compromised."

 

Ben could hardly take it all in. Of course, Justin would require devout protection, just as much as the Sultan. He had to be considered a target now, and a weakness for any enemy of the Sultan's to exploit. "It's just incredible, Sultan. I simply have no words. I will do everything I can to ensure a smooth transition for Justin's security. He is a wonderful young man. It will be my honor to protect him."

 

"Thank you, Benjamin. That means more to me than I can possibly say." Slightly grimacing as he looked at the time, Brian's tone became more stern. "I must go now. You have an important task today, my friend. I want you to take those brochures and show them to Brandon. Pick a location and make the reservations. Use the credit card I provided. That can also be used to pay for all your expenses during your time away."

 

Ben stood to his feet, amazed how he had entered this room with such a heavy heart, and now, finding it filled more with joy and hope for the future. Not just for him, but for all of them. He wasn't about to argue about the vacation further. There wasn't a doubt that his Sultan's mind was made up, and despite his initial protests, he realized some time away with Brandon could be exactly what he needed. "Thank you, Your Highness. Your generosity is overwhelming. I will discuss this with Brandon immediately, and have a decision soon.'

 

Brian nodded curtly, his mind now on the business of dispensing of the deranged Michael Novotny. "We'll speak later." Standing to his feet when Ben made his exit, Brian took in a deep breath before doing the same. Once he reached the front entrance of the palace, Brian nodded to his driver and the guards that would accompany him to the prison. In Arabic, he tersely told them, "Let's get this done..."

 


 

With a deep flourish, the prison doctor kneeled as the Sultan approached the holding room for the condemned prisoner. "Good morning, Your Majesty."

 

"Please rise." Brian glanced around, seeing that the hallway was adequately protected, and the door to the observation room open and accessible to him. Once the doctor was standing, Brian asked, "Is the prisoner ready for execution?"

 

"Yes, Your Highness." He cleared his throat before continuing, "He adamantly refused sedation."

 

Brian shrugged his shoulders. "It doesn't matter. Perhaps that will make it end more quickly for him."

 

"Either way, it shouldn't take long. In my experience, the maximum time has been no more than ten minutes, with the average being around eight."

 

"I am going to speak with him briefly... then, the injection may commence." Brian looked toward the door. "Is anyone with him now?"

 

"No, Your Highness. He requested solitude, and a nurse can monitor him from the observatory. The prisoner is in restraints on the bed. He will be unable to harm you." The doctor flinched from the look of censure on Brian's face, knowing in an instant he had erred. The Sultan was not a weak man under any circumstances. He knew he needed to choose his words more wisely. "Sire, I- I didn't mean..."

 

"Relax..." Brian admonished. "I understand what you meant. I will only need a few minutes. After the prisoner is declared as deceased, I will check myself." Brian's eyes were cold as he assessed the nervous physician. "There will NOT be any mistakes or misconceptions made here today." Before giving the doctor one last stern look, Brian pushed past him and opened the door that separated him from the most detestable man he had ever known. He arched a brow at his initial sight of the condemned man, anger and disbelief swelling at him at the hostility openly displayed on his face.

 

"Well, well... I must be special to get a visit from the almighty Sultan," Michael sneered as his eyes moved over the primitive beauty. "Tell me, Brian, is this to be some type of conjugal visit? I know what you have at home must be grossly inadequate..."

 

Brian clenched and unclenched his fists at his sides. How dare this piece of vermin speak to him so? And only moments before his execution. He should have chosen a firing squad, hanging, anything other than the tranquil end he would be receiving. "Silence!" Brian snarled. "You will only speak when asked to speak. I am the ruler of this country, not your friend or acquaintance. Respect will be given - even now." Brian shook his head. "Do you not realize I can change how you are put to death? I am being much more humane than you deserve."

 

Michael rolled his eyes. "My apologies, your excellency. Forgive me for not bowing. It's a bit difficult in these restraints."

 

"You are the most worthless piece of trash I have ever encountered... and believe me when I say - I have met many. Clearly, you have no remorse. I realize you have been informed of the process. It will be over quickly, and it is without pain." Brian coldly watched Michael's face transforming from malevolent to showing a slight sign of fear. That was more like it, he thought. It was unacceptable that he continued on in this manner. His temper wouldn't allow for it. "I will caution you - do NOT try any of your tricks with the doctor or anyone attending you. There will be no deception this time. I will examine your body myself once you are pronounced dead."

 

"How thorough..." Michael sneered, his heart beginning to race as the inevitability of his circumstances finally assailed him. He was running out of time. His dreams of a relationship with the cold and beautiful Sultan was now a thing of the past. He loathed him now. If pleading for his life would gain him a reprieve, then he would humiliate himself to the fullest. Truly, he had no other choice. "Brian... I- I mean, Sultan, don't do this. I can change. I- I guess I always thought that deep down you wanted me and that you rebelled against committing to an American. Some dreams are hard to push away."

 

Brian looked at Michael incredulously. After everything he had perpetrated, did he really think him so gullible? A calculating glint appeared in his eyes. He would provoke Michael into revealing another brand of deception. "I'm sure they are; however, that is of no consequence to me now." Deliberately, Brian paused for effect. "I should thank you, Michael."

 

"T-thank me?" Michael asked, liking neither the Sultan's words nor the cold look in his eyes.

 

Inclining his head, Brian agreed. "Yes. If you hadn't gone to such lengths to separate me from Justin; it would have taken me even longer to realize how much he means to me, and how I don't ever want to be without him again." Brian's eyes narrowed on Michael's changing expression - confusion quickly turning into jealousy. His voice lowered as if telling his deepest, darkest secret. "Only two other people know this, Justin being one of them, but allow me to tell you now." Brian winked with an evil smile on his face. "I know you won't be sharing this with anyone. Last night I asked Justin to marry me... and he accepted."

 

Michael's face contorted in rage, his eyes bulging, arms pulling at the restraints that were in place. "Marriage!" he spat out. "It's blasphemous. To your kind, he is a foreigner... an infidel. Inexperienced in what his new life will bring. I should have killed him when I had the chance." He began to cackle insanely. "Your husband will never last a year. He will not be accepted by your people... and your enemies will strike out. If nothing else, I will die in peace knowing in time your life will disintegrate."

 

A muscle ticked in Brian's cheek as he fought to maintain control. More than anything he wanted to choke the last breath from the deranged and dangerous man. He would rise above that temptation. This execution would be above suspicion or question. The protocol would be followed. Between clenched teeth, Brian hissed, "There is nothing redeemable in you, Michael Novotny. You have been sentenced to death, and you will face that judgment immediately."

 

Moments later, behind the confines of the observation room glass, the Sultan watched as the drug was injected, and the sinister man began to fade away. He took very little enjoyment out of Michael's death, the crimes of the soon-to-be deceased man, as well as the pain he had inflicted on so many others, far outweighing this moment of justice and vengeance. Just over seven minutes from the time of injection, Michael Novotny took his last breath, his head turned toward the glass for the last few minutes, his eyes glassy and fixed on the window as if trying to engrave his face in Brian's memory.

 

As the Sultan observed the examination of Michael's body, Brian felt a sense of relief that pure evil had been extinguished on this day. Now, the future would be more assured, not only for him, Justin, and his son... but for his beloved people as well. Justice and vengeance truly had been served.

 

TBC