- Text Size +

 

Brian cast a long, regretful look at the sleeping figure of his new lover, never having felt so conflicted in both leaving his bed, and starting his typical work week. There wasn't a doubt that he could call his office and rearrange his schedule; however, for some reason, he didn't think Justin would want that. Normalcy seemed to be what Justin wanted, at least, as much as could be in his extraordinary circumstances. After the context of Justin's dreams, mixed in with his explanation of them, Brian wasn't certain work would be easily concentrated on today.

 

Powering on his cell phone for the first time since last night, Brian was surprised to find several text messages from Ben, all appearing to be sent this morning. He scanned through them before he proceeded to dial him directly. Something was apparently wrong, or perhaps it simply meant that the investigation of Melanie had turned something up. For his son's sake, he really hoped it didn't... but the more selfish part of him that looked for an excuse to have his son close couldn't deny hoping just the opposite.

 

"What is it, Ben? I was just on my way to the bank." Brian's tone was curt, alarm mixed in with impatience clearly discernible in his tone.

 

"I'm not sure, Brian. I just don't like this information..." Ben stood up from the breakfast table at Debbie Novotny's home and mouthed to her and Michael that he needed to take this call. "Let me get outside, Brian. I'll explain in full."

 

Michael sighed as Ben walked away. "My man, the always diligent bodyguard."

 

Debbie snorted. "Comes with working for Brian. The poor man can't have a vacation."

 

"He gets a lot of perks working for Brian... and there's no doubt, Brian needs someone like Ben." Michael was always quick to defend both Ben and Brian. He understood the time and importance of Ben's job. Not everyone realized how dangerous Brian's world was, and the enemies he had amassed over the years. Michael knew that. Despite worrying over Ben and Brian both, he accepted it as it was. It was life for them - pure and simple.

 

"Maybe if Brian didn't make such an effort at pissing everyone off, he wouldn't need so much protection."

 

Michael shrugged. "It's the life Brian has chosen, and in turn, Ben chooses to protect him. I don't intend on changing his view on that." Feeling a definite change of subject was in order, Michael asked her, "So, what do you have planned for us to do today, Ma?"

 

"I have the day free today." Deb looked at her son inquisitively. "What do you think Ben would like to do?"

 

Mentally groaning, Michael surmised the change of subject lasted for about thirty seconds. "Uhhh, it's just going to be the two of us, Ma. Ben is returning to New York... but I'm still staying the entire week."

 

"I should have known..." Deb didn't elaborate further, she knew there was no point, nor any need in prolonging a discussion that would only make Ben's departure more difficult on her son. "I'll just clear these dishes away," she mumbled, quickly finding herself engulfed in a fierce hug the moment she stood to her feet.

 

"Thank you for not exploding over the change of plans." Michael pulled back to gaze lovingly at his mother, instantly the knowledge sinking in just how much he missed seeing her on a daily basis.

 

Shrugging, Deb patted Michael on the back before she went to the work of clearing the table. "It is what it is, Sweetheart. Harping on it won't change a damn thing."

 

Michael smiled as he helped his mother clear breakfast away, his footsteps following her into the kitchen. No matter the duration, it was good to be home.

 


 

Ben didn't speak again until he was alone outside. He didn't want anyone to hear what he had to say. Michael would only worry, and the fewer people that became involved in Brian's private business, the safer it would be for everyone concerned. Ben had learned a long time ago the variety of men that traveled in Brian's circles. Caution was always the best form of defense.

 

"Okay, Brian. I'm alone now. I had a disturbing call from your PI this morning. I really felt the need to run it past you... and also, I decided I would feel better if I cut my vacation short and returned home today." Ben really didn't have anything concrete to base that decision on. He often performed on gut instincts. This was one of them now.

 

"Returning home?" Brian repeated, the messages on his laptop quickly ignored following the unexpected statement. His eyes glittered angrily, as he spat out, "So... he found something on Melanie..."

 

Ben frowned, nearly forgetting about the investigation on Melanie, although that had been the reason Brian had hired the Pittsburgh-based PI. "No, nothing like that. In fact, just the opposite. He called to let me know that everything came back clean on her. She goes to work, then comes home. Her clients are all legitimate. No affairs or questionable alliances."

 

Brian felt a flicker of disappointment, before berating himself for being so selfish. As much as he despised one of his son's caregivers, it wasn't in Gus' best interest to be ripped from the family and home he knew and loved. No matter how much he would love a reality that would make his son a larger part of his life, his happiness and security was all that really mattered. "Okay, Ben. It's early... and I haven't rested a great deal this weekend. Fill in the blanks for me."

 

Far too concerned with what he needed to tell his boss, Ben didn't make any remarks regarding the reason why he knew Brian hadn't attained much sleep over the weekend. It was a shame to miss the opportunity, though. In all the years he had known and worked for Brian, he had never seen him so rattled by a man. That in itself interested him. Not only that, but it also alarmed him. Vulnerability placed a man at risk. A man with Brian's financial holdings and power was even more so. "After I received the report on Melanie, the PI contacted me again."

 

"Regarding..." Brian felt like he was pulling teeth here. It wasn't a feeling he particularly enjoyed.

 

"It could be nothing... or it could be the beginning of a problem." Ben took in a deep breath, his analytical mind working out all the different ways this could be bad news. "Your PI called and forewarned me that a local businessman, one that is well off, but not nearly in your category, was seeking to hire him to investigate you. I find it a bit odd since you don't live in the Pittsburgh area, but this man does, and so does your son."

 

"It goes without saying that I have more than a few enemies. This could be a result of that. Nevertheless, being located in the same city my son lives in is cause for alarm. What is the name of this man that wants to know everything about me?" Brian asked, quickly deciding his work plans had just been diverted for the day - at least. Nothing took precedent over his son's safety. He would get to the bottom of this, and he would do so immediately.

 

Ben didn't know why, but he didn't feel that this was a case of a former enemy seeking revenge on the multi-millionaire in Brian Kinney. Something more was going on. He had no real cause to think that... but he couldn't shake the feeling of some very bad days ahead. "His name is Craig Taylor, and again, he is a local businessman. I believe he deals in electronics."

 

"Did you say, Taylor?" Brian hissed, his eyes wild in rage; despite his anger, questions still churning in his mind. "How the fuck does Taylor even know Justin is with me?"

 

"Justin?" Ben asked. "This Craig Taylor has a connection to the boy that is staying with you?"

 

"Craig Taylor is Justin's father. He ran away from home years ago to escape mental and physical abuse. This man is a fucking monster! Now, we need to determine why he is investigating me, and how he even knows I'm with his son."

 

Ben caught and released his breath slowly. "I had no idea, Brian. About Justin, I mean. That's horrible. In answer to your question... I haven't told anyone about Justin, and I doubt either of you have either. To my way of thinking - that leaves only one other person."

 

"Sapperstein..." Brian growled. "Son-of-a-bitch. That low-life has been working with Justin's father, but for how long?"

 

"This is really fucked up, Brian!" Ben didn't know Justin, but this was bad from every possible angle. His heart went out to the young man. One thing was for certain, Justin was fortunate that Brian had not only found him, but took such a proprietary interest in him. Knowing Brian as he did, Ben knew that no matter what the future held for Justin and Brian's relationship, one thing wouldn't be left unfinished, and that was Justin's protection from these men. "I'll be home today, Brian. We'll figure this out."

 

Brian thought about that for a moment, before coming to the only conclusion he felt comfortable in making. "No. I want you to stay in Pittsburgh indefinitely."

 

Ben frowned, uncomfortable about where Brian was heading with this. He knew what Brian would want him to do... but he didn't feel right about it. His job was to protect him, and it extended to Gus when they were together. Leaving Brian defenseless in New York wasn't something he wanted to do. "I know what you're thinking, Brian. But for now, it seems you are the target. I really think I should be there with you."

 

Unaware that Justin had awakened and was walking up upon him, Brian snapped, "I don't give a damn about that, Ben. You work for me, remember? If I say you are to stay in Pittsburgh and make sure Taylor isn't plotting to go after my son, then that is what you're going to do. I can always get more guards here if needed."

 

Justin gasped, unable to believe this nightmare was a reality again. His voice began to break when he spoke, "Y-your son? My father is threatening him?"

 

Brian began to curse when he turned to see the horror, and pain in Justin's eyes. "I have to go, Ben. You have your instructions. I want Gus watched 24 hours a day - effective immediately. They need to be aware that my son is under protection. I will expect reports throughout the day. Are we clear on that?"

 

"Yes, Brian. I will make certain I am a visible watchdog so Taylor will know that your son is well protected. I'll be in touch later."

 

"You have to let me go, Brian. That's the only way to end this for your son." Tears were swimming in Justin's eyes. "My father won't give up. He sees your son as a way to get to you... in return getting to me. I need to leave New York - today."

 

Brian instantly realized that reasoning with Justin wouldn't resolve this issue. Justin was prepared to be the sacrificial lamb... and he didn't have the time to deal with that now. Only one thing would effectively neutralize Justin, sadly it was the one thing that would hurt him the most. In the face of keeping both his son and Justin safe, Brian didn't feel he had a choice. A muscle ticking in his cheek, Brian coldly spoke, "You don't have that option any longer, little pet. I own you until our contract is ended. More simply put - until that time is over, you stay precisely where I want you to stay."

 

Determined to remain aloof to the hurt that instantly formed in Justin's beautiful blue eyes, Brian icily continued, "Your only reality is seeing to my desires. It is time you fully accepted that."

 

TBC