- Text Size +

 

Ben's voice was more than slightly anxious as he spoke into the phone. He had no idea what Brian was facing in New York, but taking Justin anywhere until the issue with Sapperstein was resolved wasn't something Brian would sanction. "Brian, I'm glad I caught you. Uhhh, it's not a bad time, is it?"

 

His eyes narrowed on the tension in Ben's voice. Something was wrong. "Everything is fine; I'm actually about to catch a flight back to Pittsburgh."

 

"So soon?" Ben had momentarily forgotten about the reason behind his call - and that wasn't something to happen easily.

 

Brian smirked. "I had a plan that couldn't fail; I'll explain it in full when I get back. Suffice it to say - Justin's troubles with Sapperstein are now over."

 

"That's wonderful, Brian." Ben's face broke into a bright, exuberant smile, relief falling from his shoulders almost instantly. "Should I tell Justin anything?"

 

"Just tell him that it's over and that I'll be there tonight." Brian thought of the rings that were a solid weight in his pocket, unable to believe how anxious he was to share them with him. "I have a favor to ask..."

 

Ben laughed. The dark cloud was lifted from Justin at long last; there wasn't a doubt in his mind what Brian wanted. "You want me and Michael to take care of Gus tonight?"

 

"If it's not too much to ask." Brian frowned as he thought about it. "You haven't had any time off on this 'supposed' vacation you initially took to Pittsburgh. If you don't want to do it, I will understand."

 

"Don't say another word, Bri. Consider it done." Ben bit his lip thoughtfully, thinking this might be the time to approach the subject - when Brian was in such a good mood. "I was thinking maybe Lindsay could spend some time with Gus - supervised, of course. What if I take Gus over to Debbie's, and we invite her for dinner. Would you have a problem with that?"

 

A muscle ticked in Brian's cheek. Yeah, he still had issues with Lindsay... big ones. But he knew he had to relent at times. And with Ben around, he didn't worry as much. No matter how happy Gus seemed to be with him and Justin, he knew he missed his mom too. There were times he would see that sadness in his eyes. It was fleeting, but it existed. In some capacity or another, Gus did need his mother in his life. "I think I'll always have problems with Lindsay, but as long as you are there, I won't object. Just make sure she and Gus are always in your sights."

 

"Not a problem, Brian. I won't stray far from them. This will mean a lot to Gus." Suddenly, he remembered the reason for his call. The end of Sapperstein had pushed everything else out of his mind. "The reason I called was that Jennifer's lawyer called, and they wanted Justin to come to the judge's chambers for a meeting with the prosecuting attorney, and the judge."

 

Brian frowned. "That's odd. A trial date hasn't even been set. With it being an election year, the prosecutor isn't wanting a front-page story backfiring on him. This could be very good news."

 

"I think Jennifer's lawyer has been applying a bit of pressure to settle, and it just might pay off. They want to set this up immediately - before the weekend. I didn't want to take Justin unless you thought it was safe; however, if you want to be there, we could postpone as well."

 

Barely able to hear over the pages for his flight being announced, Brian told him, "It's time for me to board, but go ahead and take Justin to the meeting. It might not be wise to let them have second thoughts..." As he ended the call and boarded his flight, Brian thought this could turn out to be the most perfect of days.

 


 

Justin could barely breathe as they slid into the back of the limousine, the driver heading back in the direction of the hotel. "I can't believe it, Ben. My mom is actually going to go free... and without a trial. It's unbelievable."

 

"Your mother has a damned good lawyer. He pushed the prosecutor hard on this. Your mom was a former victim of domestic violence, and you were as well. I think he was mostly worried about your testimony corroborating that. Being up for re-election, he comes out of it looking like a hero. Not only did he save the taxpayers money by not prosecuting a woman that would have clearly been acquitted on temporary insanity, but he also won the female vote. It's a win for him."

 

Scrunching up his nose, Justin muttered, "I hate politicians, but in this case, it worked for us."

 

"That it did." Ben smiled at Justin warmly. "This has been a good day for you, and Brian should be back within the hour."

 

"Did he say what happened to Gary? I can't believe it's over..."

 

"No. He didn't say. When I talked to him, he was about to get on his plane. There really wasn't any time. However... he did state that he had special plans for the two of you tonight. I will be taking Gus out for the evening..." Ben had a slight inkling of what those plans could entail, at least he hoped he was right. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Brian loved Justin. He couldn't think of anything better than the two of them settling down together.

 

Justin bit his lip anxiously. "He's going to yell at me. I was so stupid to call Gary. It could have been a disaster..."

 

"It could have been, but you did the right thing in the end. I'm sure Brian will remember that..." Ben averted his gaze, unable to say that last part with a straight face. He knew Brian too well. A lecture would definitely be coming Justin's way.

 

"I hope so..." Justin was silent for the rest of the ride, his mind filled with all that had happened today. First, he'd found out that Gary was no longer a threat, and now, his mom was free to return to living her life. What that meant for him and his mom he wasn't sure. Despite what she had done to save his life, and his efforts to save her from prison, so much time had passed between them. She had abandoned him at a time when he needed her most; he wasn't sure they could come back from that.

 

Ben patted Justin soothingly on the leg, his smile was warm and genuine. "I wouldn't worry too much, Justin. It's hard to explain since you didn't know him before, but you've managed the impossible. You tamed the beast. He might grumble for a bit; in fact, I'm sure he will, but you've got him all wrapped up. All you have to do is reel him in."

 

Justin beamed. "I intend to do that, Ben, because there isn't anything I want more than that..."

 


 

Brian closed the suite door behind him, a scowl on his face as he stared at Justin staring down at the depressing Pittsburgh view. Why did the boy stare at it so much? He surely didn't like this pathetic little berg. How could he? Then, he remembered Justin's actions this morning. He was probably nervous about facing the lion. He had good reason to be. Justin had been prepared to risk his life, a risk that had been unnecessary. He couldn't let that go without discussion. They needed to firmly establish that he would never take such a chance again. A lump settled in his throat when he thought of all the things that could have happened. If not for the guard, and mostly Ben, he could have lost him. Fuck. He couldn't bear to even think about it.

 

Moving closer, Brian slipped unobtrusively behind him. He wrapped his arms around his waist, his lips nuzzling into the neck that turned eagerly into him. "My sacrificial little lamb..." Brian purred, his hands tightening around Justin's waist, for the moment, just relishing the feel of him back in his arms again. "You are so lucky I have an alert staff. I can't believe you would have considered going to him! I just don't get what you were thinking!"

 

Justin spun around, his eyes urgently seeking Brian's; astoundingly, he didn't see censure in them. What did surprise him was the level of anxiety in them - it was the look of true anguish. Justin had to look away; seeing such stark pain in this controlling man wasn't something that came easy to him. "B-Brian... I never meant to distress you in any way. I'm not sure what I was thinking, I only know that Gary scared the hell out of me - and not just for me, but for Gus as well."

 

Brian inhaled deeply, his hands reaching up to frame Justin's face in his hands. "Look at me, Justin." He waited for those soulful eyes to affix attentively to him. "Have I ever given you cause to think that I can't take care of both you... and my son?" Watching as Justin's head shook back and forth, Brian's eyes moved fervently over Justin's face, his expression remaining stern, while a part of him only wanted to pull him close and tell him how worried he had been. "This can't happen again. The Sap might be a thing of the past, but there's always going to be an enemy somewhere."

 

"I'll remember... I just wanted to help." Justin's bottom lip pushed out in a semblance of a pout, his voice almost petulant when he spoke, "I got tired of you taking all the risks; ones that were mine to take. I wanted to make a difference too!"

 

Sighing deeply, Brian wrapped his arms around Justin's waist, moving to pull him tightly against him. "Sentimental little twat. What am I going to do with you?"

 

Justin sniffled in Brian's arms. It had been such a traumatic visit to Pittsburgh. He was more than ready to go home, and back to what he hoped to be a life with Brian. More than anything, he wanted to put this all behind him. He only hoped that Brian wanted that too. "I just want to go home. Do you think we can do that soon?"

 

"Anytime you want." Brian placed a lingering kiss along the side of Justin's neck. "It sounds as if our business is complete here. Ben told me the news about your mom. That is surprising and wonderful."

 

Pulling back, Justin smiled brightly at his much-beloved lover. "It's great, and I have you to thank for that too. It's hysterical really, but you've saved my life completely. After how we started, it's nothing short of amazing."

 

"Speaking of - how about you come over to the sofa? I'd like to talk to you about something important." At Justin's befuddled, and slightly worried expression. "I hope it will be something you want. On all counts - it will change our lives."

 

"Okay..." Justin answered apprehensively, allowing Brian to tug him over to the sofa. He sat down next to Brian who was clearly anxious, the concern suddenly transforming his previously content expression. "Is there something wrong?"

 

Brian smiled at Justin, his lips rolling under as he thought of how to say what he had never thought to say to another man. "I'm not sure where, or how to start. This is all quite foreign for me."

 

"Well, they say the beginning is always a good place..."

 

"That it is," Brian agreed. "The beginning. That was certainly a long time ago; I never expected how much our lives could change in such a short amount of time."

 

Justin laughed. "Me either. I thought you were an ass, but I was desperate... and well, you are hot."

 

"Of course I am." Brian quirked a brow. "To both - if there was ever any doubt."

 

Snorting, Justin responded, "There wasn't."

 

"Seriously, though, I feel like we've been together for a lifetime." A warm, fervent expression filled Brian's face. "Our previous arrangement was just a 'getting to know you' stage; I can see that now. I had never gone so far as to get a man. Failure wasn't ever an option. However, now..."

 

"Now?" Justin prodded, his heart hoping this was leading where he most hoped, yet, his head warning him that was too much to wish for.

 

Brian took a deep breath; he released it just as quickly. "I never thought to say this to another man, but I need to tell you exactly how I feel, and where I hope we go on from there."

 

"I'm listening..." Justin told him, wishing he could keep his heart from shining in his eyes, but knowing how he looked at Brian now, that was the next thing to impossible.

 

"Don't expect me to say these words often, saying them now is difficult enough." Brian looked directly into Justin's attentive eyes, his own filling with all the love and desire he was feeling for the young man. "I love you, Justin. I think I've loved you for far longer than I know." Brian reached into his pocket, his hand slightly shook when he withdrew the velvet boxes that held what he hoped to be the symbol of their future together. "I'm hoping you feel the same, and would like to take a more permanent step to bind our lives together."

 

Justin gasped as Brian opened the box. Tears began to shimmer in his eyes as the magnitude of Brian's words assailed him. This couldn't be real; it had to be the most perfect of dreams. It just had to be a dream! "Are you saying what I think you are?"

 

Brian nodded, his free hand reaching to clasp Justin's tightly in his own. "Yes. I love you, Justin, and I want us to return to New York as partners, but after our return, I want us to be married." His eyes intently searching Justin's beautiful blue eyes, Brian urgently asked, "Will you marry me, Justin?"

 

Beginning to giggle uncontrollably, unable to believe this was happening, Justin flung his arms around Brian's neck, tears of happiness streaming down his face. "Yes, yes, and undoubtedly yes! I will marry you, Brian Kinney." He pulled back to place kisses all over Brian's face, his face shining from the wetness, and complete joy he now felt. "I want that more than anything..."

 

"Good..." Brian whispered, a slight catch in his voice, suddenly realizing he was holding his breath as he awaited Justin's answer. "I don't want a long engagement; however, I want it to be so I can be tested before our wedding night. I'm not concerned about the results, but I want to come to you completely clean."

 

His eyes widening, not a doubt in his mind about Brian's intentions. "Do you mean that? You - Brian Kinney - are fully prepared to enter into a monogamous relationship!?"

 

"I know. It's quite unthinkable, isn't it?" Brian smirked. "Yes, Justin. That's what I want. I haven't been able to look at a man since I met you; I don't want anyone else. Fucking you raw is something I've always fantasized about; on our wedding night, it will become a reality."

 

Justin placed a considering look on his face. "Hmmm. Our wedding night. You aren't saying you plan on abstaining until then?"

 

"You may have tamed a portion of the beast that lives within me, but let's not be ridiculous. I plan on fucking your hot little ass tonight; in fact, I plan on fucking you - all night long."

 

"Well then, Mr. Kinney... my future husband to be, let's get on with it..." Justin purred, his eyes smoky and melting under Brian's intense stare. Justin's smile was dreamy as he watched Brian's mouth moving closer. Before their lips could touch, Justin released a heartfelt sigh. "I love you so much, Brian."

 

Brian's lips tenderly captured Justin's, his tongue sweeping along them, not attempting to move inside until Justin parted his lips to grant him access. "I know you do," Brian told him, his mouth suddenly opening up to swallow Justin's uneven gasps, his lips moving in a smothering motion over the ones of the man he adored. Tomorrow, they would go home and begin planning the rest of their life together.

 

He had never perceived a reality where he would so eagerly yearn for a committed relationship, and yet, that was exactly how he was feeling now. Waiting for the time to pass to slide the ring onto Justin's finger would seem interminable, but he knew they would have much to do to pass the time. All that mattered was that they had a future together. It was a celebrated future that he approached with open arms. Brian didn't doubt that Justin felt exactly the same.

 

TBC