- Text Size +

 

Justin paced in the large suite; he didn't know what to do. The more sensible part of him screamed at him to call Brian. There wasn't a doubt he would know what to do, but what if Gary found out? Could he really get to them that easily? Gary had never seemed that powerful to him back in New York, in his mind, he had only been more of a menacing bully. However, a man as twisted as Gary Sapperstein would have connections. He didn't doubt he could find someone to carry out his vile plans.

 

He couldn't pack a bag. Slipping past the guard stationed at his door would be difficult enough... doing so while carrying luggage would be impossible. His steps moving even more frantically, back and forth, across the thick carpet, Justin couldn't believe he was actually considering Gary's ultimatum. He was really going to sneak out of here and walk directly into a trap that he knew would once again place him helplessly under Gary's control. The roles had changed to a certain degree, but the end result was still the same. Being financially secure didn't change the fact that Gary Sapperstein had leverage over him still, only this time it was more solid. Now, it centered around his desire to keep the people he loved safe. He knew that Brian could take care of himself, but little Gus - that was another matter. If there was anything he could do to protect Brian's son... he knew he had to do it.

 

Reaching into his pocket, Justin began to compose a text message. He wouldn't send it until he was safely at the airport, but he had to let Brian know he was okay... and that he was doing what he had to do. This could spell the end of their relationship, but more than anything, he hoped that wasn't the case. However, it was a reality he had to consider. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Brian would come after him. Letting him do this on his own just wasn't Brian's way. The only way that would be avoided is if Brian believed he had left him because he no longer wanted to be with him. He wished he had a way of convincing Brian of that; well, one part of him wished that. Justin decided his acting skills weren't good enough to achieve that. Brian knew him entirely too well. His only hope was in making Brian understand this was how things needed to be. As aware as he was of Brian's protective instincts for his son, he didn't delude himself into thinking Brian would be that understanding. Right now, that didn't matter. Protecting Gus was all that mattered.

 

By the time you get this, I'll be on my way to New York. I have to do this, Brian. I hope you understand that. I can't let you keep taking all the risks. It's time I took some too. Take care of Gus. He's what matters the most. I hope we'll be together again. Never forget how much I care about you - both of you...

 

Justin saved the message as a draft, barely looking at the buttons he pushed, quickly pocketing his phone before moving to the door to make what he hoped to be a speedy, and unhindered escape. Seeing the anxious look on the guard's face, Justin initially tried to reassure him. "Uhhh, I'm going to join Gus and Ben at the pool. I can't stand being here alone..."

 

"Understandable, Sir." He looked at Justin's attire, a frown piercing his brow. "Aren't you forgetting your swimwear, Mr. Taylor?"

 

Looking down, knowing how much he sucked at lying, Justin said, "Oh, well, I have my trunks on underneath. I know Ben took plenty of towels for him and Gus."

 

He continued to eye the young man suspiciously, thinking to himself how difficult the younger generation always made his work. They couldn't stay in one place for long. Realizing the generous fee Mr. Kinney was paying him to see to the safety of his loved ones, he decided such disturbances shouldn't be so much of a sacrifice. "Very well, Sir. I'll come with you."

 

"No!" Justin protested, biting his lip when he realized he had sounded far too anxious. "I- I mean, aren't you supposed to stay at the door? I wouldn't want you to get in trouble."

 

"I'll take my chances, Mr. Taylor. And I think Mr. Kinney cares a bit more about me protecting the people that are staying in this room, than the actual room itself." Watching Justin patiently, he asked him, "Are you ready to go now?"

 

Justin sighed, nodding his head in response. Perhaps this was a sign that running wasn't the right thing to do. Another thought came to mind. Ben. He would know what to do. There was one thing he knew with the utmost certainty - Ben Bruckner was fiercely loyal to both Brian and his young son. He would do whatever kept them safe. It was unlikely that Ben would agree that Justin going to Gary was the right thing to do, but if it was the only way to protect Brian and Gus, he just might. Seeing how his escape from his private security wasn't happening right now, appealing to Ben was his only chance. "Yeah. I'm ready."

 

As he preceded the alert guard into the elevator, Justin hoped he was ready. He had to convince Ben that letting him go was in the best interest of his employer's well-being, whether his boss agreed with that or not. No matter how he went about this vital discussion, Justin knew one thing - it wasn't going to be easy.

 


 

Brian smiled as he snatched the cell phone from Kip's hand, viciously he smashed it against the pavement, watching as it shattered into dozens of pieces. "Oh no. It appears that I've destroyed your phone." Brian's face looked anything but remorseful. "I do hope that call wasn't too important."

 

"Have your fun, Kinney. While you waste time here with me, Gary is working on Justin." He snickered as uncertainty flashed across Brian's face. "It appears my distracting presence was very effective. Perhaps Gary is the smarter man."

 

"Sapperstein is a bigger fool than you if he even attempts to contact Justin." Brian's nostrils flared as he was filled with sudden apprehension. Could Sapperstein be here? They had been watching for him. Surely he couldn't arrive undetected. Opening his phone, a frown pierced his brow when he read a text message from Justin. Why hadn't he heard the alert? He read the cryptic message, explicit profanities erupting from him.

 

Kip laughed, not seeing the group of men approaching from the other end of the alley, his attention rapt on Brian Kinney's world beginning to fall apart. "Awww, it seems someone got some bad news. I wouldn't worry about your precious Justin being neglected, though. I'm sure Gary will have his hands on him soon..."

 

"I wish I had the time to finish you myself..." Brian hissed. "As it is - I have bigger fish to fry." He smiled tightly. "It's been a pleasure, Kip. Knowing how your day will end will be even more of one..." Brian nodded to the approaching men, his eyes meeting one man in particular. Even though this was to even out a debt owed to him, Brian felt compensation was in order. He pulled out a money clip that was securing a thick wad of bills. Extending it into the other man's hands, Brian told him, "Our debt is now paid... and here's a little bonus for your trouble."

 

"Thank you." Vinnie didn't speak Brian's name in front of his men. There wasn't any need, and it was a form of respect not to divulge anything that would connect Brian to the impending crime later. "This vermin won't cause you any further grief."

 

Brian didn't smile, nor acknowledge the avowal. He walked away, not really wanting to be a full party of what would happen next. As ruthless as he had always been, he had never gone this far. He didn't feel quite right about it... however, protecting Justin and Gus was all that mattered now. He didn't trust the wheels of justice here. To his way of thinking, this was the only way to be certain of their safety.

 

As he walked away, Brian was about to call Justin, when the phone began to ring, but not from his lover. It was Ben. That in itself was enough reason for alarm. Ben knew what he was doing now; he wouldn't interrupt without good cause. Taking a deep breath, Brian snapped into the phone, "Tell me that you're with Justin and that he is not gone."

 

Ben walked further away from the pool, nodding to the guard briefly. He covered the mouthpiece when he spoke, "This will just take a minute. Keep an eye on both of them."

 

"Is there a problem, Ben?" Brian growled, Ben's delay and orders to the guard not being missed by him.

 

"Yes." Ben tried to figure out the best way to divulge what Justin had only moments ago confided to him. He couldn't think of an easy way to say any of it. Brian's temper would be explosive and with good reason. He just hoped he could neutralize it. "Justin called Sapperstein."

 

Brian's steps became sharper, his eyes filled with ice, when he spoke, "He did what?"

 

"Apparently, he felt he needed to take a more active role in what was happening... and that he was the only one that could end it. If not for a very alert guard, Justin would be en route to New York right now. Sapperstein threatened Justin with Gus' safety if he didn't comply. Justin would have walked right into his trap."

 

His free hand clenching into one fist after another at his side, Brian's eyes became wild with rage. Had anyone looked into them, they would have seen the murderous intent blazing in them. "I will finish this today. There will be no more traps for the Sap to spring."

 

Ben swallowed, his eyes watching Gus and Justin at the pool, when he warily asked, "What are you going to do?"

 

"What I should have done before we left New York!" Brian hissed, barely able to keep his voice low enough not to be overheard by those passing him on the sidewalk.

 

"Brian... think this through. You have too much to lose now. Don't risk your life for the worthless Gary Sapperstein."

 

Brian snorted derisively. "I'm not risking anything; sometimes, I think you forget who I am, Benjamin."

 

"No, Brian. I don't ever forget. However, I have seen how much you have changed since Justin came into your life. Losing him would be devastating to you now. I'd hate to see you go through that."

 

"I won't lose him, Ben." Brian glanced at his watch, quickly checking the time. "I want you to remain in a group. Have Michael and Debbie stay with you and Gus. I want Justin and Gus under constant supervision until I return."

 

Ben's eyes closed before reopening them. "Return?"

 

"Yes. Justin won't be on that plane to New York, but I will be. Sapperstein will never threaten Justin or anyone I care about again." A cold smile of anticipation curved Brian's lips as he thought of the trap he would set for the repugnant man. Sapperstein had committed so many atrocities against Justin that he intended to see him avenged. Unlike Kip's ending, he would watch and participate in the fall of Gary Sapperstein.

 

He had always known this day would come for him and the Sap; only one variable had been altered. No longer was it simply revenge. Now, it was a matter of justice. In the end, both would be served, and the two men he loved would be safe again. And that was all that truly mattered.

 

TBC