- Text Size +

 

Grace rolled her eyes as she looked at the location Brian had all but dragged her to - it didn't matter that he had propelled her there magically; all that mattered was his lack of gentility. "Do you have to be so rough, Brian? I am a lady... remember?" She glared at his responding snort, carrying on with her tirade, "And did it have to be the basement? Haven't we both spent enough time there recently?"

 

Brian's eyes narrowed into cold, unfeeling slits. "You dare to bring that up to me!? How long did you hold me chained? Do you need a memory refresher? Or perhaps you need to be returned to your captivity for the exact amount of time I endured." He moved closer to her, every step and gesture meant to be menacing. Brian knew he wasn't failing in that. "Shall we do that, Grace?"

 

"No!" she gasped, fear clearly displayed in her wide-eyed gaze. "And if you do that, Brian - you won't get your answers."

 

"Give me a fucking break. I think you know I can handle any threat that comes at me or my home without any of your ‘inside' information." Brian shrugged indifferently. "Let's face facts as they are now, dear Grace. I can force you to tell me anything I want to know. It would be wise for you to remember how much our balance of power has changed."

 

Grace averted her eyes; she knew it unwise to cast a venom-filled look at Brian now. That was over. All that remained was seeing to Lindsay's complete end. Thankfully, her sister's own quest for power had aided her in that. "I'll tell you everything, Brian. I guess I owe you that after everything. In my own defense, and I know there's very little, I thought in time you could love me. I see now that would never happen."

 

Brian was skeptical for good reason... there had been too many years of Grace obsessing over having him. He didn't doubt that much of her changed attitude revolved around her hatred for her sister... but then, realism finally played a part as well. Once he had achieved his full power, she had no chance of further harassment. She couldn't even get to Justin now. He had protected him from her... but not from Lindsay. He had trusted her. For now, any threat was neutralized. His home was protected. As long as Justin remained inside, he would be safe from harm. When morning came, Brian knew he would need to protect him further. "I don't want to discuss your change of attitude. I couldn't care less why you suddenly saw the light regarding my disinterest in you." Brian sneered, unmoved by Grace flinching from the impact of his cutting words. "All I care about is what you know about Lindsay and her intentions toward Justin."

 

"Always Justin..." Grace sneered. She backed away when she looked up to see the rage in Brian's eyes, telling herself she really had to keep these feelings of jealousy to herself. That was over. She was resigned to her reality now. All that mattered was that Lindsay suffered as much as her - worse if she had her way - destroying Brian and Justin was no longer an option for her. "I'm sorry, Brian. Old habits die hard."

 

"Right. How about you start with why I am already empowered when I haven't fulfilled what Lindsay said was part of the process..." Brian was becoming more impatient. He wanted answers quickly. When he had them, he would know how to deal with the various threats that surrounded Justin.

 

"She lied to you. It is my belief that she thought she would have more time before you had Justin here with you. I would have thought so too. Everything centers around Justin's feelings for you. He doesn't realize it, but you have lived in his dreams since he was a child. Over time you have become the man of his dreams. That is why he never fully committed to the boyfriend you just separated him from; it is why he has never surrendered his body to another."

 

Brian scoffed. "Saving himself for love? I find that hard to believe. In the time we came from, I would accept it more... but I've seen how this generation lives. It is nothing like ours."

 

"Well, I think your Justin is different. Don't forget that Tresum found him for you. He is your soulmate. I've always known that. I wanted to kill him, and I would have years ago... but Tresum protected him well. I could only find him in his dreams... but you found him even more. You became empowered the moment you made the decision not to use your magic on him. It was an expression of love and trust... and it was proof to Tresum that he truly was the one." Grace shrugged almost indifferently, the more she spoke of it, the more peaceful she felt. "You love him, Brian... and he loves you too. He just doesn't understand that yet. When he wakes, the memory spell I placed on him will be gone."

 

Brian growled in response. He wasn't certain he wanted that. "No. He will hate me. I'll have to start over. He will remember the night I used magic to lure him to me. I cut him with a knife to bind him to me."

 

"That archaic ritual wasn't necessary. Justin was already bound to you." She nodded in understanding of Brian's dismay, yet didn't really see it as that much of an obstacle. "I'm sure he will have some confusion and fear when he remembers it all... but his dreams will return to him too. You are very special to him in many of those dreams. It was there that he fell in love. Be patient with him, and you will have him soon."

 

"Patient? You know I'm not patient. And let's not forget, he's in my home. I already have him!" Brian looked at her in suspicion. "I don't trust you, Grace. We have too much history. How do I know you aren't telling me things to distract me from the real threat?"

 

Grace smirked; she knew she could toy with him tremendously, but she wanted to see her sister's pain and degradation more than anything else. "You don't... but if you confront Lindsay you will know. You are fully empowered now. She cannot hide from you. Her true motives will become clear."

 

"If she is the menacing figure that I blocked outside, she is still there. I can feel her attacking the barriers... but she won't be able to pass." Brian closed his eyes as he felt the familiar essence of the enemy he had always perceived as a friend. "It is her," he whispered. "I can see her... feel her." Brian looked at Grace in total confusion. "I don't understand this, Grace. She taught me the ways of Tresum while I was bound. Lindsay had to know the secret. Why would she come to me and tell me of my destiny - regardless of the fact that she twisted parts of it around, she still urged me to Justin. Why would she do that?"

 

"That's my fault. Over the years I misled her greatly. I was always considered to be the sister destined to aspire to full Tresum power. It was one of the reasons I was so obsessed with uniting with you. I knew of your future power. It was my intent to take it from you before you fully aspired. Then, I would be where you are now." Grace's words were bitter; she blamed Lindsay and her meddling for her failure. Initially she had blamed Brian, then later Justin, but in the end, it was her sister that deserved all her wrath.

 

"You would never be where I am now. You are just as delusional as your sister... and one that I need to deal with tonight. I won't have her threatening Justin any further!"

 

Grace turned her back on Brian, a scheming look on her face. She could salvage something here... but not with Brian. Lindsay's death would satisfy her for now... and being in Brian's good graces wouldn't be a bad thing either. She hadn't lost all hope on that. If that's all she could ever have of him, she would be content with that. All that mattered was Lindsay's total destruction. "You need to bring her to you, Brian. Only you can protect Justin. Bring her inside now... then end her - once and for all."

 

"Bring her inside? Are you out of your fucking mind?" Brian spun her around to face him, his fingers like talons digging into her flesh. "You want me to bring the witch into my home that works to kill my soulmate? What kind of game are you playing?"

 

She trembled under Brian's gaze and grasp. "I'm not playing any games. You need to destroy her, Brian. Place her in chains as she did me. Look into her heart and see her plans. When you do that, I think you will do what needs to be done." Grace closed her eyes tightly as she felt her sister's anger and power. "She has more power than she should, Brian... but not more than you. No one has more than you. I can't handle her on my own."

 

Brian closed himself off to everything else other than the demonic presence he felt outside of his home. "I feel it. Lindsay has taken another's power to merge with her own."

 

"Another? But there isn't anyone else..." Grace frowned as she tried to delve deeper into Lindsay's mind, but found herself blocked. Pain pierced her brow on each subsequent attempt.

 

"Stop!" Brian hissed. "You are of no use to me if she physically impairs you." Brian's mind rehashed everything he had learned over the past few days. It didn't take him long to put the last piece in place. "Daphne..." he murmured.

 

Grace frowned. "Who is Daphne?"

 

"Justin had mentioned a girl by the name of Daphne. She is a friend of Ethan's, Justin's former boyfriend." Brian's voice became sharp and angry when he mentioned Ethan. The thought of Ethan touching his Justin in any way still clawed at his gut like the most wretched of pain-inducing poison. "Justin had said almost in passing that Daphne had spoken of Tresum and that there had been magic present in his hospital room. I gave that information to Lindsay. She was going to check it out."

 

Nodding, Grace told him, "That explains why she came at your house with such power. This Daphne has some form of Tresum power. Lindsay probably drained it from her, and now she is more powerful. Keep in mind that no one has what you have, Brian. If she tries to play her mind games with you - and we know she will - you can still defeat her. You are the true Tresum power. You need to end this now."

 

Brian nodded. "The girl - Daphne. Can she survive this draining of her power?"

 

"Does it really matter? You don't even know her." Grace's voice was cold; a human death meant very little to her, even a human with special abilities. When Brian gave her a reproachful stare, she amended, "It can happen, but as quickly as she took her power, it's unlikely. Right now, that is the least of your worries."

 

"Of course. Justin is my only concern." Brian's eyes looked off into the far corner of the basement. In an instant, he had Lindsay's torturous chains in place; Brian ignored Grace's smug laughter as he prepared for her sister's destruction. A red glow appeared in his eyes as he lifted his arms and began to chant. Brian called on all the powers of Tresum to force Lindsay to appear. There wasn't a doubt she would rebel against his call. He could force her arrival with his greater power... but he wanted her here quickly. As he felt the powers surrounding her, Brian coldly demanded, "Come to me, Lindsay. It is time to face your destiny. Come to me now."

 

They could each hear Lindsay shrieking in terror, both of them remaining still as the powers that she could not defeat forced her presence before them. Grace held a malicious smile on her face as Lindsay materialized before them; Brian looked on her in disappointment for what she'd allowed her greed for power to aspire her to do. He shook his head in grim disapproval. "I could have forgiven you anything, Lindsay... but not what you had planned for Justin."

 

"He's nothing!" she foolishly spat out. "You can always find a body to use for your depraved lusts!"

 

"Oh my. And I thought I was bad..." Grace snickered.

 

Brian looked at his former friend in complete revulsion. "You sicken me." With a wave of his hand, he had Lindsay ensnared in chains. He laughed as she screamed out curses at both of them.

 

"I curse you both. I swear I will free myself and come after both of you!"

 

His back turned on her, Brian's eyes burned in an evil bloodlust that sought to destroy. How dare she threaten him after what she intended to do to what he held most dear? He didn't even look at her as he lifted his hand and began to mentally squeeze it around her throat.

 

Grace's eyes bulged in surprise and delight as she watched her sister gasping for breath. "That's it, Brian. Kill her now. Don't wait for judgment on her worthless soul. End this now!"

 

Brian fought with his inner demons. He wanted to kill her. But this would not fall under the will of the Tresum council. They would judge her and then exercise her punishment. It would undoubtedly still lead to her death... but it wouldn't be by his hand. "No," Brian's eyes were wild as they looked at the wicked woman that had so evilly betrayed him. "We will do this according to Tresum law. She will be sent to them."

 

Lindsay laughed shrilly when she could finally find her breath again. Weak-minded fool, she thought to herself. This was what love had done to him. The greatest power in Tresum indeed. Suddenly she had an inspiration, one that hadn't occurred to her before now. She was in the house. Justin was no longer protected. Her end might be determined now... but she would take Brian's precious love with her. Lindsay spoke the words only in her mind; her only hope for success was Brian not probing her mind as she made the connection. As it was, he was so connected to Justin he might feel it. She hoped by the time he did, it would be too late. Silently, she forced Justin to become alert, commanding him with her power to come to her. Brian would be vulnerable with Justin present. He wouldn't think rationally. Brian would be weak. That was exactly what she needed.

 

Grace's eyes narrowed on her sister. Lindsay's hair began to rise around her face as she fully focused her powers on her spell. "Brian, she's doing something. You need to kill her now. Forget about Tresum laws!"

 

Brian's eyes glowed in rage as he watched Lindsay's face transform into pure evil. "Justin..." he gasped. "She has Justin in a spell."

 

Lindsay knew she had to act fast. "Justin, run from the house now. Safety waits for you. Brian is your enemy. He seeks to destroy you. The spirits outside want to help you. Flee from him now..."

 

Grace rolled her eyes. Despite her sister's enhanced powers, she walked closer to her, leaning down, she whispered into her ear, "You just sealed your fate, dear sister. The council may have shown mercy. I don't think Brian will now."

 

"Stay with her!" Brian snarled. "I'll deal with her when I make sure Justin is safe."

 

Looking at Brian warily, she shouted out to him, "You can't use magic on him, Brian. Remember that. Your power is weakened if you interfere with your soulmate's free will."

 

"Fuck!" he hissed. "I don't have time to waste, Grace! What should I do?"

 

Grace looked at Brian in shock. He trusted her? She hadn't expected that... and she didn't deserve it, but she wasn't going to refuse this opportunity. Not only would Lindsay be mentally destroyed... but this would be over as well. "Give me Lindsay's power. You have the power to break Lindsay's spell on Justin, but you can't use magic to secure him. As long as it stays inside of her - your soulmate is at risk."

 

Brian heard Justin's footsteps slowly moving down the staircase, his hand sweeping along the banister. He was in a trance. There would be no stopping him without using magic. A muscle jerked in his cheek as he looked deeply into her mind. "If you are fucking with me, Grace; I swear I will kill you. It will be the slowest death anyone has ever known." Brian knew he had no other choice. In an instant, he pulled all of Lindsay's power from her and passed it over to Grace. They all watched the blue smoke leaving Lindsay's body to enter Grace. When Grace's body jerked in response, Brian knew it had worked. Brian released Lindsay from her bonds just as she slumped to the floor. Lindsay was now human. She wouldn't threaten any of them anymore. "Well, I hope you're satisfied. She's human, and her power will be with you forever."

 

"I'm very satisfied. This will torment her more than death." Grace was silent for a moment, waiting for Brian to issue the chants that would reverse Lindsay's spell. The darkness that had been surrounding the house was instantly lifted; they both looked at each other with a new understanding. Somehow, enemies had become friends during the heat of this near crisis. Stepping closer, Grace wrapped her arms around Brian's waist, hugging him tightly for a brief moment. She looked up at him with bittersweet tears in her eyes. "The two of you are going to be just fine, Brian. I'm not going to hang around Dante's Cove any longer. It's time for me to move on."

 

"Where will you go?" he frowned. "This has always been your home."

 

Grace shrugged. "I can make a home anywhere. There's nothing for me here now."

 

Brian nodded. "I'm sorry, Grace. I know all those years ago I wasn't honest with you. In part it was my fault that you thought we could have a future."

 

"In my heart I always knew. I was much like Lindsay and hungry for power. I wanted it all." She laughed as she heard muffled curses in the distance. "I think Justin is wandering around a strange house - tired, lost, and confused. Maybe you should help him find his way."

 

A different light entered Brian's hazel eyes. It was time to capture his precious prize. "Yes, I think I will do that." He kissed Grace lightly on the cheek. "Goodbye, Grace. Perhaps we'll meet again one day."

 

Grace gave Brian a long warm look as she watched him virtually running up the basement steps to find his wandering soulmate. She let herself out of the house, smiling as the dark clouds that had been hovering over them had now broken into a clear and starry night. Grace nodded in approval. This was the perfect night for a new beginning... for all of them.

 

TBC