- Text Size +

 

Michael looked around the beautiful living room of Brian's home, in fact, the home that Justin had named as Britin, his brow furrowed in concentration as he tried to remember if everything was still as it had been three years ago. He smiled when Ben came up behind him, arms wrapping around his waist, his familiar breath fanning his neck... never more conscious of how fortunate the two of them were. "I wonder why Brian summoned us here. It's such a sad place... no matter how beautiful."

 

"That it is, Michael. Brian and Justin should have had their whole lives in front of them. There has never been a greater tragedy..." Ben murmured in the deepest of sorrow.

 

Emmett came through the entrance, with Debbie and Ted directly on his heels. At once, asking them, "What's with the armed guard outside? And why are we even here?"

 

Shrugging, Michael moved to greet them, his confusion just as great as his friend's. "I have no idea. I guess we'll find out when Brian gets here. He called from the airport and said he'd be here within the hour. That was about thirty minutes ago."

 

Debbie rushed forward, her eyes moving back and forth between Michael and Ben. "Brian didn't give you any clue?"

 

"Not a one. He just said everyone needed to be here..." Michael looked to the door hoping it was Brian, only to see Jennifer and Daphne moving into the room. "He called both of you too? I don't get it. What the hell is going on!?"

 

Daphne burst into the room. "What's with the guards? They searched us on the way through." Seeing the understanding on everyone's faces, she asked, "You too?"

 

Emmett worriedly bit at his lip. "I hope Brian didn't get into trouble in Barbados. I can't imagine what else this could mean."

 

Ben frowned. That thought hadn't escaped him, but one he hoped wouldn't be true. "Let's not jump to conclusions. Brian will be here soon, and hopefully with all the answers."

 

Jennifer shuddered in morbid horror. "I can't imagine why he'd want to meet everyone here. Unless he managed to acquire Justin's paintings. But to bring them here would only cause him more pain..."

 

Michael scowled. "I think he should just sell this house. It's past time he moved on with his life. Justin would have wanted him to do that..." He grimaced when Ben's arm tightened around his waist, causing his eyes to focus on the paleness that suddenly came over Jennifer's face. "Uhhh, I'm sorry, Jennifer. I didn't mean anything by that."

 

A grunt followed. "He never does, Mother Taylor." Brian stood in the doorway, his eyes sweeping the room, a slight smile on his face as he observed everyone in place.

 

Jennifer looked from Brian to Michael, a shaky laugh escaping. "It's okay, Michael. You're right. It's time life went on. Justin would have wanted that - for all of us."

 

"Perhaps so," Brian replied blandly. "However... highly unnecessary."

 

Ted moved forward, instantly detecting something different in Brian's demeanor. He knew him so well. It wasn't something he could identify, but he knew something was different. Working with Brian Kinney on a daily basis showed many characteristics coming to life; at least, that had been the case for him. "Brian? What's wrong?"

 

Brian smiled. Wrong? Despite the danger that followed them, many things were now right again. Soon, they would all understand that. It amazed him that Ted was the one to see how off things were with him, and not Michael, his lifelong best friend. "Everyone take a seat... and all will be revealed." When he noticed not all of them moved to follow his directions, he arched a brow, stating more forcefully, "This isn't progressing until everyone is seated." The last thing he wanted was to distress Justin further by picking everyone off of the floor when his ghostly form appeared before them.

 

Irritated looks passing between most of those delaying, and grumbles of Brian mysteriously evading supplying any immediate answers, they all took a seat around the room, impatiently looking toward the leader of this bizarre get-together. For a long moment, silence prevailed before they noticed Brian looking over his shoulder, curtly asking, "Do we look good, Carl?"

 

Debbie's eyes widened. "Carl? What kind of trouble are you in, Brian?"

 

Carl peeked his head inside the door, smiling at his wife encouragingly. "Don't worry, Debbie. Brian isn't in any trouble." To himself, he added - at least, not for the moment. Right now, he wasn't sure what worried him the most - Brian's explosion of temper toward Gary Sapperstein, or Sapperstein getting his hands on Brian. He stepped into the room, taking his stance in the corner, his eyes able to watch everyone entering and exiting the room. Nodding to Brian, Carl answered, "Looks good, Brian. The guards are outside, as well as an agent... and more on the way. There's no time like the present."

 

Debbie glared at her husband. "What are you keeping from me, Carl Horvath!?"

 

Remaining in the doorway, not wanting any of his or Justin's friends and family to see his surprise until he was both ready and assured of their safety, Brian inclined his head in Carl's direction, never as thankful for their friendship as he was right now, especially knowing the dutiful officer would soon be facing his hot-tempered wife's wrath at the vital secret they shared. "Okay then, let's get started." Brian glanced over his shoulder, noticing Justin fidgeting on his feet anxiously, knowing his blond was ready to move forward with a reunion none of them ever expected to enjoy.

 

"As you know, I went to Barbados to retrieve Justin's last paintings. I found much more than that..."

 

Michael gasped in dismay. "Oh my God. You got married to an islander."

 

Ben nudged Michael in the ribs. "Will you be quiet, and let Brian tell his story..."

 

Meeting a glare from his best friend, Michael grudgingly complied, "Sorry..."

 

"As I was saying..." Brian spat out, his impatience swiftly growing in large proportions. As much as he wanted Justin to be reunited with his friends and his mom, he also wanted to be alone with him, too. It had been three long agonizing years. It was time for their own reunion to commence. "I found a miracle in Barbados... one that will be life-changing for all of us."

 

Jennifer looked at Brian expectantly, more than curious as to what could have diverted Brian from his intentions regarding Justin's paintings. Despite being relieved that Brian seemed to be moving on, she also felt sadness that her son's last works wouldn't be returning home where they belonged. "So, you didn't find the paintings?"

 

"I found them; I just didn't have the time to retrieve them from the gallery," he explained to Jennifer. He looked at her apologetically, before continuing, "The collection wasn't complete; I had to leave before collecting any of them." Brian looked over his shoulder, winking at Justin shuffling his feet impatiently behind him. "We had to leave..."

 

"We?" Daphne parroted instantly.

 

A soft giggle sounded from behind him. Brian knew he needed to bring Justin forward before he gave himself away. Of course, Daphne would be the voice that soothed him, outside of his own. He doubted anyone other than the two of them could achieve that now. A loving look in his eyes, one that had only been given to one man - ever, Brian jerked his head sideways, beckoning his beautiful blond forward. "Witness the miracle no one thought could ever happen."

 

With tentative steps, Justin moved forward, his eyes anxious as he sought out both Daphne and his mom... only touching briefly on his other friends. "H-hey..." he stammered nervously, uncertain of what to say in such a moment.

 

Jennifer released an uncustomary shriek before leaping from her chair and running toward her son as if her very life depended on it. She reached him, her hands framing his face in her hands, tears of joy and disbelief immediately streaming down her face. "J-Justin? Is it really you?"

 

Feeling a tightness in his chest, sobs began to echo from deep within his throat. He slid his arms around her waist, hugging her tightly to him. "It's me, Mom. It's really me."

 

Daphne ran from her own seat, her arms flailing at her sides as she moved forward. Her words coming out jumbled. "Justin? How? When? W-what happened?" Seeming afraid to touch the man that she feared to be a ghost, her words kept tumbling free. "W-where have you been, Justin?"

 

Emmett's jaw dropped down, his eyes wide... the shock clearly displayed on his face.

 

Michael, Ben, and Ted all looked at each other, none of them knowing what to say.

 

Debbie stood to her feet, rushing forward to crush them all in a tight embrace. "Sunshine! I can't believe it's you." Squeezing the group of Justin, Jennifer, and Daphne in a smothering hug, she babbled on, "We were devastated when you left us. I can't believe you're alive!"

 

Brian moved in closer to slide his arm in between Justin's body and Debbie's possibly bruising hold. "He won't be for long if you squeeze the life out of him..." Brian replied drolly, his eyes sharpening on the tenseness that overcame Justin when he began to be so tightly held. "Let's give him a chance to breathe... okay?"

 

Uncharacteristically, Debbie apologized, her hands falling away from the three of them almost instantly. "I'm sorry, Sunshine. It's just that I'm so happy... and so surprised."

 

Smiling tightly at her, Brian nodded, slipping a protective, and he hoped, comforting arm around Justin's waist. In the past, he knew Justin would have been fine with this attention... but this Justin of today was different. He was guarded, reserved, and frightened. Destroying Sapperstein was the only thing that would fully bring his precious boy back. He was determined to make that happen. "Let's all have a seat... and we'll explain everything."

 

Debbie turned to catch her husband's guilt-ridden face. "Carl Horvath! You knew about this and didn't say a word. How could you do that!?"

 

"Relax, Debbie. I just found out yesterday." He cast a reproachful look her way. "Let Brian tell his story. It will all make more sense then."

 

She continued to glare at her husband, refusing to back down for an instant. "We'll discuss this later..."

 

Carl groaned. "I'm sure we will."

 

Emmett leaped to his feet when Justin got close, his arms reaching out to tug him away from Brian. He began to sob in uncontrollable tears, the force of his sobbing causing his body to shake. "I'm so happy, baby. I can't believe you're here... alive. It's a miracle!"

 

Brian sighed. Perhaps this wasn't the best of ideas. He'd known they would all be excited, but he hadn't really processed the fact that others had missed Justin almost as much as he had. Obviously, this was a miracle for all of them. "Okay, Honeycutt... let him go. He's been through enough."

 

Ben smiled at Justin as Brian moved him along, instinctively sensing that Justin didn't want all of this coddling. Something was very different with the young man. What it was, though, he didn't have a clue. "It's good to have you home, Justin. I'm sure there's quite a story attached to your absence... but whatever it is, I'm here for you. And so is Michael." He fixed a stern look on his husband, telling him in a single glance that no disrespectful remarks toward Justin would be tolerated. "Isn't that right, Michael?"

 

"Uhhh yeah, Ben... of course..." Michael looked from Brian and Justin, back to his stern husband. What the fuck did he think he was going to do? Justin had been back for mere minutes, and already he was suspected of attacking him. He wouldn't do that. He had moved past that long ago. Now, he just wanted Brian to be happy. He had accepted a long time ago that Justin was the only man that could do that. Of course, he did want to know where Justin had been hiding all of this time... and in particular, why had he let everyone assume he was dead. Torturing them with his loss. Brian especially...

 

Brian sat in an unoccupied chair, pulling Justin to sit on his lap... unwilling to let his precious blond out of his sight or grasp for a solitary moment. They were home now. Safe within the walls of Britin. He would make certain that safety remained a reality. Kissing Justin softly on the cheek, he gently asked him, "Do you want to do this... or shall I?"

 

Justin smiled at Brian tremulously. His hero. Then, now, and always. "You do it, Brian. I'm a bit emotional right now."

 

Slipping his arm snugly around Justin's waist, but not enough to be in any way restraining, Brian answered him, "That's what I thought."

 

Jennifer looked at them anxiously, and next to her, Daphne fidgeted nervously in her seat. Unable to remain quiet a moment longer, Jennifer demanded, "Okay, Brian. Let's hear it. Where has my son been? And why does he seem so frightened around us?"

 

Feeling Justin trembling on his lap, Brian cursed himself and the Feds that had insisted on rushing Justin back into the land of the living. He wasn't ready for this kind of attention. In particular, he wasn't ready for everyone to be grabbing at him, holding him in tight, suffocating embraces... whether well-intentioned or not. "I want to make this short. Right now, Justin needs rest, and the comfort of his own home."

 

Everyone looked at Brian with wide-eyed, attentive expressions, all of them realizing that Brian's news would be bad. If they hadn't initially discerned that, they had now. Justin's paleness, and intense nervousness, so opposite of the young man they knew and loved, was a glaring indication that horror had visited the young man. A horror that seemed to still be with him.

 

"Justin was kidnapped by a vile man. In fact, a murderous drug dealer. He's been held against his will for the past three years." He paused while each of them processed the beginning of the story, more than aware that questions would quickly follow. "The torment he has endured is more than most men could handle." Brian looked at Justin with loving, and concerned eyes. "Our nightmare isn't over yet, but we are together again."

 

Michael gaped along with everyone else, urgently asking, "Who, Brian? Who would do this?"

 

Brian's lips twisted into a cold, uncompromising line. "Gary Sapperstein." He heard gasps moving all around the room, his rage resurfacing as he told Justin's tragic story. "Sapperstein committed horrendous acts on Justin; he escaped capture, but appears to be hunting us still - Justin in particular."

 

Justin shivered in Brian's lap, his lower lip trembling as he feared the reality that Gary could bring down on them. "He's a monster..." Justin whispered brokenly. "Gary won't give up until he gets me back."

 

His eyes turning black, Brian hissed, "If he comes near you again, Sunshine, I will kill him with my own hands." Uncaring of all the shocked eyes upon them, and of the incriminating statement he had just made, Brian affixed a hot, possessive gaze on the man he loved... the only man he would ever love. "I lost you once; I won't do so again."

 

TBC