- Text Size +

 

Justin blinked as the guard granted him permission to enter the doors that led to the county jail's visitation room. He felt Brian protectively at his side; in truth that was the only thing that he now felt. He was numb from the events of his father's murder, and his mother's return and participation in that death. "B-Brian..." Justin stammered. "Can you come with me? Please?"

 

Brian sighed. How he wished he could do that. As much as he'd tried to get the rules bent, this was still a jail under Jim Stockwell's domain. He couldn't push things that far. "I'm sorry, Justin. They won't allow more than one visitor at a time."

 

"Sir?" the guard asked dispassionately. "There is a limited time for your visit. You are wasting it standing here."

 

Casting a heated glare at the offensive guard, Brian nudged Justin forward gently, his voice low and firm as he spoke, "You don't have a lot of time, Justin. You'll be just fine, and I'll be here waiting when the visit is over."

 

Justin's bottom lip quivered as he looked at Brian. He had no way of knowing how much his anxiety tormented the always in control man; nor how the helplessness of the situation made him feel. "I- I don't know if I can do this, Brian. I haven't seen her for years... and to see her like this. I- I just don't know..."

 

"You can do this, Justin." Brian's stare was fierce as he took in Justin's despair. He knew he had to dispel it quickly. If this was to be the end of the line for Justin and his mother, at the very least he needed closure. Too many unanswered questions remained. Brian had gotten to know Justin very well - the sensitive blond wouldn't be happy until he had some answers. He was determined that Justin see this meeting through and have them. "Now go in there and see what she has to say. If for no other reason - do it to say goodbye."

 

"I guess I owe her that much. Essentially, she saved my life." Justin shuddered. "It's hard to say what my father had planned if he got his hands on me again."

 

Glancing up at the inpatient guard that looked about ready to cancel Justin's visit, Brian nodded his head in agreement. "Not only you, but she also did the community a great service. Get in there, Justin. I think you'll be glad you did."

 

"I hope so," Justin whispered. He gave Brian one last deep, intensive stare before he took the few steps that led him to the doors that held his mother on the other side. When the guard on the other side allowed him to enter, Justin looked at him for the longest moment, before his eyes fell to the table; the woman with a slightly darker shade of blonde hair looking at him. Instantly, Justin realized she wasn't merely looking at him - she was assessing him. It was the look of one long hungering for a sight, then once they had it close, unable to resist studying it intently.

 

"Justin..." she whispered, her voice breaking and full of longing. "You're so beautiful. I never imagined how much so..."

 

He stared at her accusingly for a long silent moment. Conflicted, was how he mostly felt. He wasn't sure why he had agreed to do this; history told him this would lead to nothing but heartache. "I'm not sure why I came here. After all this time - I don't know what we possibly have to discuss."

 

"So much more than you realize, Justin. This visit won't be nearly enough time... so we need to get to the important things quickly..."

 

Justin glanced at the guard in the far corner of the room, uncertain of why he was asking, just knowing he desired a private moment with the mother he could barely remember. "Is there any reason why we can't speak alone? I mean - she's my mother; it's quite obvious she isn't going anywhere."

 

The stoic guard looked back and forth between them for a few moments, before he abruptly shrugged his shoulders indifferently. "I'll be outside the door. You have fifteen minutes."

 

"Thank you, Justin." Jennifer watched as the guard closed the door behind him, wringing her hands together on the table as she watched Justin's hesitant approach. "This is hard enough without the presence of strangers."

 

Biting his lip, Justin couldn't resist asking, "Are they treating you well?"

 

She nodded and smiled. "Yes, I didn't know what to expect regarding that - but I have no complaints there. Please, sit. We don't have a lot of time."

 

Justin wearily took the seat across from his mother, his eyes filled with pain, when he asked her, "Why did you do it?"

 

"Kill your father... or leave you with him years ago?" Jennifer hated adding the last part; there wasn't a doubt in her mind that was the most painful part of her response. Even as a young child, Justin had been so sensitive. His mother seemingly abandoning him had to have been devastating. There was no way she could make amends now. All she could do was explain.

 

Knowing he was failing at masking the pain his mother's words elicited, Justin looked away from her, before answering, "Both, I guess."

 

Nodding, Jennifer accepted that. "I owe you that... and so much more. Let's start with my leaving. I did it to protect your legacy... not to mention your life. After years of abuse at your father's hand - I didn't care about what he did to me any longer."

 

"Legacy? What are you talking about?" Justin looked up sharply, thinking in an instant his mother had lost her mind. "I had nothing when I ran away; you wouldn't believe the things I've endured in those years!"

 

"You're right, Justin; I don't know." She smiled at him in grim admiration. "You hid yourself well. I didn't find you until you opened a bank account recently." When Justin looked at her in bewilderment, she continued, "I had an investigator looking for you. I always had the feeling you would return to Pittsburgh for one reason or another; thankfully, I arrived just before you."

 

"So... you came into some money after you left?" Justin snorted indifferently. "How nice for you."

 

Jennifer sighed. She hadn't expected this to be easy, or Justin to be so bitter, but she realized it was to be expected. Perhaps when she finished, part of Justin's anguish would be eradicated. "I had always been my grandfather's heir. He practically raised me when my parents died; when he died, I was lost for a while. When I left to go take care of him, I thought it would protect you too. Craig's abuse of you always seemed to come following an incident with me. I guess that wasn't the case."

 

"No, it wasn't..." Justin snapped. "He locked me in the closet. The only time I was allowed out was to go to school, and what precious little time he elected to give me. It was amazing that I graduated at the top of my class living in those circumstances. When he did let me out, he beat me to within an inch of my life. He always left the marks where they wouldn't be visible."

 

Tears streamed down Jennifer's face. "God, Justin. I'm so sorry. I knew he was a vindictive ass, but not to that extent - at least, not then. I would have stayed, but when Craig discovered the fortune I was to collect from my terminal grandfather, I knew staying would risk your life further."

 

"How could it have been any worse, Mom?" Justin asked, oblivious to the fact of calling her mom for the first time in more years than he wanted to remember.

 

Jennifer sighed, lumps in her throat upon hearing Mom falling from Justin's mouth. She hadn't expected that. No matter if it was just a reflexive action; she still cherished it. "Your great-grandfather's will was very specific. His fortune was left entirely to me. In the event of my death - it reverted to my son. Can you understand why I had to run, and just why your father was so obsessed with bringing you home?"

 

Justin gasped. "He would have killed you had you stayed with him. Then, he would have tormented me until I signed everything over to him. Fuck. What a bastard! I went all of these years thinking you abandoned me to the sick son-of-a-bitch... and you were trying to protect me?"

 

Tears continued to slide down Jennifer's face. Nodding, she answered, "I love you more than my life, Justin. Prison is a small price to pay in knowing that you'll be safe. Not only safe, but financially independent."

 

"I fucking hate him so much! All of those years were lost... and all over money! There isn't a doubt in my mind that he would have killed me too after gaining my inheritance." Justin shook his head in disbelief, his hatred for his father rising to new depths. His mother had loved him, and he'd never realized. Now it was too late for them to rebuild. His mother would be heading to prison, and there wasn't a damned thing he could do about it.

 

Jennifer reached out and placed her hand on Justin's; a grateful sigh escaping when he didn't recoil. "Justin, I don't want you to blame yourself for anything that happens to me from here on out. I made this choice. I did it out of love... don't look back. Your future is filled with promise. You need to look toward that."

 

Justin couldn't believe it... any of it. His mother was here and had given up her freedom to make him safe. Knowing that he had always had her love made his heart swell to the point he felt he could break from the pressure. "I'm going to see what I can do to help you, Mom. Surely something can be done."

 

"Don't worry about that, Justin. I will have an attorney; in that, my rights will be represented. Don't forget - I killed a man in cold blood. It wasn't only a crime of passion... it was premeditated. There's no going back for me."

 

Squeezing her hand, Justin stopped resisting the tears that had been pushing at the back of his eyelids. "I want to help you, though. You don't deserve to face prison for ridding society of such a monster. I- I don't want to lose you again." Justin flinched when he heard the knock on the door and the guard shouting out that the time for their visit had almost elapsed.

 

"Justin, you'll never lose me. I am in your heart, as you are in mine. No one can take that from us. If you want to honor me, I can only ask one thing of you."

 

"What's that?" he asked warily.

 

"Live a full and safe life. You have the money now to do anything you want. It's time for you to be happy, Justin. You deserve that so much..." Jennifer told him, her eyes filled with tears, yet surrounded by love for her son. Looking up as the guard stepped into the room, Jennifer hurriedly told him, "My attorney should be in touch with you soon. I told him to do so in the event I became incapacitated. Once he does, it will all be yours."

 

"Mine?" Justin squawked. "You already had it transferred to me?"

 

Nodding, her eyes glancing toward the impatient guard, Jennifer told him, "I did it before I came to Pittsburgh. I wanted it to be in your hands now. This will change your life... and I couldn't be happier about that."

 

Justin rushed forward, embracing his mother tightly, sobs shaking his body as she held him close. "I- I love you, Mom. No matter what I thought about you leaving; I never stopped hoping for you to return. I- I can't thank you enough."

 

"You don't need to thank me, Justin." Jennifer kissed him lightly on the cheek before forcing herself to separate from him. If the embrace lasted much longer, she was certain the guard would pull them apart. That was the last thing she wanted in this beautiful moment - one that she'd dreamt of for so long.

 

His lips pressed together in a tight line, Justin vowed, "I swear, I'll get you out of here, Mom. No matter what - I promise that."

 

Jennifer smiled at Justin, her eyes drinking him in, uncertain if and when she would see him again. She didn't have any hope regarding her legal predicament... but she wouldn't be the one to dash Justin's hopes. She'd done enough of that in the past. "No matter what happens, Justin, remember that I love you - that I've always loved you."

 

Nodding, tears streaming down his face, Justin watched as his mom was escorted out... his heart now torn apart more than he could have ever thought possible. His eyes stared unseeingly ahead as he vacated the room, and back to the waiting area where Brian awaited him. Justin didn't notice how Brian stood immediately to his feet, his eyes filled with concern as he read the devastation on his lover's face.

 

"Justin?" Brian asked, uncertain of what he should be asking, or even doing right now.

 

Raising his tear-filled eyes to meet Brian's, Justin whispered brokenly, "She loved me, Brian. In fact - she's always loved me."

 

Brian rolled his lips under, his head nodding in acceptance of Justin's words. He pulled the blond into his arms, his hands cradling him against his chest, Uncaring of any onlookers, Brian stroked his hands soothingly along his head, and back. "I thought so," Brian murmured, knowing it to be the absolute truth.

 

"Now I've lost her forever..." Renewed sobs escaped, right now, both of them knowing Justin needed that release more than anything.

 

His eyes determined, as an idea occurred to him, Brian laid his lips against the side of Justin's neck, his eyes glaring at the old woman that gasped at the familiarity between them in the public waiting area. "Leave it all to me. I'm sure I can come up with something."

 

Pulling back, Justin looked at Brian with complete hope and trust in his eyes. "Do you really think so, Brian?"

 

"I know so." Arching a sardonic brow at Justin's skeptical look, Brian smugly responded, "Haven't you learned yet that I can move mountains? I promised to take care of you... and that includes anything that threatens your happiness."

 

"I- I can't thank you enough." Justin clasped a hand behind Brian's neck, pulling his head down to meet his lips. He chuckled when he heard the shocked gasps sounding around him, but that didn't stop him from kissing him with everything that was in him. "I'm sure I'll find a way, though."

 

Brian felt his body responding in the most inopportune of places, quite certain that his young lover was correct. "I never doubted that, Taylor." As he placed his arm firmly around Justin's waist and led him to the entrance, Brian knew without a doubt he was fucked. There was no way the Brian of old would go to such extremes for a man. No matter what he had to do, he would make sure that Justin's mother didn't suffer a prison sentence. His heart had endured a heaviness he never could have imagined when he had witnessed the devastation in the sensitive blond.

 

The cost of a resolution had no meaning for him. All that mattered was making Justin happy. What his commitment to that end meant didn't matter right now. All that mattered was making things right for Justin. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he would do exactly that.

 

TBC