- Text Size +

 

Laguna Beach - Present Day

 

Justin's head leaned back against the car seat; his boyfriend's mouth going to work on his cock, his eyes only briefly connecting in the mirror with the cab driver that discreetly averted his gaze. He grasped onto Ethan's hair tightly as he continued to suck him dry; as good as Ethan orally performed... he always went at it too quickly, his orgasm hitting him long before his body felt it should be timed to release. Justin wasn't certain whose blame that was entirely. They were never together more than a few days at a time. Ethan's life was at Dante's Cove, and his was here with his dysfunctional family in Laguna Beach. They rarely got to see each other. When they did, all they did was fuck, making up for the time lost in-between visits.

 

Justin felt the sweat pouring down his face, dripping onto his shirt. The heat was stifling today, just as it was every day. It would have been his preference to wait until they were out of this hot, and obviously non-air-conditioned car... but Ethan apparently had other ideas. He didn't stop to think that something could be missing from their relationship... that Ethan seemed far more into him than he was in return. It wasn't that he didn't care about Ethan. He knew he did. The sex was always good... but Justin knew that wasn't a fair analogy either. He had never bottomed... ever. Sometimes he wondered why Ethan put up with that in their relationship, but he didn't seem to mind it. Justin liked to think someday he would trust a man enough to surrender that control and allow himself to be so vulnerable to another... but so far it hadn't happened. He began to wonder if it hadn't happened with Ethan yet, if it ever would.

 

Unable to hold back the moan from escaping once his release hit him, Justin's glazed eyes met the cab drivers again... a smile curving his own lips when he saw how the sweat also rolled down his face as well. Justin had the feeling it wasn't solely attributed to the massive heat index.

 

After sharing a quick lunch, they made their way to the beach. As always, very few things they could do here. It wasn't like he could take Ethan back home. His parents... his father, in particular, wouldn't approve of their relationship. Craig Taylor was a complete ass most of the time. His mom didn't approve of his father's verbal abuse... but she never did much to stop it. Sometimes Justin wondered if she was afraid of him... and if so, why did she stay with him? He wouldn't subject his boyfriend to the daily Taylor household drama.

 

He looked away from that dreamy expression Ethan always had on his face when they were together, a part of him wondering if he would ever be as smitten as Ethan obviously was with him. There wasn't a doubt that he cared about Ethan deeply... but did he really love him, or want to be committed to him? They had only been together for three months now - if one called a long-distance relationship as being together. Justin could sense that Ethan wanted to move to the next level. He wondered when Ethan was back at Dante's Cove tending bar if he ever fucked any of the guys that stayed there. Justin had mixed emotions about that. Part of him found it to be understandable and even expected due to the limited amount of time they had together... while another part of him was a little bit jealous. Yet, he hadn't been disturbed enough to accept Ethan's many offers of him moving to Dante's Cove to live with him permanently.

 

Squinting his eyes in the direction of the bright sun, Justin asked, "When do you have to go back?"

 

"I can't stay long. I catch a bus back at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning," Ethan answered, a pout on his lips.

 

Justin scowled, before looking to see Ethan's expression. He laughed, as he elbowed him in the ribs. "You're such a geek."

 

"A geek that is madly in love..." Ethan moved closer, his lips lowering to Justin's, a sigh passing through his lips as their kiss began gently... until passion began to explode between them again. He moaned as Justin pulled him beneath him on the sand; placing the thought to the back of his mind that Justin's feelings often seemed to primarily hinge on the physical... and not with the depth of emotion he felt for him. He would never give up on them. Justin was the one for him. He believed in time that Justin would love him just as much. For now, he could be satisfied with this. One thing was for certain, Justin was the best lover he's ever had. Just a kiss from his lips and he was seduced. Sometimes he wondered if Justin realized how seductive he truly was. Ethan couldn't imagine any man ever saying no to him. He hoped to keep him satisfied enough that he wouldn't think of looking for another. What worried him the most was the time they spent apart. If only Justin would come and live with him.

 

Little did Ethan know... that was when all his problems would truly begin.

 


 

The following night, Justin arrived home late for dinner... although, not by design. When he viewed the scowl on his father's face; then the disappointment on his mother's, he knew this meal wasn't going to end well. It was one of those moments where you knew a destiny-altering moment was about to occur, similar to the feeling when you are skydiving and the parachute doesn't open... or the impending doom when you know your train is about to derail. Shaking his head trying to clear it from such morbid thoughts, Justin sat down at the table... hoping his intuition was way off.

 

"Sorry I'm late," he mumbled. "I lost track of the time."

 

"Dinner's ice-cold now..." his mother told him, her eyes almost begging him to be silent and not fight with his father tonight.

 

"This is bullshit, Justin... and it needs to stop," Craig hissed, his eyes narrowing angrily on his son.

 

Justin looked back and forth between his parents. "I picked up your suits from the cleaners, Dad... just as you asked. It's not my fault traffic was heavy."

 

"That's nonsense, Justin. You had all day to do that." Jennifer frowned at her son. "I don't understand what's gotten into you lately."

 

A grunt came from Craig. "I can tell you exactly what's gotten into him, Jennifer. It's that damned boy that visits him so much..."

 

Justin tightened his lips. He looked at his father, his eyes darkening in his own anger. "I am of legal age, Dad. What I do is none of your damned business!"

 

"While you're living in my house - everything you do is my business!" Craig snarled. "You forget that I've seen the two of you together. I don't want you anywhere near that freak!"

 

"Freak? Really, Dad?" Justin could barely keep a handle on his anger. He had never wanted to lash out at his bigoted father as much as he did right now. Thank God he hadn't brought Ethan to meet his parents. "It will make you happy to know that Ethan returned to Dante's Cove this morning."

 

"Good riddance. Those worthless homos don't belong here at Laguna Beach!"

 

Jennifer's eyes widened. "Craig! What are you talking about?"

 

"His friend Ethan is queer. Tell your mother, Justin."

 

"Is that true, Justin?" she asked, her jaw dropping down in surprise.

 

"That's his business. I'm not discussing any of it."

 

Craig swore repeatedly. "That answers that. Tell me, Justin... where does that leave you? I'm telling you right now... I won't have any faggots living in my house!"

 

"Faggot?" Justin repeated, his disgust and contempt for his father had never been greater than it was right now. "So what if I am. Maybe you should be the one to leave, Dad. You seem to be the one with the problem!"

 

"Justin, please!" Jennifer protested. "We can work this out."

 

"There's nothing to work out, Jennifer. Your son has crossed the line with his disgusting lifestyle. If he isn't out of here tonight... then I am leaving." Craig stood to his feet, throwing his napkin down angrily as he glared at both of them.

 

Jennifer gasped, unable to fathom this escalating out of control so quickly. "Don't be ridiculous, Craig. No one needs to leave."

 

"Let him go, Mom. The man's an asshole. We both know that!" Justin snapped back, uncaring of the consequences... only knowing it was time his mother did what was right and stood up for him. In hindsight, Justin knew he should have seen it coming. He raised his chin, staring at his father dead-on. "I'm queer and damned proud of it." In what was a mere instant, Craig's hand backhanded him across the face, his neck snapping back from the force.

 

"Faggot!" Craig snarled, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides.

 

Justin watched in disbelief when his mother bolted in between them, not thinking at the time she could have been doing so solely to shield him from another assault. Tears streamed down his face, as he looked at her standing at her husband's side. "I can't believe you intend to stand by him. Fuck this. I'm out of here!"

 

"Wait! Justin! Where are you going?" Jennifer demanded, helpless tears sliding down her own face.

 

He turned to face her, his words almost hollow when he spoke, "I should have done this a long time ago. I'm going to Dante's Cove." Justin didn't wait to hear his father's insulting comments, nor his mother's pleas, his footsteps carrying him swiftly to his room to pack. He'd call Ethan as soon as he was packed. At least he knew Ethan wanted him. He might be the only person in the world that truly cared about him. Right now he wouldn't allow himself to care how much his mother had broken his heart by standing by her repellent husband... his own father. He did have someone who loved him. Once he was settled in Dante's Cove, Justin vowed he would put all remnants of his life in Laguna Beach behind him. Justin swore he would never look back.

 


 

Justin was on the bus, his mind totally blocking out his surroundings. He actually felt an inner peace within him. One that is derived from knowing a new reality was about to begin... one that he genuinely believed was the best thing that could happen for him. He pulled a book from his bag, an old book that had been in his possession for many years... but one he had never taken the time to read. Focusing on the title for a moment - Dante's Inferno - Justin began to read. Not long after he began reading, his eyes started to become heavy. It was the strangest feeling really. He hadn't been the least bit tired when he'd opened the book.

 

Now, as he began to drift into sleep, he could envision flames engulfing what appeared to be two young children... and in the same instance, he could hear and see a woman - menacing and evil as she looked at him. In his dream world, Justin didn't know this woman. He thought he would remember her if he had. A strange sequence began to occur. It was as if he began to see events of one person's lifetime passing before his eyes. He felt like an intruder on the memories. The woman's eyes began to glow, almost as if cursing him for being a part of them. Then, he heard a voice. A man that was calling out to him. Justin heard his name whispered... and a commanding entreaty followed swiftly after. The voice seemed to caress him with the velvety strands.

 

Surely he couldn't be sleeping. Nothing could feel as vivid and real as this.

 

He heard the voice again.

 

"Justin..." The voice was silky. He could almost feel it reaching out to touch him. In the deep recesses of his subconscious, he found himself wanting that voice to touch him. "Justin... come to me." The command echoed - over and over. The intensity was almost frightening.

 

At once he was awake, his hand slightly shaking as he reached down to pick up the book that had fallen from his grasp onto the floor of the bus. He looked outside to determine his surroundings, realizing he was very close to Dante's Cove now. Justin slid the book back into his bag, deciding he was more than done with this book for now. Fuck, he thought to himself. What had just happened? He knew it had all been a dream. But never had he felt one that seemed so real. And that voice... he could still hear the whispers in his mind. It was almost hypnotizing.

 

An hour later found him at the drop-off at Dante's Cove. He hadn't expected the silence. It was almost eerie. Ethan had often told him about the late and raucous parties at Hotel Dante. Justin found himself looking forward to meeting Ethan's friends. A few he had heard a great deal about. Placing faces with the stories he had heard interested him more than he could have imagined. He walked in the direction of where Ethan's instructions had told him the hotel was located; finding himself enjoying the paced walk.. the stillness of the evening almost comforting him after what he had just left behind in Laguna Beach.

 

It wasn't long before he arrived at the large structure that had the sign in front - Hotel Dante. It wasn't what he had expected at all. If he thought he'd find a resort hotel... this was anything but that. The simplicity of the building of long ago really was charming in its own way. Outside of the normal upkeep, Justin had the feeling this was very close to the original. For some unknown reason, he found that intriguing. Stepping up to the building, Justin was slightly startled out of his thoughts by a man that was more than obvious about wanting to make his acquaintance. "Hey," Justin said in greeting. "I'm Justin Taylor."

 

The oiled-up man looked Justin up and down. A smile of recognition on his lips. "Oh yeah. Ethan's Justin. I've heard all about you. Too bad he couldn't be here to meet you."

 

"Ethan's not back yet?" Justin asked, finding that a bit surprising.

 

"No. He had to work late. His boss is a slave driver." He held out his hand, shaking it briefly before he said, "I'm Brandon." He gave Justin a suggestive wink, before he offered, "You know, I would be more than glad to show you around... if you know what I mean."

 

Justin laughed somewhat uncomfortably. This wasn't how he wanted to start off with Ethan's friend. "Uhhh no, that's okay. Just point me toward Ethan's room. I'll just wait for him."

 

Brandon sighed, shaking his head sadly. "That's too bad... oh well, can't blame a guy for trying... right?" He smiled, motioning him toward the stairs. "Follow me. I'll take you up." They were up the first flight of stairs, when Brandon turned to Justin to suggest, "Hey, let's see what Michael's up to."

 

Justin recognized that name immediately... remembering from Ethan that Michael had been his best friend since they were in school. "Sure. Why not."

 

Brandon knocked lightly on the door, walking inside without an invitation, quickly making the introductions. "Michael, this is Justin."

 

"Justin?" Michael asked, lying in bed and leafing through a book. He didn't elaborate that he knew precisely who Justin was... nor did he express how much the blond's presence was abhorrent to him. He figured Justin would get that in time.

 

"Uh, yeah." Justin held out his hand, pulling it back when Michael completely ignored the friendly gesture. "I'm moving in with Ethan... at least for now."

 

"Oh right. You're Ethan's new hook-up." Michael looked Justin over as if he found him completely lacking. "We'll see how long that lasts."

 

Justin stared down the man he knew to be Ethan's best friend, uncertain how to best handle his obvious contempt of him. "I'm actually not a hook-up. We've been seeing each other for months now."

 

"Right. Months." Michael sat up on the side of his bed, tossing his book to the side. "Maybe we can get a few beers sometime. After all, we have something in common."

 

Brandon rolled his eyes to the ceiling, grabbing Justin's arm to urge him from the room. "Let's go, Justin. I'll show you to Ethan's room."

 

Justin ignored Brandon's attempts, realizing something was going on here... something he probably should know about. "Something in common?" he asked, having no doubt he and Michael would never be the best of friends.

 

"Yep. Just before the two of you got together, Ethan and I had a one-off. It was good... but we decided our friendship was more important," Michael told Justin, watching the newcomer closely. "However, back in high school... Ethan was in love with me." His eyes coldly flickered over Justin, before a mocking smile crossed his lips. "Of course, that's the past. He has you now."

 

Justin's smile didn't quite reach his eyes. "That's good then. You realized what was more important." He followed Brandon from the room, shaking his head in disbelief that Ethan had allowed him to walk into this meeting. It was apparent Michael was the one in love with Ethan. Justin had the feeling Michael could be a big problem for them.

 

"Sorry about that, Justin. I figured you knew..." Brandon told him, having no problem in being Justin's port in the storm... should the hot blond decide he needed one tonight.

 

Shrugging, Justin told him, "No big deal. We all have a past... right?"

 

They were almost to Ethan's room, when Brandon hurriedly pulled him to the door down the hall. "You've got to meet someone first. She's really cool."

 

Justin's eyes lit up knowingly. "Daphne. I've heard a lot about her."

 

"You got it. I guess you and Ethan are really close. He isn't a big talker... but you seem to know everything about his life here."

 

Justin smiled. "I like to think so."

 

They stepped inside the room. The girl was standing at the window looking out, turning immediately on their arrival. A beaming smile spread across her face. "You must be Justin. I feel as if I've known you forever. Welcome to the Hotel Dante."

 

"Thanks." Justin felt more than slightly guilty at how everyone was reacting to him. He could only remember snippets of what Ethan had told him about these friends of his... when they obviously knew him so well. He hoped in time he could feel as committed to him as Ethan apparently was to him. They would be living together now. There was no greater test than that.

 

Justin walked around the room, his eyes taking in the various paintings scattered about. He whistled softly. "Wow. These are incredible. I'm an artist myself."

 

"Really?" Daphne asked in excitement. "Ethan hadn't told me that. What do you think of them?"

 

"I see history in your work... and a deep emotion that's really hard to convey through the canvas... but you have. So very well," Justin praised her, knowing he'd never meant anything more.

 

"Thank you, Justin." She beamed at his accolades, unable to express how much his words meant to her. "There is a lot of history here at Hotel Dante... much of it is very dark. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent researching the magic and mystery of this place."

 

Justin nodded looking at one painting, in particular, his eyes transfixed... something about the ancient etchings prodding his memory. Yet, he couldn't place the memory. Strangely enough, though... he knew he had seen this or something very similar before. "This one is interesting. What is it?"

 

"It was betrayal and revenge. These two were engaged, very close to their marriage. He betrayed her and paid the price with his life. For all accounts of their history, it was all quite tragic." Daphne looked at the portrait that contained the symbolic markings, not surprised that Justin couldn't decipher them. She knew only those knowledgeable in the ways of Tresum could understand. She was a mere novice... but already she could see so much. In time she knew she would understand even more. She grinned at him knowingly. "Ethan should be home soon. Why don't you go get ready for him." Daphne winked at him. "And don't worry. We'll understand if your room gets a bit loud tonight..."

 

Laughing, Justin told her, "It's been really great to meet you, Daphne. I hope we get to know each other much better."

 

"Me too, Justin. I have a feeling we will."

 

Justin didn't hesitate in taking Daphne's advice. He went into Ethan's room... now he supposed - their room, immediately slipping into the shower, the hot spray taking him away from what had been a tumultuous day. He couldn't shake the feeling that his day of discoveries wasn't over yet. It wasn't long before he felt a presence behind him. Justin smiled, turning into his boyfriend's arms, kissing him with all the intensity he knew to give. He didn't know why he felt so strongly... but he genuinely felt this was where he was meant to be. Whether it was with Ethan or not he wasn't sure... but Dante's Cove seemed to be the right fit for him. He imagined in time he would understand everything more clearly... but for now, this was more than good.

 

Hours later, he found himself jolting instantly awake and out of his boyfriend's arms when he heard that voice again. However, this time he was awake. Or was he? How could he be hearing that same voice when he was wide awake. He ran a hand through his hair. What the fuck was happening to him?

 


 

The next day followed a similar pattern. Ethan continued to dote on him... at times it felt almost overbearing. Was that normal? He wasn't familiar with love. He wondered if this was how it made someone behave. A part of him wanted to know... yet another wanted Ethan to ease off just a bit.

 

That night they went to the beach, it was dark all but for the smile fire Ethan had built. Ethan was on his knees blowing him when it happened again. So much closer this time... and infinitely more determined.

 

"Justin." He could see the cellar door rising. The same door he had earlier passed when he retrieved cases of beer. This time that door wasn't locked. It was lifting. Lights and smoke were rising from the depths. Justin knew the voice wanted him to go there. A part of him wanted to go as well, even if only to know who or what was at the end of that voice. "Justin." The voice became more urgent. The man's intent to be obeyed more than apparent. "Justin. Come to me now."

 

He could no longer resist the call. After making his excuses to Ethan, he moved in the direction of the Hotel Dante, the cellar his destination. Something was awaiting him there. Or was it someone? No matter which, he had to go. His will was no longer his own.

 

Justin opened the cellar door, slowly making his way down the steps, his eyes narrowing as they tried to adjust to the darkness. When his eyes fell on the captive figure of the old man, his arms stretched out and chained above him, he rushed forward knowing he must help this man. As he moved closer, Justin covered his nose with the back of his hand. The smell was nearly nauseating. All was forgotten when he heard the pleas for help.

 

"Help me..." the weakened voice spoke. "I'm dying."

 

Without further thought, Justin released the chain around one wrist, watching as the man's arm fell to his side... unaware of how his destiny was soon to begin. Justin grasped the man's arm to lend support, unaware that such was far from needed, before asking him, "Who did this to you?"

 

The old man answered, "The one that lives upstairs." He grasped the side of Justin's face, looking deeply into the beautiful and expressive blue eyes for the first time. He continued, "The one that haunts your dreams."

 

Justin's eyes became wild as understanding assailed him. "The woman from my nightmares did this to you?"

 

"Yes, yes..." he murmured almost incoherently. Then, the old man spoke no more, his free hand jerking Justin closer, his lips finding Justin's in a deep, penetrating kiss.

 

After a long intensive kiss, Justin managed to pull himself free, the nausea rising in his stomach. He watched in horror as the man looked up at the other restraint and it immediately fell away. He couldn't look away from him. Justin was speechless by the next words that came from the old man.

 

"Your kiss has set me free." The man reached out to touch Justin's cheek briefly, before he moved to release the chains from his ankles.

 

The scent of the man and the room overwhelmed Justin when he began to retch on the floor. Then, the most surprising thing of all happened. The smell was gone. Justin knew without looking that something had changed. He straightened to his full height, seeing that the man had done the same. Justin gasped and jumped when he found the old man had gone and a younger man appeared in his place. At first sight, Justin could clearly determine him to be the most beautiful man he had ever seen. Some might even call him a God. Justin wasn't certain he could dispute that. "Who are you?" Justin couldn't refrain from asking.

 

"Brian. Brian Kinney." His eyes probed the blue eyes intensively. So, this was his soulmate. He hadn't really believed such a man to exist... although, he knew such a man needed to exist in order for him to be free again. Only his soulmate would have heard his calls, ones his captivity couldn't protect the young boy from hearing. His eyes swept over the blond. Oh, this was going to be such fun. He hadn't possessed a man in over one-hundred and fifty-odd years. Brian decided he was liking his destiny more now. A destiny he couldn't wait to get started.

 

Justin's eyes landed on the dagger that lay on a nearby table, his hand reaching out to grab it... his instincts telling him this man was dangerous. In fact, the most dangerous man he would ever meet. He became filled with terror as he watched the ridiculously beautiful man's eyes become a glowing red, the man's eyes looking intently into his own as Justin began to feel the irresistible compulsion to run the blade across his own wrist. "No..." he cried out in horror, watching as he slid the blade along his flesh, blood gushing down his arm and onto the dagger.

 

Brian released Justin from the spell, knowing enough blood had been spilled. A taste of his soulmate was all he needed... his precious blood flowing within him. Now he could control him. Brian had so many plans on how best to utilize that control. It would be such a pleasure... for both of them. Brian picked up the dagger that Justin had dropped onto the cold, hard floor... his tongue stretching out to lick along the surface containing Justin's blood.

 

"Until next time," Brian said, his eyes looking at his reflection in the mirror, his hand moving to brush his hair away from his eyes. Tossing the dagger aside, he climbed up the steps to make his return into a foreign world... yet one that he would claim as his own. He smiled as he thought of his beautiful soulmate. A world wasn't all he would be claiming. He would possess the blond and bind them together for an eternity. Anyone who attempted to stop him would fall under his wrath. In doing so, they would feel the full power of Tresum. In time he would avenge the wrongs that had been committed against him... but for now, hunting and acquiring his prey was all that mattered.

 

TBC