- Text Size +

 

Brian pounded harshly on the door of the home of his son's two mommies. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he would begin this little meeting on the aggressive. Before he left, he would have Gus' future and safety under his control - and his alone. Brian felt a flicker of remorse for Lindsay. He knew she hadn't been a part of Melanie's moronic plan; however, her lack of good judgment couldn't be overlooked. As his son's caregiver, such lapses would not be tolerated.

 

"Remember, Brian... keep your cool. Neither Gus nor Justin needs you to be in jail too," Ben faultlessly reminded.

 

"I've got this, Ben." Brian looked at the only man that he trusted with the lives of his family, fully cognizant of the fact that Ben often crossed the line. He had no intention of reprimanding him for it. Ben was being true to himself, and in doing so, protecting him in another manner. In his opinion, finding a more loyal friend or employee would be remotely impossible. Brian had no intention of trying to do that.

 

Swinging the door widely open, Lindsay glared at Brian with more confidence than she could actually feel. "Where is Gus?"

 

"Safe..." Brian snarled, only slightly satisfied when Lindsay took a step back following his sudden abruptness. "May we come inside? I doubt you want the neighbors to hear of your neglect. I realize the houses aren't that close together; however, in my present frame of mind - that won't matter!"

 

"Easy there, Brian. You were going to be calm. Remember?" Ben diplomatically reminded, never for one moment believing that to be the case.

 

"Calm?" Brian openly sneered. "I never agreed to that..."

 

Lindsay rolled her eyes, in actuality, her anger more centered on her partner's mistakes than Brian's aggressive actions. In being honest with herself, she knew she would be doing the exact same thing in Brian's position. That knowledge didn't soothe her, though. She wanted her son with her - where he belonged. Until she had that, nothing would be right again. Quirking a weary brow, Lindsay caustically replied, "I always count on you, Ben, for being the voice of reason. I'm not sure that isn't your true job capacity."

 

"They have become quite extensive..." Ben returned drolly.

 

"Can we NOT pretend I'm invisible and get on with the matter at hand!?" Brian snapped. He was in no mood for this - in fact, he had very little patience at the moment. Lindsay's attitude wasn't helping his bad temper; if anything, he was only becoming more irate.

 

"Do come in, Brian. It's quite obvious we have no choice..."

 

Brian stepped inside, his back tensing at the 'we' reference. The viper was not only in residence, but still a part of Lindsay's life. That answered how he would proceed here. There was nothing that would induce him into returning his son to such an unstable environment. Lindsay continuing to stand by her vicious partner only made things clearer. His eyes moved around the room until he found the woman in question sitting on the couch, staring sightlessly into the fireplace. "I should have known you wouldn't have the good taste to leave town. Nor the sense of mind to do so. But perhaps it's better this way."

 

Ben mentally groaned. This was going to get ugly. He had been certain of it... and now that they were here, and Brian was in this frame of mind - all he could do was make sure Brian didn't go too far. "How about we all sit down and talk about this like adults?"

 

Melanie scoffed from her position on the couch. "You expect the God of all he surveys to be reasonable? I just want to get this over with - so we can all move on!"

 

"Mel! That attitude isn't going to get us anywhere. Brian does have a very good reason to be angry!" Lindsay spat out, immediately moving to her partner's side - at this moment, uncertain of how she could salvage their relationship and get her son back home.

 

Brian's nostrils flared in anger at Melanie's continued opposition. She hadn't learned a damned thing. He was quite certain she never would. When Melanie looked at him, all he could see was hatred. That was not the atmosphere he wanted his son to be raised in. There wasn't a doubt that he often deserved such treatment - but she had brought Gus into that ugly and dangerous world. She wouldn't any longer. "I've made my decision, and I'm merely here to deliver it."

 

"D-decision?" Lindsay asked warily, her eyes darting back and forth between Brian and Ben - not a doubt in her mind that Brian's most trusted employee knew what this was about as well.

 

"Give her the file, Ben." Brian didn't look at Ben to know that his words were being carried out. His eyes flickered from contemptuous as he watched his enemy, to only slightly remorseful as he looked at the paling on Lindsay's face. "Your choices have made my decision non-negotiable. I won't have my son placed in jeopardy... nor will I allow him to be raised with such hatred." He looked at them both coldly. "Gus won't be manipulated any longer!"

 

"Manipulated? I've never done that, Brian. In fact, I've always encouraged your visits. You know that!" Lindsay protested.

 

Brian sneered. "Encouraged? No, not exactly. You allowed them when they fit into your schedule. That doesn't matter now. Gus' future is in my care now."

 

"I won't sign this, Brian." Lindsay tossed the document down on the couch, oblivious to Melanie picking it up and quickly scanning the contents.

 

"You're damned right you won't!" Melanie hissed as she came to her feet. She waved the papers in the air, uncaring of how Ben took a protective step toward Brian, a snarl twisting her lips as she spat out, "This is outrageous, Brian - even for you! Lindsay had nothing to do with my foolish decision. She shouldn't suffer for it. I will make sure she is well represented in court when she fights you."

 

Once again, Ben attempted to play the diplomat. Emotions were beginning to rage out of control... and in his business, that was a response he didn't relish. As much as he knew that neither Lindsay nor Melanie proved a physical threat to Brian... he wasn't about to take any chances. Jennifer Taylor's actions well represented that. "How about we all take a step back and come to a conclusion that will satisfy everyone."

 

"That's not going to happen, Ben. My decision has been made. It's just a matter of seeing it through." Brian turned his full attention to Lindsay, his eyes cold and filled with purpose as he told her exactly what he wanted - and how he intended it to be. "You will sign over parental rights to me. In return, you will receive supervised visitation with Gus; however, not here. You will come to New York to see him. I will take my claim to court whether you sign it or not. Trust me when I tell you, it's in your best interest to cooperate."

 

"Threats?" Melanie sneered. "Well if that isn't typical!" Shaking her head, back and forth, Melanie bravely countered, "Sure, I fucked up! But let me tell you this, Mr. God Almighty Kinney - your track record isn't squeaky clean either. Remember, we're not in New York where you can pay off the right judge. Here in Pittsburgh - I can and will get a fair day in court!"

 

"So delusional." Brian shook his head, a pitiful look on his face. "You still have no idea how far the kind of money I have can reach - nor of the power I possess. You have never understood that!" Brian held a smug look on his face as he watched Lindsay's pale even further. She knew him well. Not only did she know his words to be true, but she would also know he had a Plan B. Brian Kinney never went into negotiations without one - whether forced or willing. He was always prepared. "I had hoped to resolve this without too many unpleasant words being tossed about; however, I see that can't be the case here."

 

Ben groaned. Here we go, he thought to himself. The life and hope would be forever drained from these women in a single moment - a train wreck from which they would never recover. Ben had tried to dissuade Brian from this course of action, but it hadn't been a surprise when Brian coldly shot him down. In truth, he understood Brian's point of view. Gus must be protected. As Brian's heir and offspring, he would always be a target. Melanie's poor decision-making had brought unnecessary danger to the young boy's door. That couldn't happen again.

 

"What are you talking about, Brian?" Lindsay demanded, her eyes meeting Melanie's briefly, quickly discerning Melanie to be just as confused. "Gus is safe, and it was a mistake. Any judge will understand that..."

 

"Will they?" Brian returned condescendingly. "Your partner - one who was in a position of trust with my son, along with being his caregiver, led him to a man that will be soon publicly known as a perpetrator of child abuse... and possibly even more." Brian looked dispassionately at both women. "It would be a shame if such knowledge became known; in particular, to the Bar Association."

 

Lindsay gasped. "Brian, you're taking this too far. It was a mistake. Nothing happened to Gus. Melanie would never risk him like that!"

 

"Don't waste your time, Linds. He's using my bad judgment to get what he's always wanted. I'll just leave and you won't have to make any concessions..." Melanie stared hatefully at Brian, unable to believe how stupid she had been... and how she now had the potential of losing everything that mattered.

 

"No!" Lindsay protested. "We can work this out."

 

"There isn't anything left to work out, Lindsay. Sign the fucking paper... and I will forget everything." He looked at the two of them contemptuously. "I will allow you reasonable visitation with Gus - but this bitch that you so devoutly support will never come near my son again."

 

Lindsay looked back and forth between Brian and Melanie, uncertain of what she should do. She realized she had very little choice here. Visitation was better than nothing at all, and there wasn't a doubt that Brian would win in court. Melanie's actions had portrayed them as unstable caregivers; Brian would exploit that to the fullest. "Fine. I will sign it. However, I want to see my son tomorrow. He needs to know that I am not willingly abandoning him..."

 

Brian removed a pen from his breast pocket, extending it silently to Lindsay. "I will give you your meeting with Gus tomorrow - supervised, of course. You will have privacy, but you will always be under surveillance. You are making the right decision." Brian's expression softened for a slight moment. "Gus will be happy, and safe. I think you know that."

 

Tears slipped from Lindsay's eyes and rolled down her face. She nodded, before she grudgingly admitted, "I know that, Brian. That's the only reason I won't fight you. Gus came home heartbroken every time he left you in New York. He loves you so much."

 

"I love him, too. More than anything..." Brian's voice was gruff as he spoke the words, uncaring in this instance of any heartfelt emotions displayed.

 

Melanie watched as Lindsay signed the document, realizing she was doing it more out of love for Gus, and feeling this change was what was best for him than in protecting her from Brian's threats. She refused to believe that she could be completely wrong about Brian, and his influence on Gus' life, but one thing was clear. He loved his son. Perhaps that would be enough. "You had better do right by Lindsay. I swear to you if you don't - and if you ever make a mistake such as I did - I will find out and ruin you for it!"

 

"Threats from you mean very little to me; however, I am a man of my word. Gus will have the best of everything, and his mother will have access to him - on my terms." Brian looked at Lindsay with more sympathy now that he had the document signed, and the resolution he had most hoped to effect. "I'll call you tomorrow with a time that you can visit Gus."

 

Lindsay nodded. "Thank you, Brian. His happiness and safety are all that matters. I'm sure he'll have that now."

 

Ben remained silent as he watched them all coming to terms. He was amazed it had remained as civilized as it had. In the end, it appeared that they all had put Gus' welfare at the forefront. In his opinion - it was about time.

 

TBC