- Text Size +

 

Gary didn't look up from his coffee when Justin joined him on the terrace, his silence all the more menacing for his weak-minded obsession. Showing him the video of his precious Brian had been a mistake; he could see that now. They had regressed again. Now, he had to bring him fully back under his control, and reinforce the fear that had always been a constant in their relationship. If necessary - he would break the boy. Bending him to his will was more to his liking, but more important than that was keeping him from his ex-lover. He had scored a major victory over Kinney, one that had been sustained for years now. Brian Kinney would never get Justin back. As much as he would hate destroying something so beautiful, he would do so in an instant to keep them apart. Justin needed a reminder of just how far he was willing to go to keep his property intact.

 

"Sorry I'm late, Gary. I guess I overslept..." Justin told his captor, extremely wary of Gary's silence, as well as the ice that twisted the much older man's face into a more sinister, and cruel expression. By now, he should be accustomed to Gary's ways; however, even after three long years, he never knew how much savagery to expect.

 

Setting his cup down with more force than necessary, Gary's menacing gaze rested on the anxious look marring the beauty of his most beautiful possession. Yesterday had been a mistake; today he would resolve that. "I find myself growing concerned by your lack of attention to me. I had thought we had moved past such times. It would be such a shame if I were forced to provide one of my special demonstrations."

 

"No!" Justin protested adamantly, his eyes widening in fear. He barely held back the flinch that resulted from the smile that twisted Gary's evil lips. It wasn't a welcoming smile... nor was it encouraging. It was more of the shark that now sized up his next meal. He had already been forced to watch men die because of him... he would do everything in his power not to allow another such tragedy. "I- I mean, that's not necessary, Gary. Think about it from my point of view for a minute... p-please. It was a shock seeing that video of Brian. I haven't seen anything of him in years; in fact, not of anyone from my life in Pittsburgh. It was a lot to take in..."

 

Gary's eyes narrowed at Justin's rambling attempt. What did it mean? Was he worried about himself, or the person he could wreak his revenge on - on his behalf... or was it once again about his precious love - Brian Fucking Kinney? He had no real way of knowing. All he knew was he remained determined to keep the status quo intact. Even if he tired of Justin in the future - something he doubted to be likely; Kinney would never reclaim him. He hadn't forgotten how Brian Kinney had embarrassed and thwarted him in the past. Withholding from him what he had valued the most was a most fitting retribution. "You don't have to worry about me repeating that mistake. Ever!" he hissed, jealousy curling in his stomach until he wanted to commit murderous acts against all that offended him - beginning with the man himself... Brian Kinney.

 

Justin nodded, proceeding to swallow with difficulty. He had expected no less. In fact, he decided it might be best if that was his only glimpse of Brian. As much as it was a sweet relief to see Brian's image, it was torment as well. He wasn't sure he could endure repeat occurrences. "I never expected to see Brian again... whether in person or in a photo. I- I just need some time to process it, and get over the shock."

 

Gritting his teeth as fury overwhelmed him, he slammed his hand on the table, the delicate china rattling precariously as the force of his abrupt action caused Justin to jump in his seat, his own eyes biting mercilessly into the ones shadowed with fear. "I don't ever want to hear that name again! If I do - I swear I will wipe him from existence!" Smiling savagely as tears formed in Justin's eyes, Gary twisted the knife even deeper. "I think you remember just how far I will go when a man looks at my possessions too intently. Anything I have done to those men will pale in comparison to what I do to your precious hero..."

 

Despite the fear that filled him now, Justin felt his back beginning to stiffen as outrage consumed him. Had he wasted the last three years of his life protecting Brian all for nothing? Gary could still have him killed on a whim - regardless of the fact he had promised he wouldn't... if he stayed obedient to him. Once again, Gary was playing his sick mind games with him. He knew how the deaths of those innocent men filled him with guilt. The first one had been partly his fault. He should have known better than to flirt with the hired help - just to annoy his jealous captor. The man had died brutally. It had been at that moment he had realized submission would be his only choice. That night, he had given up on all hope of a future and surrendered to a monster.

 

His eyes glittering in a mixture of anger, and unshed tears, Justin spat out, "That's not fair, Gary. You promised his safety - if I became compliant to you. I've done that. You can't go back on your word now!"

 

Gary stood to his feet, with a nod he motioned his guards forward. Stepping up behind his chair, he leaned down to hiss in his ear, "You dare to tell me what I can do! I own everything and everyone on this island - including you!" He closed his fist, shaking it sharply in the air. "I can kill you, as well as anyone you care about in an instant. You'd do well to remember that!"

 

"How can I forget? You remind me of that every single day..." Justin muttered morosely. Suddenly, filled with more bravery than he'd felt in years, Justin turned to look into Gary's evil eyes, barely managing not to flinch in response. "If it makes you feel any better, do your worst. Because we both know one thing - if Brian dies, my submission dies alongside him. I will never let you touch me again."

 

His body trembling in rage, Gary reached out and backhanded Justin forcefully across the face, his own hand stinging at the savagery of his actions. "Little fool!" he snarled. "I don't require your permission." Laughing coldly, he maliciously reminded, "I have drugs that will ensure your capitulation - should it become necessary."

 

Justin continued to hold his head high, despite the sting that he knew would most likely bruise by tomorrow. "I know that, Gary. However, I also know that you hunger for my desire to match your own. Drugs will never give you that."

 

His body shaking as fury completely overtook him, Gary looked at his guards, spitting out venomously, "Lock him in his rooms. He isn't allowed access to the grounds until I return later." His eyes slid over Justin contemptuously. "I'd use the time wisely. If you ever want to leave your rooms again, you will devise a way to make me feel more amenable."

 

Silent as the guards pulled him from the terrace, Justin realized he may have pushed Gary too far... and yet, he didn't feel he had a real choice. If he completely cowered, Gary might feel he had no real need to keep Brian alive. That was the last thing he wanted Gary Sapperstein to think. He had only endured this nightmare in order to save Brian's life. Should that have all been for nothing... then, his life no longer held any meaning.

 


 

Brian climbed the stairs of the home that he hadn't stepped into for years. He wasn't even sure why he was here now. While trying to enjoy his morning latte, he had found himself reflecting on all the events of the previous day. Strangely enough, his visit from Jennifer had weighed heavily on his mind. He remembered her telling him it was time to let this house go. As he looked around, he was still convinced he didn't want to do that. This was Justin's home. The fact that Justin was gone didn't factor into that reality.

 

Gone. That wasn't a thought he often allowed himself to think about. He blinked as he proceeded up the stairs, for some reason, Justin's studio his destination. He wasn't sure why he wanted to go there. It was simply something he needed to do. He knew what he would find upon entering the room. When he had the house closed up, everything had been done to preserve things for as long as possible. The brightness was the first thing that greeted him as he stepped inside. The morning sun was just slipping through the windows. Justin's studio was truly an artist's dream.

 

Everything was still intact - amazingly so. Despite the exorbitant amount of money he had paid to have the house closed, and maintained, he was still surprised his instructions had been followed so implicitly. He moved around the room, his hands not touching a thing; yet, his eyes absorbing everything. It was empty. Not only of Justin - although that was clearly the most significant lacking - but everything he had been working on for his show was absent too. Why hadn't that ever occurred to him?

 

Slowly, he stepped to the window; he looked down below, wondering how often Justin had done the same as he took a break to recapture his focus... or even worse, rest the cramping in his hand. Fuck, how he missed his beautiful and utterly tenacious boy. His once stalker who had ended up being his everything. Rare tears misted his eyes as he turned to look around the room once again. This emptiness was wrong. It should be filled with the life that Justin projected through his gift. If he couldn't have Justin, he would have that.

 

Removing his phone from his pocket, Brian tapped in the number of the one person that would know where Justin's work had ended up.... knowing it wouldn't give him a sense of peace, but more of a feeling of rightness. "Jennifer, I was just wondering about Justin's paintings." When she paused in surprise, he clarified, "The ones he had compiled before his trip to New York... I figured they must have been sent to you - after what happened."

 

A sad smile touched her lips. Brian still couldn't put Justin's death into words. It had taken her some time to do the same. Brian wasn't there yet. It was simply amazing how their relationship had started, and how much love had grown between them. There wasn't a doubt it had changed Justin; however, she thought it had changed Brian even more so. Each day she realized that fate was the cruelest bitch of all. "I didn't want them. I couldn't bear to look at any of them. I- I guess I should have checked with you at the time. We were both so distraught; I just wasn't thinking clearly."

 

"No, it's fine. I doubt I would have wanted them at the time, either." Brian thought about his next step for a minute, only one conclusion coming to mind. "Thank you, Jennifer. I'll be in touch when I acquire them. I'm sure the time will come when you might want one."

 

"Brian?" Jennifer asked in concern. "What are you planning?"

 

Rolling his lips under, Brian's eyes looked around the far too empty art studio. "I'm going to bring Justin's work home."

 

"Umm, Brian - about your home..." Jennifer began, hoping Brian would listen to reason better than he had yesterday. "I've had some offers on your house. Some very good ones. I really think you should consider them."

 

"Offers?" Brian asked in a hollow tone. "My home is not on the real estate market. I thought I made that clear!"

 

"You did... and it's not. I've just had some interested buyers approach me - ones that know of my association with you. Promise me that you'll think about it."

 

Brian rolled his eyes. In his mind, there was nothing to think about. At least, not right now. "Of course, Mother Taylor; I'll think about it. Later..." he mumbled before ending the call, all about moving onto the next one.

 

Selecting the number on speed dial that would connect him to Kinnetik, he waited for Cynthia to answer before rushing on, "I need you to clear my schedule for the next few days. Have Ted handle anything urgent that comes up."

 

Remembering only too well what yesterday had been, and the irrational state Brian had been in, Cynthia worriedly asked, "Brian? Is everything okay?"

 

"I'm fine, Cynthia. Just rearrange my appointments as needed. I'll be back as soon as I can." Brian hoped his trip was productive. He knew that entering that particular gallery would be a form of therapy. Not to mention, being face-to-face with the man that had accompanied Justin on his fatal boating accident was a long-overdue meeting. He only hoped he could be civil long enough to get information on the whereabouts of Justin's paintings.

 

"Whatever you say, Boss. Getting away is probably the best thing for you. Can I make any travel plans for you?"

 

"No, I'll take care of it." Brian ended the call before she asked any more questions, his heart quickening as he looked around the room. He frowned as he moved back down the stairs, and out of the house, his eyes staring straight ahead and not in the direction of specific places so many memories would rush at him in tidal waves. He felt anxious, but why? It was almost as if he were rushing toward something, although that didn't make any sense.

 

For some unknown reason, he felt this particular trip to New York could be his most significant yet. Why, he didn't know. Was it in knowing that was where Justin was lost to him? Or... could it be something more? One thing was for certain - he wouldn't be returning until he found that out.

 

TBC