- Text Size +

 

"She did what?" Brian exploded, uncaring of how loud he sounded in the tight confines of the precinct waiting area. "What kind of fool signs a murder confession without the benefit of legal representation!?"

 

Ben cast an apologetic look toward the other officers moving around the desks, his firmest hope being that Horvath would call them into his office soon. "Brian, I'd advise you to keep it down. This is a delicate situation... and the department isn't going to allow you to interfere. We are fortunate that you are free to go. Don't make them re-examine that choice!"

 

"I didn't kill Taylor - his wife did!" Brian hissed under his breath. "Now, how long until we can see Horvath? I need to get back to Justin, and my son!"

 

"We are free to leave at any time. In fact, we can go right now if you want..."

 

"No! I'm not leaving until I can speak with Jennifer Taylor. Her son is going to want answers; I'm not leaving here without them." Brian glared at the closed door that he silently willed to open. He couldn't bring this news to Justin with what little he already knew. Justin would be devastated. His father was dead, and at his mother's hand. Brian was doubtful that Craig Taylor's death would faze Justin too much, but the involvement of the mother that he perceived to have abandoned him years ago would carry an impact. Leaving here without some answers wasn't an option.

 

"I doubt they will allow you, a non-family member near Jennifer Taylor - here and now." Ben cast a shrewd look at his friend and employer. "You know, Brian, you seem to care a lot about Justin's feelings. It's not the first time I've noticed it; however, it's growing progressively more apparent."

 

"Are you implying something?" Brian snapped curtly.

 

"It's none of my business really, but it's clear that this kid means something to you. Look at everything you've done not only to have him, but to keep him safe. Take a deep look at that, Brian, and accept what that means." Ben had already determined that Justin Taylor was significant in Brian's life. Everything they were doing now, and back in New York bespoke of that. If it continued to be Brian's decision, and generally things worked out that way, Justin would be around for a very long time. In his reality, that simply meant he had two of them to guard now. Already glimpsing the changes Justin had evoked in Brian - that didn't trouble him at all.

 

"Has it ever occurred to you that I do what I do to keep Justin happy for a very good reason? Think about it. A happy Justin makes for a more accommodating Justin." Brian enforced a bored look on his face, a feeling he never felt when speaking of his hot little blond. "I think we both know that I enjoy him to be both approachable, and enthusiastic. My efforts achieve that much-desired result."

 

Ben snorted. "Tell yourself that if you want, Brian. We both know it's not so. You are falling hard for Justin - if you haven't already. Let's hope you realize this and act on it before the day he decides to walk away from you."

 

"He'll leave when I say he does," Brian snapped, this subject not one he wanted to even think about now. Brian's eyes coldly slid over the man he trusted above all others with his family's safety, his tone brusque when he stated, "I'd suggest you remember your place, Ben. From what I understand... it isn't to pass judgment or advice on my personal affairs."

 

"I'm just trying to help, and I think you know that." He was silenced when Carl Horvath stepped in the doorway of his office, impatiently motioning them forward. As they moved closer, Ben reminded him, "Keep in mind one thing, Brian. The reason for Justin being in New York no longer exists. The largest problem of his troubled past has been resolved. You made his home safe again. Who is to say he won't want to stay?" When Brian only answered with an icy glare, Ben bravely carried on, "Again... something to remember, boss. Isn't it?"

 

Brian shook his head as he preceded Ben into Horvath's office. He didn't want to think about Justin leaving him, whether it be at the end of their agreement, or by staying here in Pittsburgh. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, he couldn't fathom Justin not being around. They had been together for such a short amount of time, and already he was such a large part of his life. What that meant he didn't know; however, what he did know was very clear - he wanted Justin to remain with him. Brian was determined to hold onto their arrangement until it was no longer possible. At the end of that time - if he still felt the same; he would find a way to get Justin to stay. Right now, nothing else would be acceptable.

 


 

Barely glancing at the guard outside of his hotel suite, Brian brusquely asked, "Any problems?"

 

"Not one, Mr. Kinney. From all the laughter I heard coming from you son, I would guess they were having a good time."

 

"Good." Brian pulled an envelope from his pocket, a substantial roll of cash inside. Extending it to the guard, he thanked him, fully aware that he would have paid any price to keep the two men just past this door safe from all harm. "Thank you. I think Ben can handle everything from here on out."

 

Having the good taste not to look inside the full envelope, the guard nodded in understanding. "It was a pleasure, Mr. Kinney. Feel free to contact me should the need arise."

 

"I'm hoping that it won't, but thank you all the same." Inserting his key card into the slot, Brian slowly stepped inside. Despite being relieved that Craig Taylor no longer existed to plague Justin, and his own life, delivering this news wouldn't be easy. Justin had lost once again. Relaying that would be difficult. He smiled tightly as the very same blond came rushing toward him, relief more than evident in his eyes. "Where's Gus?" Brian asked huskily.

 

"Debbie took him into the smaller bedroom and is settling him down for a nap. The poor little guy has had an eventful day." Justin smiled fondly as he spoke of Brian's son. It amazed him at how quickly he had taken to Gus. His interaction with children had been very limited; however, for some reason, this little guy had really touched his heart.

 

Ben felt like the proverbial third wheel as he stood next to Brian. There wasn't a doubt that Brian would want to be alone for this talk. "I'll just go speak with Michael." Looking at Brian inquisitively for a moment, he then said, "I'm sure you'll be wanting to stop in to see Lindsay today too? She's probably frantic with worry."

 

"She brought this on herself when she hooked up with that viper." Brian's nostrils flared as he thought of the danger Melanie had placed his son in - whether intended or not. "Yes, we'll go see her in a bit. I need to set up some ground rules. I'll come and find you when I'm finished."

 

Justin watched wide-eyed as Ben left the room without another word. The mutual respect they held for each other was more than apparent to him. As ruthless as Brian could be, Justin thought that spoke highly of Brian's character. There was more to Brian Kinney than met the eye. If he hadn't known that back in New York, he certainly did now after seeing the love he felt for his son. A man with such a capacity to love had to have much good inside; it was merely a matter of discovery. Slowly, he felt like he was catching glimpses of each vital layer.

 

Brian's lips rolled under as he viewed the beautiful blond that he cared entirely too much about. He had known Ben's words to be true when he had spoken them. The unthinkable was happening. Brian Kinney, the eternal loner, was becoming attached to another man. For the first time in his life, he felt vulnerable. He didn't like that feeling at all. Now, finding a way to balance those feelings, and still have what he wanted on his terms, would prove to be the challenge. He always succeeded in his goals; Brian was determined this one would be exactly the same. "Let's go into the bedroom. I don't want us to be disturbed."

 

Tension emanated all around the man that always purported himself to be in such control. He followed in the direction Brian walked, uncertainty and worry in his eyes. Once they were inside, Brian closed the door behind them, his legs taking him over to the bed, where he sat down on it with eyes bleakly facing ahead. "B-Brian? What happened? You are different from when you left here. Something went very wrong." Justin moved to Brian's side, sitting next to the clearly perturbed brunet, his eyes fully on the man that obviously had something important to say, and yet, was hesitant in doing so. "Just tell me, Brian. It can't be that bad. You're back safely. That was my primary concern."

 

"Nothing went as planned, Justin. Absolutely nothing," Brian whispered hollowly. He had been fine with what had happened. Fine until he came back to Justin. Telling Justin of his mother's impending fate, and her part in killing his father wouldn't be easy. However, it was something he had to do. "I can put you at ease, though. Your father will no longer threaten you. He's dead now."

 

"D-dead? How?" Justin's eyes were wide with worry, his predominant concern not that his father had been killed, but that Brian could pay the consequences for the act, whether in self-defense or not. "How much trouble are you in, Brian?"

 

Brian snorted. "Such confidence you have in my ability to maintain control."

 

"Please... no attempts at dry humor, or omissions. Just tell me what happened!" Guilt immediately assailed him that he didn't feel any remorse at his father's passing. The abuse at his hands had been too immense. A parent or not, his father had been dead to him long ago. Sadly, that was a fact that had been driven home, beating after beating, many years past.

 

"Our meeting was going as expected. We began with threats mutually going back and forth. I had to behave due to the fact of Ben having us supervised from a distance by the police - even if unofficially." He turned his head to look at Justin head-on. "It was unnecessary since your father had another enemy that took control of the entire encounter."

 

Justin laughed derisively. "Well, that doesn't surprise me. They should give him a medal of honor!"

 

Brian was slightly taken aback by the ease with which Justin was taking his father's murder. He could only think that the reality hadn't completely set in; then again, Justin was abused by his own father - physically and mentally. This could simply be the closing chapter of what had been the most horrific of books for the sensitive young man. "Actually, it was a her." When Justin looked at him in surprise, Brian decided coming out with it quickly would be the best all-around. "It was your mother, Justin. She returned to make things right for you. In fact, I have the feeling she has been working toward doing that since the day she left."

 

"No!" Justin jumped up from the bed, his footsteps taking him quickly away from Brian, and over to the window to stare blindly into the murky distance. "She abandoned me. It couldn't have been her." Justin pivoted around to stare at Brian with tears flickering in his eyes. "You are mistaken."

 

Forcing himself to remain at a distance, knowing Justin needed to work through this on his own, Brian kept concerned eyes on his blond, prepared to go to him if necessary, but in the meantime, determined to give him some space. That wasn't an easy thing for him to do. "I don't have all the details. I didn't get to speak with her personally, after the fact. However, she would like to see you. That is, if you want to see her..."

 

"I'm telling you - it's not her! She left years ago. My father told me it was all my fault. He said that she hated me, and couldn't bear to be attached to such a weak son. Then, he kicked up his 'make a man' of Justin plan!" Justin spat the words out bitterly, hatred swelling in him for his deceased father. He hated his mother just as intensely for leaving him alone and defenseless. Not to mention how he hated her for not loving him enough to accept him.

 

Brian stood from the bed, uncertain if he would need to shake some sense into the rebellious young man. "Think about this, Justin. If he abused you so savagely - what do you think he did to her? If you don't want to be a part of her life, hell, that's fine by me. However, I think you owe it to yourself to find out more. I have a feeling you might be surprised at what you learn."

 

"Fine... I'll go see this woman, but don't expect me to call her mother - whether she is or not." He gnawed at his bottom lip, as his eyes stared almost desperately into Brian's. "She's in jail. Isn't she?"

 

Nodding, Brian spoke the words that he had dreaded most of all - "She made a full confession at the station before I could stop her. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do for her, although I promise I will hire the best criminal defense lawyer available." When tears began to fall down the cheeks of Justin's face, Brian knew the full awareness was hitting his lover. He couldn't keep his distance any longer. Pulling Justin tightly against his chest, Brian whispered fervently against his brow, "I promised you I would protect you. That is unlimited. You will get through this, Justin Taylor... and you will be all the stronger for it. I swear that to you."

 

TBC