- Text Size +

 

Craig's eyes slanted to his son, his voice lowered as he asked, "Who was that man, Justin?"

 

"I don't know, Father." Justin resisted the urge to look back at the disturbing, yet intriguing man.

 

His brow arched in surprise. "You didn't get a name?"

 

"There was hardly any time..." Justin answered, not really wanting to discuss his brief meeting with the man with his controlling and judgmental father. His resolve failing, Justin glanced back, only to find what he knew he would find. The man was following them from a distance.

 

Craig hissed, "There's no need to look, Justin. He's following us. Go on ahead to the restaurant. I'll join you soon."

 

Justin reluctantly moved ahead, knowing what his father would do. What his father always did when someone paid him too much personal attention. Strangely, it always seemed to be in regard to his own sex. Sometimes Justin wondered if his father had a suspicion that was where his preference resided. It was something he had never spoken of... such was taboo in these times. To publicly admit that he was entranced by men would not only destroy his flourishing career... but make him an outcast as well. Despite how much he abhorred his father's more controlling instincts, he had been the driving force to make him such a success. For that, Justin felt he owed him.

 

Brian watched as the man he knew to be not only Justin's father, but his manager as well, began to stride purposely toward him. He rolled his eyes, seeing that he couldn't avoid an encounter with him. Brian realized such was inevitable... but he hadn't wanted the delay of it right now. All he wanted was to see Justin. Talk to Justin. Be with Justin. And he would...

 

"Sir, might I have a moment?" Craig asked, his eyes cold, his tone even more condescending.

 

"Of course. You're Justin's manager and father... right?" Brian asked, knowing the familiarity in this time would raise the older man's hackles.

 

Eyes narrowed sharply. "I'm sorry, but do I know you? Or more to the point... does Justin?" He looked at him shrewdly for a long moment. "No. I didn't think so. Tell me this, are you a guest at the hotel?"

 

Brian stared at Craig Taylor blankly, knowing now more than ever - this man would pose a problem... but one that he was determined to overcome. Knowing he wasn't checked in as of yet, realizing he had to do it at precisely the same time he'd done so the first time he stayed here, Brian shortly answered him, "Of course."

 

Craig moved closer, doing his best to be intimidating... a flush staining his cheeks when he quickly observed this man wasn't backing away. "My son is a very busy man. He doesn't have time to make new acquaintances. Should you make yourself a nuisance to him, I will have you thrown out of the hotel!"

 

A mocking laugh followed, much the opposite of the reaction Craig's warning generally received. As the man walked away in his anger, Brian called out, "Shouldn't that decision be up to your son?"

 

Brian's steps stilled as he watched Craig rejoin his gorgeous son, realizing he had pushed the elder Taylor man as much as he should right now. He would watch and make his move. This controlling and obnoxious man wouldn't stand in his way. Brian couldn't believe that a man with the success and obvious intelligence as Justin, could be controlled as he apparently was, then, he reminded himself of the time he was now in. Things were different in this time period. Patience and proceeding with care weren't attributes that resided within his arsenal. Brian realized some things needed to change now. As his eyes moved over Justin from behind, he knew without a doubt - he would be worth every moment of effort.

 


 

Justin pushed his meal around on his plate with disinterest, his appetite surprisingly vanquished. He was staring blankly ahead, unaware of his mother staring at him in concern, his younger sister chatting incessantly. Had he looked up, he would have noticed his father's stern look of disapproval - both of them knowing exactly where Justin's mind had gone. At intervals, Justin would look up to gaze around the room, whether he understood it or not, knowing he was looking for a glimpse of that man he had met so briefly. What was it about that man? They had only just met and yet it felt as if he knew him... as if he'd always known him. Was he losing his mind?

 

Jennifer looked at her son in concern. Dabbing the corner of her mouth daintily, she asked, "Justin? Is everything okay? It's not like you not to eat."

 

"He's fine, Jennifer!" Craig hissed under his breath. "Remember, he's an actor... they are notoriously fickle."

 

Justin glared at his father, before he smiled reassuringly at his mother. "I'm fine, Mom. Just not very hungry tonight."

 

Craig immediately moved to change the subject. "Justin, I want you to spend some time with your costume designer in the morning. I'm really not happy with your suit in the last act."

 

"What's wrong with it? I've used it for every performance..." Justin argued, uncertain of where this rebellion had suddenly come from toward his authoritative father; upon looking around the table, seeing that everyone was equally surprised at Justin's sudden outspokenness.

 

"I don't intend to argue this with you, Justin. I am not only your father, but your manager as well. I know what's best." Craig pushed his meal away, his hand reaching for the coffee at his right.

 

"Fine," Justin mumbled in resignation. "I'll meet with him in the morning."

 

Craig eyed his son with annoyance, uncertain of where his son's sudden rebellious streak had materialized from, yet having his own suspicions. Everything had been fine until that man had arrived. He didn't know who he was or where he was from... but he needed to keep them apart. Of that, he was completely certain. Craig watched as one of the servers that had not been theirs for the evening stopped at Justin's side, his eyes narrowing on the intruder in irritation. "Well, what is it?" he snapped.

 

"I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, Mr. Taylor... but there's a man outside on the terrace that wishes to speak with young Mr. Taylor most urgently..." the man rambled on nervously.

 

"You can tell that interloper that my son doesn't receive visitors without an appointment... and I doubt that he'd be granted that privilege." Craig's eyes slanted to the doorway, knowing exactly who was on the other side waiting to interfere in his son's life further.

 

Justin laid his napkin down before standing to his feet. "No. I'll handle this. Just a conversation and I'm sure the man will be on his way."

 

"I don't approve of this, Justin! This man is trouble..." Craig protested vehemently.

 

Jennifer looked back and forth between them in concern. "Justin, I'm not sure you should meet with a stranger outside. Perhaps you should listen to your father."

 

"Nonsense, Mother. I met this man a short while ago. He means me no harm." Justin knew he had never meant anything more.

 

Craig's eyes flared at Justin's words. "You can't know that, Justin."

 

"I do know it... and I'm going to talk to him now. Go ahead and order dessert. I don't want any. I'll be back before you are finished." Justin walked away from the table and toward the balcony doors, knowing his father as he did that they wouldn't have long to speak. He slowly opened the door, stepping out onto the dimly lit terrace, his eyes lighting on the only man standing there. At closer inspection, Justin realized the man was even more breathtaking than he'd originally believed. He didn't know how to handle this stranger. Justin only knew that he needed to see him... hoping he could keep his curiosity and attraction for him to a minimum.

 

"Thank you for seeing me. I was on the verge of bursting into the restaurant. I knew your father would frown on such behavior..." Brian said, his steps taking him to meet Justin halfway.

 

Justin placed his most proper and blank expression on his face, one his career had caused him to master years ago. "Your name, please..."

 

Brian shook his head, slightly confused by the abruptness of his words. "Brian Kinney."

 

"Your place of residence?" Justin continued to demand.

 

"Chicago."

 

Justin continued on, needing to know as much as he could, uncertain of what answers he might find... or how he would interpret them when he had them. "Your occupation?"

 

"I'm a playwright." Brian watched the blond boy attentively, a frown creasing his brow as Justin backed away from his last answer.

 

"A playwright..." Justin echoed in a knowing tone.

 

Immediate realization befell him as he thought about his answer. "No, you're wrong. I didn't come here for that reason. Please hear me out... I know so much about you. It only leaves me wanting to know much more - give me that chance. Please."

 

"It's absurd. I've never met you before in my life, yet you say you know everything about me. It isn't possible, Sir."

 

Brian stepped even closer, the words tumbling out before he could still them. "Then, why did you say - is it you?"

 

"I don't have to answer that," Justin whispered, quickly averting his gaze, knowing he needed to keep his eyes away from this almost painfully beautiful man.

 

He grasped at Justin's arm as he moved to place some distance between them. "I know you don't. I wish you would, though."

 

Justin glanced inside the restaurant, quickly noticing his father hovering nearby... knowing they could be interrupted at any moment. "I need to get back inside... My family is waiting for me."

 

Brian glared in the direction of Craig Taylor. "What's his problem anyway?"

 

A smile appeared that didn't quite reach Justin's eyes. "He's just looking out for me."

 

Resisting an eye roll, along with the comment that he thought to be more to the point - Craig Taylor was merely looking out for himself, Brian asked, "When can I see you again?"

 

Justin pulled away, feeling himself being pulled deeper to this stranger that he now knew to be Brian Kinney. "I- I have to go."

 

Brian reached out to stop him, only to find his hand meeting the air as Justin eluded his grasp. So lost in his need to connect with Justin, he didn't notice the smirking dark-haired man standing at the edge of the terrace, looking on in glee at the unsuccessful meeting. If he had turned his gaze, Brian would have immediately realized he not only had an enemy... but another rival for Justin's affections. A man who knew exactly how far Brian had traveled to be with his one true soulmate. A man who had been instrumental in working events to bring Brian back to this time, all with the intentions of destroying the love that had grown on this special island at this exact time. In doing that, he would have his chance to make Justin his... and his alone. Justin would not waste his life yearning for this brief moment in time he'd shared with Brian. That relationship would be severed before love could grow. Little did the dark-haired man know that fate had decreed otherwise. Love had been reborn the very moment their eyes met again.

 

TBC