- Text Size +

 

"Justin, we need to talk..." Jennifer Taylor announced loudly as she barged into her son's room uninvited.

 

With a moan, Justin pulled the covers over his head... having no desire to do this now. He had only arrived home from his night with Brian a couple of short hours ago. He was exhausted, yet blissfully satisfied. A confrontation with his mother was the last thing he wanted this morning. "Just a bit longer, Mom. I'm tired..."

 

"I'm sure you are... most particularly with your busy social life these days." When Justin remained unresponsive, Jennifer more than upped the ante. "Well, if you don't want to discuss it with me, I can always get your father in here. I'm sure he'd be more than interested in your erratic behavior, not to mention the things you are drawing these days."

 

Justin's eyes immediately sprung open under the covers, his hand pulling it down just enough to look at his mom to cautiously gauge her expression. She wasn't kidding around. Rarely was she... but never did she threaten him with his father. Placing an impassive look on his face, Justin told her, "There's nothing to talk about, Mom. I draw different things. You know that."

 

She eyed him intently. "Really. How about you tell me about Brian, then?"

 

"I'm not going to discuss this with you." He slid out of bed, moving quickly to his closet to pull out his clothes... knowing he had to get out of here - now. He shook his head at his Mom, who he trusted more than anyone, realizing she had so callously invaded his privacy. Now she knew... he needed to figure out what to do about that. Justin knew it wouldn't take long for her to get his father involved. "You couldn't possibly understand."

 

"Not understand?" Jennifer Taylor sharply responded. "Believe it or not, Justin, I was young once. I had desires. I most definitely had boyfriends."

 

Justin curled his lip as he looked at his mom in disbelief. "I don't want to hear about your boyfriends, Mom. That's just weird. And it's not the same. Not at all."

 

She took a step closer, moving directly into his personal space as he continued gathering his clothes. "How is it different, Justin. I'd love to hear this."

 

"Because you weren't gay!" Justin exclaimed, a moan of dismay falling from his lips as he noticed his outraged father appearing in the doorway of his room.

 

Craig Taylor stepped into the room, looking at his wife and son in abject horror. "What did you just say, Justin?"

 

He looked back and forth between his parents, feeling like the proverbial bird in the cage. He raised his head to stare at his father directly, refusing to back down... deciding now was the time to be brave. "You heard me fine, Dad. I'm gay. Translation... I like guys."

 

Jennifer's eyes widened as she took in her husband's reaction, knowing nothing good would come of this discussion. She moved closer to Justin preparing to reason with him, soon to realize it was too late when the actions that followed progressed so quickly she could barely understand them in the aftermath. In the blink of an eye, she watched as Craig shot forward, backhanding Justin viciously across the mouth... blood immediately spurting from his split lip.

 

"Craig!" she gasped in horror, rushing forward to tend to Justin... quickly forestalled by the hurt and anger in his eyes.

 

"Leave us, Jennifer. I'd like to speak to my son in private," Craig snarled, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides... the fight in him far from abated.

 

Justin turned fearful eyes to his father; even though his father had never raised a hand to him before... cognizant of the fact that a variable had changed after his declaration. Craig Taylor had hatred and open contempt in his eyes for his son. As he looked at his father closely, he couldn't see anything akin to understanding or love in his eyes. As far as Justin was concerned, this spelled the beginning of the end of his relationship with his father. Not that it had ever been that stellar, but he had never expected this fallout. "I don't think so, Dad. I'm taking a shower... and then I'm leaving. I've said all I have to say."

 

Jennifer's eyes remained wide with fright as she observed her husband's menacing stance, in combination with Justin's refusal to back down. "Craig, maybe that would be best. We all need to clear our heads a bit. Distance could be calming for all of us."

 

"I don't need to clear my head, Mom." Justin slid past his father, lowering them so as not to display how badly he had hurt him, his attention pulled to his cell phone ringing insistently on his bedside table. He ignored his anxious parents to go answer the call. Looking at the name that was not only programmed but surprisingly calling him, Justin answered, "Is that really you, Brian?"

 

Unbeknownst to the blond, Brian was sitting upright in his bed, his eyes wild and reddened... a combination of his day rest being disturbed and his worry for Justin. "Are you okay, Justin?"

 

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Justin asked.

 

"Hmmm, I don't know," Brian hedged. "I was sleeping and I just had a bad feeling. Perhaps it was a dream that I lost on awakening."

 

Justin nodded, glaring at his parents that stared at him, taking in every word. "Oh right. I do that sometimes. I'm just with my parents. We kind of had a disagreement of sorts. Uhhh, can I call you back?" Justin's voice lowered, hoping the desperation in his voice didn't carry over. "Better yet, can I see you tonight?"

 

Brian ran a hand through his hair, satisfied for the moment that nothing life-threatening was amiss with Justin. Knowing he should tell the little twat no and be done with him once and for all, Brian sighed in acceptance that he couldn't do that. More to the point - he didn't want to do it. "Fine, little fucker. Eight o'clock. Meet me at my loft."

 

"I'll be there, Brian. I can't wait," Justin whispered, his elation soaring to an unbelievable level just in the knowledge that not only would he be seeing Brian later, but that the elusive brunet was actually willingly arranging it as well.

 

Frowning, as he prepared to lay back down, Brian asked, "You're positive that everything is okay? I felt like you were in pain. I am rarely wrong about these things."

 

"I was for a moment, but I'm okay now." Justin smiled, not even pausing to wonder how Brian could have known this, so lost in his excitement, that not only had he heard from Brian, but that they had plans for later as well.

 

Brian's eyes turned feral as instant understanding assailed him. "It was your father, wasn't it, Justin? He hurt you. Tell me what happened. Now..."

 

"Justin, will you please hang up the phone? We need to talk to you..." Jennifer urged, uncertain of how much longer Craig's temper would stay in check, most particularly with Justin speaking with the man that was obviously their teenage son's lover.

 

Just a minute, he mouthed to his mother... not wanting Brian to hear all their bickering and find yet another reason to pull away from him. "I've got to go, Brian. I'll fill you in later."

 

Brian's gaze remained dark and full of purpose. "Yes, you will. I will see you later, Justin. Don't worry. Whatever the problem... I can fix it."

 

Justin smiled, beaming from the inside and out, totally oblivious to the look of rage that intensified on his father's face. His voice dropping low and husky, Justin told him, "I'm sure you can fix anything, Brian. I can't wait to see you."

 

Eyes softening slightly, Brian told him, "I need to get some rest, twat. We'll pick this up later."

 

"Bye Brian." Justin closed his phone, smiling in delight. That phone call had been an enormous progress. Brian cared about him... and for the first time wasn't denying him or pushing him away. He fully intended to build on that... regardless of what his parents had to say.

 

Craig's eyes bored into him, as his breathing became erratic. "Hold it right there, young man. You're not going anywhere. I'll be damned if my son is going to hang out with a group of disgusting faggots."

 

Jennifer gasped, her eyes urging Craig to stop his tirade immediately. As much as she didn't want Justin to go out and meet up with this Brian that she knew nothing about... she didn't want to lose her son. Craig's handling of this situation was quickly moving in that direction. "Craig, let him go. We need to talk about this... and we all need to calm down."

 

Justin didn't wait for permission or to hear his father's response. He dashed as quickly as possible into his bathroom and immediately into the shower, hoping his father would have gone out when he finished. He knew this day would eventually come, however, he hadn't expected it quite yet. Fuck, what was he going to do? He was seventeen years old. Could his parents throw him out of the house? If they did, where would he go? He knew where he wanted to go... where he felt in his heart he would be at some point. But he didn't think Brian was ready for that yet. They had begun to make such progress... but this was a huge leap. He didn't think the stubborn brunet was ready for that.

 


 

Craig hurried down the stairs, grabbing his keys as he moved toward the front door. He looked over his shoulder to see Jennifer following him, anger blazing in her eyes. "Don't start with me, Jennifer. I need to get to the store."

 

"You were out of line, Craig. You should not have hit him!" Jennifer snapped, her body trembling in remembrance of what she hoped wouldn't be the action that drove Justin away forever. "He will never forgive you for this."

 

"Whatever, Jennifer. He is out of line and a disgrace to my name." He opened the door, turning to look at her with rage filling his eyes. "This is what I want you to do. I want you to call a therapist and get him in. He is only seventeen years old. He's way too young to know this about himself. My feeling is that he's been brainwashed by these freaks he's hanging around with now."

 

Jennifer shook her head. "I don't think so, Craig. I've seen his drawings. It looks like he's been drawing pictures of men for a long time now. Although, his interest really seems centered on this Brian."

 

"The Brian he was on the phone with? What do you know about this kid?" Craig demanded.

 

"I know as much as you do. I don't even know if he's a student or not. All I know is how Justin thinks he feels about him." She took a deep breath, looking at her judgmental husband closely. "We have to be careful, Craig. I won't lose him... no matter what."

 

Craig rolled his eyes. "Quit being so dramatic, Jennifer. We won't lose him. He's just a kid. Where's he going to go? He needs us, right? Just make an appointment with the doctor. They will fix this."

 

She nodded, thinking it wouldn't be that easy, but willing to try anything to pull her family back together. "I'll make the appointment. Beyond that, I can't promise anything."

 


 

Brian hadn't been awake for long when he heard the incessant pounding at his door. He glanced over at the time seeing that it wasn't even seven o'clock yet. He knew it wouldn't be Justin yet. The boy would be anxious, but he would know better than to arrive this early. He could only think of one other person that would be so annoyingly persistent. Sliding into his pants, leaving the snap undone, he padded to the door, sliding it open with a blank stare fastened on his uninvited guest.

 

Michael stood on the other side staring at him adoringly, unbeknownst to Brian about to make a couple of revelations that he wouldn't be expecting, although ones that Michael thought Brian would more than welcome. "Hey, Brian. I know I probably woke you up, and I'm sorry, but I wanted to catch you before you went out."

 

"I wasn't planning on going out tonight..." Brian told him, his eyes speaking of his impatience for this conversation to progress quickly.

 

"That's great. We can spend the evening together. I never see you anymore," Michael told him petulantly. "Can I come in?"

 

Brian rolled his eyes, seeing this wasn't going to be a quick visit... yet, determined it to be over long before Justin arrived. He had been uneasy all day about the little blond. Brian never awakened from his rest feeling the call from another. Justin had been both in pain and distress, and he hadn't liked it. Rage had filled him like never before. If Justin hadn't assured him that he was fine, Brian knew he would have totally abandoned his rest to seek out the one that had been causing his blond pain. Brian shuddered. His blond. He had never had such a possessive feeling toward another man, nor such a connection. He didn't know how to make it stop. Fucking him again had been a mistake. Justin was so deep in his head and blood now, he couldn't push him out. In resignation, Brian realized he had already given up on doing that.

 

Opening the door, yet not closing it, Brian motioned him inside... watching with a narrowed-eyed gaze as Michael walked toward the couch, as always keeping his mind out of one of his friends. A rule he had always lived by, although sometimes it was extremely tempting to see what nonsense flitted in and out of their weak minds. Brian didn't stop to think that maybe in the case of Michael Novotny, it was more a case of not wanting to see the detail of Michael's innermost thoughts. "I don't have long, Michael. I need to get a shower... then, I have plans."

 

"I thought you said you weren't going out..." Michael began to whine.

 

"I'm not. My plans are coming here," Brian told him bluntly, finding the clinging tone in Michael's voice more than just a little unsettling. "Now, tell me what you want."

 

Michael smiled at Brian almost desperately. "You, Brian. Always you."

 

"Doesn't everyone..." Brian replied drolly, his brow arching at Michael's loving and almost obsessive stare. "What's this about, Michael? And where's your guard dog - again?"

 

"I'm going to end things with David tonight. I can't live this lie anymore," Michael answered, watching as the object of his desire moved closer.

 

"Lie? What the fuck are you going on about, Michael... and what does it have to do with me?" Brian snapped, tired of this already.

 

Michael looked up at Brian, yearning filling his eyes. "I never loved David. All I was doing with him was passing time."

 

"Uh-huh. Again, what does that have to do with me?"

 

"Don't you get it, Brian? I've always loved you... and I know you love me, too. We were meant to be together. I get that you can't be monogamous. I can live with that as long as we're together..." Michael said, stepping closer to Brian, ignoring the confusion and anger in Brian's eyes. "It's time now, Brian. I can't let you waste any more of our time... most especially on that insipid kid that doesn't deserve your attention."

 

"Michael, I'm going to pretend you got some bad shit from Anita and ignore this conversation. Now, I suggest you go find your obnoxious Dr. David. I love you, Michael, but as my friend - nothing more. Stop now before that has to be reevaluated as well," Brian snapped, forcing himself not to throw him out on his delusional ass.

 

Michael reached out, running his hands up and down Brian's bare chest. "You don't mean that, Brian. You love me. You have to love me."

 

"I don't have to do anything. Now, you need to leave. I'm expecting someone... and I don't want you to be here when he arrives," Brian told him coldly.

 

"It's him, isn't it? Justin is coming here - again," Michael sneered, not ceasing his movements on Brian's chest until Brian snapped and finally flung his hands away. Michael's eyes became cold and calculating. "That's perfect, actually."

 

"Perfect how?" Brian asked, his eyes darkening, his lust for blood beginning to rise to the surface. Michael had no idea how close he was to being attacked. One, he was hungry... and two, he was pissing him off. Not a favorable combination for his guest.

 

Michael chuckled as if he thought himself to be holding all the cards, ones that he was set to reveal before collecting his winnings. "I know your secret, Brian. I've been watching you for such a long time. Waiting for the right moment to use it."

 

"My secret?" Brian asked, refraining still from using his mind-reading skills... waiting for the precise moment to attack.

 

"I know you're a vampire. I've watched you. It amazed me how much you lower your guards in the presence of your friends. However, that works out well for me, doesn't it?" Michael boasted, still believing he would win this battle. "This is what I want, Brian. What you have no choice but to give me. I want you to end things with Justin tonight. You are going to break his teenage heart... and then you are going to turn to me. If you don't, I will reveal your secret to not only Justin, but to the world."

 

"You are such a fool, Michael. Sadly, you will never understand how much of one..." Brian growled, beginning to move around Michael... his primitive instincts would soon overtake him. He moved to place his lips against Michael's ear, whispering in savage menace, "What's to stop me from killing you - here and now?"

 

Michael trembled, but not from fear. Desire overwhelmed him as he watched the primitive beast in Brian soar to life. "You could never kill me. Think about it, Brian. You do love me... much more than you could ever love that pathetic kid. And besides that, I have a bit of an insurance policy."

 

"Oh? Do tell. I'm breathless with anticipation..." Brian drawled, his eyes shuttered for a brief moment as he looked into Michael's mind.

 

"I have letters in a safe deposit box. In the event of my death, the key would be found, and your secret would be revealed. So, you see, Brian... you have no real choice." Michael turned to face him, his eyes shining in his anticipated victory. "Don't worry, my darling. It won't be a hardship. I will give you more pleasure than Justin ever could. I'll be everything to you."

 

Brian arched his brow looking at a man he formerly called a friend, disgust twisting his face. There was no way he would ever forgive this betrayal... nor were there any circumstances in which he would give up Justin. He has already determined that the boy belonged to him, at least for as long as he wanted him. Without a doubt, he still wanted him. And he would continue to have him until that changed. He smiled as he pulled from Michael's all too open mind, cold laughter erupting. "Poor Mikey. Not so good at this game."

 

"What do you mean?" Michael asked, his eyes widening in alarm.

 

"You're bluffing. I can read your mind. There are no letters... and no safety deposit box. You are defenseless... and you are about to pay the price," Brian hissed, as his hand shot out to encircle Michael's throat.

 

Michael's eyes bulged, his lips opening and closing in response to the fierce pressure of Brian's grasp. "W-What are you going to do?" he barely managed to gasp out.

 

"Don't worry, Michael. I'm not going to kill you... at least not tonight. Justin will be here soon, and I don't want to waste my time dispensing with your body. However, I will have my meal... and then we'll come to a mutual understanding." Brian didn't give Michael any opportunity to answer as his fangs slid fiercely into the side of his neck, drawing deeply on his life-giving blood. His mind instantly connected with his victim. Using his mental abilities of control, Brian passed his thoughts to Michael... confident in his power and Michael's inability to resist it.

 

"You no longer perceive yourself as being in love with me. When you leave here tonight, you won't remember your visit. You will return to your life with David, blissfully unaware of anything but him. When you see me again, love is the last thing you will feel. You will be filled with fear. All that you've learned about me will be forgotten... All that you will remember is your fear of me. But you will not express it to anyone else."

 

Brian's lips curved in a feral smile against Michael's neck, knowing his message had been delivered by the quivering he felt in Michael; a tremble that went far beyond his loss of blood, but was more about the growing fear that now began to live within him. Suddenly, Brian felt his own fear... one of a different kind when he heard the gasp coming from the open doorway. He pulled free, blood still dripping from his fangs as his reddened eyes looked on the shocked ones that now faced him.

 

He stepped away from Michael who was still dazed and frozen in place. He reached out a hand, imploring Justin to step inside. "Justin... come here," Brian whispered, his voice dropping to a pitch of molten lava... rich, hungry, and inviting.

 

Justin shook his head back and forth, unable to get a grasp on what he was now seeing. "B-Brian? I don't understand. What's going on? More to the point... what the fuck are you?"

 

TBC