- Text Size +

 

Lindsay's eyes glittered in rage; her hands clenched into fists at her sides. "Would you mind repeating that, Mel?"

 

"I made a huge mistake." Tears were swimming in Melanie's eyes... her tough bravado was certainly not part of her persona now. "I promise you, Linds - this isn't going to cost you our son."

 

"You're damned right, it isn't!" Lindsay hissed. "The first instant that looks to be a probability - you will be gone from our lives!!"

 

"Lindsay... baby, please don't do this. We're playing right into Brian's hands." Melanie attempted to move closer to her partner, her steps freezing as she interpreted the ice in her gaze. "Don't you see? This is what he wants."

 

Looking at her lover incredulously, Lindsay shook her head in utter disbelief. "Why does everything always come back to being Brian's fault!? He had nothing to do with this mess you created. We have custody of Gus. He has never been a threat to our life with our son."

 

"I hate to remind you at such a time, but we don't exactly have an iron-clad custody arrangement. Brian could challenge us at any time... and depending on the judge - he could win."

 

"What are you talking about, Mel? Brian hasn't fought our arrangement since Gus was born. We live in different states. He's been happy all along with his semi-annual visits." The anxiety created lines around her slightly compressed lips. "That is until now!"

 

Mel sighed. She expected the worst from Brian, she always had. Her foolish act had played right into his cunning hands. She didn't want to overly alarm Lindsay... but the chance of them losing Gus was very great. And now, with Brian having possession of Gus, he could use that time to his advantage. "I'm not trying to scare you, Linds. I'm just stating facts - ones that we need to keep in mind in the case Brian acts on what happened today. Brian never signed over his parental rights. He is just as entitled as we are."

 

"This is just fucking great, Mel! He's going to take my son away... and there isn't a damned thing I can do to stop him!" Lindsay began to pace the floor, her eyes wild as she struggled to find an answer. "For God's sake, Mel - you are a lawyer. How could you do something so obviously foolish?"

 

"I wasn't thinking clearly, alright? This man approached me, Craig Taylor, he had a very plausible idea. Gus was never going to be at risk. It was all a ruse to get to Brian and neutralize him for good. Now that I think about it, I think Taylor could have played me a bit. There seems to be more going on than what he told me... but I just wanted Brian out of our lives for good. That's all I've ever wanted!"

 

"Well, I hope you're happy now. Your actions will provoke more than you can possibly understand." Lindsay shivered in fear and total dread. "You have no idea how powerful Brian is; however, I'm afraid we're about to find out."

 


 

"Sonnyboy," Brian exclaimed as he stepped from the plane, a hesitant Justin trailing directly behind him. "This is a surprise. Come and hug your daddy."

 

"Daddy! Daddy!" Gus squealed, his little legs running with all their might toward his father, the fear at once gone from his eyes on the sight of his father.

 

Brian pulled Gus into his arms, hugging and swinging him around in circles; unbeknownst to him, his lover's face transformed into a beautiful and emotion-filled smile at the sight he was surprised to see firsthand. He looked over to see Ben very close behind, the tension was visible in every line in his face. He turned around to motion Justin closer, his voice lowered when he asked, "Could you do me a favor, Justin?"

 

Nodding, Justin responded, "Sure, Brian."

 

Lowering Gus to the ground, Brian hunched down to greet his son at eye level. "Daddy needs to talk to Uncle Ben for a few minutes. How about if Justin shows you around the inside of my plane? I know you haven't been in this one."

 

"Really? Wow! Yes, I wanna see inside the plane." He looked around his father's body to see the man that hovered behind him. "Uhhh, Daddy?"

 

"Yes, Sonnyboy?" Brian asked, raising to his full height, his eyes connecting with a disturbed Ben's once again.

 

"Is this Justin?" Gus shyly peeked a few times, uncertain, yet clearly curious.

 

Brian smiled. "Excuse my manners. Justin, this is my son, Gus. And Gus, this is Justin." He knew he would need to clarify the relationship, at least in simple terms that his son would understand. Gus was extremely inquisitive. Hiding anything from him was next to impossible. "Justin is someone very special to me."

 

Justin's heart jumped in his chest. Special to him? He wondered if Brian had said that merely for his son's benefit, or if he had actually meant it. As complex as he knew Brian Kinney to be, Justin realized he wouldn't get that answer right away, but until he did, he knew it would be a question that would linger in his mind.

 

Gus frowned for a moment, thoughts clearly spinning in his mind. "Special like me?"

 

For the first time since this nightmare had started, Ben released a sincere laugh. He loved watching Brian with Gus. It was like being transmitted to another world. Brian was so different when Gus was near. As much as he realized the ruthless businessman mentality had made him who he was today, seeing this side of him was always a breath of fresh air too. Nothing was ever black-and-white when it came to working for Brian Kinney.

 

Brian chuckled. "Well, no, not exactly. However, he is special in another way." He looked Justin's way, momentarily catching his lover's bemused expression, but he didn't have the luxury of time to worry over Justin witnessing his more human behavior. Something was very wrong... and he needed to react to it now. "How about you go along with Justin now. I bet he can find you a snack in there too."

 

Justin moved forward, his hand reaching out to intercept Gus'. He lowered his voice to nearly a hushed whisper, when he told him, "To tell you the truth, Gus, I could go for a snack too. And I know where your daddy hides them."

 

Gus giggled as he willingly went along with Justin, the thought of his daddy ever hiding anything snack-related clearly providing immeasurable amusement.

 

Brian silently watched Justin leading his son up into the plane, a wistful smile curving his lips. That picture looked infinitely right, although he didn't understand the origin of that thought, Brian only knew he felt good about the sight of them together. Once they were safely out of view, and hearing distance, Brian aggressively moved closer to Ben. "Okay, we're alone now. Would you mind telling me why you arrived to pick me up with my son clearly upset?"

 

"God, Brian..." Ben ran a nervous hand through his hair. For the first time, he was afraid to be the one to pass on the bad news. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Brian would become irate, and would forcefully act out against all parties involved. "I was following Craig Taylor, as per your instructions... and well, Gus ended up in the middle of it."

 

"Why the fuck would my son be anywhere near that piece of shit?" Brian exploded.

 

"Everything happened so fast, Brian; so, there's a lot I don't know yet." Ben quickly deciphered Brian's look of impatience, before he spoke the words that he knew without a doubt would set a chain of events in motion that no one would be able to stop. "Melanie walked directly to Taylor on the docks. She had Gus with her. There was a small duffel bag as well. Everything pointed to her taking Gus away for a short time - all to alarm you into giving Taylor what he wanted."

 

Brian began to curse in vulgar, violent waves. "You mean to tell me that Melanie - one of my son's so-called mommies - had Gus near that psychopath!?"

 

"I'm afraid so, Brian. When I went to intercept Gus, Craig Taylor forcibly restrained Gus. It was a horrific incident for your son; however, one that I took control of quickly." Ben watched as Brian's face became the darkest shade of red that he had ever seen it get. Over the years, he had viewed Brian in various degrees of anger, but nothing to compare to this. There wasn't a doubt - this would escalate quickly.

 

Breathing in and out deeply for several moments, Brian began speaking when he was calm enough to do so. It was only a surface calm. The rage that now simmered inside of him would find the source soon. "Let me see if I understand this. Taylor was going to abduct my son... and Melanie was assisting him."

 

"More or less, yes, I think that's it. However, I don't think Melanie realized how unhinged Taylor is. She tried to appeal to his common sense and turn him over to me without a fight." Ben knew that wasn't going to save Melanie, but he did believe the words he spoke. If he thought for one minute that Melanie had malicious intent toward Gus - he would be right by Brian's side working to take her down. "Don't forget, we don't know what sort of nonsense Taylor filled her head with; I think she was a desperate woman trying to hold onto her family."

 

Brian laughed coldly. It was a laugh he rarely rendered. Anyone who heard it would know they had a sealed fate - and one of the worst imaginable. "She's about to learn how desperate she is. I'm going to destroy her; however, first, I think a meeting with Mr. Taylor is in order."

 

"Are you sure that's wise, Brian? He's doing all of this just to get his son back. Maybe you should let him talk to Justin... supervised, of course..."

 

"No fucking way!" Brian hissed. "I know the horrors Justin's father put him through; no matter what the consequences - Justin will not be hurt by that man again!"

 

Ben nodded. He figured that would be Brian's answer. "He seemed unconcerned that his plan failed; in fact, he was almost gloating. His message was very simple."

 

Brian didn't need to be told; he knew where this was heading. There was no way he would compromise, or give this leech anything. "Go on..."

 

"Taylor stated that he can get to your son at any given time. He went on to say that you had something that belonged to him; if you want to keep what belongs to you, well, you need to give Justin to him."

 

"Let me show you how I feel about that... or his threats!" Brian flipped open his cell phone. He connected with directory assistance. He spoke three words. Pittsburgh. Taylor Electronics. Brian made the call, his teeth almost snapping together when he demanded, "I need to speak with Craig Taylor. Immediately!"

 

A slight gasp came across the other end. "Sir, I am the manager in charge of this branch of Taylor Electronics. Perhaps I can assist you..."

 

"If your name isn't Craig Taylor, no you can't! Now, tell him Brian Kinney wishes to speak with him." A cold, menacing smile curved his lips. "I'm sure he will be interested in taking my call."

 

Ben groaned. This wasn't going to be good. He excused himself by whispering, "I think I'll just go make sure that Justin keeps Gus entertained a bit longer..."

 

Brian nodded to Ben in understanding, his eyes becoming even colder flecks of ice when the brusque voice came across the line. He couldn't wait to rip this man's life completely apart. Brian knew he would never enjoy any destruction more. "I believe we have a few matters to discuss, Taylor."

 

"Hmmm, yes, I think we do too, Kinney." Craig cackled almost maniacally when he boasted, "It must have made you feel so threatened when you realized how close I came to nabbing your son."

 

"You are a fucking imbecile... and a tyrant. You know, I was already going to make you pay for what you did to Justin; however, now that you placed your hands on my son... well, things are about to get very unpleasant." Brian was trying to keep some of the menace from his voice. He didn't want to scare him out of a face-to-face meeting. The true terror would begin for Craig Taylor then.

 

"I'm sure anything that little faggot told you must be exaggerated..."

 

Brian growled in response. Fuck! He couldn't wait to get his hands on this man. "I would shut the fuck up - if I were you, Taylor. Now, if you know what's good for you - you will do exactly as I say. Meet me in exactly one hour at the same location you attempted to abduct my son. Fail to be there... well, things will get much worse for you."

 

"I'll be there. I want you to know one thing, though. I am not afraid of you, Kinney."

 

"You will be, Taylor; for certain... you will be." Brian ended the call without a further word. He moved slightly away when he noticed Ben, Justin, and Gus moving down the steps of the plane. He had to be quick. Fortunately, this call wouldn't take long. "Clive, I have a matter that needs your immediate attention."

 

Clive Barrows groaned. It was good that being Brian Kinney's legal counsel paid so well. Brian's immediate requests never boded well for him. "Are you in jail, Brian?"

 

Brian snorted. "Now, what do you think?" Realizing he didn't have time to play guessing games, Brian answered, "No, of course not. I need you to find me some legal representation in the Pittsburgh area."

 

"This is rich, Brian, even for you. You are firing me, and having me find my replacement for you!?"

 

"No, I'm not firing you!" Brian snapped. "Keep this bantering up in my present state of mind... and I just might do that! I need a lawyer specializing in family law; in particular, I want to seek sole custody of my son."

 

Clive's eyes widened. "Oh. Well, this is unexpected, Brian. I'll do some research and get back to you. Shall I make an appointment for you?"

 

"Yes, I want this resolved quickly." Brian's eyes warmed at the sight of his son and Justin walking toward him. "I will pay whatever fee necessary to facilitate this, Clive. I don't intend on returning to New York without my son."

 

In fact, he didn't intend to leave Pittsburgh without both his son and Justin safely by his side. Nothing had ever been more important than achieving that.

 

TBC