- Text Size +

 

"Ms. Swinton, can you come in here?" Brian's voice was brusque as he released the button, his blood still raging from the unexpected meeting that ended mere moments ago. He had never been so tempted to throw a man across his desk as he had with that hot little blond. If he had viewed that perfect backside of his when he had entered his office, he doubted he would have managed it... no matter how much he always maintained control over his more primitive desires.

 

He wanted him now... and he would have him. In the past, he had never burned for a man like this... most definitely, not with such intensity. However, he needed to know more first. When he claimed that beautiful blond, he would know everything about him. Looking up as his personal secretary stepped inside, Brian told her succinctly, "I want to know everything about that young man that just left my office... and I want to know it quickly. Make certain you pass that on to my investigators."

 

"Yes, Sir." She frowned as she worried that she had made a mistake in letting the wrong visitor in to see her stern employer. Perhaps she should have discussed the change with her boss before allowing the young man access. One thing she knew for certain - Brian Kinney had a low tolerance for mistakes. "Mr. Kinney? Is there a problem? I- I mean, did I make an error in allowing Mr. Taylor in to see you?"

 

Shaking his head, Brian curtly replied, "Under different circumstances, perhaps it would have been... however, not in this case."

 

"Oh good." She released a deep sigh of relief, her worry of displeasing him in such a small manner more unsettling than it probably should have been. Brian Kinney was such a difficult man most of the time. He was always courteous to the staff, and from what she could detect, his business associates as well. Although, this edge always surrounded him. It was difficult to define, she only knew she didn't want to be the one that disappointed him. This was a very well-paying job. Risking it was the last thing she would ever want to do. "Was there anything else you needed before I leave for lunch?"

 

"No, Ms. Swinton... that will be all." Brian's eyes fell back down to his Apple computer, his gaze lifting as another thought assailed him. Just as she was reaching the door, he called out, "One more thing..."

 

Instantly turning on her heels to face him, she smiled, before asking, "Yes, Sir?"

 

"Should Mr. Taylor ever ask to see me in future, I want to be advised immediately. I don't care if I am in a meeting or not." His eyes were sharp on the surprised expression on his secretary's face. It was understandable on her part. He never allowed open access to anyone - not even his closest of friends. "Make certain everyone in reception, and the main lobby is privy to that information."

 

"Of course. I'll advise them immediately." She paused for a moment, not moving or opening the door... her boss' directive playing heavily in her mind. Justin Taylor had made quite an impression on the man that was generally unimpressed by one and all. She was slightly taken aback by that... and worried at the same time. As she remembered her encounter with the young man, she clearly recalled being both curt and rude to him. She hoped that wouldn't be a problem for her employer.

 

Eyes narrowing as he watched her remaining silent and unmoving, Brian asked her, "Is there a problem, Ms. Swinton?"

 

"I'm not sure, Sir..." she began hesitantly. How was she to tell her impatient boss that she was much more brusque with Justin Taylor than was appropriate? She wasn't even certain why she had been. All she knew was that the young man had rubbed her in the wrong way. He hadn't been nearly as appreciative as she thought he should be under the circumstances. Relaying that to her boss, who seemed to be in approval of the man, could go very badly.

 

Clearing his throat, knowing no words needed to be spoken... his impatience more than shown in his response, Brian stared at her expectantly, knowing he probably wasn't going to like what she had to say.

 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kinney, but I'm afraid I wasn't very polite to Mr. Taylor when he arrived. I know how you feel about surprises, and changes to your schedule of any kind... so when he came in here without a care in the world, well... I wasn't very nice." She looked down as she spoke, only brave enough to raise her head once she had finished speaking.

 

"That displeases me, Ms. Swinton..." Brian curtly replied. It didn't matter that he desired to claim the young man in a variety of ways. What did was the fact that a key member of his office staff was openly discourteous to one of his visitors. That was unacceptable. "You know my rules. They are simple, therefore... very easy to follow. You are to extend courtesy to anyone who gains access to my office. Is that difficult to understand?"

 

Her face paled at the anger on her employer's face, she nervously stuttered, "N-no, I understand, Sir. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again..."

 

"Yes, you will. That is - if you wish to remain employed by me. Now... get in touch with the PI agency; after that, you may go to lunch." After giving his normally proficient secretary a last withering glance, Brian returned his attention to the files awaiting him... a sign that this discussion had more than ended.

 

Not even acknowledging Ms. Swinton's rushed departure, Brian forced himself to focus on the work in front of him, without a doubt in his mind that the days, weeks, and even months ahead, could be filled with distractions.

 

A smile of anticipation curved his lips. He couldn't wait to get started...

 


 

Daphne was sitting on the couch when Justin got home, for the first time in a couple of days dressed and displaying a bit more color in her cheeks. Justin smiled at her. "You look much better than before I left."

 

"I feel it." Curled up with her legs tucked beneath her, she looked at her friend expectantly, before impatiently asking, "Well... how did it go?" She bit her lip nervously. "You've been gone for a long time. Don't tell me they wouldn't accept you as my replacement?"

 

Justin flopped down in the chair across from her, his eyes staring blankly ahead... still unable to process all the strange events of that meeting. "Oh, they accepted me. Well, Mr. Kinney's secretary was less than receiving, but you did warn me about her."

 

"She's vicious..." Daphne shuddered. "I guess someone as important as Brian Kinney does need his doors devoutly guarded." Her eyes drifting to where Justin placed her tape recorder, and notepad on the table, she rushed on to ask, "So... how did it go? Did he answer the questions? What was he like?"

 

"Damn, Daph... Slow down!" Justin laughed, as always, unable to resist her enthusiasm. "What's he like? In one word - intense. He answered the questions." Grinning sheepishly, he added, "Along with some more that I added."

 

"What!?" Daphne exclaimed in shock. "You asked him something I hadn't thought of asking? What could that have been?"

 

Averting his eyes, knowing Daphne would scold him for asking such a personal question that could have jeopardized the interview, he softly admitted, "I kind of asked him if he was gay..."

 

Despite her overall body weakness, Daphne stood to her feet, her eyes wide in shock. "Gay? Are you kidding me, Justin? Why would you ask him something like that?"

 

Justin grunted. "It seemed like the thing to do at the time." Reflecting back on that particular moment, he almost wondered if he had been tricked into asking such an intimate and totally inappropriate question. The entire dynamic had changed between them from that moment on. Justin felt a shiver overtake him as he remembered the intensity of the lust burning in the older man's eyes. He had felt possessed by a single glance. Even now, safe at home, he could still feel those hazel eyes devouring him. The most surprising part of all was that the man allowed him to leave his building untouched.

 

Reaching for the recorder and notes Justin had placed on the table, she looked at him with impatience visible in her eyes. "Well? What did he say? Is he gay... or not?"

 

"Oh, he's gay alright. Of course, I never doubted it..."

 

Rolling her eyes, she grabbed the notepad before plopping back down on the couch. "I'll never get this gaydar thing. Maybe someday I'll write a story about it."

 

Justin snickered. "You'd have to become gay to do that, but you are the best fag hag a guy could ever have..."

 

She tossed a throw pillow at his chest. "Jerk!" she reproached, her tight-lipped scowl quickly turning into a laugh. "Seriously, though... it went okay with Mr. Kinney?"

 

"Depends on your point of view, but for the interview, and the questions you needed answered, he was very gracious with his time and answers. He went well over the time he had slotted for you." Justin didn't tell her how he believed that was solely because the other man had been assessing him. In fact, he would go as far as to say - he had been hunting him. He quivered as he thought of those intense hazel eyes not only dissecting him... but virtually eating him up. During the walk home, he had felt as if he had been followed, although he knew that wasn't true. It was just the overwhelming presence Brian Kinney had about him; even when gone from his sight - the man was still felt.

 

"Well... I noticed you were gone much longer than expected." She smiled at him gratefully, thankful for his efforts, and the fact of her illness seems to be lessening. "I'm going to lay down, and listen to the interview. Hopefully, I can work on the article later."

 

Justin felt heat rising to his face as he thought of her listening to the recording. "Uhhh, Daph? About the recording..."

 

Daphne groaned. "Don't tell me you forgot to record it?"

 

"Oh no, I recorded it. I... Well, let's just say we got off topic a bit. There will be more to the interview than you had listed."

 

Waving him off, she teasingly retorted, "As long as the two of you didn't have sex across his desk, I'm sure I'll get through it..."

 

Justin gasped. He remembered Mr. Kinney's reference to such an event. Thankfully, the brunet had paused the recording during that moment. "Uhhh, no. He didn't lay a finger on me."

 

"It's not his finger I was thinking about..." Daphne laughed as Justin's face continued to turn a bright shade of red.

 

Swearing underneath his breath, Justin muttered, "I think I liked you better when you were ill."

 

Clutching the recorder and notepad to her chest, Daphne smirked warmly at her best friend. "Nah. You love me too, Jus. Thank you again. I can't tell you how much this means to me."

 

"I know... and you're welcome." He smiled at her reassuringly, watching as she made her way to her bedroom, not seeking to alarm her regarding the intensity of the man in question. Even though there were no realistic scenarios that his path would ever cross with Brian Kinney's again, Justin knew that they would meet again.

 

He shivered as he remembered the voice that had been more of a growl when spoken - "If you were mine, you wouldn't be dancing on the tables of any nightclub. Nor would you be waiting tables." His heart raced as he remembered those words and the intent in the older man's eyes. Yes, they would meet again... and he had a feeling it would be when he least expected it. He only hoped he was ready for it... and for what that meeting would entail.

 

TBC