- Text Size +

 

Gary paced in his hotel room; the hour late, mindful that he needed to get some rest so he could begin the next step in his journey. The call tonight had been a mistake. It hadn't been due to worry of being monitored, or even being traced. No, it had been more unnerving than that. Kinney had succeeded in undoing all he had accomplished in the past three years. The most troubling part of all was that he had done so in a matter of days. Now, he was seething in rage as he recalled how Justin had stood up to him. The boy should be shaking in fear now, willingly agreeing to all of his demands. Justin knew what he was capable of - especially pertaining to him. This new bravado in his hot little toy vastly limited his options. Justin would never meet him halfway. Taking him by force again was his only choice.

 

In the back of his mind, he asked himself if Justin was really worth it. So much aggravation. Not to mention the risk of exposure being one of the FBI's most wanted. He didn't fail to realize that he could be in another country, soaking up the sun, and doing what he did best. Controlling and menacing others. A cruel smile twisted his lips. Despite that, he knew his answer. Yes, Justin was worth it. Not only did he miss that young, beautiful body... he also missed that fear he so flawlessly instilled in him. This was not only an acquisition he desired, but also one that made him save face. In his world, weakness wouldn't be excused or tolerated. Once he had Justin back, the boy would see the error of his ways... and he would be even more feared within his circles.

 

His biggest mistake had been in letting Kinney live all these years, forever holding him over Justin's head as leverage. He should have known that would be his ultimate downfall. He couldn't dwell on that now, though. That mistake could still be remedied... and it would be as soon as he had his hands on Justin again.

 

He almost leaped across the room when his hotel phone began to ring. There wasn't a doubt in his mind who was on the other end. He hated relying on others for his information... especially those that supplied it from long distances. Particularly since he had issued the order that he would be making the contact, and that he shouldn't be called unless the most dire of circumstances.

 

He was fortunate to have the surveillance in place within Kinney's home. At the time, that had been an added measure of safety... now it was his stepping stone to the timing of his next move. He didn't plan on that being much longer. Sitting idly by was just as dangerous as walking about freely. And he wasn't a man who did passive well. "What is it?" he hissed into the phone, the need for identification non-existent.

 

"Sir, the equipment has been found. All I get is a blank screen now..."

 

"Fuck! I am so tired of Kinney's fucking interference! This ends tomorrow!" Gary snarled into the phone. He knew he was acting irrationally, and that patience would serve him better... but every time he thought of Kinney taking what was his, pacing himself became impossible.

 

"W-what do you want me to do, Sir? Should I move in on the blond?" the thug asked, intent on serving his boss to the best of his ability.

 

"No! Don't go anywhere near Justin... and especially not Kinney. He has Feds crawling around them. You will be spotted at a distance. I'll lure Justin out when I arrive... and then we move in for the kill."

 

Nervously swallowing, the career criminal asked, "Kill? So we are going to end this in Pittsburgh?"

 

"Fool!" Gary exploded. "I'm not going to all this trouble simply to kill Justin. Although, Kinney is a different story. Bottom line - I want Justin back; I don't care what I need to do to accomplish that. I wanted to toy with them and kill Kinney after I had Justin, but I think I just want to resolve this now."

 

"W-what do you want me to do?" he asked almost hesitantly, quickly sensing the boss had changed his mind again.

 

"Watch them from afar. If you get the opportunity to take Kinney out... then do it. Make certain not to reveal yourself, and most important of all - make sure that Justin is out of harm's way." Gary's eyes glittered violently, his hand clenching around the phone. "If Justin is hurt, I will find everyone you've ever cared about... even only smiled at, and I will torture them until death becomes a reward. Do not fail me, Tyrese!"

 

Gasping as the threat caused him to shiver in dread, Tyrese answered, "I can handle it, Boss. I swear. Nothing will happen to Justin... but Kinney will be dead as soon as I can manage it. You can count on me."

 

Gary smiled coldly, in his mind seeing Kinney's cold, lifeless body at his feet. What a beautiful sight... and even better, Justin helpless and dependent on him for his very survival. Oh yes, he thought to himself. Perfect. Simply perfect. "I know that, Tyrese. We both know how much you have to lose." He paused as he waited for his words to take effect, exhilarated at how easily he controlled others. "I'll be in touch. Do NOT call me here again. I will be on my way to Pittsburgh in the morning."

 

Reaching into his wallet, he retrieved Justin's picture. He loved this particular image. Justin was staring off into the distance, looking completely desolate. He would see that look again soon... and each time he possessed what was his. "Enjoy your night, Justin. Tomorrow, you are mine again."

 


 

Justin was sitting up in bed, his eyes wide as he heard Brian speaking with the guards, frowning as he realized there were suddenly more of them than there had been earlier. Had something happened to inspire that? He wasn't going to object. The more law enforcement that protected them now, the better he would feel. He almost jumped when the door finally pulled open, a sigh of relief escaping when it was merely Brian... a mixture of tension with relief on his face.

 

"Everything is fine, Sunshine. There were cameras in the house, and they were disabled. The fucker won't be watching us any longer." Brian's tone was calm, but he felt anything but that inside. How dare that demented freak invade their home like this! It was the agent's belief, and his as well, that the devices had been in place long before his trip to Barbados.

 

Justin bit his lip nervously, his eyes darting around skeptically. "A-are they sure, Brian? I mean really sure?" He stood from the bed, his feet silently moving to stand before his beloved partner, love and fear shining in his eyes. "I can't stand the thought of his eyes being in here on us... watching as we fucked."

 

Brian rolled his lips under, his eyes sweeping over his lover in the plain white T-shirt, and snug boxer briefs. "He didn't, Justin. They swept every inch of the house. I promise you that." Slipping his arms around Justin's waist, he pulled him closer. "You got something wrong, though."

 

Looking up at Brian, he shook his head in confusion. "Wrong?"

 

"Yeah..." he murmured, his lips lowering to claim Justin's in a deep, smothering kiss, his desire and love for the blond open and visible. "That little reunion wasn't fucking, Justin. I've fucked enough men to know the difference."

 

"Really, Mr. Kinney..." Justin teased. "Precisely what was it, then?"

 

"It was something you'll rarely find me doing... much less speaking about." Brian shuddered as he felt like a fucking lesbian on proud display.

 

"Tell me, Stud. I wanna hear you say it..." Justin prodded him, unrelenting in his determination.

 

Brian growled. "Tenacious little shit. Always." Pulling Justin even closer while running his hands up and down his back, he firmly answered, "That wasn't fucking, Sunshine... that was making love."

 

"Thank you, Brian. I know those words are never easy for you." He smiled lovingly at the beautiful brunet, his heart dancing in his eyes. "I have hope like never before; I'm not even sure why. We have to get through this. It would be the cruelest form of irony if we found each other again and didn't survive it."

 

"We will make it, Justin. I swear that to you." Brian's eyes glittered as he made what was the most solemn vow... at least to him. There was no way he would allow the Sap to destroy them again. "Now how about we go back to bed? There's been enough seriousness for one night... especially this being our first night home."

 

"Home..." Justin whispered almost breathlessly. "I really like the sound of that. I've missed this place so much; I just can't believe you held onto it."

 

"As I've already told you - I couldn't let it go. Your mom tried her best to get me to put the house on the market, but something held me back." He looked deeply into the beautiful blue eyes, in the back of his mind thinking that they both should be sleeping... but finding himself lost in this moment, and in this man that had stolen his heart so long ago. "I had no reason to believe you would ever come back to me... but I still couldn't sell our home."

 

Justin smiled at his partner, filled with elation that their home had meant so much to Brian... even after he had been presumed dead. "I'm glad. This was where we were going to end one chapter of our lives and begin another; I'd like to think that someday we could finalize those plans."

 

Brian's brow raised. "Are you saying you still want to marry me, Mr. Taylor?"

 

"More than anything, Mr. Kinney."

 

"Well... I think that could be arranged when this is all over. In fact, I think it should be here in our home." Brian wondered how close they could arrange it to their original plans, and if Justin still wanted that. So much had happened. Perhaps something simple would be more appropriate. "Unless you want something quiet, I'm sure Emmett would love to help with the wedding plans."

 

Justin crinkled his nose. "As much as I'd love that, I don't want us to have something so elaborate that it takes months to plan."

 

"Hell no!" Brian exclaimed, his expression becoming fierce in a single moment. "I'll tell Honeycutt to forget any other projects and devote his energy exclusively to our wedding. After all... what social event could be more important than that?"

 

Justin giggled. "Somehow I doubt Emmett would mind that." In an instant, without any warning, the phone began to shrilly ring, each of them breaking apart in surprise. Justin looked at it warily, his bottom lip trembling when he spoke, "Y-you don't think..."

 

Brian shrugged. "There's only one way to find out, Sunshine. Although, he hasn't called on the house phone yet."

 

Nodding, Justin watched as Brian proceeded in the direction of the bed, his eyes settling on the caller ID that displayed on the handset. He breathed a sigh of relief, even though he was uncertain how long that relief would last. "It's Carl..." Brian said in a way of explanation as he answered the call. "What's up, Carl?"

 

"Brian, I'm sorry to call you this late... but I thought you would want to know." Carl took in a deep breath, his free hand digging through his dresser drawers, knowing his day was about to begin much earlier than expected.

 

Justin looked wide-eyed at Brian's intense expression, knowing that Carl wouldn't be calling this late if it wasn't something urgent. "Brian? What is it?"

 

Holding up a hand to silence his impatient blond, Brian asked, "What happened?"

 

"Well, it appears that Sapperstein has made his first true mistake... even if only indirectly." Carl exchanged a glance with his wife, quickly intercepting her worry for all of them... her husband in particular as she realized he could possibly be running straight into the line of fire.

 

"That's good news. What did the prick do?" Brian demanded, hoping the Feds had discovered a much-needed break.

 

"The Feds are monitoring all calls of people that have ever had any connection to Sapperstein. Apparently, they want him - and badly." Carl paused as Brian grunted in response, listening as Brian stated how he felt the same. "During his time living in Pittsburgh, he had many contacts. That was where he began his career as a drug dealer. Anyway, one of them foolishly called a hotel in lower Manhattan..."

 

Brian couldn't help interrupting. "Manhattan? Are you saying that Sapperstein is in New York City?"

 

Justin shuddered as he listened to Brian's part of the conversation. New York City? That was entirely too close for his liking. He could hop on a train at Grand Central or even Penn Station and be here in under ten hours. Even less than that, depending on what service he used. And if he was driving himself... so much less than that if he drove straight through.

 

"Yes, Brian. The Feds are on the way to the hotel now. Hopefully, they nab him tonight, but we need to be on high alert in either case."

 

"I agree. Sapperstein is no fool. If his thug fucked up with the phone call, he will probably check out immediately."

 

"That's my belief as well. I'm on my way to your house now. I want to provide added surveillance for both you and Justin. The Feds won't like me stepping in, but I'm not backing down..."

 

Brian heard something in Carl's voice, it was entirely too fearful following news that the net was beginning to close in on the Sap. "What aren't you telling me?"

 

"I don't want to alarm you, Brian, but Sapperstein ordered a hit on you. So... in the meantime, until we apprehend the accomplice, and Sapperstein himself, you and Justin are on lockdown." Carl watched as Debbie's face drained of all color, the fear creating tight lines on her face.

 

"I see..." Brian replied woodenly, not really surprised the Sap would go this route. Justin's defiance and the disabling of the cameras had most likely urged him on. In any event, this should be over soon. "I will cooperate with the authorities. I didn't get Justin back only to have the bastard kill me and take him again."

 

"That's not going to happen, Brian. I'll feel better once I'm there. For now, stay away from any windows. The chances of them attempting anything yet tonight is slim."

 

"I'll be upstairs in the bedroom with Justin. We won't leave the room until you arrive." Brian exchanged a look with Justin, knowing once he ended the call, he would have to divulge the danger they now faced. Not only did they need to work together, but they needed to corroborate with the authorities. After extending his gratitude for Carl's assistance, they exchanged a quick goodbye, his body tense as he hung up the phone, knowing Justin would be demanding answers instantly.

 

Justin crossed his arms in front of him, his gaze stabbing impatiently into Brian's back. "Well... how bad is it? And don't try to shield me."

 

"I won't, Justin." Brian sat down on the bed, his hand reaching for Justin to pull him down next to him. "They have the Sap's location - if he's still there. They also have the name of one of his thugs here in Pittsburgh. That's the good news."

 

Swallowing, Justin tremulously asked, "And the bad news?"

 

"It seems that the obsessed lunatic is finished with playing games with us. His plan to torment me has been cast aside. He only seems intent on reclaiming you. In addition, he's ordered a hit on me... as soon as it can be carried out."

 

TBC