- Text Size +

 

Brian crept from the bedroom, his back to the door, his eyes firmly attached to Justin's still form in the bed. Amazingly, he had fallen asleep. He wasn't that surprised really. The boy was physically and emotionally drained. Anyone in his position would be. However, he had really thought Justin would resist sleep, especially after the unsettling news he had just delivered.

 

The Sap had actually gone so far as to place a contract hit on him. He was quite certain the crazed man wished he'd done that long ago. That would have solved all of his problems. Had he been killed, this reunion could never have happened. He was relieved that hadn't been their ultimate ending. Just the thoughts of Sapperstein maintaining his hold on Justin indefinitely was something that filled him with the deepest of dread. Had he not been in Barbados at precisely the right time, there wasn't a doubt that would have happened.

 

Hearing footsteps approaching from the staircase, Brian's back slightly tensed, forcing himself to remember they were safe within the walls of Britin, and that anyone nearing him now was here to see to their safety. He released a deep breath as soon as he saw who was making his way down the hallway. "Carl. I'm glad you're here." Brian ran a slightly unsteady hand through his hair. "Fuck... I can't tell you how much."

 

Carl picked up his pace, his eyes widening in concern. "Has something happened? Justin??"

 

Brian held up his hand to wave his thought off, realizing his manner had to alarm the diligent officer. "Nothing like that, Carl. I'm just a bit anxious. It's not every day that a man learns a psychopath has placed a hit out on him." Brian laughed sardonically, his hand motioning him to the hallway that was adjacent to the master bedroom.

 

Nodding, Carl told him, "That's understandable... although, it can't really be that much of a surprise. Sapperstein sees you as the primary stumbling block in getting Justin back... and keeping him. The fact that he's being hunted by the FBI doesn't even seem to rattle him. Between the two of us - that is something that greatly unsettles me."

 

His eyes sharply searching Carl's, Brian read the worry in the older, more experienced ones. "I've had the same thought as well. It's one that I've kept to myself. I didn't want to alarm Justin any more than he already is."

 

Carl grimaced. "The poor kid has been through hell. I doubt we have an inkling of all that he's suffered."

 

"I'm sure of it." Brian's eyes stared sadly off into the distance, his heart jerking as he shared that very same thought of what had probably been Justin's nightmare - day and night. "I want this bastard caught - dead or alive. And quickly!"

 

"I want the same thing... but we need to do this right." Carl's eyes slid to the bedroom door that Brian seemed to be guarding in his own way. He didn't doubt that Justin would be on the other side of it. "Is Justin sleeping?"

 

"Yeah." Brian chuckled for a moment, shaking his head in wonder. "That's the most amazing part of all. I never expected him to go to sleep after telling him what you told me. He handled it better than I thought, although he was clearly scared to death. His first thought was for us to flee tonight. But I told him that would be playing directly into the Sap's hands. Arguing about it eventually wore him out."

 

Carl laughed. "His fighting spirit is understandable... and with all he's been through, extremely admirable. I'm glad he's getting some rest." He looked at Brian in concern. "You should be too, Brian."

 

Brian shrugged his shoulders. "Who needs sleep? I'm a former club boy. Besides, I got a few hours earlier. It's always been enough."

 

"No, it isn't... and this is an entirely different brand of fatigue. You need to be prepared for anything, Brian. We could have to move you at a moment's notice. Sapperstein is gunning for you. If you are outside - you need to have eyes in the back of your head!" Carl knew he wasn't telling Brian anything he didn't already know... but he needed him to understand the danger they faced on the outside.

 

"Do you think a move is likely or even wise?" Brian asked him, suddenly lowering his voice, at once realizing how much their voices could have been carrying, and not wanting Justin to awaken in alarm again.

 

"If it were up to me, I wouldn't move either of you from this top floor. I would see that everything was brought to you, with the two of you safely isolated. The odds of them penetrating the grounds are unlikely. Of course, we have to be realistic, Brian. Sapperstein has connections. He hasn't lived this long as he has without having friends in high places. And I've already told you, something doesn't feel right about any of this. Sapperstein is just too damned cocky. My gut tells me something is off. And that's why I'm here." Carl wasn't sure he should share his suspicions with Brian. It could all be in his head, but he didn't think so. At this point, he'd rather have the two of them anxious, and looking at every possibility - Brian especially.

 

Brian's lips flattened into a thin line. He took in a deep breath and exhaled it just as quickly. "You think the Sap has someone on the inside? Perhaps even inside of our home?"

 

"I don't know that someone is that close, but I think he has someone supplying him inside information. That's the only thing that makes any sense. Until we know for sure, I don't plan on leaving your side."

 

"I appreciate that, Carl. I think that's part of what made Justin able to relax enough to go to sleep. He knew you were on your way. Right now, you're the only one we completely trust." Brian looked at Carl quizzically for a moment. "I'm surprised that the barracuda downstairs let you inside. I know they don't like their investigations interfered with... ever."

 

Carl nodded emphatically. "That they don't. I can't tell you how many times I've cracked skulls with them. I didn't get in easily, but my part in the investigation, and the fact that I'm on the list of approved visitors, well, he didn't have much choice. I have a feeling all access to either you or Justin will be eliminated by morning. I agree with that choice. The tightest net possible should be around you now. Hopefully, the end comes quickly."

 

"Right. I don't want Jennifer or Daphne in the line of fire." Brian looked at Carl intently. "The Feds are still watching them too?"

 

"Yes, as far as I know." Carl grinned sheepishly. "I will probably be called out on this, but I've also got men doing surveillance on each of them - both in unmarked cars."

 

Brian laughed. "Carl Horvath, I'm proud of you. Such a rebel..."

 

Carl let out a snort. "Don't let it get out. The Feds are controlling this investigation. I'm not supposed to be using our manpower, or interfering in any way."

 

"But you don't trust them." Brian was glad to finally be able to speak of his suspicions. Now that Carl had reiterated them with his own concerns, Brian was more certain something wasn't right.

 

"Let's just say, I don't trust Sapperstein or the lengths he will go... I don't believe he's traveling this far without a plan. He trafficked drugs all over the world. That comes with immense power, as well as supporters for anything that keeps him around and thriving. We'd be fools not to consider that..." Carl had only touched on his worry of Sapperstein's connections. He was far more worried than he wanted to appear. Gary Sapperstein had powerful friends. At this point, he doubted anywhere would be completely safe.

 

"I have considered that. This is war - pure and simple. We will win it only if we play smart. I intend to do that." Brian stretched his neck, the fatigue suddenly overwhelming him. "I think I'll lie down for an hour or two. This is all starting to catch up to me."

 

Carl nodded. That was exactly what Brian needed at the moment. Exhaustion would lead to bad decision-making. That was something they could ill afford. "Get some rest, Brian. I'll be out here standing watch... and if I hear anything about Sapperstein's whereabouts, I'll awaken you immediately."

 

"Thank you, again." Brian's tone reflected the immense gratitude he felt for the effort his friend was taking. "We wouldn't feel this secure without you close. When this is over, I will owe you in a big way."

 

Shaking his head, "No. You won't owe me anything. All I want is to see the two of you moving on to the life you should already be living. If I can contribute to that, it will be a job well done." Carl watched as Brian wearily made his way into the bedroom, hopeful that the two of them could get some rest for what remained of the night. He had a feeling when things started to happen, it would move quickly. He only hoped he'd be able to prevent a tragedy that he was certain was at the heart of Sapperstein's evil plan.

 


 

Gary scowled as he glanced at his GPS, realizing he had four more hours before he'd reach his destination. He had the device displaying the travel route to Kinney's home. Now that he had secured his transportation - even if illegally obtained, there was no reason for him not to go directly to the source. He was here for one reason. Reclaiming Justin, and seeing Kinney dead - once and for all. Within hours that would all come to pass. How surprised they would be when he arrived. They wouldn't expect him to have his own car... at least not this quickly. Stealing it in Pittsburgh would have been the height of stupidity. As always, he was one step ahead... and that would be their downfall.

 

When his phone began vibrating on the seat, Gary instantly reached for it, knowing very few had the number for this specific device. "Yes?" he growled into the phone, knowing all calls were typically bad news these days.

 

"Mr. Sapperstein, extra surveillance will be at Kinney's home at some point tomorrow. And one of the local cops is in the house now..."

 

"Horvath!" Gary spat out. "This will be the last time he interferes."

 

The agent rolled his eyes. He would be happy when his part in this was done. Circumstances in the past had forced him to align himself with this man. It didn't mean that he liked him, or even personally supported him. It was a simple matter of his own survival. That superseded the wrong he knew himself to be doing. "This is the last time I'm helping you, Sapperstein. You need to understand that."

 

"I agreed to that already!" Gary snapped. His patience with others was non-existent now. "After this is done, I will be leaving the country. I won't have any further use for any of you."

 

"Good..." The reply was curt, as his tolerance for the career criminal was at a similar low. "Your entry points are the rear entrance - where I am located, and at the gate. The guard will let you pass, and you will proceed directly to the back of the estate. After that, though, you will be on your own."

 

"That's fine by me. It will only take a matter of minutes for me to end this." Gary's lips twisted into a sinister smile. He glanced at the floor on the passenger side of his car. Within a duffel bag, he had rope and various weapons that would end this all nice and neatly for him. Of course, the end wouldn't be so pretty for the obnoxious Mr. Kinney. He was pleased he would be the one to pull the trigger on his nemesis. Once he did, Justin would be completely at his mercy. There would be absolutely none.

 

TBC