- Text Size +

 

Justin was sketching the murky visage of the Pittsburgh waterfront when the door opened and closed behind him. His eyes wide in surprise, Justin turned to see Brian approaching with an extremely self-satisfied smirk on his face. Justin groaned. He knew Brian had an appointment with the lawyer... an appointment that he'd asked Justin not to attend; however, he couldn't imagine how that could evoke such a look on his tenacious lover's face. He had agreed to stay behind, agreeing with Brian that he didn't need any more bad news... but perhaps that wasn't the wisest of choices.

 

"Okay, let's have it, Mr. Kinney. What have you done now? And how difficult will it be for the lawyer to get you out of it?" Justin's tone was teasing. Although he realized Brian's methods were rarely pure, he was attempting to do a good thing regarding his mother's defense, he knew the bottom line with Brian was always about winning. He didn't doubt he would bend, or even break a few laws to achieve that result.

 

Brian cast a mock glare on his capricious little blond. "You know, that's twice in one day that I have been accused of something that would place me on the wrong side of the law. I think I should be offended."

 

Justin sighed patiently. "Somehow, I think you'll survive that." He looked at Brian expectantly. "Are you going to tell me what the lawyer said?"

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian nodded, before approaching Justin and quickly pulling up a chair next to him. "Okay, this is how it will go. The preliminary hearing won't be for a couple of weeks. We can ask for a continuance or just let the date be set. My opinion, which is the same as the attorney's, is that we forge ahead quickly. It gives the appearance we have nothing to hide, which we don't. Everything is out there to see."

 

"Uhhh, isn't that why we need time to build a proper defense?" Justin asked, clearly uncertain where this logic was heading.

 

"Not really. This would be open-and-shut, if not for previous extenuating circumstances. Ones that you will be required to testify to in court." This was the hard part, and a step he wouldn't force Justin to take. It was his mother and his choice. How far he invested himself into it would be up to him.

 

Justin's jaw gaped open. "Testify to what? I wasn't there when she shot my father."

 

"The attorney wants Jennifer to enter a plea of temporary insanity due to the former abuse administered to both you and her. He feels that she will be exonerated following your testimony. This he believes to be her only hope." Brian watched Justin intently for some show of emotion - one way or another; his concern growing when all he could see was an almost haunting expression. "Needless to say, she will have to agree to this; I have the feeling she will only do this if she feels you are comfortable with testifying."

 

A hunted look came into Justin's eyes, a fear that he felt guilty about feeling, yet, one that existed, nonetheless. "Testify..." he whispered. Tears that he couldn't hold back suddenly materialized in his eyes. "The prosecutor will rip me apart on the stand - make me relive that time in horrific detail." Justin felt a cold chill traveling up and down his spine, his eyes seeking out his lover that now clearly understood. "You know that's what will happen, Brian. I- I'm not sure I can go through that again..."

 

Brian immediately felt compelled to look away. He couldn't stand that stark, unmasked pain in Justin's eyes. Fuck, he thought to himself. What had this little blond package of perfection done to him? He wasn't himself. Truth be known, he hadn't been from the time they arrived in Pittsburgh - if not before then. He was totally wrapped up in all things Justin Taylor. At this point, he couldn't see a way out. Knowing he had no choice but to soothe this man that undoubtedly meant so much to him, Brian did what he had never done with another man. As the tears began to stream down Justin's face, Brian moved to his knees in front of Justin, his hands reaching out to clasp Justin's tightly in his own... his only objective one thing, and one alone - making this right for Justin.

 

"B-Brian... what are you d-doing?" Justin asked tremulously.

 

A smile slowly curved Brian's lips. He squeezed Justin's hands in his own, his eyes warm and full of compassion on this young man that he now accepted had completely stolen his heart. He didn't know when he'd be able to verbally acknowledge such an unexpected reality - but he knew it was what had really been the driving force of him ripping up the contract that held them together. He loved Justin Taylor. "For once, I am stepping outside of myself and being the man you need me to be."

 

"W-what does that mean?" Justin asked, his head shaking in confusion.

 

"So many things really." Brian rolled his lips under as he surveyed the confusion and pain still defining his beautiful boy's face. "Listen to me carefully, Justin. You don't have to do a damned thing you don't want to do. The lawyer can build another defense... one that isn't so devastating for you. You have already gone through hell - you don't have to relive it like this again. I will call the attorney and tell him to find another way."

 

"No, I'll do it. I owe her that much." Justin kept a watchful gaze on the emotions playing out on Brian's face. Brian cared so much... it was evident in everything he did. He had known, but he had never felt it as deeply as he did at this moment. It was such an exhilarating feeling. One that he would hold onto for a long time to come. "Thank you, Brian."

 

Slowly coming to his feet, Brian returned to the chair next to Justin. He looked at Justin intently before he asked, "For what?"

 

"For caring about me." He wiped away his tears, before a knowing smile curved his lips. "You can say it's just because you like how we are in bed, but I know it's more than that. You really care about me."

 

Brian delivered a noncommittal shrug. "It's time you understood that you deserve that. You are a special young man, Justin Taylor. In time you will see that too. Until then, I guess I'll just have to hang around to provide daily reminders."

 

"It must be such a sacrifice..." Justin countered. More than anything he wished he could get Brian to say the words that he felt to be in his heart. He knew they were there... it was just a matter of bringing them to the surface. Justin still couldn't fully fathom that this powerful, and utterly beautiful man could care about him so much... but it was something he cherished. He hoped that it never came to an end.

 

Leaning forward, Brian slanted his lips against Justin's, a sigh of contentment escaping both men's lips. This was where they were at their best. Together, it was like the world was in the palm of their hands. Brian wondered if that was what love was. If it was, he hoped to keep a grasp on it for a long time to come. "No," Brian finally whispered. "It's not a sacrifice at all. I am exactly where I want to be."

 

Pulling Justin tightly into his arms, Brian finished his thought in his mind, hopeful that someday he would be able to communicate his feelings to his adorable blond. Not only was he where he wanted to be... he knew he was where he would always want to be. If things went his way, it would be how things would always be for them.

 


 

"Well?" Sapperstein snarled into the phone. "Have you found them?"

 

"Yes, Gary." Kip's eyes stared hatefully at what appeared to be Pittsburgh's most elite hotel, knowing Justin was safely ensconced inside with his excessively protective lover. "They are in Pittsburgh. I've tracked down the hotel; I don't have the room information... but there have been some other interesting developments here."

 

Gary smiled. He knew all about those developments. If not for them, he wouldn't be free to make this move on Justin. "I know all about Craig Taylor's unfortunate demise." He laughed coldly. Craig Taylor's death was anything but a source of sadness for him. "Is Justin involved in that at all? I've had reports that his mother had resurfaced, and is now in custody. However, the details are sketchy."

 

"Rumor has it that she has been charged with Taylor's murder; however, nothing has gone to court yet. Justin has visited her." Kip sneered deliberately. "Although with his ever-present watchdog at his side."

 

"I don't doubt that..." Gary hissed. He despised Brian Kinney more than any man. He had managed to secure and claim what should have been his. Much as he had done at the time, he vowed it to be only temporary. He would have Justin in his bed, and under his control. Once he had him, the boy would pay for all of the trouble he had caused. He would pay in so many ways. "What about Kinney's personal security? Are they around?"

 

"Yes, but not always with him and Justin." Kip's eyes grew alive with excitement, knowing he was about to tell his much-interested boss something he didn't already know. "That's the new development you don't know about yet."

 

Gary's attention focused totally on Kip's voice. For some reason, he believed Kip was about to show his usefulness, giving him some information that would be beneficial in meeting his goals. "Well? What is it?"

 

"Kinney has acquired custody of his young son. He is always guarded, whether with his father or not." Kip cackled in menacing glee. "His weaknesses are only growing."

 

"Isn't that interesting..." Gary murmured absently. Oh yes, it was more than interesting. For once, Kip was exactly correct. Kinney was weak now, more so than he could have ever expected. He knew exactly how to prey on weakness. Once he did, Kinney would be devastated, and Justin would be his - just as he always should have been.

 

"I'm booking a flight to Pittsburgh in the morning." Gary's eyes fell to the framed poster he had of Justin on his wall, an erotic pose he had taken of him at his club... one that he couldn't wait to see him projecting again. It wouldn't be much longer now. Justin would be under his control again. This time, he would have everything. When he was finished with the hot, and aggravating little blond, Kinney wouldn't want what remained.

 

Kip's eyes widened, more than a bit surprised that his boss was moving so quickly. He had thought he would wait until Kinney brought Justin back to New York. Although knowing how obsessed Gary was with Justin, it really wasn't much of a surprise. "Okay. What do you want me to do in the meantime?"

 

Gary laughed menacingly. "I'm about to tell you just that. Listen carefully; I will not tolerate any mistakes." He paused for a moment, making certain he had Kip's full attention. "Now, this is what I want you to do..."

 

TBC