- Text Size +

 

Hours later, Justin flinched as his bedroom door abruptly slammed open, a glowering Gary Sapperstein taking in his captive's presence. Not nearly as brave as he tried to pretend to be, Justin queried, "Bad day at the office... or whatever it's called in the drug trafficking world?"

 

"Shut the fuck up, you insolent little fucker!" Gary exploded, his footsteps rapidly advancing him toward the vision of his obsession - a man that could equally inspire his lust and his most violent rage.

 

Uncaring of how deeply he provoked Gary, his own personal hell making the rebellion increase in him, he nodded his head, pressing his lips together tightly. His words were lowly spoken, yet loud enough for the monster that held him to hear. "I guess that's my answer..."

 

Lurching forward, Gary viciously backhanded Justin across the face, his eyes glittering in a jealous rage as he watched Justin recoiling in both pain and terror. "By now, I would have thought that your thick-headed skull would have realized what response these childish outbursts of yours provokes. Now isn't the time to play these games, Justin. My patience is non-existent today."

 

Holding his stinging cheek, knowing that a bruise would appear later on his delicate skin, he shrugged his shoulder in disinterest, determined not to continue being the weak little victim Gary wanted him to be. He wasn't certain where his sudden bravado came from... he only hoped he wasn't pushing his deadly captor too far. The consequences he faced should Gary abandon all interest in him, and focus on victimizing Brian instead, was more than enough to keep him in line. In fact, Brian's life was the only thing that held him within his prison. "My apologies, Gary. I didn't mean to upset you further."

 

Gary's eyes clouded up even more. "Don't give me that shit! You look for ways to piss me off. That hasn't changed from day one!"

 

Lowering his hand from his pained face, Justin stuttered, "W-well... What do you expect? You kidnapped me, faked my death, you continuously threaten the life of the one I loved the most... and force yourself on me as well. How am I supposed to react to you... except for in utter contempt?"

 

Moving closer, Gary's nostrils flared as fury continued to swelter in him. "Force myself on you? Let's get this clear right now - I have never raped you. Need I remind you that you spent the first year untouched by me? You agreed to my terms; therefore, you were willing in my bed. And what do I expect? That's very simple, my smart-mouthed little pet - I expect you to adapt to your environment, and do what is required of you. That is how an adult survives. It's time you started acting like one!"

 

"Whatever..." Justin hissed, quickly realizing they were on the verge of the largest fight they'd ever had. Part of him thought it was long overdue, while the more sensible side of him understood how dangerous it could be. "I've grown up in every way possible these past three years. And let's talk about that first year - since you brought it up. You didn't let me out of your sight for an instant. My entire time was repelling advances from you, and listening to how my submission could solve all of my problems. From where I stand, it hasn't solved much at all. Most in my position would agree that surrender under these circumstances was far from consensual."

 

"I don't give a damn what other people think! You should know by now how I handle opposition!" Gary exploded, smiling coldly when Justin visibly flinched. "Let's not forget what you've gained in our special little alliance. Your precious lover still lives." Gary thought about Kinney walking on this island as he spoke, anxiety mixing with venom in his veins. "Of course, his proximity might alter that very soon..."

 

"Proximity?" Justin echoed. What did that mean? It couldn't mean that Brian was close by, or even on the island. Brian would have no reason to be in Barbados. His heart quickened as he thought of Brian being so near, soon to be filled with dread as he realized how dangerous that would be to the man he was so determined to protect.

 

Gary began to pace around the room, his eyes seeing nothing, but his mind working out every possible angle. Not looking at Justin, he angrily spat out, "His plane landed over an hour ago. He's moving about the city now." At the sound of Justin's gasp, Gary turned to face him, violent rage swelling even further as he viewed that unmistakable look of hope in those endless blue eyes. "Don't even think about contacting him... not that I'll let you out of my sight until he leaves. If he should learn of your existence, well, I don't have to tell you what will happen. Do I?"

 

Suddenly, Justin lost the ability to coherently think on his own. He didn't know what to do. More than that, he didn't know what it meant. All he knew was that he needed to diffuse the situation. Gary would kill Brian if he got too close. After all that he had endured at this monster's hands - he couldn't have it all be for nothing. "B-but why now? What's he doing here? Is he alone? It can't be a business trip." Justin knew he was stumbling, and displaying his heart in every spoken word... yet, he couldn't separate his feelings from the knowledge that the man he loved could be within miles of him at this very moment. Close, yet so far.

 

"Pathetic..." Gary sneered, jealousy curling his insides into vicious knots, the need to kill rising in him. He clenched his hands into tight fists at his sides, at this moment uncertain whether he wanted the headache of this man any longer. At times, he despised Justin Taylor. He had given him a virtual paradise for his home, and yet, everything always came back to his ongoing, and unchanging love for Brian Kinney. Right now, he hated them both equally. Barely containing the urge to strangle the life out of the unappreciative blond, Gary hissed, "Why do I continue wasting my time with you? I have given you a life most men dream of having - a life of complete leisure. All that is required is that you give me what I desire - when I desire it. And still, you dream of Brian fucking Kinney. You sicken me!"

 

Raising his chin a notch, thinking perhaps this was his best chance at an escape - the only one that had ever safely been afforded him, Justin foolishly found himself pleading, "Then don't. Just let me go now. I can leave Barbados with Brian, and you won't have to deal with either of us ever again." Seeing Gary's look of disdain turning into total disbelief, Justin continued on, "I won't tell anyone about you. I'll make up something. Just let me go home, Gary. Please..."

 

His heartbeat accelerating as the heat from within moved upwards until he was certain his neck and face had turned a lobster shade of red, he forced himself to back away from his beautiful possession, knowing he had never been so tempted to kill him as he was right now. "You never learn. No matter how many times I say it, you still persist in your impossible dream." His eyes glittering in a rage unlike any he had ever known, Gary venomously spat out, "You are confined to these rooms until Kinney is no longer an issue. In case you don't understand my meaning, allow me to be perfectly clear! You are mine! This is your home until I deem otherwise." His eyes slowly skimmed over Justin, his voice lowering ominously, "You'd better hope that I don't suddenly tire of you. For I swear to you now - I will never let you return to Kinney. I will see you dead first!"

 

Justin watched as Gary slammed from the room, realizing his feeling of hopelessness had never been greater. This had been his last chance at escape... and even more important than that - a life with Brian. He knew he didn't dare attempt an escape. Gary would stick to his word. Not only would he kill him, but Brian would be killed as well. No sacrifice was too great knowing that he was protecting Brian from that fate.

 

Now, he just had to endure the torment of Brian being so close. Near, but still so unattainable. Lying down on his bed, he closed his eyes and wished for a world without Gary Sapperstein in it. If only he had it in him to commit murder. Realistically, he accepted that might be the only way he would ever be free.

 


 

Brian stepped into the small art gallery, relieved he had discovered it with relative ease. The air-conditioned room was of great comfort after the short walk he had just taken exploring this part of the island, ever conscious of how overdressed he was for this incredibly warm climate. If he was going to be here long, his suit would have to be exchanged for some cooler, more touristy apparel. However, that wasn't his primary concern at the moment.

 

Knowing Justin's unique style, realizing that was another quality of his former lover's that would never be forgotten, Brian's eyes quickly dismissed all the offerings displayed, more than certain that none were any of Justin's. So absorbed in his search, he didn't notice the young woman coming up behind him, nor of the men that monitored him from a distance. Succeeding in accomplishing his goal here was all that mattered. He didn't intend an empty-handed return trip home. As he continued to browse the small gallery, his hopes quickly began to diminish.

 

"Sir? Can I help you find a particular piece of art?" Smiling warmly at the well-dressed man, one of extraordinary taste, she found herself feeling hopeful for a lucrative sale.

 

"Not exactly. I'm looking for works of a certain artist; I had hoped I might find them here..."

 

"Oh?" she curiously queried. "We sell primarily local artists in this gallery. What is the artist's name?"

 

Brian grimaced slightly. It had just occurred to him how far-fetched locating Justin's paintings would be. Justin had never lived in Barbados. As far as he knew, Justin had never even been here. Even though he had information that the paintings had ended up in Barbados, didn't mean he would ever locate them. His hopes in doing so suddenly lessened even further. "The artist's name is... I- I mean, was - Justin Taylor. He was my fiancé."

 

Quickly picking up on the emotion on the beautiful man's face, she nodded her head in understanding, before a frown appeared as she thought his words through. "Hold on a minute... I received an entire collection just this morning from a collector that lives on the island. I haven't fully accessed the collection, but... I thought they were signed by that same name."

 

Looking at the woman skeptically, thinking such a coincidence was too good to be true, Brian asked, "Could I see them? If they are Justin's, I want to purchase the entire collection."

 

"B-but... I haven't attached a price to any of them yet. I can't even verify the condition of them..."

 

"It doesn't matter." Brian was quick to cut her off. There was no way he was leaving this gallery without ownership of Justin's last works. "I'd like to see them... please."

 

"Very well. Follow me back to my office. I have them there." She smiled at him in welcome, finding him incredibly intriguing... and without a doubt - intense. Looking over her shoulder as he followed, she told him, "I'm Pamela Falconer; I own this gallery."

 

Inclining his head in acknowledgment, Brian returned, "It's very nice to meet you Ms. Falconer; I am Brian Kinney. I was advised that Justin's paintings had been sold to a buyer in Barbados. In all truth, I hadn't expected to find them so quickly."

 

Closing the door behind them, she motioned him forward, gesturing him to the corner where eight paintings were covered. "Call me Pam... please." She watched as he slowly moved forward, a gasp emitting at the look of raw pain on his face when he lifted the cover from the first painting. "I assume these are the paintings you were seeking?"

 

Nodding, his throat constricting as he felt a strange combination of pain and joy soaring through him, Brian huskily rasped, "They are." Moving down the line, revealing each image to his gaze, he told her, "I want them - all of them. I don't intend on haggling over price. All that matters is that I leave Barbados with them in my possession."

 

A feeling of guilt suddenly assailed her. It almost seemed a crime to take payment from this man. Clearly, this artist had been deeply loved by this beautiful man; however, this was the process in business. Regardless of that, she didn't intend on capitalizing on the man's grief and to demand a ridiculous amount of money. As she watched the emotions appearing on his face, that was the last thing her conscience would allow her to do. "You must have loved him deeply."

 

Brian smiled in reminiscent fashion. "I never believed in love. Justin made me a believer in so many things." Frowning at what he was revealing of himself to a complete stranger, Brian's eyes moved around the office, a frown developing when he made a realization. "There are some missing. I don't know the exact number... but this is just a fraction of what Justin had prepared for his show."

 

"This is all that was delivered; I was assured by the owner that it was a complete collection..."

 

"Not even close." Brian turned to face her, knowing without a doubt she would struggle with his next request, yet determined to do everything in his power to reclaim every last piece. "Give me the name and address of the seller. I will contact them personally."

 

Immediately paling, knowing the reputation of the man in question, she shook her head in denial. "No, I can't do that, Brian. The collector is a man of importance on this island... and one that demands complete privacy. I can't divulge that information. I- I'm sorry."

 

"I am as well." Brian eyed her closely, knowing that playing on her sympathies was the only way to get what he wanted. He reached into his wallet and withdrew a photo of Justin that had never left its resting place. He extended it to her, his eyes narrowing at the confused look on her face when she stared at the image for several minutes. "This is Justin. I just wanted to give you a face to place with the artist."

 

Unable to take her eyes from the photo, she shook her head in disbelief. "I hate to distress you, but are you sure your fiancé is deceased?"

 

"Yes..." Brian replied curtly. "I buried him three years ago. Sadly, there isn't a doubt of his death."

 

"Oh... well, they do say everyone has a twin. I guess we have one on the island. Oddly, he's interested in art too." Pamela smiled at the man, noticing how his face paled at the words.

 

"I suppose so." Unable to explain why his chest suddenly tightened, with his heart beginning to race, Brian urged her, "I can't help being curious about this look-alike of Justin. Please... tell me more."

 

TBC