- Text Size +

 

Justin looked around in great trepidation; he was in disbelief that his escape from the monster that had imprisoned him was so effortless. Something had to be missing. It couldn't be this easy. If so... he felt even weaker for not making an escape attempt much sooner. He continued to look around as Brian hailed a cab, uncertain if they should get inside it. Swallowing in the deepest of dread, Justin asked, "Do you really think a cab is safe? What if they work for Gary?"

 

"Relax, Sunshine. I have this all under control." Not nearly as calm as he tried to appear, Brian placed a smacking kiss on Justin's cheek... hoping to convince his nervous blond that all was well. He wouldn't feel that way until they were safely inside the American Embassy; in fact, he doubted he would breathe comfortably again until they were airborne and on their way home. Unfortunately, a risk needed to be taken to get them to those pivotal places. Staying on foot throughout, kept them as complete sitting ducks.

 

"I hope so..." Justin answered, his eyes narrowing dubiously on the cab driver that responded to Brian's call, to his relief finding nothing familiar about the man that seemed to be in his mid-thirties... and more importantly not connected to Gary Sapperstein. At least, he hoped he wasn't.

 

Sliding into the back seat after a reluctant Justin, he told the driver, "We need to get to the American Embassy. The quicker you get us there - the larger your tip..."

 

"Yes, Sir..." the cabbie returned, his eyes sharp on the well-dressed man, having no doubt this could be an extremely lucrative fare for him. "The Embassy isn't too far. It should only take about fifteen minutes."

 

"Perfect..." Brian answered, his hand reaching out to clasp Justin's tightly in his own. "Hang in there, Sunshine. This will be over soon."

 

Smiling tremulously, Justin told him, "I just want to go home... and with you. Promise that you'll do that, and not stay here to take down Gary."

 

His eyes connecting with the cab drivers in the rearview mirror, Brian silenced his partner's words, "Let's not talk about him now."

 

Justin grimaced realizing his mistake in speaking Gary's name. Of course, Brian wouldn't want to talk about him - here and now. They didn't know if they could even trust this cab driver. What if he had heard, and alerted him? Or... even worse, what if he took them to Gary? He felt his hand trembling within Brian's tight grasp. When would he ever learn to think before speaking? The past three years should have taught him that; however, it seemed that he still had much to learn. "Sorry. I wasn't thinking."

 

"It's fine." Brian's eyes were watchful on the cab driver; right now, intending on leaving nothing to chance. It was time he inputs a little insurance policy. Opening his phone, he was relieved to find Carl's phone number in his contacts. He hadn't even been certain it was still there. "I think this will keep things on the up and up..." Brian drawled, his finger pushing the button to connect.

 

"Horvath..." Carl answered gruffly at the other end.

 

"Carl, Brian Kinney here. I need a bit of a favor... and I have some news..."

 

Wide-eyed, Justin listened to Brian... confused as to what he was doing. "B-Brian? Over the phone! Really!?"

 

"Relax, twat. I know what I'm doing..." Brian rolled his eyes at Justin's constant interference. Some things never changed... and he couldn't be pleased about anything more.

 

Carl grunted on the other end. "Let's start with the news. I'm sure it will factor in with your ‘favor'."

 

"Indeed it does." Brian was slightly relieved when the cab driver seemed focused on the road and completely disinterested in his phone call. His knowledge of the land was minimal at best. At this point, he couldn't determine if they were being driven to the destination he had instructed. Only time would tell. "I'm in Barbados..." Brian looked in Justin's direction. "And... I discovered a miracle."

 

Miracle? To his knowledge - Brian Kinney didn't do miracles, nor anything intangible that he couldn't actively see or touch. Carl groaned. "You're drunk in another country... and you're calling me? I don't have time for this, Brian."

 

"I've never been more sober or more determined. I'm making this call in the unfortunate event that something happens to me before booking a safe return home." Brian's eyes stared straight ahead as he spoke, making certain he would detect any suspicious behavior in their driver.

 

Carl's eyes widened. "Hell, Brian. What kind of trouble are you in?"

 

"This needs to stay between us, Carl. I don't want anyone finding out like this." Brian took in a deep breath, knowing Carl would find him to be even more crazed when he finished. However, this was the best form of insurance they could have not knowing if their driver could be trusted. "I came to Barbados to retrieve Justin's lost paintings. I found something even better." Brian turned to look into the beautiful eyes that had never stopped haunting him. "Not only were Justin's paintings here... but the artist himself."

 

"Wait a minute, Brian. You're not making any sense. We buried Justin over three years ago. I was one of the pallbearers." Carl took in a deep breath, before slowly releasing it. "Think about what you're saying, Brian. It's just not possible. Now... why don't you go back to your hotel room and sleep it off. I'm sure things will look clearer in the morning."

 

Brian laughed, his eyes staying on the road, his comfort rising that the driver was taking them to their specified location. He could see professional buildings in the distance... a good sign they were heading in the right direction. "Sleeping this off is the last thing I want to do... excluding the three years that have been robbed from both me and Justin. I swear to you, though - that son-of-a-bitch is going to pay for that!"

 

Justin sighed dramatically. "Let me talk to him, Brian. He isn't going to believe you."

 

"Brian, we all know how much you loved Justin... but hell, it's been a long time. You need to move on!" Carl agitatedly told him, knowing Debbie would probably crack him upside the head if she heard him being insensitive to the man she considered to be one of her own. Debbie's regard for Brian only seemed to heighten after Justin's death. She had regaled that Brian's own mother wasn't worth a damn; in fact, she had gone on to say Joan didn't deserve the title of ‘mother'. No matter how often they disagreed, or she grumbled at him for one reason or another, she loved Brian Kinney like a son. And that was exactly how she would always see him.

 

A short sigh of relief escaped Justin's lips when he saw the sign displaying the American Embassy. He had been nervous, and looking at the tightness around Brian's lips, he knew he had felt the same. Reaching for Brian's phone, Justin spoke into it succinctly, "Carl, this is Justin Taylor. Brian isn't either drunk or hallucinating. I have been held against my will in Barbados for the past three years by a very dangerous man. We are about to go into the Embassy now... and Brian was just hoping a call to someone alerting them of my situation would help."

 

"J-Justin? It's really you!?" Carl croaked out, unable to believe what he was hearing, but remembering the young man's voice very well. There wasn't a doubt the voice belonged to Justin Taylor. "Does anyone know? Your mom and Debbie will be ecstatic!"

 

"No! They don't know anything... and they can't know until I get safely back to Pittsburgh. Promise me you'll keep our secret, Carl..."

 

Carl groaned, he should have expected this at the very least. "Okay, Justin. I don't like it, and I know Debbie is going to be mad as hell at me, but this is your story to tell. And Justin... I can't tell you how glad I am that you're alive."

 

"Me too..." Justin grinned sheepishly at Brian, silently watching as Brian motioned Justin to step from the car at the same time as he did. His beautiful hero wasn't about to let him out of his sight for a single minute. "I'll give the phone back to Brian. I think he has something else to say."

 

Brian paid the cab driver a substantial tip added to the fare and watched as he sped off away from the American Embassy building. Clearly, the man didn't want to be here. He had to wonder about the reason for that. Even if he contacted Sapperstein immediately, they would be safe inside. He wasn't about to worry about that. Urging Justin toward the building, Brian spoke into the phone, "Carl, we just arrived at the American Embassy. I'm just trying to get us a safe passage from this island. I thought by announcing that Justin is alive, our safety might be a bit more enhanced."

 

"Good idea, Brian. I'm going to make some calls. I have some well-connected friends myself. In the meantime, you should be in good hands."

 

"I'll call you when we get finished... and hopefully we can catch a flight directly afterward. I want Justin away from this madman as quickly as possible..." Brian's lips twisted savagely as he thought of Gary Sapperstein. He hated leaving this island without dealing with the Sap personally, but Justin's physical safety and state of mind were much more important. Sapperstein would go down - one way or another. All that mattered now was that he had Justin back. He was determined that continued to be true.

 


 

"Would you mind repeating that?" Gary Sapperstein hissed into the phone.

 

"I just dropped off Justin and another man at the American Embassy. The other man was older and very arrogant. He knew where he wanted to go, and he watched over your young man the entire time."

 

"Fucking Kinney!" Gary swore incessantly. "It didn't occur to you to bring them to me!"

 

"I'm sorry, Sir. I didn't know what to do. T-the older man was watching me like a hawk... and then, he made a phone call. After that, it was pointless."

 

A chill ran down Gary's spine. It was bad enough that Kinney had made it to the Embassy. He didn't have anyone on his payroll there. "What kind of phone call?"

 

"I don't know who he was speaking to; I was trying to appear disinterested. All I know is that he informed someone that Justin Taylor is alive and well. The boy talked to them too."

 

"Fuck!" Gary exploded. His entire life was about to fall apart. He had to get off of this island now. Not only would criminal charges be filed against him, but his drug-dealing activities would also be investigated. Barbados was no longer safe for him. "Let me know if anything else occurs to you. I have my own loose ends to tie up."

 

Hanging up the phone, Gary moved about his estate, barking commands at everyone. He implemented his getaway plan in the case of the direst of emergencies. His drugs would be transported to a safe location... still on the island, but not as easy to find. He would have them safely dispersed to his various dealers on the island, quickly sold... his pockets all the richer. Opening his safe, he removed a large sum of cash, a fake passport, and an ID. Reaching into the closet, he grabbed a bag that was always packed for a quick escape. He would be in the sky before Kinney left the Embassy.

 

Once more... one step ahead of Justin's fucking hero.

 

A sinister smile curved his lips. Kinney might have won this battle... but the war was far from over. All he had to do now was lay low for a while. His little captive hadn't seen the last of him. Far from it, actually.

 

As he slipped into one of his cars... one not even connected to his own name, Gary drove to the airport... with an evil smile on his lips. Where better to go than the place this all started? He was going to Pittsburgh. And when the time was right, and the reunited lovers least expected it - their world would come crashing down around them. This time, it would be forever... and totally irreversible.

 

TBC