- Text Size +

 

Justin smiled as he slowly made his way down the stairs, a beaming smile upon his face as his mom took continuous pictures of his descent in his prom ensemble. He knew his mom so well. As soon as the camera lowered from her eyes, he would see the brimming tears... if they were not already falling. She was so sensitive. In her mind, the prom signified her baby boy growing up. In truth, he had already done that, but this event made it even more present in her eyes. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, he smiled at her knowingly, before he asked, "Are you going to fill the camera with me walking down the stairs?"

 

Jennifer lowered the camera, raising her chin and blinking away unshed tears. "Don't be ridiculous, Justin. It's a digital camera. Highly unlikely I'd fill the memory card."

 

"Right. You forget how well I know you..." Justin teased, moving to the mirror to check his appearance one more time. Looking over his shoulder, he asked, "Where's Dad?"

 

"He had to work late, but he said to tell you he hopes you have a good evening," Jennifer told him, still unable to believe herself the change that had come over Craig regarding Justin in such a short time. No matter how it had happened, she didn't question it. Things had never been this good for their family. She didn't want anything to change. "So, I just spoke with Daphne's mother, and she assured me she'd take plenty of pictures when you pick up Daphne."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "I'm sure." He scowled at her briefly for a moment, before reminding, "You know this isn't actually a date with Daphne. We're just arriving together."

 

"Yes, yes... I know, Justin. You're going together, but you will be waiting for the man of your dreams to show up." She looked at Justin in concern, hoping he wouldn't be too hurt if Brian didn't show up. "Umm, you do realize Brian is very busy with running his club. He might not make it."

 

"He'll be there, Mom. I don't know how much of the night he'll be there, but I know he won't let me down. Not tonight." Justin hugged his mother tightly for a long moment, whispering into her ear, "Don't worry. This is going to be the best night of my life. I'm going to dance proudly in front of everyone with the man I love. It doesn't get any better than that."

 

Jennifer nodded as she watched Justin pocket his keys and head out the door. She watched as he backed out of the driveway, a smile on her lips... yet unable to shake the feeling of unease that overtook her. Stepping back inside, she shrugged it off from watching her only son heading off to his high school prom; insomuch knowing that a large chapter of his life and hers was coming to a close. That's all it could be. As Justin proclaimed, this would be the best night of his life. Jennifer smiled as she sat down in the living room, knowing it would be as long as Brian showed up to dance with Justin at least once.

 


 

Brian stood in front of the mirror, surveying himself critically... deciding he looked perfect as always. He turned to look at Michael standing directly behind him, asking him the pointless question. "How do I look?"

 

"Beautiful as always, Brian." Michael shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe you're going to Justin's high school prom."

 

"It's important to him," Brian answered in that tone that meant the subject was now closed. He looked at Michael closely for a moment, searching deeply into his mind... relieved to find that cloying love that Michael had formerly thought he held for him to now be more based in friendship. He was fine with that.

 

Once he had found Michael's ill-fated crush beginning to dissipate, Brian had elected to release him from the fear he had instilled in him. Brian would never view him as the friend he once did, there had been too much betrayal... nor would he interfere in Michael's life with the repugnant Dr. David. With all that had passed between them, he felt it to be a just punishment. Perhaps it was the cold-hearted, primitive side of him, but he didn't care about that. Right now all he cared about was making this a special night for Justin... one his beloved blond so richly deserved.

 

Michael looked at Brian wistfully, but not as a lost love - more as a friend that would be truly missed. "My flight leaves tonight. I guess this is goodbye."

 

"I guess so," Brian echoed. Despite everything that had happened between them, Brian would miss him... if only a little. It was hard for him to get past what Michael had attempted to do... yet, part of him remembered that everyone made mistakes and they had been friends at one time. Those thoughts were just enough to push him into advising him. "Michael, about Dr. David. Are you really sure you want to make that move? I'm not going to waste my time repeating everything I don't like about him, you already know that, but are you sure he's the right one for you?"

 

"Yeah. I'm sure. I know he can be arrogant, opinionated.... very much like you, in fact. I love him, though. I think we can make it work," Michael told him, smiling up at Brian, his heart seeming very much into this move.

 

Brian nodded. "Okay, that's all that matters, then. If you ever need anything, even if it's plane fare back home, you can call me."

 

"I know, Brian. Thank you." Michael searched Brian's eyes intently for a moment, knowing there was something in the back of his mind he wanted to say... but unable to get a grasp on it. Something had changed between them, but he couldn't remember it. With a shrug, he decided it didn't really matter. Things were fine between them now. That was all that mattered. "Well, I'd better go. Ma will want to fuss over me a bit before I leave."

 

"That she will. Take care, Mikey," Brian told him, turning back to place the scarf around his neck... knowing he looked perfect; determined to give into his blond's ridiculously romantic ideas... in doing so giving them both a night they would long remember.

 


 

Daphne crinkled up her nose as she looked around the room; sipping her punch she smiled seeing how miserable Justin was as he tried not to continuously search the room. Always Brian. God, she hoped one day she loved someone that much, and that they loved her back the same. She was beginning to have her doubts he would come... as she had when Justin had told her initially. A high school prom just didn't seem a good fit for the jaded Brian Kinney. Although, she did have to give Brian credit. He had changed so much from the first time she'd met him. Of course, she had only watched him in action a few times, but he had evolved greatly in her eyes during that time. Brian loved Justin. She didn't doubt that for one single moment.

 

Justin sighed, as he grabbed another glass of punch. "He's not coming, Daph. He'd have been here by now. Something held him up... or someone."

 

Looking around the crowded room, Daphne smiled when she saw the familiar face and form of Justin's idol. Nudging him lightly in the arm, she told him, "He's here."

 

His head turning quickly to the direction of Daphne's gaze, Justin's eyes lit up as a matching smile spread across his lips. His heart all but leaped out of his chest as he watched Brian's lazy approach. "I don't believe it. You actually came."

 

Brian rolled his lips under, a playful glint lighting his eyes. "No, I haven't yet, but I'm quite sure you'll rectify that for me later."

 

Daphne blushed, thinking this was the time for her to exit. "I'll just leave you boys alone."

 

"Thanks, Daph," Justin answered, continuing to beam in delight... unable to come down from the high he now felt. Brian had come to his prom. It signified so much. His primitive lover had shown it in so many ways how much he cared about him... but tonight, he hoped Brian would finally say the words. More than anything he hoped that.

 

Brian ran his finger underneath Justin's lapel, moving in closer... using all the restraint he possessed not to smash his lips against his blond's, uncertain of how large of a spectacle Justin wanted to make of himself in front of his classmates. "Well, Mr. Taylor? I came for a dance. Shall we?"

 

Justin nodded his head enthusiastically. "Oh yes, Mr. Kinney. We most certainly shall."

 

As they moved out onto the dance floor, the next song began... one that would always be remembered in connection with them for a long time to come. The notes of Save the Last Dance sounded loud and clear in the gymnasium... soon the other dancers making way for the intense spectacle they were making. Their bodies were in complete sync. Turn for turn, dip for dip, spin for spin. It was perfect. Not a person present, student, or teacher could possibly dispute the feeling between these two lovers. The song ended only too soon for them, one about to tell the other he would be making his departure.

 

So lost in each other, they didn't see the malicious eyes that watched them exit the gymnasium. A young man that was consumed with jealousy and hatred. One that vowed to find the precise moment to enact his own brand of justice.

 

They nearly ran toward Brian's jeep, Justin leaning up against it... staring up at Brian with open adoration in his eyes. Their lips met at first tenderly... before turning into a passionate embrace that was a familiar dance for them. Justin's fingers slid in and out of brunet strands, unwilling to sever their connection. When their lips at last parted, Justin sighed deeply, knowing he'd never been more content in his entire life. "Thank you, Brian. This was perfect."

 

"My pleasure, Taylor," Brian smirked. "It was worth it to see the looks on all their faces. There was never a more thorough fuck ‘em ever displayed."

 

Justin laughed. "It was great. Can I see you afterward?"

 

"I think you know the answer to that." Brian kissed him again deeply, his mouth moving over Justin's hungrily, a part of him wanting to take him with him now... yet, another part of him wanting him to go back inside and experience all his youthful existence had to offer. "Stay and enjoy the rest of the prom. This is your only chance for this night. Don't waste it. Once you drop Daphne home, then come to me at the loft. I'll be waiting for you."

 

Justin nodded enthusiastically. "I'll be there." He stood there immobile, watching as Brian slipped into his jeep and slowly pulled away, oblivious to his protective lover keeping watch over him through the side mirror. With a dreamy smile on his face, Justin began to make his way back inside pausing only when he heard a malevolent voice calling out behind him.

 

"Disgusting little faggot..." Chris Hobbs sneered, running directly up behind him.

 

Daphne had just stepped out of the building to look for Justin, when her eyes filled with terror as she watched the horror that was about to unfold. "Justin! Look out!"

 

Justin had begun to turn when he heard Chris' voice, his eyes widening in shock... words lodged in his throat - the bat immediately connecting with his skull. Not only once, but over and over again.

 

Screaming in horror, rushing forward, uncaring she was risking her own life, she began to hammer at Chris' back, demanding that he stop. Immediately, she realized Justin's dream was about to become his nightmare as Chris shoved her roughly aside, her own head scraping along the pavement. As soon as she landed, she crawled toward her handbag to retrieve her phone, despite the pain her movements evoked. Once she had reached it, she began sobbing and screaming as she placed the 9-1-1 call. It was only a brief moment later, she felt a presence move past her quickly... yet unseen. When she looked toward Justin, she found Brian hunched over Justin's bloody body, his hands cradling him close to his chest.

 

Brian's eyes were savage as he took in the perimeter... his powerful gaze immediately taking in the body of the boy taking flight. He glanced briefly over at Daphne, already hearing sirens in the distance. "Are you okay?" he clipped out.

 

Shakily she stood to her feet, the fall causing her to limp forward. "Yes. Chris came out of nowhere. He kept beating Justin over and over. Fuck. He wouldn't s-stop."

 

He reached his hand out to feel for Justin's pulse, relieved to find a faint response... grimly realizing there was nothing he could do with his own powers to save Justin - not here and now. The ambulance was upon them now, and there was Daphne. He couldn't reveal himself here. "He's breathing. But he's lost too much blood."

 

"We'll take it from here, Sir..." the ambulance attendant brusquely told him, attempting to dislodge the unmovable force.

 

"I'm riding with him," Brian told them, his eyes and stance leaving no room for argument. As they began to work on Justin, he looked toward Daphne. His voice low and deadly cold, Brian said, "You said, Chris..."

 

She nodded. "Yes, Chris Hobbs. He's a bigoted asshole. Justin thinks he's a closet case."

 

Brian's eyes blazed in fury, knowing better than to speak any response aloud. Chris Hobbs. Soon you meet your date with destiny.

 

The attendant looked at Brian, his voice curt and piercing, "If you're coming with us, you need to come now. His vital signs are very weak. And Sir... I would advise you to contact the immediate family. It doesn't look good."

 

Nodding, Brian followed them into the ambulance, calling out to Daphne. "Can you call his parents? I- I can't deal with that right now."

 

Daphne's body was shaking, sobs of pain and fear overwhelming her. She sat still as the other attendant checked her injuries, answering Brian hollowly, "Yes, I'll call them, Brian. Stay with him, please. He loves you more than anything."

 

A lone tear fell down Brian's cheek. He climbed into the ambulance, reaching out to grasp Justin's hand, pulling it to cradle against his chest. His voice breaking, Brian whispered, "I won't leave you, Sunshine. No matter what it takes, I will get you through this." Staring bleakly at Justin's pale and still body, Brian shook his head back and forth. "I love you, Taylor. We're not done yet - you and I."

 

The attendant that was monitoring Justin's vitals from the other side nodded at Brian in approval. "Keep talking to him, Sir. We never know how much they can understand when unconscious. Your voice could be what brings him back."

 

Brian shook his head, his powers telling him more than these medical professionals could ever understand. Justin was quickly slipping away. He would not let this happen. Justin belonged to him... more importantly, they belonged together. He wasn't powerless, though. Justin had his blood in his body. It was that fact that sustained Justin now. Brian's decision had been made the moment he had found Justin's prone body. Justin would never be vulnerable like this again. Tonight, Justin became immortal. Once that was done, Chris Hobbs would be hunted and killed.

 

This addiction they held for each other would be fed forever.

 

TBC