- Text Size +

 

Gary knew as soon as he looked at the caller ID that displayed on his iPhone, that his day was about to progressively worsen. He had been shaking down dodgy clients all day long, and in ways that were only effective when administered by him. How he despised the weak. Watching as they succumbed to their terror, or unsatisfied drug addictions brought him an immense degree of pleasure. In his opinion, they deserved the end he brought down on them. It was the same he would deliver to anyone that betrayed him. Those that attempted to steal from him, whether business or personal, found their fate even more brutal.

 

"Sapperstein..." he snarled into the phone, fully cognizant of the day and time. This wasn't the scheduled time for a Brian Kinney update. That he was being called now meant there was a problem. He didn't accept problems in any form. When they involved Kinney, that meant it pertained to Justin as well. Those were problems of which he could find no tolerance. "Are you going to breathe on the other end indefinitely... or are you going to tell me how you've managed to fuck up what should be a simple task?"

 

Stuttering in a barely audible whisper, Seth mumbled, "S-Sir... we haven't done anything wrong. T-there's just been an incident and w-we don't know h-how to handle it."

 

Rolling his eyes at the pointless babbling, Gary snapped, "What kind of incident?"

 

"We followed Kinney to New York... just as we reported. He's at the airport now..."

 

"That's not exactly earth-shattering news!" Gary exploded, his patience quickly reaching an end. "Kinney is a businessman. He travels often. Trips to New York are to be expected."

 

Watching from his vantage point as Brian Kinney made his way through the security checkpoints, Seth found himself grateful he wasn't in his boss' presence now. He knew how irrational Gary Sapperstein could be when the rage overtook him. His boss would take his anger out on someone. He was thankful it wouldn't be him. "Sir... this wasn't exactly a business trip; at least from what we could see."

 

"What exactly was it?" Gary demanded, his eyes bulging as he separated himself from his enforcers, for some reason knowing he would want solitude by the end of this call.

 

"Kinney visited an art gallery. It was the only stop he made. I, uhhh, think you realize the significance of that..."

 

Gary began to swear violently, uncaring of how he unsettled the tourists that could hear him from the distance, his only thought being of Brian Kinney still being a thorn in his side. He should have never used the man's life as leverage with Justin. His life should have been extinguished long ago. "Imbecile! Of course, I know the significance! Who the fuck do you think you're talking to!?"

 

"I- I didn't mean any disrespect, Sir... I was just trying to explain the importance of Kinney's whereabouts." Taking in a deep breath, he prepared to divulge what was sure to send his volatile boss into a full-blown rage. "Umm, especially as it pertains to where he appears to be heading now."

 

Uncommonly, sweat broke out on his brow, his heart beginning to palpitate as he stalled in demanding an answer that he feared to hear. "Go on..." he rasped, his eyes wild as his breath came unevenly.

 

"Kinney just booked a flight to Barbados. His plane leaves in less than an hour." Taking in a deep breath, his eyes squinted at his partner that remained close to the man in question. "Do you want me to stop him?"

 

"Stop him?? Are you fucking kidding me? At JFK Airport - you want to create an incident!?" Gary's chest expanded forcefully as anxiety and uncertainty overwhelmed him. He didn't know what to do. Why was Kinney coming here? And more importantly - why now? He had to think this through. His plan to capture and possess Justin had proceeded without any hindrances. He couldn't afford a mistake now. "Do you have any idea why he's coming here? In particular - does he know something?"

 

"No, Sir. All I know is that Kinney had a meeting with the lady that manages the gallery. After that, he went straight to the airport and booked a flight to Barbados..."

 

His face instantly drained of all color. "Fuck! The paintings. He's finally coming after them." His plan had been faultless from the very beginning. No one had ever suspected him... and even more important than that - not one person doubted the validity of Justin's death. He hadn't acquired Justin's art out of admiration for his work. Justin's artistic skills meant nothing to him. He did read Brian Kinney, though. There hadn't been a doubt in his mind that one day Kinney would want to reclaim Justin's last masterpieces. Taking that from him had been another knife to Brian Kinney's already defeated spirit. Having Kinney in Barbados was an obstacle he didn't want to face, but he would keep Justin well hidden. He wasn't about to lose his most coveted possession now.

 

Clearing his throat nervously, knowing that when the boss paused, nothing good would come of it, Seth stammered, "U-uhhh, how should I handle this, boss?"

 

"Keep him in your sights, and report back to me with every move he makes!" Gary's voice was a low, reverberating hiss. "Make sure he doesn't know he's being watched. Should I need to move in on him - I want him caught by surprise."

 

"Got it, Sir. I- I guess any aggressive moves would be more safely made in Barbados..."

 

"Exactly! I can grab him at any time it pleases me. For now, watch him closely." Gary's lips compressed into a tight line, as his mind worked through all that he'd just discovered. He had many hours before Kinney would land in Barbados. It would be more than enough time to complete his business, and be back with Justin. Perhaps fate was giving him the opportunity to secure his property more fully. Should Kinney get too close to his most prized possession, it would be the end of the line for the meddling brunet. Maliciously, he almost hoped that would be the case.

 


 

Justin sighed as he stared in boredom out through his vast window. He couldn't dispute the view; that had never been an issue here. No, it was more about the hopelessness of his existence. The only thing that kept him going each day was in knowing Brian was alive and well, and that his obedience to a monster was keeping that a reality. He shivered as he remembered his most recent fight with Gary and his menacing captor's response. When Gary had left for the day, doubts began building of him continuing to honor their agreement. Threatening Gary Sapperstein had been foolish; although, he had felt backed into a corner. Brian's life was all that kept him subservient... if one could call behavior with his constant outbursts obedient in any fashion. As he had told Gary earlier, should Brian's life no longer be a factor - he would find a way to leave this place... no matter what that entailed.

 

Closing his eyes, Justin thought back to the first time he had tried to escape - the first and last time. It had been before he had surrendered to Gary's sexual demands. At that time, he didn't feel he had any choice. Gary's response to his attempted escape had more than secured that decision. His skin crawled as he remembered how Gary had run his fingertips up and down his spine as he hissed his threats into his ear. At that time, death would have been preferable. But then, he had found what had become his sole reason for living - protecting the man he loved, the one he would always love.

 

His eyes had been full of tears when he watched the young man close to his own age being viciously beaten down. "G-Gary... please stop." Justin had been sobbing as he pleaded for the man that had assisted in his escape attempt. "It's all my fault. P-please, don't hurt him anymore."

 

Gary's hand ran up and down Justin's back, the rage and lust glittering equally in his eyes. Finally, Justin would be desperate enough to submit to him. He would torture his not-so-innocent accomplice until his blond obsession became obedient. But he would up the ante as well. "Yes... it is your fault." His breathing became elevated as he spoke the words, the lust now dripping from his voice. "You make a man crazy with desire... so much so that he will risk anything for one moment of ecstasy in your arms. Poor Ramone must learn that lesson, and you will as well."

 

Ramone gasped in terror, his eyes barely able to remain open as the beating continued. "Mr. Sapperstein... p-please, I'm b-begging you. I- I meant n-no disrespect."

 

Justin remembered as Gary moved away from him to move toward the senselessly beaten man. "No disrespect?" he parroted. A cold laugh followed. "You lusted after what is mine. More than that - you tried to touch him, and assist him in leaving me." Viciously he backhanded his servant across the face. "Indeed no disrespect."

 

"Gary, stop this now! I'll be whatever you want me to be. You just have to let Ramone go."

 

Sneering as he turned to face Justin, Gary hissed, "I'm not certain I can trust any deal you decide to make." His eyes swept over the boy that made him inwardly tremble in the deepest of desire. "I'll need some kind of reassurance."

 

Revolted, yet feeling that fate had given him no other choice, Justin moved closer to his demented captor, his eyes downcast provocatively, instinctively knowing his gestures and words would make Gary forget everything else. "I can give you pleasure unlike any you've ever known. I mean, think about it. I am the man who made the most devout of studs fall in love. You just have to convince me that you can act with honor."

 

Gary growled as his body reacted to not only Justin's words, but his tone as well. He'd never wanted anything like he did this blond boy. Finally, he would have him. "Tonight, and every night that I require it - you will serve me in my bed. Fail to deliver, and not only dear Ramone suffers the consequences... but your precious Brian does as well. You are the only one that can keep them safe."

 

Justin gasped indignantly. "I know you have that kind of power here, but you can't reach Brian in Pittsburgh."

 

Laughing mockingly, Gary stuck the knife in deeper. "I know you aren't naïve enough to believe that. You know the lengths I went to in faking your death. In fact, I have men watching Kinney 24/7. He will never find you... and if he does, I will kill him before he reaches you. Your beloved hero is lost to you now." Gary moved closer, his eyes drilling into the ones that now displayed sheer helplessness. "You are mine now, Justin. Completely mine..."

 

Shaking his head, forcing himself to escape the memories of the not-so-distant past, tears slid down his face. "Brian..." he whispered brokenly. "If only I could see you just one more time. It would be enough. I would make it be enough."

 


 

Brian fastened his seatbelt, only half hearing the flight attendant issuing instructions. All of a sudden, he felt his heart leaping in his chest. For what, he didn't know. Perhaps it was in the hope that he was on a mission to reclaim something precious... something tangible that Justin had left behind that would always keep him alive in his heart. Whatever it was, he felt magnetically pulled to it now.

 

He looked out the window as the plane began to taxi down the runway, a slight smile on his lips. He wasn't certain of what he was feeling right now, but for the first time in years, he felt like he was moving toward something... instead of running away. He was anxious to find out what awaited him in Barbados, unaware that one word could answer him clearly.

 

Destiny.

 

TBC