- Text Size +

 

"I'm not quite sure what I can tell you, Brian. I've only caught glimpses of the young man a couple of times. Actually, I've never spoken to him." She frowned as she thought of the candid image and how much he looked like the young man from the island. "He could have merely been a tourist. All I can say for sure is that he is a twin of the man in your photo."

 

Brian swallowed slowly, forcing calm upon himself. He didn't display his feelings to others well... and strangers even less. He wasn't about to start now. "Where did you see this man? I wouldn't mind seeing this similarity for myself." Brian continued to be intrigued by her surprising declaration. He had more than a slight bit of curiosity about this unknown man, although he knew it was highly unlikely he would ever encounter this man.

 

Thinking back to the specific instances, she answered, "It was the bookstore not too far from here. I was in there myself. If I'm not mistaken, he purchased several books about art and even some painting supplies. It's quite eerie that he not only looks like your ex-fiancé, but he had similar interests as well. I guess it's true when they say - it's a small world."

 

"Well... if such a resemblance does exist, that is extraordinary." The more he thought about it, the possibility of a look-alike turned him cold. It didn't surprise him that another man could have similar characteristics to Justin. There was one underlying factor - this man was not Justin, nor could he ever be. Justin had been unique in so many ways. Replacing the void he had left wasn't possible. Perhaps that was why he had reverted to his age-old method of pain management. He had always known Justin was irreplaceable. Attempting to do so had never occurred to him.

 

Having a sense that her client had no interest in discussing such personal matters with her, she decided for the sake of the sale she would stick to business, and not lose what was sure to be a lucrative sale. "I'll need a few hours to go over these paintings, and come up with a fair price. Is there a number I could reach you at?"

 

With a slight, yet distracted nod, Brian reached into his pocket and retrieved his wallet, deftly removing one of his business cards, turning it over to write his cell phone number on the back. He named the hotel he would be staying at, emphasizing that he could be contacted day or night should any new information occur to her. "I look forward to hearing from you, Pamela. As I mentioned before, price isn't an issue here. A complete collection would net you a sizable bonus." His eyes were intense on the gallery owner when he added, "These paintings are of great sentimental value to me. Should you convince the current owner to part with them - I would be enormously grateful."

 

Pamela swallowed, as she took the card and absorbed the information. Both of them knew she was aware of where the remaining paintings resided. At the time, she hadn't known the collection to be incomplete; however, after hearing this man's story, she didn't doubt that it was. She couldn't help dreading the call that would need to be made in order to fulfill Brian's wish. Gary Sapperstein might not be an island native, but he was well known throughout. Becoming his enemy was the last thing any sane person should want to do. "I'll be in touch, Brian. And I promise I'll do all that I can to retrieve all of the paintings."

 

"Thank you..." Brian whispered earnestly. "I can't tell you how much that would mean to me."

 

She watched as he stood and left the office, her eyes thoughtful on him. His poise was remarkable for a man that truly still grieved for his lost lover, and still, he carried himself with such strength and confidence. She could imagine in happier times, Brian Kinney had been quite the man to know. Opening the file that displayed all the details of the man that owned the late Justin Taylor's paintings, she picked up the phone to call him, her hand visibly shaking when she made the connection. She felt the fool for enmeshing herself in this any deeper, but something about Brian's desperation called out to her. She couldn't do anything else.

 


 

Justin's body tensed as he heard the key turning in his locked door - in actuality, his prison. It had been too quiet for it to be his captor. Generally, he could hear his approach from a distance. One thing was always a given, there was no subtlety when it pertained to Gary. With the greatest of relief, he noticed it was merely his personal maid... after the drama with Ramone, Gary had insisted on him having a woman for a servant and a much older one at that.

 

"Good afternoon, Sir. I have your lunch here." She set it down on the table near the window, her eyes pulling to the closed balcony doors. "It's a beautiful day today. Shall I set this up outside?"

 

His brow arching, Justin caustically asked, "Oh? Am I permitted to eat on the balcony today?"

 

Flushing in a combination of discomfort and embarrassment, she set the tray down, before widely opening the balcony doors. "I wasn't told otherwise, Sir... so, I will assume that you can."

 

Shrugging indifferently, Justin followed her out onto the balcony, today more than ever abhorring the spectacular picturesque view before him. How could he enjoy it knowing that Brian was on the island? A yearning smile curved his lips. He could think of one way and one alone... and that was if he was spending his time with Brian. A deep sigh escaped. That would never happen. Even if he could escape this impenetrable compound, he could never leave the island. A lack of passport which Gary held in his possession would be his ultimate stumbling block. Knowing Brian as he did, he realized that would be a minor obstacle, but still another one to surpass.

 

"Can I get you anything else, Sir?" Marie asked, unknowingly her voice lowering to a more sympathetic tone - one that the staff had long kept themselves from displaying. So many of them hated their employer, as well as feared him. Those that did, wished they could help Justin in his undeserving plight. Sadly, they all knew there was no help for this young man.

 

Justin snorted, before muttering, "Not unless you can get into Gary's desk and retrieve my passport..."

 

"S-Sir.... you shouldn't say such things - not even in jest. If someone told Mr. Sapperstein... Well, I don't have to tell you what would happen." Her eyes were wide with fear, a large part of her wishing she could perform that task, while knowing it would equate to suicide for both of them.

 

A combination of fear and desperation urged him onward. He didn't feel safe with Gary any longer, nor did he believe Gary would continue to keep his word regarding Brian's life indefinitely. That being so, he needed to get away... and hopefully warn his former lover, as well as be reunited with the only man he would ever love. "Listen, I know I'm asking a lot, but I do know you hate him too. I've seen it in your eyes every time you come in contact with him. Please do this for me. No one has to know it was you." His eyes fervently searched ones that were obviously torn. "You know this shouldn't go on. I don't deserve this..."

 

"That isn't in question, Sir. You've always been so kind to me, and all of the staff. For the most part, I don't think there are many of us that don't sympathize with you. But getting into Mr. Sapperstein's desk and removing your passport would be risky." Regret placed extra lines on her face. "I wish I could help you, Sir, but... I have a family to consider. Losing my job is one thing; however, we both know that the boss is more vindictive than that."

 

Justin sighed. "Yes, we do." He frowned as another thought occurred to him, one that might not work, and if it didn't, it might cause Gary to snap, but he was at that point now. He was tired of playing the docile little lamb, and it really wasn't the man he used to be. It was time to go back to risking it all for what was right. He would never find a time more suitable for that. "Okay, asking you to go into Gary's office, and his desk is too much. I get that. Just make it so I can slip from this room... then, I will do the rest."

 

Playing that about in her mind, she instantly realized getting him out of the room wouldn't be much of a problem... it was the aftermath that worried her. "There aren't any guards outside of your room. In fact, the house is mostly empty. Mr. Sapperstein ordered them all to be on constant patrols of the grounds. Slipping past the gate would be your biggest problem."

 

Hope flared in his heart. She hadn't said no yet. If anything, she was giving him more hope. "I'll handle that when I get that far." Hopefully, he would get that far, he amended to himself. He didn't doubt as to why Gary was having the property so devoutly supervised. Brian on the island had to have him in a panic. Not only was he worried that he would find a way to contact Brian, but he had to be thinking about the possibility of everything going wrong. Not only did he risk losing him, but there could be criminal charges as well. "Is Gary on the grounds now?"

 

Shaking her head, she was quick to answer, "No. He left with some of his security about an hour ago. I guess when you think about it - this is the best time for an escape attempt. Mr. Sapperstein won't see it coming, and the house is vulnerable. Escaping the grounds is where you'll find yourself at a disadvantage."

 

Uncaring of that, and only hearing that he was finally about to secure some help, Justin hopefully asked, "So... you're going to help me?"

 

"Against my better judgment - yes, I am." When Justin's eyes lit up with joy, she quickly advised him, "My help will be limited, Sir. I'm just going to leave the door ajar, making it so you can slip from the room. The rest will be up to you. As it is, I'll have a hard time explaining how you got out of the room." She bit at her lip nervously. "I- I'm not sure how I will do that, but I'll think of something."

 

"Thank you, Marie. I just can't live like this any longer. No matter if I fail or succeed, I have to try..." Justin followed her through the balcony doors, his eyes focused on her unlocking the door, before she turned away to see to her duties. Justin sighed deeply. The rest was up to him now. The chances of finding Brian on the island were slim, but he was determined to try. It astounded him how he seemed to rediscover his bravery upon knowing Brian was close. Perhaps it was a combination of that, and not trusting Gary's word or sanity any longer. Whichever the case may be, he hoped he would be in Brian's arms again. There wasn't anything he wanted more than that.

 


 

Brian took a slow sip of the burning liquor that was placed in front of him, uncertain of why he had stopped in the first place. It was just past noon. The immense heat had spurred on his thirst; however, alcohol wasn't the best means of relieving that. It didn't take much thought to realize his need for whiskey had come more from his stress, and not so much as a thirst quencher. His meeting with the gallery owner had been far too personal for it being with a stranger. Revealing anything of himself to those that weren't closely connected to him made him extremely uncomfortable. A part of him wished that wasn't so. He was more than slightly intrigued by the prospect of Justin's twin. However, at the same time, the idea had been repugnant to him, as well as making him want to flee.

 

The entire idea that Justin had a mirror image was unthinkable to him. He could remember back to the fiasco of him trying to find a trick similar to Justin. As he'd allowed the trick into the loft, he quickly found himself unable to look at the man. Promptly, he had pushed the man onto his stomach and proceeded with what he used to do best - getting in and out with the minimum of bullshit, but with the maximum of pleasure.

 

Everything had changed when that beautiful blond boy had pushed his way into his heart. His stalker who had never truly been that. He'd known from the first night that Justin was different. Of course, he was Brian Kinney... he didn't plan for that surprising factor to interfere with how he did things. He intended to give the innocent blond a fuck he would always remember, then, each of them back to living their own lives. He chuckled in bitter reminiscence. It hadn't gone that way. After three devastating years, all he wanted was Justin back with him. He took another swallow before signaling his waiter for another. The pain was tearing into his heart. Quickly he realized it didn't matter how far removed he was from his life with Justin. The mere thought of his blond, brought everything rushing back. He needed oblivion... and he needed it now. It didn't occur to him that sitting here drinking, while looking at Justin's picture wasn't going to give him that.

 

A few minutes later, a drink was placed in front of him, and the other glass was removed. "Can I get you anything else, Sir?"

 

Brian looked up at the sound in his server's voice. It was a tone he found extremely familiar. He glanced up to look more fully at the dark-skinned man, knowing the Brian of old would have already pulled the man from the bar - whether on duty or not, and fucked the living hell out of him. He might still do that, but for now, drowning his sorrows was what he most wanted to do. His eyes flickered over the island man, a sexy smile curving his lips... one that he knew always moved the recipient. "Perhaps later... for now, though, I'm going to enjoy this fine whiskey. You can join me - if you like."

 

"Sadly, I can't right now, Sir. I'm still on duty. Fraternizing is one thing, but drinking while on duty is another." He smiled at the older man with open admiration in his eyes. This was one beautiful specimen of a man. He had given many male tourists a special memory of their trip to Barbados, but this one he really hoped to have the chance to get to know better.

 

Brian nodded. He took a sip of his drink, his hand releasing the photograph he had been holding in his hand. It wasn't like him to pull out Justin's photo. In fact, he rarely found himself doing so. The sight of his former fiancé was equivalent to a dagger in his chest. It wasn't something he often sought to feel. Absorbing himself with his drink in hand, Brian didn't notice the curious man looking at the photo... his attention only captured when the man audibly gasped. "Is there a problem?"

 

Shaking his head, unable to believe the connection, and uncertain of what it might mean, he found himself stammering, "Uhhh, how do you know Justin?"

 

Standing abruptly, the heady alcohol seemingly totally unaffecting him, he looked at the man's name badge for the first time. "How about I ask you the same question... Ramone. Exactly how do you know my ex-fiancé's name? Especially since he's never been to Barbados." His eyes narrowed thoughtfully as Ramone's eyes widened in fear. "Please do enlighten me, Ramone. I find myself fascinated to hear your answers..."

 

TBC