- Text Size +

 

Three Weeks Later

 

Emmett breezed into the foyer, his arms waving around enthusiastically as he directed the crew of wedding planners in the direction of the blooming gardens. Not taking a breath in between his instructions, Brian looked up from his morning coffee and newspaper, glaring first at the entourage that sought to take over his home... then at his giggling fiancé seated next to him.

 

"I don't remember hearing the door, nor any announcement of either you or your groupies..." Brian snarked, his brows raised as he gave Emmett his stare that spoke of extreme annoyance.

 

Huffing indignantly, Emmett waved off Brian's concerns, speaking to his associates in a not-so-hushed murmur, "He's always like this in the morning. Ignore him entirely..."

 

"Ignore me?" Brian groused. "Who do you think is paying for this extravaganza!? I would have been fine with eloping..."

 

Justin grunted. "I would have been fine with that too. You are the one that wanted to make sure we got married in grand style."

 

Brian rolled his eyes. "Don't try to pull that, Sunshine. You are too much of a princess to settle for running off in secret."

 

"Asshole..." Justin mumbled indignantly. Brian knew him too well. After all that they had suffered and survived, he wanted the world to know the love they shared hadn't been affected. Once Gary had died, and the case had been wrapped up, Justin had wanted to shout it from every rooftop that they were safe and free to live their lives. Due to all they'd gone through, he didn't think subtle was at all acceptable. "You are so lucky that I love you... and that I still want to marry you."

 

The crew of six men that would be responsible for seeing to the catering and the arrangement of the flowers on arrival, looked at each other skeptically. None of them were certain this union was off to a good start. Once Emmett saw their faces, he laughed, waving his hands about wildly. "Don't pay them any mind, darlings... These two fuss like old women every day; however, at night... phew, you wouldn't believe how hot they are - and they don't care who knows or even sees it."

 

"Uhhh, Em. I'd ease up." Justin looked at Brian cautiously, quickly seeing how Brian seemed to be losing patience with their flamboyant friend.

 

Frowning in confusion, not a doubt in his mind that Brian wanted this wedding badly, Emmett offered, "Shall we come back another time? Later perhaps?" Emmett didn't add in the suggestion - when Brian was gone and safely at work.

 

Rolling his eyes, Brian folded his newspaper, before standing to his feet. He leaned down to kiss Justin slowly and sensually on the lips, a low growl escaping his throat as the kiss ended. "Later, Sunshine."

 

"Bye, Brian. Have a good day..." Justin returned, his teeth biting worriedly at his lower lip as he observed the tension that he could so clearly define in his soon-to-be husband.

 

Emmett clapped his hands merrily. "Oh, how sweet. What a domesticated and husbandly thing to say..."

 

Intending to walk by the cooing wedding planner without a further word, Brian couldn't follow through following Emmett's last comment. He gave Emmett a stern look, knowing he really didn't mean it, but determined to stick to form... at least with Emmett Honeycutt. "Don't even think of turning my house into a breeder version of a floral nightmare. If you do... I will make you eat daisies for a week..."

 

From behind Emmett, one of the crew foolishly corrected, "Actually, we're not using daisies."

 

Justin groaned. "Uhh, Em? Maybe you should take the guys out back where most of the flowers will be displayed."

 

Quickly deciphering Brian's stony gaze, Emmett bobbed his head up and down. "Yeah, I think that's a good idea."

 

"I'll be out in a few..." Justin called out after them, hesitantly walking Brian to the door. He placed a restraining hand on Brian's arm, determined that he didn't go to work with so much unresolved tension in him... knowing exactly the cause of it. "Brian, I know what's wrong. And it's like I told you last night. Maybe it's time to forgive and forget."

 

"Are you fucking joking? It wasn't that long ago that Michael sat in this very house and openly insulted and disrespected you in front of everyone. I can't believe it's that easy for you to let it go!" Brian growled, this subject still extremely irritating for him.

 

"I never said it was easy; I just think it's time to move forward. Look at what we've gone through... and even more important than that - look how far we've come since the very beginning. In three days we are finally getting married. I really don't want to start our married life with a deep grudge against your best friend. And he did apologize - to both of us..."

 

"Former best friend..." Brian grumbled. "As for his apology, I say it's a case of too little, too late."

 

Justin sighed. He realized he wasn't going to get through to Brian, at least, not right now. Brian was the one person that was more stubborn than he was himself. It was one of those traits they shared, among so many others. Brian might never forgive Michael. He clearly remembered the hurtful and viciously cruel words Michael had uttered on his first day home; a day that had him gripped with the terror Gary Sapperstein had instilled in him. There wasn't a doubt of it casting a very bad ending to his reunion with his friends and family. Even if he was prepared to move beyond the incident and simply file it away to Michael having one of his more immature moments, clearly his overprotective fiancé was not.

 

"I understand, Brian. And if you don't want him involved in the wedding, that's fine too. I just wonder if years from now you would look back and regret your best friend not being a part of your wedding day." He noticed a brief flicker of something in Brian's eyes. It flashed so quickly he wasn't sure what it meant. "Just think about it, okay? With the wedding in three days, time is running out."

 

Brian looked at Justin in disbelief, his self-sacrificing tendencies never ceasing to amaze him. "I can't believe how easy it is for you to look away from Michael's insensitivity. You are always doing what's best for everyone else. I thought I taught you better than that. You need to look out for yourself, Justin. Fuck everyone else..."

 

"I can't do that, Brian. Continuing to hold a grudge against Michael keeps him out of your life... in the end, it would break you. It doesn't matter what he's said or done, Michael is a big part of your past. Whether either of us likes it, you care about him - a lot." Justin took in a deep breath, Brian's pensive look telling him he was at least considering his words. "That being so... I realize you need to make up with him. What hurts you, also hurts me. It's a price attached to loving someone."

 

Brian didn't have to say he'd been more irritable as their wedding day approached. He wasn't the least bit reluctant in marrying Justin - only the opposite. He'd felt as if he'd been anticipating this very day since the moment he'd met the tempestuous blond under the street light. He had accepted, if only to himself, the fact that Michael wouldn't be part of his special day, greatly angered him. It didn't matter that the break was Michael's fault. What mattered was that years of friendship and bonding had been ripped to shreds after a sequence of events.

 

"Fine. You make some good points." Brian grudgingly conceded what they both knew to be true. Cunning little fucker always knew what to say to elicit the precise response he was seeking. Despite the difference in their ages, so many things were similar in them. Of course, not in everything, though. There would always be times when they would be in opposition. But perhaps this didn't need to be one of those instances. Glancing at his watch, Brian hurriedly told him, "I have a meeting in less than an hour. All I can promise is to consider it."

 

Justin responded with a beaming smile. As much as he wasn't looking forward to Michael being back in their lives, he could accept it knowing it had been a mistake... and that a favorable resolution would make Brian happy. He hoped that one day Michael could look at him and see a man worthy of his best friend's love. He wasn't holding out for that hope, though. The history they shared didn't favor that unlikely conclusion.

 

A dreamy smile still on his face, Justin pulled Brian's head down for one last heated kiss... as always hating the goodbye, yet knowing they always made up for it in the evening. "That's all I can ask."

 

Brian kissed Justin languorously for several minutes, before pulling back to give his fiancé a stern look. "I expect Honeycutt's crew to be gone when I get home tonight." Reaching down to squeeze Justin's ass for good measure, Brian lustily forewarned, "I have plans for you tonight... ones that don't include Emmett and his catering crew..."

 

"Your wish is my command." Justin mock bowed, giggling when Brian's eyes flared even more.

 

"I'll hold you to that, Mr. Taylor. Have no doubt of that..." Provocatively, Justin rubbed the front of his body against Brian's, smiling in satisfaction when Brian left with a hot growl passing through his lips. He'd pay for that later for sure. There wasn't a doubt that he was looking forward to every torturous and sensuous moment.

 


 

Brian looked up from his desk. The knock sounded like one that he wasn't certain he wanted to answer, but one that he knew he had to. Justin had made some very good points, and there wasn't a doubt that he missed Michael. However... he wouldn't tolerate another incident such as the one when Justin had returned home with him. He still found it unreasonable, and unacceptable. Michael hadn't matured for his age as he should have, but at the same time, he couldn't forget their history either. Michael had been there for him countless times when he had felt lost, and completely alone. They had an odd friendship. Most people would never understand it. He didn't even try to explain it. "Come in," he called out, hoping he was doing what was best for all of them.

 

His face remaining blank, Brian watched as Michael almost timidly stepped into his office, slowly turning to close the door behind him, hesitating by the door as if he would need to make a quick departure. "Have a seat, Michael. I don't have a lot of time."

 

Hesitantly, he stepped forward, a slight scowl on his face. "You called me here, Brian. I said what I had to say at your house..."

 

"Yes, you did." Brian nodded his agreement. "I can also remember what you said at that same home on the day of Justin's homecoming."

 

Michael slumped in the chair across from Brian's desk, his eyes imploring Brian to understand. "I've explained this, Brian. I don't know what else to say. We had no warning about Justin. All I could see at the time was the idea that Justin had willingly left you... and all I could think of then was how much you had suffered... not to mention everyone else that cared about him. If I'd had any idea of what he'd gone through, I wouldn't have said any of it."

 

"Think about what you just said, Michael. You know Justin. Do you really think he would ever leave me without any warning... allowing everyone to think he was killed?" Brian's voice raised, the more he tried to rationalize Michael's actions, the more incensed he became. "Tell me one time Justin has ever done anything to say he would act so selfishly... not to mention cruelly?"

 

Michael swallowed. He hadn't thought about that... and he should have. Justin had idolized Brian from day one. He had known that first night that Justin was different; although, it had taken him years to both accept and admit that. "You're right, Brian. I totally jumped to the wrong conclusions; I have no excuse for my behavior. I just hope in time that you and Justin can forgive me."

 

"Wow... that's progress." Brian smiled at Michael for the first time. At Michael's look of confusion he explained, "You stopped trying to make excuses - which you have absolutely none - and seem to be taking accountability for your actions. Mikey, are you actually growing up??"

 

"Asshole..." Michael muttered, unable to stop from laughing. "Brian, I don't know what else to say. I fucked up royally. I was out of line, and I deserve whatever you throw at me. I just hope you can tolerate me enough to let me at least see your wedding. It's a miracle that you found each other again. I really don't want to miss it."

 

Brian picked up a pen and began tapping it on his desk... his eyes assessing Michael's expressions and mannerisms, knowing him as he did, feeling he would see any type of insincerity. His mind made up, knowing this would make his meddling little blond happier than anything else, Brian spoke the words that he knew would make Michael much more content. "Well, it would be virtually impossible for my best man to miss out on our big day..."

 

"B-best man?" Michael's jaw dropped down, his eyes massively widening. "Do you mean it? I never dreamt it could be possible!"

 

"I can't say I thought it was either. But Justin spoke to me on your behalf just this morning. He made some very good points." Brian's expression turned from light to severe in a brief instant. "There won't be another chance, Michael. Don't fuck this up. Justin is the man I want to spend the rest of my life with - I won't tolerate anyone disrespecting him in any way. No matter who it might be. To be perfectly blunt, I will always choose him." Brian's gaze was unrelenting. "You need to accept that."

 

"I understand, Brian."

 

Michael couldn't fight the slight feeling of resentment he felt toward Justin. The blond kid had changed everything for them, even all those years ago. He had known it that first night; although, he'd never expected Brian to fall so deeply in love. Michael smiled. It felt good that he could think of Brian being in love with Justin, and not have his heart clench in pain. If nothing else had ever fully made him understand, this day had. He would always love Brian, but he wasn't in love with him. That warm feeling was reserved for Ben. He knew it was a love that would last forever. There wasn't a doubt in his mind of it being exactly the same for Brian and Justin. Hesitantly, hoping that Justin would welcome the gesture, Michael earnestly spoke, "Please thank Justin for me. It's more than I could have ever hoped for."

 

A thought suddenly occurring to him, one that could end up being self-serving, Brian interjected, "Why don't you go thank him yourself? He's at Britin, along with Emmett and company. They are working on the wedding arrangements. As the best man, I'm sure they will have a need for you." Brian couldn't help thinking that the more they got done while he was at work, the more chances they would be gone when he got home tonight.

 

Michael laughed nervously. "Well, I guess that could be a much-needed icebreaker - before the actual wedding. I can't wait to tell Ben... and Ma. They will be thrilled."

 

"Just remember my warnings, Michael. This is your last chance. Don't fuck it up!" Brian reminded him, never more serious of anything in his life.

 

"I'll remember." A sad look passed over his face. "I've been hell to live with since I fucked up so badly. You can ask Ben. No one will be more pleased than him..."

 

Satisfied that Michael was finally on the right track, but realistic enough to know there could still be some fuck-ups in the future, he hoped they would be small and tolerable. Knowing Michael as he did, he realized he couldn't be sure of anything. "I'll do you a favor and call ahead."

 

Michael thanked him. "Justin knows you as well as I do. I can finally admit that." Seeing that he had surprised his best friend for once, Michael couldn't help observing, "I have a feeling he won't be at all surprised by your decision."

 

Brian nodded, watching as Michael left his office... his hand automatically reaching for the phone. He smiled as he heard Justin's voice answering, his heart racing as he savored the very sound... knowing not a day would go by that he wouldn't be eternally grateful for the second chance they had been given.

 

In three days, they would be married - at long last. One long chapter of his life would close... but another more meaningful one would begin. He could hardly wait.

 

TBC