- Text Size +

 

Justin slumped down on the couch, one of the few pieces of furniture in the dingy apartment; his eyes stared straight ahead... he saw nothing. Dismay and fear were with him again. In fact, if he was to be completely honest with himself, they had always been with him. A part of him wondered if the events of today hadn't been the best possible ending for him. Perhaps it was time to move on. Granted, the money in his pocket wouldn't sustain him for more than a few days... a week if he was really lucky, but hadn't that been the case when he'd ran away from home over four years ago? He had lost his job, not that it was much of one... but it had been keeping the roof over his head and an adequate amount of food in his stomach. Now, with less than a week until his half of the rent was due again, he wouldn't have an income to pay his part.

 

He groaned when he heard a sound from the kitchen. His roommate was home. Hell. He hadn't wanted to deal with Kip right now. There wasn't a doubt in his mind what Kip would tell him to do. They both worked for Sapperstein; it had been Gary that had introduced him to Kip, leading up to them becoming roommates. It had been an arrangement that worked out for the most part. Kip always told him he needed to play Gary's game; roll with the punches was his favorite figure of speech. Justin could have thought about it if Gary wasn't so repugnant to him. That one-time blowjob had nearly induced him into vomiting; as it was, it surely made him nauseous for a long time afterward. He could remember all the efforts he had taken to get the taste of that man out of his mouth. It had taken a great deal of doing. In the aftermath, Justin vowed to never place himself in that position again.

 

Gary had backed off after Justin had repeatedly rejected his advances; Justin now realized Gary had just been biding his time. He was holding off for good reason. It wasn't because he wanted Justin to adjust to the thought of being with the older, and repulsive man... it had been to set the stage, along with preparing him for one of Gary's elaborate parties. Justin had heard enough about those gatherings. He knew that these so-called friends paid Gary well for the privilege of enjoying fresh meat. Drugs were always heavily involved. Gary wasn't averse to using drugs to ensure the cooperation of his entertainment. There wasn't a doubt that he had been Gary's next victim of choice. Regardless of the well-timed interruption by the mesmerizing man he'd met today, Gary had reached his limit.

 

Kip sauntered in and plopped next to him on the couch, his eyes giving his roommate an appreciative once-over. "Looking good there, Hot Stuff." He winked at him as he raised a bottle of beer to his lips. "So, how did it go with Gary?"

 

Justin shrugged, subconsciously withdrawing into himself. He really didn't like Kip, but he got along with him well enough. Kip had tried to start something with him on a few occasions, and he'd almost went for it once... but it had all changed when Kip had revealed a secret in his drug and alcohol-induced state - ‘God, I wish I could fuck you... but I promised Gary I wouldn't.' Justin had been reeling in shock. Kip had promised Gary he wouldn't touch him? Gary had been the one who set them up to be roommates. That promise signified that even in the beginning, Gary had special plans for him. Plans that were so diabolical and revolting that he would need to ease him into them. "I really don't want to talk about it."

 

"Yeah well, Gary just called." Kip had a conniving look on his face when he added, "It seems Gary has a lot to talk to you about. In fact... he's on his way over here right now."

 

"What!?" Justin shrieked in panic as he jumped up from the couch. "Fuck! How long ago was that?"

 

Kip laughed. He thought that would get his roommate's attention. "Relax. I was just fucking with you. He just wants you to call him."

 

Justin eyed him warily. He didn't trust him for a single minute. "Are you sure he's not coming over here?"

 

"Would it matter? It's not like he hasn't stopped over before..."

 

"Actually, it would." Justin took in a deep breath, before he released it just as quickly. "I just fucking quit. I don't work for Gary Sapperstein anymore."

 

Kip looked at Justin as if he'd just grown two heads. "Are you fucking crazy, Justin? How are you going to eat... more importantly - how are you going to pay your half of the fucking rent??"

 

"I'll figure it out!" Justin stood up from the couch; he reached for his backpack that he never traveled without, then slinging it over his shoulder, he all but ran to the door. He didn't trust Kip. They had co-existed reasonably well until now, partly because he had a lock on his bedroom door... but now he was anxious about his roommate's behavior. He needed to think this through.

 

"Where are you going? We need to talk about this!!" Kip demanded, standing up to approach Justin, his hand reaching to latch onto the retreating blond's arm.

 

Justin flung Kip's restraining hand off angrily... Kip's determination to keep him here only alarming him more. "I need to go out." He looked up to see what was clearly panic in Kip's eyes. Kip had originally spoken the truth. Gary was on the way over here... and that made his options even more clear. He could either accept Gary's repulsive conditions, or he could strike back out on his own. In his opinion, it wasn't much of an option. There was no way he would be Gary Sapperstein's mindless little bitch. Fuck that! "Tell Gary to go fuck himself! You can be one of his whores - but not me!"

 

"You're a fool, Justin!" Kip shouted as Justin slipped out into the hallway. "If not his bitch, you'll be someone else's. You can't do anything else!"

 

He flinched as those words hit his back, saddened that Kip probably spoke the truth. As he stepped out onto the bustling sidewalk, Justin swallowed back bitter tears of his inescapable reality. Once again he was alone. He would survive. Just as he had four years ago. No matter what he had to do - Gary Sapperstein would not be his ultimate defeat. He just had to figure out what to do next.

 


 

Brian hugged his son tightly before letting him go into his mother's arms. "I would have flown him back myself. You didn't need to fly here."

 

"I didn't mind. Mel and I wanted to do some shopping; we arrived yesterday. It looks by the checked baggage that Gus didn't have on arrival - and the beaming smile on his face - the two of you had a good time."

 

Gus didn't give his dad a chance to answer. He jumped up and down gleefully, before he told his mom, "Daddy took me on a ride through Central Park. It was on real horses, Mommy! I even got to pet them."

 

She raised a brow, looking at Brian in surprise, before she smiled down at her son. "That's wonderful, Sweetheart. I'm so glad you and Daddy had such a nice time."

 

"We did, we did. I can't wait to come and see him again..." Gus exuberantly announced.

 

Melanie arrived at that point, her eyes rolling before she knelt down to Gus' level. "It's great that you had fun with Daddy... but don't plan on another trip too soon. School is starting soon... and your daddy might not be able to fit a visit in so easily into his schedule next time."

 

Lindsay mentally groaned. Oh God, Mel didn't go there. She looked down quickly to avert her gaze from the rage simmering in Brian's eyes. He wasn't going to let it go. Not this time. "Uhhh, I think they called us to board." Lindsay motioned Gus toward Brian. "Say goodbye to your daddy."

 

Brian was hugging his son when he heard Melanie's cutting voice behind him - "Wish I could do the same..."

 

"Mel!" Lindsay muttered under her breath.

 

Stepping back and taking one last look at his son, Brian's eyes bored into Melanie as he instructed Lindsay. "Take Gus onto the plane. I'd like a few words with his other mommy."

 

"Brian... not now, please," Lindsay attempted, only to be promptly cut off before she could say anything more.

 

"It will only take a minute." Brian's eyes flickered a scathing look over Melanie. "That should be more than enough time."

 

Lindsay sighed. There was nothing to stop Brian in this zone. "Okay. We'll call you when we get back home."

 

Brian reached down and ruffled his son's hair, a rare genuine smile touching his lips. "Daddy had a great time this week. Maybe next time I can come to Pittsburgh." He inwardly shuddered at the thought... but for his son, he supposed he could lower his standards.

 

"Really, Daddy? Really?" Gus began shouting in his excitement, the other boarding passengers looking on in amusement.

 

Lindsay gave Brian one of her disbelieving looks, yet didn't say a word. She connected her eyes with her partner just in time to prevent Melanie from what was bound to be a cutting retort. "Please..." she hissed beneath her breath.

 

Brian's eyes slid briefly from one woman to the other, forcing himself to retain control. Melanie always brought out the worst in him. He wasn't about to succumb in front of his son. His eyes pulling back to his expectant son, Brian answered, "Yes, Sonnyboy. I'll see what I can do." Brian hugged his son one last time, before forcing himself to pull back and allow Lindsay to take him to the plane. He hated these goodbyes. If not for all the traveling he did on a regular basis, he would have sought to change their custodial arrangement long ago.

 

"That's real smooth, Brian. Get Gus' hopes up that you will squeeze in a trip to Pittsburgh. One we both know you'll never make... and then we have to pick up the pieces of his broken heart." Melanie openly sneered at the man she detested, uncaring of how many risks she faced in doing so.

 

He lowered his voice, when he spat out, "Listen here, Bitch - if I told my son I would try to visit Pittsburgh, that is exactly what I will do! Your constant undermining of me to Gus is going to stop."

 

"Or what, Brian?" Melanie's stance and tone equated to pure challenge. "I'm not one of your minions or one of your brainless clients. I'm not afraid of you!"

 

"Perhaps you should be..." Brian's voice was filled with menace. He was done with this viper. The only thing that had kept him silent the past five years was that he wasn't in the position to have a child with him 24/7; in addition to the fact that he knew both Lindsay and Melanie loved Gus and cared for him as well as any child could be - that being the case, he didn't push for more parental rights. Melanie consistently challenged that decision. "Let's be honest here. You don't like me... and I sure as fuck don't like you. We have a common interest and that's Gus. Each of us needs to get over the rest and think of him."

 

Melanie's lips twisted as she listened to him. "Wow, I'm impressed. That sounded like an actual adult thought process; not one brought about from the urgings of your dick."

 

Brian raised his hands in aggravation, unknowingly drawing the attention of Ben who watched from nearby. He raised his head when he noticed him approaching, waving him off when he was closer. "I'm done with you." He heard the final boarding call and knew he needed to end this; as it was, it was going nowhere. "I will only tell you this one time, Melanie. If you keep badmouthing me to my son, you will regret it. I've given you and Lindsay carte blanche to date... but it can end. Think about that before using your vicious tongue."

 

"Threats? That's what I'd expect from you. We don't need your money, Brian. I can take care of both Gus and Lindsay."

 

A cold, mocking laugh crawled from the depths of Brian's throat. "It isn't about money. This is about my rights... and the power I have never asserted." He moved in closer, smiling when she backed away at the sight of the chips of ice glimmering in his eyes. "I can destroy you if I choose. Keep pushing me, Melanie... and see how I retaliate."

 

Her eyes widened in fear, mixed in with uncertainty. "You wouldn't try to take Gus away. It would break Lindsay's heart. And what court would ever award you custody of a young child?"

 

"Only one way to find out. You have no idea of the power I have. In fact, you never have." His eyes slid over her in contempt. "Keep trying to alienate me from my son, and you will lose everything. And I mean everything. I think we both know if you are the cause of me taking Gus away, Lindsay will never forgive you."

 

"You are an unprincipled savage. God, how I wish Lindsay had chosen someone else to father our child!" She moved away from him, her eyes filled with a combination of fear and intense hatred. Melanie knew she couldn't fight him now. Brian had spoken the truth in more ways than she cared to accept. The power he possessed was immense, fighting that was nearly hopeless... and there was Lindsay. She would never forgive her if somehow Brian took Gus away from her. For now, Brian won. She would play his game... but it wouldn't last forever. She would find a way to limit his involvement in Gus' life. She didn't know how... but she wouldn't rest until Brian was out of their lives forever.

 

Brian watched as Melanie entered the plane, a plan already beginning to form. He was reasonably fine with Gus being raised by Lindsay... but he wouldn't tolerate either of them trying to extricate him from his son's life. He intended to take precautions so it didn't happen... and he would do so right now. He flipped open his phone, dialing directly to his dutiful but often flippant PA. "Cynthia, I need you to call my private investigator. This case is to take top priority."

 

"Don't they all?" she replied drolly.

 

"If I'm paying for them... then, yes, they do." He wasn't in the mood for her sarcasm... she could be finding that out soon. "I need a full background check, as well as a current investigation run on Melanie Marcus in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."

 

Cynthia gasped. "Isn't that one of Gus' mom's?"

 

"It is." Brian's tone was curt, when he added, "I want to know everything about her - past and present."

 

"Okay. I'll call them right away." Hesitantly she asked, "Is everything alright with Gus?"

 

Brian's jaw was set in an angry line as he moved to approach Ben. "Yes, however, I intend to make sure it stays that way." After flipping his phone closed, Brian met Ben a few feet away. "Let's get a drink. I need one. In fact, I might need an entire fucking bottle."

 

Ben rolled his eyes. When would Melanie learn? As he followed Brian into the bar, he realized Melanie could have pushed Brian too far this time. He had that look in his eyes that no man wanted to see... and a woman even less; it was one that bespoke total destruction for the one causing it. Ben was glad he wasn't at the center of it. Melanie's only hope was for Brian's focus to be diverted. As he watched the stiffness in his friend and employer, Ben doubted even that would be enough to save her from Brian's wrath this time. Sitting down at the bar next to him, Ben looked at him inquiringly. "Want to talk about it?"

 

His head turned to look at Ben in astonishment. "Are you fucking kidding me?" Briefly allowing his eyes to scan down the bar, Brian was soon to find himself being gifted with another opportunity he hadn't expected to find today. One of a very favorite kind. "Well, well... look who came out to play," he rasped, a different feeling coming over him at once. Play was exactly what he had in mind now... and the perfect participant to join him was seated not ten feet away.

 

Swiveling his head to look, Ben groaned when his eyes caught the same blond that had transfixed Brian so much earlier. This truly wasn't his day. As he watched Brian move toward his unsuspecting prey, Ben made the realization that this day was going to be one that lasted a lifetime. As he observed one man in the act of buying the young blond a drink, Ben shuddered to think how Brian would respond to the opposition in his present mood. That wouldn't end well today... and what was even more disturbing, Ben knew he would have to get involved in it when the encounter turned unpleasant. Without much thought, Ben ordered a bottle of water. There wasn't a doubt in his mind he would need a clear ahead about him for the rest of this outing.

 

He laughed as he watched Brian closing the gap. Just another day in the life of protecting the never obscure Brian Kinney. He could only imagine what would happen next.

 

TBC